Welcome Guest
The time is now 11:28 am
You last visited November 21, 2014, 11:09 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

CA Lottery Survey

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Tiburon140.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
flipcalitwist's avatar - flower2
Los Angeles
United States
Member #39079
May 9, 2006
2 Posts
Posted: May 9, 2006, 9:59 pm - IP Logged

hi! i need some help for a paper that i am writing for my college english class. i was wondering if any resident of california who plays the lottery to PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE fill out my short survey!!! Approve thanks in advance

1) If you had a spare dollar or two would you buy a lottery ticket knowing that you were tight on money?

___ Yes

___ No

___ Maybe

___ I don’t know

2) Do you participate in the California Lottery every week?

___ Yes

___ No

___ Maybe

___ I don’t know

3) Is there a specific method you have when choosing your numbers?

___ Yes

___ No

___ Maybe

___ I don’t know

4) Would you spend more than $10 on lottery tickets at one time?

___ Yes

___ No

___ Maybe

___ I don’t know

5) Do you believe that participating in the lottery is a form of gambling?

___ Yes

___ No

___ Maybe

___ I don’t know

6) Does advertising play a part in persuading you to play the California Lottery?

___ Yes

___ No

___ Maybe

___ I don’t know

7) Would you give up your career if you won the jackpot?

___ Yes

___ No

___ Maybe

___ I don’t know

8) Is playing the lottery addicting?

___ Yes

___ No

___ Maybe

___ I don’t know

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
    Member #2338
    September 17, 2003
    2063 Posts
    Posted: May 10, 2006, 12:51 am - IP Logged

Maybe you should write about the problems with surveys.

1. "tight" in what sense, debt to income? Having spare dollars would mean surplus income. If I made $250k in 2004 and only $210k in 2005 I could say times were lean. Someone else making $50k but with low rent, no debt and no kids could say things are good.

2. Considering the availability of internet options someone living in California may get tickets in other states/countries and not in the CA lottery.

3. This would be a bias place to ask that and it would depend on the game. Most pick3/4 players pick their own numbers, most jackpot players get quickpicks. Most players here pick their own for both style of games.

4. Depends what the jackpot level is. There are a lot of variables on this one including "Do you feel lucky?" Sales alone show what happens as the jackpot level rises.

5. Why wouldn't it be. Not much debate on this one. It's kind of like asking "Is smoking adictive?" rather than asking a bunch of teens "Is oral sex, sex?"

6. Advertising only helps boost sales for the occational player or if there is a large jackpot. People on this board already know jackpot levels from around the world and what cash payouts are for various lotteries so this would also be a bias sample.

7. You might as well as "Do you like your job?" It would also depend on how much you win. A $4 million jackpot isn't going to let you retire but you could get a job paying less but that you enjoy more. I personally feel I'm too young to retire but hate my job. So for me the jackpot level would be really low. If I had a job I truely enjoyed than winning may not make me leave it.

8.Compared to what? Driving, smoking, heroin? Gambling can be addictive but so can other things. Financial irresposibility is the first thing that happens to a gambling addict and the inability to quit. If you are asking "is it addicting?" this is very different from "are you an addict?" 

JKING's avatar - Kaleidoscope 3.gif

United States
      Member #5599
      July 13, 2004
      1163 Posts
      Posted: May 10, 2006, 8:34 am - IP Logged

1-no

2-yes

3-yes

4-no

5-yes

6-no

7-yes

8-no

You are a slave to the choices you have made.  jk

Even a blind squirrel will occasioanlly find an acorn.

for99c's avatar - Lottery-058.jpg
        Texas
        United States
        Member #27861
        December 6, 2005
        29 Posts
        Posted: May 10, 2006, 9:13 am - IP Logged

english class ???

csfb's avatar - Lottery-001.jpg

United States
          Member #15309
          May 13, 2005
          307 Posts
          Posted: May 10, 2006, 12:09 pm - IP Logged

4 and 5 - yes

1 2 3 6 7  - no

8 - maybe

Good luck.  Hope you get an "A".  Been there, done that.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
            Wandering Aimlessly
            United States
            Member #25360
            November 5, 2005
            4458 Posts
            Posted: May 11, 2006, 1:27 am - IP Logged

