Welcome Guest
The time is now 10:13 pm
You last visited August 29, 2014, 10:09 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

when win big, can we hide our privacy?

Topic closed. 5 replies. Last post 10 years ago by tg636.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #8863
November 20, 2004
36 Posts
Posted: January 9, 2005, 4:05 pm - IP Logged

hi all,

when we win big, like megamiilions and powerball or maybe $1,75,000, is there any option we hide our name, home address and other personal info from media? cos bad guys always watching big winner....like Jack Whit

do we have to pay $$$ to hide our privacy
thanks!

rabbitfoot's avatar - 8ball

United States
    Member #620
    August 25, 2002
    205 Posts
    Posted: January 9, 2005, 7:12 pm - IP Logged

Under the Freedom of Information Act, I doubt if one can truely hide there winnings.  And, I still have my doubts that one could hide their identity by taking their winnings via a trust.

I play to dream and dream of winning a major jackpot!

North Carolina
      United States
      Member #4313
      April 11, 2004
      2389 Posts
      Posted: January 9, 2005, 7:41 pm - IP Logged

Gee whiz, I hope I have the opportunity one day to worry about that subject!

Gentlespirit
      'Be Loving and Peaceful'Blue Angel

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
        Wisconsin
        United States
        Member #1303
        March 27, 2003
        1508 Posts
        Posted: January 9, 2005, 7:51 pm - IP Logged

As far as I understand, it's a public lottery ; therefore, the information is available to anyone who wants to request it.

This is probably why (according to stories I've heard on the news) that Jackpot winners are already receiving phone calls and mail from people looking for "donations" and handouts that they've never heard of before, even before they get their first check.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

EU
          Estonia
          Member #4217
          April 1, 2004
          25 Posts
          Posted: January 11, 2005, 4:39 pm - IP Logged

Hi all,

As far as a know there are at least few trusts who collected big Powerball jackpot. I wonder, if press doesn`t know who you are and just write:"winner collected money as ABC LLC" then how anybody else, beside your lawer, irs and lottery peaple, could ever know your name, adress etc?

What`s the point of trust if we cannot TRUST it?

United States
            Member #972
            December 30, 2002
            461 Posts
            Posted: January 13, 2005, 12:57 pm - IP Logged

A trust would be the way to go for total privacy, especially for a huge jackpot that would make headlines.  But I believe even if your name is out there, you can still act firmly and sensibly to avoid excess publicity, like non-lottery millionaires do. Be as boring as possible. Don't allow your picture to be posed for the paper or lottery web site, don't give interviews (or give one and that's it), don't respond to begging requests, change phone number to unlisted, don't claim money while living at your current address, in fact go on a world trip and don't go to your home for several months after winning and consider moving to another state or country when you return.  In a year or 2, you will be just another wealthy person among many and not many people will care about the source of your wealth.  Unless your life is a series of screw ups, like Jack Whittaker.