Welcome Guest
The time is now 2:51 am
You last visited October 1, 2014, 2:46 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Scratchers - counter or vending machine?

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 8 years ago by SirMetro.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Are you 'luckier with scratchers from;

The counter? [ 12 ]  [33.33%]
the vending machine? [ 4 ]  [11.11%]
doesn't matter [ 11 ]  [30.56%]
depends on the store [ 3 ]  [8.33%]
depends on which ticket [ 6 ]  [16.67%]
Total Valid Votes [ 36 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 6 ]  
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
9079 Posts
Posted: June 8, 2006, 9:29 pm - IP Logged

Are you particularly luckier with scratchers from one place or another?

Tnplayer805's avatar - G 14_v78828750_Small.JPG
    North Dakota
    United States
    Member #13397
    April 5, 2005
    1623 Posts
    Posted: June 8, 2006, 11:04 pm - IP Logged

I've never seen Vending Machines for Scratch-offs.  I know they are out there but never seen them.  I have to say Counter.

How are you going to win if you don't play?

United States
      Member #1826
      July 11, 2003
      2645 Posts
      Posted: June 8, 2006, 11:06 pm - IP Logged

I have immensely better luck with getting them from the counter.

(insert signature here)

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
        Member #12618
        March 18, 2005
        2060 Posts
        Posted: June 8, 2006, 11:11 pm - IP Logged

The few times I've played, I got them from a vending machine and I seemed to have better luck.

Dance like no one is watching.

loves2lotto's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
          Charlotte, North Carolina
          United States
          Member #36131
          March 28, 2006
          50 Posts
          Posted: June 8, 2006, 11:24 pm - IP Logged

I voted  doesn't matter cuz, I never win on scratch offs.

I see a huge powerball win in my future!

Hyper

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
            Member #12618
            March 18, 2005
            2060 Posts
            Posted: June 26, 2006, 11:14 pm - IP Logged

I voted  doesn't matter cuz, I never win on scratch offs.

I don't win very often on scratch-offs. When I do, it is usually no more then 5 bucks. But I also don't play much so that could be another reason I don't win.

Dance like no one is watching.

love2005's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg

United States
              Member #9727
              December 18, 2004
              964 Posts
              Posted: July 5, 2006, 3:08 am - IP Logged

this is love2005 i play it all the time the scratches and iwin some or loseem sometimes.but the same time i have fun doing it. gl to eo on lp family.enjoy your day and have luck with day by day, also fun of life.

lottolaughs's avatar - avatar 3824.gif
                California
                United States
                Member #40295
                May 31, 2006
                6400 Posts
                Posted: July 5, 2006, 8:29 pm - IP Logged

I voted doesn't matter. I've won equally from the counter or the machine. What little there was I "won". I think scratchoffs should disappear. Sometimes they don't even pay you out if you win a larger prize. I know a lady who won but she kept her ticket for a long time and when she went to cash it out they couldn't pay her because the prize had already been cashed in by someone else first. I'm assuming they only set aside a certain amount for the bigger winners and it's first come, first served. If you read the back of scratchoffs it will tell you something to that effect. I don't have one on me but maybe someone else does and can post it.

Coastal Georgia
                  United States
                  Member #2653
                  October 30, 2003
                  1866 Posts
                  Posted: July 10, 2006, 12:20 pm - IP Logged

Georgia has a sleek new vending machine. I tried it out recently and didn't win anything, but I'm sure that the odds are still the same whether we use a vending machine or not.

The only difference is when we use the clerk's knowledge of what has and hasn't hit recently.

DD

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
                    Yinzer Country, PA
                    United States
                    Member #4067
                    March 18, 2004
                    2733 Posts
                    Posted: July 13, 2006, 2:05 pm - IP Logged

I voted doesn't matter. I've won equally from the counter or the machine. What little there was I "won". I think scratchoffs should disappear. Sometimes they don't even pay you out if you win a larger prize. I know a lady who won but she kept her ticket for a long time and when she went to cash it out they couldn't pay her because the prize had already been cashed in by someone else first. I'm assuming they only set aside a certain amount for the bigger winners and it's first come, first served. If you read the back of scratchoffs it will tell you something to that effect. I don't have one on me but maybe someone else does and can post it.

Something tells me that your friend may have been sold an already-scratched ticket.  Either that or she tried to claim it after the expiration date on the game.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

Pogo's avatar - wfl
                      NC
                      United States
                      Member #29378
                      January 1, 2006
                      533 Posts
                      Posted: July 14, 2006, 10:33 pm - IP Logged

I prefer the machines because I can jump around from game to game. The line at most customer sevice desks here in VA you'll sit there 5 or more minutes waiting for someone to cash you out and/or to buy a ticket... ...guess I'm just not patient enuff. I used to put all my money on one game and just reinvesting it on the same game, but now I find I win more often by jumping from game to game.

FL
                        United States
                        Member #11275
                        February 9, 2005
                        15 Posts
                        Posted: August 15, 2006, 2:58 pm - IP Logged

I remember a story about that.  It wasn't that the "prizes" were all gone, it was that she tried to redeem the ticket a year after it had already expired.  Why would anyone sit on a ticket that long and not redeem it?  The Lotteries do the same thing for the Lotto prizes too, you see stories all the time about winning tickets that have not been turned in for the past year and the prize is about to expire.  From what I have read, they end up putting that money back into the prizes for us to win again.

FL
                          United States
                          Member #11275
                          February 9, 2005
                          15 Posts
                          Posted: August 15, 2006, 3:05 pm - IP Logged

The back of a ticket I just bought says "Prizes must be claimed within 60 days after end of game."  The lottery even tells us when those games are going to end on their website:

GAMES ENDING 

April-June 2006
                          LAST DAY TO SELL
                          LAST DAY TO REDEEM
                            Baton Rouge, LA
                            United States
                            Member #4602
                            May 7, 2004
                            571 Posts
                            Posted: August 28, 2006, 8:58 pm - IP Logged

I've never seen Vending Machines for Scratch-offs.  I know they are out there but never seen them.  I have to say Counter.

I have seen vending machines for scratch off tickets in Syracuse, New York and I found it kind of strange.  The only way to get scratch-offs or any other kind of lottery ticket here in Louisiana is at the counter.  It may not be legal in some states to sell them in vending machines, to keep away the underage gamblers.

In New York, lottery scratch-off vending machines are legal but cigarette machines aren't while here in Louisiana, scratch-off vending machines aren't legal but cigarette machines are.  Which addiction is worse, and which does the state make more money from?

Something to think about.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

for4four's avatar - animal shark.jpg
                              Philadelphia, PA
                              United States
                              Member #23097
                              October 7, 2005
                              7 Posts
                              Posted: September 8, 2006, 8:23 pm - IP Logged

I have to say it depends on the place....but the #1 rule is... don't scratch 'em there. 

Some vendors watch a guy/gal buy five of a ticket, scratch losers on-site and trash 'em.  The seller will then buy one for themself hoping its a winner.  Retailers know how many winners are in a pack. 

That's life... but the machine gives a measure on anonymity and randomness.  However, some counter vendors have a better selection.

Supermarkets have scratch-off machines near the candy machines.  Several times I've seen parents buy tickets for young children, as if it's equivalent to a gumball, and encourage their kids to select the one they want.  That is someone's parenting decision, but it doesn't sit right with me.