Welcome Guest
The time is now 12:21 pm
You last visited September 23, 2014, 12:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

convicted felons and lottery winnings

Topic closed. 53 replies. Last post 8 years ago by TheGameGrl.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

should a convicted felon be allowed to cash in lottery winning?

yes [ 49 ]  [64.47%]
no [ 22 ]  [28.95%]
not sure [ 5 ]  [6.58%]
Total Valid Votes [ 76 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 9 ]  
LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
Tennessee
United States
Member #7853
October 15, 2004
11334 Posts
Posted: July 1, 2006, 2:35 am - IP Logged

should a convicted felon be allowed to claim lottery winnings?

Tennessee
    United States
    Member #7853
    October 15, 2004
    11334 Posts
    Posted: July 1, 2006, 3:18 am - IP Logged

just imagine if ted bundy would've been allowed to play mega millions.just think of what he could do with his new toys,lol.........

paurths's avatar - underground
      Switching between Fairfax, VA and Belgium
      Belgium
      Member #19287
      July 29, 2005
      2254 Posts
      Posted: July 1, 2006, 5:30 am - IP Logged

Hi Mike,

i find this a pretty strange question.
      I've read about it several times, here at LP and on other forums, and never quite gave it some thought.
      Always figured "why not?"

But now you mention Ted Bundy, i immediatly think of Dutroux, who abducted, raped and killed children.
      For me such persons should not be allowed very much anymore, put them away and throw away the key. So i guess they would not be able to collect any winnings, let alone play the lottery.

But then there other convicted fellons (still in jail or not?)
      During the night here, the serie "cops" is sometimes on, and when i see why some people have to go to jail (even as little as asking a prostitute, which is than an undercover cop, to... you know... is enough to be handcuffed and treated as the next murderer  Eek --> then you can hear some cops even say "good job today, we caught some bad guys", well, that kinda makes me wanna throw up)
      I don't see why people who are convicted for such stupidities (even smoking weed or such) should be excluded from collecting lottery wins.

So i voted "yes", because "not sure" is not exactly how i feel. I am pretty sure for myself that monsters such as Bundy should not be allowed to collect, but i'm also convinced for myself that stupid "crimes" should not fall under that category.

Greetz
      Ricky

Tennessee
        United States
        Member #7853
        October 15, 2004
        11334 Posts
        Posted: July 1, 2006, 5:37 am - IP Logged

i thought it would be a good poll.i agree with you.i don't think that someone should have to give up the right to buy a lottery ticket just because they had a quarter of weed on them or was drinking a beer and driving at 4am when the road was deserted.even if they passed bad checks or stole a television after they get out of jail they should have the right.a lot of times i just do these polls to see how most people think.its interesting sometimes to see the outcome.......

Australia
          Member #17096
          June 11, 2005
          225 Posts
          Posted: July 1, 2006, 6:39 am - IP Logged

The money should be used to compensate the victims of their crimes. Any remaining revenue should be confiscated to pay for their prison costs.

There was a case in the UK, were a convicted rapist won 7 million pounds, he bought the lottery ticket while out on day release. His victims sues but got nowhere. I think the law was changed after that.

Australia
            Member #17096
            June 11, 2005
            225 Posts
            Posted: July 1, 2006, 6:42 am - IP Logged
            Ministers 'cannot block' £7m win

The Home Office has played down a suggestion that the government could stop a convicted rapist receiving his £7m lottery win.

Iorworth Hoare, nearing the end of a life term for attempted rape, bought his winning ticket on day release.

Culture Secretary Tessa Jowell had seemed to suggest the government might intervene in Hoare's case to make sure his money went to victims.

But the Home Office has now insisted that cannot be done.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/3557372.stm

Australia
              Member #17096
              June 11, 2005
              225 Posts
              Posted: July 1, 2006, 6:45 am - IP Logged
              A man who won £9.7m on the National Lottery has been jailed for five months for breaching a court order.

