Welcome Guest
You last visited December 21, 2014, 6:10 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What's the cash value on NY Lotto?

Topic closed. 14 replies. Last post 8 years ago by Just6ntlc.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
New Jersey
United States
Member #21206
September 4, 2005
917 Posts
Posted: June 19, 2006, 4:24 pm - IP Logged

Anybody know?

New York is one of those states that conceals the issue.

With the slim pickings in the big lotteries, I was thinking of strolling over to the state of my birth to pick up a few tickets.  Is it worth it?

Yes?

No? 

United States
    Member #379
    June 5, 2002
    11296 Posts
    Posted: June 19, 2006, 5:45 pm - IP Logged

Anybody know?

New York is one of those states that conceals the issue.

With the slim pickings in the big lotteries, I was thinking of strolling over to the state of my birth to pick up a few tickets.  Is it worth it?

Yes?

No? 

NY Lotto is the BIGGEST ripoff among all US lottery games. Only 38%-40% of wagers is used to pay prizes.

New Jersey
      United States
      Member #21206
      September 4, 2005
      917 Posts
      Posted: June 19, 2006, 6:30 pm - IP Logged

Well that would be a concern if millions of people had not already played and run the jackpot up.  It's a different matter with however many rollovers have occurred to make the annuity jackpot what it is.

I am trying to grasp the expectation value of this jackpot in particular and would like to know what percentage of the jackpot is represented by cash.  This will make me better able to judge the situation now. 

For this reason it would be useful to know what the cash value of the prize is.  I'm not sure anyone knows that answer, but if they do, I would appreciate it.

United States
        Member #379
        June 5, 2002
        11296 Posts
        Posted: June 19, 2006, 6:33 pm - IP Logged

Well that would be a concern if millions of people had not already played and run the jackpot up.  It's a different matter with however many rollovers have occurred to make the annuity jackpot what it is.

I am trying to grasp the expectation value of this jackpot in particular and would like to know what percentage of the jackpot is represented by cash.  This will make me better able to judge the situation now. 

For this reason it would be useful to know what the cash value of the prize is.  I'm not sure anyone knows that answer, but if they do, I would appreciate it.

NY doesn't tell unless somebody hits and they chose cash. And if it did, I wouldn't tell you because it's a big RIPOFF.

New Jersey
          United States
          Member #21206
          September 4, 2005
          917 Posts
          Posted: June 19, 2006, 8:51 pm - IP Logged

NY doesn't tell unless somebody hits and they chose cash. And if it did, I wouldn't tell you because it's a big RIPOFF.

Well thanks for your helpful answer.

I still don't know the cash value of the NY Lotto, but I know if I'm ever in the market for another mother, whose resume I should review.

Meanwhile I remain curious about the cash value.  If anyone else knows the answer, I would appreciate a response. 

United States
            Member #1826
            July 11, 2003
            2645 Posts
            Posted: June 19, 2006, 9:56 pm - IP Logged

Well thanks for your helpful answer.

I still don't know the cash value of the NY Lotto, but I know if I'm ever in the market for another mother, whose resume I should review.

Meanwhile I remain curious about the cash value.  If anyone else knows the answer, I would appreciate a response. 

Well, it's 26-year graduated annuity so it should be exactly half or so of the advertised jackpot.

(insert signature here)

United States
              Member #16612
              June 2, 2005
              3493 Posts
              Posted: June 20, 2006, 11:20 am - IP Logged

I think the cash value on NY Lotto to $41 million [annunity] is about $19 million.

New Jersey
                United States
                Member #21206
                September 4, 2005
                917 Posts
                Posted: June 20, 2006, 4:16 pm - IP Logged

I think the cash value on NY Lotto to $41 million [annunity] is about $19 million.

Thanks.  That's where I estimated it.  I didn't do a detailed calculation, but, estimated there, it has the best expectation value for large lotteries in this area at this level.

I went over to NY and picked a few tickets up. 

United States
                  Member #16612
                  June 2, 2005
                  3493 Posts
                  Posted: June 23, 2006, 1:43 am - IP Logged

Prob988, since NY Lotto only has about 38-40% payout, the cash value is about 19.5 million for this draw when jackpot is $43 million. Good luck to you in NY Lotto for Saturday.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                    Member #2338
                    September 17, 2003
                    2063 Posts
                    Posted: June 24, 2006, 1:52 am - IP Logged

The payout refers to the amount per dollar spent on a ticket returned to the player as a prize.

Currently most state run games on 26 year notes are paying around 47-49% cash. On graduated notes I'm guessing 45-47%. 

New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #21206
                      September 4, 2005
                      917 Posts
                      Posted: June 24, 2006, 8:44 am - IP Logged

The payout refers to the amount per dollar spent on a ticket returned to the player as a prize.

Currently most state run games on 26 year notes are paying around 47-49% cash. On graduated notes I'm guessing 45-47%. 

That sounds reasonable.  Thanks.

That would put the cash value at around $19M-20M.

I have a few tickets in this lottery tonight. 

JAP69's avatar - Lottery-053.jpg
                        South Carolina
                        United States
                        Member #6
                        November 4, 2001
                        8516 Posts
                        Posted: June 24, 2006, 9:17 am - IP Logged

The cash value of around 19 mil is still worth a few dollars in wagers.
                        With 19 mil who cares about a few percentages in cash value.

Stats hunting: Type

United States
                          Member #24696
                          October 26, 2005
                          11 Posts
                          Posted: June 25, 2006, 5:17 pm - IP Logged

Don't the states that run on 26 yrs  buy the same bonds that Mega Millions would buy? If so, the Cash on the current jackpot of $23M is appx. $12.9 million, or 56% of the top prize, so would that in turn make 56% of $45M the cash value?

New Jersey
                            United States
                            Member #21206
                            September 4, 2005
                            917 Posts
                            Posted: June 26, 2006, 7:01 pm - IP Logged

Don't the states that run on 26 yrs  buy the same bonds that Mega Millions would buy? If so, the Cash on the current jackpot of $23M is appx. $12.9 million, or 56% of the top prize, so would that in turn make 56% of $45M the cash value?

No.  NY uses a graduated annuity, where payments increase with time.  The MM annuity - not that I'd dream of using it - pays out the same amount each year.

Mostly the annuity idea is advertising.  Only the cash value matters.   

It happens that the MM and PB prizes are roughly the same size, but the advertised values would seem to claim otherwise. 

United States
                              Member #16612
                              June 2, 2005
                              3493 Posts
                              Posted: June 27, 2006, 5:10 pm - IP Logged

With a 45 million dollar jackpot in NY Lotto, I think cash value is about 20 million. I hope NY Lotto somehow wins jackpot and takes cash value when MM gets near 45 million.