Welcome Guest
The time is now 7:35 pm
You last visited October 25, 2014, 7:30 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Is the Lottery (PB/MM) corrupt?

Topic closed. 28 replies. Last post 9 years ago by jim695.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Portland Oregon
United States
Member #23305
October 10, 2005
47 Posts
Posted: February 4, 2006, 3:18 pm - IP Logged

Hello,

It seems like an inordinate amount of people who are members of Lotterypost believe there is some grand conspiracy, fraud, corruption, or unfair practices going on with "the Lottery".  I am mainly referring to Powerball and Megamillions, but any comments on state lotteries are welcome. 

Who believes the "LOTTERY" is rigged?  If you do, please share your stories for all of us to read.  Also, if you do believe it's rigged, why do you still play and waste your time in websites like this one? 

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
    Pennsylvania
    United States
    Member #1340
    April 6, 2003
    2444 Posts
    Posted: February 4, 2006, 3:25 pm - IP Logged

I'm ok with MM and PB and any ball-drawn game. I have my doubts when it comes to computer-drawn games like PA mid-day 3/4.

ball draw games in PA are televised, there is a witness and an accounting firm

cpu draws are done in private on a computer where even an expert witness would be hard pressed to see the mechanics, then they are fed into the animation program that produces the "watch the midday draw" link on the PA website. The potential for abuse in a state that has a checkered past with respect to lottery (the 1980's 6-6-6 scandal) should keep the draws coming from the machines, not "off the record".. it's no stretch of the imagination to have a database containing sold combos pick a winner that pays out the least and still passes the chi-square randomness test the accounting firm uses to check the validity of the draw...

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

Columbia City, Indiana
      United States
      Member #2978
      December 9, 2003
      381 Posts
      Posted: February 4, 2006, 3:39 pm - IP Logged

WW777: 

I can't recall any thread where the PowerBall or MegaMillions games have been called into question. Both games have substantial security measures in place, and both are drawn mechanically on live television.

If you're referring to the many posts on the hopelessly corrupt Hoosier Lottery, you'll find adequate fodder for your query by utilizing LP's search engine.

For the record, I no longer play any Hoosier Lottery games, and haven't since I discovered the extent of their frauds in 2003.

As for your comment about wasting our time on LotteryPost.com, many of us don't see it that way, but I'm going to do you a favor and suggest you duck, because you're about to be hit by massive amounts of s#!t coming off the fan you just switched on.

Come, Pinky; we must prepare for tomorrow night...

Jim

United States
        Member #31636
        February 1, 2006
        249 Posts
        Posted: February 4, 2006, 3:53 pm - IP Logged

ANYTHING TO WIN will also tell the tales of competitions gone awry, such as the Tonya Harding saga, or outright cheating such as the Pennsylvania Lottery Scandal.

It will be show on the Game Show Network Tuesday night.

Morrison, IL
          United States
          Member #4657
          May 13, 2004
          1867 Posts
          Posted: February 4, 2006, 4:57 pm - IP Logged

Powerball and Mega Millions are not corrupt. They've simply stacked the odds so high that it's only expected there's not very many jackpot winners.

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
            North Jersey
            United States
            Member #5709
            July 18, 2004
            17899 Posts
            Posted: February 4, 2006, 5:29 pm - IP Logged

Hello,

It seems like an inordinate amount of people who are members of Lotterypost believe there is some grand conspiracy, fraud, corruption, or unfair practices going on with "the Lottery".  I am mainly referring to Powerball and Megamillions, but any comments on state lotteries are welcome. 

Who believes the "LOTTERY" is rigged?  If you do, please share your stories for all of us to read.  Also, if you do believe it's rigged, why do you still play and waste your time in websites like this one? 

I don't believe there is any inordinate amount of people whom even think the Mega millions or Powerball are "rigged". They are NOT....period.!

These drawings take place right in front of everyone and they are ball drawn.  What would even make you think they are "rigged".?

And this website gives more to everyone than ANY other website could even think of doing. This website is a gathering of the "minds", while the others are still trying to gather thier mind.... 

Your Best Teacher, is Your First Mistake.

Indiana
              United States
              Member #29196
              December 29, 2005
              280 Posts
              Posted: February 4, 2006, 9:51 pm - IP Logged

Since I've been such a vocal critic of the Hoosier Lottery I'll state for the record that while I absolutely believe the Hoosier Lottery is rigged (and I too have stopped playing all of their games) I absolutely believe that Powerball is on the up and up.  I still play Powerball in Indiana because it is not under the control of the Hoosier Lottery.  I do have some issues with Powerball...mostly their ridiculous odds, their back loaded annuity and the phony way they advertise jackpot values...but I do believe that with regard to the drawings it's an honest game.

I don't play Mega Millions and I haven't done any research on it so I have no real opinion on it. 

Jim 

Money frees you from doing things you dislike.  Since I dislike doing nearly everything, money is handy.  - Groucho Marx

TheGameGrl's avatar - necros
                Pennsylvania
                United States
                Member #17084
                June 10, 2005
                3123 Posts
                Posted: February 4, 2006, 11:38 pm - IP Logged

its absolutely feasible for a ball drawing to be rigged. Someone mentioned the PA scandel and that in itself is proof of it actually happening. If your asking in the current day and age, yes its possible but is it an allegation to be made...doubtful. The debate will remain whether either computer pick or machine balls are any better. They either produce a winning combination or they don't, and that is the bottom line.