Magistrates in Swaffham, Norfolk, told Michael Carroll, 21, he had failed to comply with a drugs treatment and testing order.

Carroll was told to complete the order in March after he admitted possessing cocaine worth £1,500. He admitted breaching the order last month.

The treatment order consisted of twice-weekly drugs tests.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/norfolk/3870535.stm

New Mexico
                United States
                Member #12305
                March 10, 2005
                2984 Posts
                Posted: July 1, 2006, 8:01 am - IP Logged

The money should be used to compensate the victims of their crimes. Any remaining revenue should be confiscated to pay for their prison costs.

There was a case in the UK, were a convicted rapist won 7 million pounds, he bought the lottery ticket while out on day release. His victims sues but got nowhere. I think the law was changed after that.

Most of the convicted felons in the US committed crimes without victims.  They'd have to find another use for the money.

If convicted felons couldn't win the lottery those prize values wouldn't grow nearly so fast because there'd be a lot fewer players in most states.

Probably it's a good idea anyway.  Puts more money into the general coffers to help pay for more prisons.

J

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

GeorgiaPlayer's avatar - disney21
                  Albany,Georgia
                  United States
                  Member #21201
                  September 4, 2005
                  375 Posts
                  Posted: July 1, 2006, 9:32 am - IP Logged

play on those politics are crazy

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                    Member #2338
                    September 17, 2003
                    2063 Posts
                    Posted: July 1, 2006, 10:09 am - IP Logged

If you buy lottery tickets online than you would stand a chance of being a convicted felon in the corrupt state of WA. I think I'd just skip out of the US if I hit it big. It really depends on what the state or country considers a felon to be.

Atlanta, GA
                      United States
                      Member #1265
                      March 13, 2003
                      3326 Posts
                      Posted: July 1, 2006, 10:21 am - IP Logged

Yes, absolutely they should be allowed to collect. 

They should receive a net amount after all state cost to incarcerate plus all other fines, restitution charges related to crimes they've committed.

If there's anything left over then let them have at it.

Good luck to everyone!

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
                        Member #12618
                        March 18, 2005
                        2060 Posts
                        Posted: July 1, 2006, 1:19 pm - IP Logged

People may disagree with me but I beleive if you have served your time and you are free you should be able to collect lottery winnings. Why not? If they are still allowed to put a dollar in then they should be able to collect if they win. If people don't want convicted felons to play make it a law that they can't legally purchase tickets and collect winnings.

Dance like no one is watching.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                          Zeta Reticuli Star System
                          United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          9063 Posts
                          Posted: July 1, 2006, 7:18 pm - IP Logged

Any lottery that would accept someone's money for a ticket and then refuse to pay them would probably be sued and then shut down. And rightfully so.

Remeber the poll about illegal immigrants hitting a jackpot? 

If they accept they bet they are legally implying they will make good op the payoff.

Of course, there probably have been cases like this where the real winner "sent in a beard".

Jorli D's avatar - nw saucyelf2.jpg
                            Michigan
                            United States
                            Member #2448
                            October 4, 2003
                            21638 Posts
                            Posted: July 1, 2006, 7:51 pm - IP Logged

People may disagree with me but I beleive if you have served your time and you are free you should be able to collect lottery winnings. Why not? If they are still allowed to put a dollar in then they should be able to collect if they win. If people don't want convicted felons to play make it a law that they can't legally purchase tickets and collect winnings.

I agree with you Bellyache. Despite your crime, if you win you should collect.

Clearwater, FL
                              United States
                              Member #31472
                              January 29, 2006
                              167 Posts
                              Posted: July 1, 2006, 7:54 pm - IP Logged

Yes, absolutely they should be allowed to collect. 

They should receive a net amount after all state cost to incarcerate plus all other fines, restitution charges related to crimes they've committed.

If there's anything left over then let them have at it.

I Agree!

It seems to me that there was such a case some years ago and that person did receive his lotto winnings but was not allowed access to the money until his release.