Welcome Guest
The time is now 2:14 am
You last visited April 25, 2014, 2:02 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Instant Ticket Distribution

Topic closed. 6 replies. Last post 8 years ago by sirbrad.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
PA
United States
Member #22983
October 6, 2005
2010 Posts
Posted: December 11, 2005, 8:15 am - IP Logged

I have always wondered about the distribution of large winning lottery tickets. How are they distributed throughout the county? Is it decided beforehand where all the winners will go, or is it somehow a random process? Reason I ask is, I have been playing all types of lottery scratch offs, and tv games for a very long time now, and have yet to win a large prize (anything over $100) and have yet to hear about anyone from my area winning ANY big prizes.

Heck I never even heard of them winning any of the jackpot TV games either. Does each county get an equal share of the big ticket winners, or are they discriminately placed only in higher population areas? That is what I believe actually, and I have not played scratch offs for about a year because of this belief. I do not believe there are any big winning tickets in my area at all. I also notice no big winners on the the winners lists at all from my town.

I wrote the same email to lottery headquarters, as I am curious as to what they have to say about it. 

Sparta, NJ
    United States
    Member #18331
    July 9, 2005
    1977 Posts
    Posted: December 11, 2005, 10:45 am - IP Logged

I went down the same road last year.  The position is, certain populated areas sell more tickets, thus have a greater chance of hitting a package with a winning combination.  A little town, with a smaller sell rate, would have a smaller chance at hitting the big proze.  The same applies to th draw tickets.  More players with QP in a major city will have a better chance at a winner then a small town in a remote area.  Then again, any seller could happen to receive the package with the winner, or a QP could match the dropped ball.

It's all magic, and magic is an illusion.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

Warwick, R.I.
      United States
      Member #23315
      October 10, 2005
      32 Posts
      Posted: December 11, 2005, 10:46 am - IP Logged

Best advice for instant tickets is not to buy them. I have pondered the same questions you have and also thought there could be a strategy for instant tickets. The only thing I can think of is that if you could geographicly label each city within the state and find out were the winners actually came from, then maybe you could take a chance in the cities that had the most top prize winners. But will the lottery tell you were the top prize winners came from? And over the course of lets say, the last 2-5 years. If you can indeed get this information from whatever state your in then thats a good first step. I would then possibly consider spending money in the city with the most top winners. 

your friend,

MEGATRON

PA
        United States
        Member #22983
        October 6, 2005
        2010 Posts
        Posted: December 11, 2005, 11:02 am - IP Logged

Yeah that is about what I assumed already. If tickets are not selling rapidly, more cannot come in. So I guess the only option would be to spend your entire check on roll after roll in one location continuously. Talk about being broke if you do not win!

That is if they are not distributing the big winners only to certain areas. I wonder if it is all random, or they hand choose where the winners go? I have emailed the same questions to the lottery, hopefully they answer honestly.

Bradly_60's avatar - disney37
          Atlantic Mine, Michigan
          United States
          Member #416
          June 23, 2002
          1613 Posts
          Posted: December 11, 2005, 11:10 am - IP Logged

Prizes are evenly distributed with population.  I live in a small town in Michigan and we have large winners once in a while.  But you head downstate to detriot and the suburbs they seem to have winners all the time.

Brad

Raven62's avatar - binary
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #17843
            June 28, 2005
            17936 Posts
            Posted: December 11, 2005, 1:27 pm - IP Logged

Lets say their are 10 prizes greater than $100 and lets say their are 3000 Lottery Agents:

What is the chance that your local Lottery Agent will have a Prize greater than $100 in his store?

PA
              United States
              Member #22983
              October 6, 2005
              2010 Posts
              Posted: December 12, 2005, 9:13 am - IP Logged

"Winning instant tickets are randomly distributed among all packs of a
              particular game, and then packs of those tickets are randomly
              distributed to retailers across Pennsylvania. The Lottery nor its instant ticket
              vendor know where winning tickets are sent or purchased until those
              tickets are presented to Lottery with prize claims.

It is impossible for Lottery to predict where winning numbers games
              tickets will be sold, as the tickets are sold in advance of each drawing,
              and winning numbers are randomly selected."

Their response. Yeah suuuuuuuuuuuure they don't know where the winning tickets are going.