I do suspect that some lottery retailers are corrupt or less then ethical in their practices but that is an entirely separate issue then the multi-state lotteries.

Signature quote-If I'd agree with you , we'd both be wrong.

Baton Rouge, LA
                  United States
                  Member #4602
                  May 7, 2004
                  577 Posts
                  Posted: February 5, 2006, 11:46 am - IP Logged

I've heard of ball drawings being sabotaged. I saw a feature on PBS' Frontline many years ago about how a drawing was rigged by injecting fluid into some of the balls to alter the weight of them. It was supposedly done by the on air host.

I don't trust computerized drawings that much because if they are rigged, it's alot harder to find out how than it is with ball drawings. My point is both kinds of drawings can be compromised, but I prefer ball drawings all the same.

PrisonerSix

United States
                    Member #379
                    June 5, 2002
                    11296 Posts
                    Posted: February 6, 2006, 9:35 am - IP Logged

When I think of corruption in state lotteries, I cite MA and NY as the prime examples, with their annuity-only (no cash option) scratch games. MA Megabucks' jackpot also is annuity-only.

United States
                      Member #16612
                      June 2, 2005
                      3493 Posts
                      Posted: February 6, 2006, 1:17 pm - IP Logged

I think PB and MM aren't corrupt. It's just that it's harder to win jackpot. CA SLP isn't corrupt, but they do it in graduated annual payments like PB. If CA has to give up MM, jackpots will fall and get rigged.

Morrison, IL
                        United States
                        Member #4657
                        May 13, 2004
                        1867 Posts
                        Posted: February 6, 2006, 5:58 pm - IP Logged

Mega Millions could still get a record level jackpot without California. I highly doubt it'll revert back to the 5/52+1/52 matrix even if it lost California. Remember Powerball broke its previous (annuity) jackpot record even without the added support of another big state after the MUSL changed its matrix.

United States
                          Member #16612
                          June 2, 2005
                          3493 Posts
                          Posted: February 6, 2006, 6:01 pm - IP Logged

Even if MM loses CA, it's still possible for MM to set a new record level jackpot, but not likely. I think MM should stick to the current matrix CA had put up.

United States
                            Member #31425
                            January 29, 2006
                            18 Posts
                            Posted: February 8, 2006, 1:12 pm - IP Logged

I don trust any lottery games in any part of this world.  I started tracking lottery games in 1978 before computers came available to the average consumer.  When computer did come available, I purchased a computer and began entering lottery data.  In Nov 1997 my home was broken into and my computer and printer, scanner, where stolen.  The theives knew what they were looking for, and did not bother my tvs, stereo equiptment,  camcorder, check books, or other small items that theives can easily take.  I had lived in my home for 16 years and never had a break in and thought I was safe.  The police came, and there was a handprint on the tv in the den but they refused to take the hand print.  I had a jar of pennies in my room that was thrown all over the room and the police took prints off the jar and later said they could not make out a good print.  Two weeks after the break in I contacted the Houston Police Department to speak with the officer handling the case and he had no record of the break in on file.  I didn't bother to back up my information on disk because I never thought my home would be robed.  Shortly after my home was robed my three dogs in my backyard were stolen, then someone jammed the locks on my front door, then my Truck was hit while parked on school property 5,000.00 worth of damage.  Gtech does not like anyone to closely monitor their behavior.  Three months after they stole my computer I read on the internet that Gtech had fired its top 3 level people because there was a glitch in the computer software that they had not brought to the attention of the board.  All three walked away with billions of dollars.  My neighbor across the street saw 4 men drive into my driveway and two got out.  She told them I was not home and they should leave.  They did and returned 10 minutes later and broke in.  She called the police but by the time they had arrived it was to late.  People who track the money and numbers are considered by Gtech as mavericks which they have a way of handling.  I got handled.  People want to believe (this word contains I live Lie) that the lottery system is honest.  I don't believe, and no its not.  Control of billions of dollars is not by chance as everyone has been lead to believe.  Machines were made to control the outcome.  Jesus said let the dead bury the dead.  I don't play the Texas lottery as it is corrupt.  Take all drawings off the machines and balls, computer ect.  Require everyone to pick their own numbers and not quick picks.  Hand draw the balls in front of a live audience of playing and paying public and then you will have a honest and fair game.  Instead of 1 big winner have 100 or 200 drawing for each big pot and do away with 3,4,5 tiers.  Machines are made to control the input and output.

csfb's avatar - Lottery-001.jpg

United States
                              Member #15309
                              May 13, 2005
                              307 Posts
                              Posted: February 8, 2006, 1:23 pm - IP Logged

Is the  Powerball or Megamillions corrupt?  I do not think so.  But can anyone cheat after the numbers are drawn? 

For example, if the drawing is at 7:59 p.m., can someone who has access to a terminal machine be able to get a ticket with the winning combination a split second after the numbers are known?  Or are those terminal machines perfectly synchronized and locked at exactly the same time before the draw so no one can get any tickets after the machines are locked?  Is it possible for a computer hacker to manipulate that machine so he can get the winning ticket from that machine after the draw, say, at 8 p.m., without anybody knowing?

Or am I asking a foolish question?  Anyway, I've been wondering about this for sometime.