(1) Definitely. I've been in that situation. Maybe I do that now, but who can say what "tight" really is? I have more money than some people I know who live paycheck to paycheck. I certainly wouldn't borrow money to play the lottery, but I would rather skip something else than miss playing my regular numbers. Anyway, if you are really tight, then there is no such thing as a "spare" dollar. Poor is relative. I wouldn't miss a meal to play the lottery, but I might skip buying a pizza and make spaghetti instead! LOL

(2) No. l live in FL. Yes, I play at least twice a week.

(3) Sometimes, if I play more than my regular numbers which I selected years ago.

(4) Not now, but I have spent as much as $20 at once. But it wasn't a hardship for me. I know why you ask this, but people who stop at Happy Hour often spend $20 and drive home drunk. The lottery is a lot safer.

(5) Absolutely, but not a big problem unless you already have one in the first place. Hey, it's a gamble to get into your car everyday or walk across the street. Life is a gamble.

(6) Never. I don't even pay attention to advertising.

(7) Yes, I would not work a 40 hour job for someone else. If I had a career I liked, no. In fact, winning the lottery might help me pursue a career I'd want like building a no-kill shelter.

(8) It can be, but so is watching television. I can't even stand up in the shower without first having a cup of coffee. We all have our bad habits and I think the lottery is probably the least harmful of smoking, drinking, swearing, driving fast or anything else you enjoy doing for fun. What hobby doesn't cost a little money or make you want to do it again? I think the internet is addictive.  It's 1 in the morning and I'm dying for a Dove bar (which at 7-11 costs more than a couple of lottery tickets.)

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
              Charlotte NC
              United States
              Member #17406
              June 18, 2005
              4036 Posts
              Posted: May 11, 2006, 1:40 am - IP Logged

english class ???

Yes NodThis sounds like someone was suppose to do homework and research and is using us as Cliff Notes.  We actually had parents to come in the library at the museum to research their child's work.  Some of them even called to have someone to pull the work.  The PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE gives this person away.  Trust me. 

I've worked with a lot of students and interns and I know a good student when I see one.  They probably were suppose to write some type of paper but do real research with real people from different backgrounds and  groups and maybe could even choose the topic.   

Don't let this person off the hook.  This is an idea place to get the whole shebang.  It's probably due real soon and I hope it's not the exit project for seniors in high school.

Don't be this person's Cliff Notes.

takeemtothebank

flipcalitwist's avatar - flower2
                Los Angeles
                United States
                Member #39079
                May 9, 2006
                2 Posts
                Posted: May 11, 2006, 2:24 am - IP Logged

english class ???

Yes NodThis sounds like someone was suppose to do homework and research and is using us as Cliff Notes.  We actually had parents to come in the library at the museum to research their child's work.  Some of them even called to have someone to pull the work.  The PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE gives this person away.  Trust me. 

I've worked with a lot of students and interns and I know a good student when I see one.  They probably were suppose to write some type of paper but do real research with real people from different backgrounds and  groups and maybe could even choose the topic.   

Don't let this person off the hook.  This is an idea place to get the whole shebang.  It's probably due real soon and I hope it's not the exit project for seniors in high school.

Don't be this person's Cliff Notes.

ok first of all, i only posted my survey here b/c the professor asked us specifically to look at forums and chatrooms to see what people are talking about. also she suggested that we post our surveys out there so that we can get as many responses as possible.

and no, this is not due REAL SOON! i have a few weeks but i just wanted to make sure things get done in a timely manner.

posting on this site is not my version of "Cliff Notes". i don't believe in those types of short cuts. i was told BY MY PROFESSOR to do this! so PLEASE don't judge

United States
                  Member #38807
                  May 5, 2006
                  34 Posts
                  Posted: May 11, 2006, 6:10 pm - IP Logged

Dang I'm guilty.. I got an A- on my report on the Scarlet Letter book back in 1996. I had enough of it and i used a Cliff note book....

I feel bad.... actually I don't.. that book was crap!!