Welcome Guest
The time is now 2:18 pm
You last visited October 1, 2014, 2:15 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Pick 3 Matrix Completion Cycle

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 8 years ago by Thoth.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Thoth's avatar - binary
Findlay, Ohio
United States
Member #4855
May 28, 2004
399 Posts
Posted: December 9, 2006, 2:35 am - IP Logged

Have you ever put together a historical listing of all the combos drawn in your states Pick 3 game and wondered why there are so many combinations that have never hit?  Have you ever noticed how some combos hit with a much higher frequency than others?  Have you ever wondered just how long it will take for all of the 1,000 pick 3 straights to be drawn in your states game?  The answers to these questions can be found within the laws of probability.

Believe it or not, the laws of probability actually dictate the long term performance of the game.   The projected long term outcome for EVERY Pick 3 game IS highly predictable.  In essence, every Pick 3 game in the country is identical with respects to how the randomness within each game operates.  There is a very real and distinct timeline that all Pick 3 games follow.  I like to call this timeline the Matrix Completion Cycle.  Many trackers and game analyzers prefer to gather statistical data and derive approximated probabilities or expected results from them.  I like to do just the opposite...first I calculate the probability, then I watch the stats verify them like magic.

So, how long will it take for every Pick 3 number to be drawn in your state?  Heres a formula that dictates the answer: log(1-MP)/log(1-p).  This is saliu's formula with the "DC" replaced with "MP".  The formula doesnt really change any but the logic in it does slightly.  The MP is used to denote the "Matix Percentage"...which is any percentage of the matrix entered as a decimal.  So 50% is .5 and 75% is .75 etc.  Now, since the game is random and nothing can truly be predicted with absolute certainty, do not enter 100% (1.00)!  You can, however, enter 99.99% (.9999)...or as many nines as you like.  The "P" in the formula is the decimal probability for each straight combo in the matrix.  In Pick 3, each straight combo represents 1 in 1,000, so the P is 1/1000, which equals 1÷1000 = .001.

Simply put, this formula will tell you how many consecutive games must take place before you can expect to see a specific percentage of the matrix drawn!  As an example, if you wanted to know how many games it takes to get to the point where 750 of the 1000 possible straights are drawn, you would run the formula as: log(1-.75)/log(1-.001).  The formula then spits out the number 1385.601.  Which means 1385.601 consecutive games or 1386 when rounded.  The number of trials this formula spits out  for any percentage entered into it is extremely accurate!  Take a look at the first 1386 games in your state and count how many DIFFERENT Pick 3 straight were drawn.  It will be very, very close to 750!

I labeled this post as the Matrix Completion Cycle.  The word "completion" can be paralelled to the term "100%", which I just said to never use in the formula, so I should probably clarify what i mean here little better.  The matrix is completed when all 1,000 combos are drawn.  To project all 1,000 combos would imply 100% of the matrix.  Since we can't honestly use 100%, the next best thing will have to do, which in this case is the 99.9% mark.  Of the 1,000 combos in the matrix, 99.9% equates to 999 combos.  The number of games given by the formula is accurate, but is better to treat the figures as close approximations.  Most state will not measure up perfectly...meaning that the actual amount of different numbers drawn will normally be slightly over or slightly under the calculated expected result, but I assure you, they will be very close!  Since there is a minor fluctuation in the actual results, many times the one last combo (or last few combos) will hit before or soon after the 99.9% mark...which is 6,905 consecutive games.  It's usually those last one or two combos that many see as the great anomalous stinkers that seemingly defy the odds.

The first of the three graphs below illustrates the expected percent of matrix to be drawn within a givin number of games.  Notice how the line crosses the 50% mark at 693 games.  It only take 693 games to have very close to 500 of the 1,000 pick 3 combinations drawn.  The odd part is, you usually wont see the the last of the other 500 non-hitters until sometime between games 6,237 and 7,623, which is the 99.81% to 99.95% range!  This is the range where most states Pick 3 matrices are completed!

Expected Matrix Completion Cycle

Rather than using percents, the next chart shows the actual amount of combos drawn within the listed consecutive number of games.  I used the entire histories of Indiana, West Virginia and Georgia.  Notice how closely each state follows the expected result!.  Note: the ending points on the graph indicate that all three states completed their cycles on game 6237.  This is not really the case, all three states had the their last combo drawn between games 5544 and 6237, but this would have requred alot more work to illustrate on the graph.  Other than that, the data points are all valid and accurate. 

The last graph shows the amounts as percentages.  Here again, it's amazing how closely the six listed states follow the calculated and expected result!  Each of the states follows so closely that it becomes difficult to discern one line from another.  If we added the three states from the graph above, they would follow along just as well.

For each of the nine states, here are the actual drawing# that their cycle or matrix was completed in as well as the combo the hit:

STATEGAMECOMBO
OH8118157
PA7623214
NJ6092453
MD6371720
IL5883698
MI8044486
WV6132516
GA5712848
IN5973063

There is much more to discuss regarding this data, I'll post more before the weekends through.

~Probability=Odds in Motion~

JADELottery's avatar - EyePhnoeyReality6
    The Quantum Master
    West Concord, MN
    United States
    Member #21
    December 7, 2001
    2823 Posts
    Posted: December 9, 2006, 10:02 am - IP Logged

Great read, Impessive work!

Presented 'AS IS' and for Entertainment Purposes Only.
    Any gain or loss is your responsibility.
    Use at your own risk.

Order is a Subset of Chaos.
    Knowledge is Beyond Belief.
    Wisdom is Not Censored.

The Name Anagram
    name - Douglas Paul Smallish
    amen - US God plus Islam Allah
    mean - Jehocifer

JADE Quintrains
    JADE at planet.infowars.com

teacake58's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
      AL
      United States
      Member #29698
      January 5, 2006
      1134 Posts
      Posted: December 9, 2006, 10:26 am - IP Logged

thanks looking forward to seeing it

johnph77's avatar - avatar
        CA
        United States
        Member #2987
        December 10, 2003
        832 Posts
        Posted: December 9, 2006, 11:52 am - IP Logged

It's interesting to note that all progressions were completed in these states between 4096 and 8192 draws.

Computers, as almost anyone knows, only work with two numbers - 0 and 1. Either a switch is off (0) or on (1). So, if any type of repeating cycle is to be found, it will occur on the cusp of a direct multiple of 2. With regard to the number of drawings mentioned here, the next possible multiple of 2 is 8,192 - 213. Check Drawing #1 and Drawing #8193. If the drawn numbers are the same the RNG used for the draw may be repeating itself. Proof would be to check Drawing #2 and Drawing #8194. If they are the same as well it is possible that the repeating cycle of the RNG has been found.

Blessed Saint Leibowitz, keep 'em dreamin' down there..... 

Next week's convention for Psychics and Prognosticators has been cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances.

=^.^=

Thoth's avatar - binary
          Findlay, Ohio
          United States
          Member #4855
          May 28, 2004
          399 Posts
          Posted: December 10, 2006, 1:31 am - IP Logged

It's interesting to note that all progressions were completed in these states between 4096 and 8192 draws.

Computers, as almost anyone knows, only work with two numbers - 0 and 1. Either a switch is off (0) or on (1). So, if any type of repeating cycle is to be found, it will occur on the cusp of a direct multiple of 2. With regard to the number of drawings mentioned here, the next possible multiple of 2 is 8,192 - 213. Check Drawing #1 and Drawing #8193. If the drawn numbers are the same the RNG used for the draw may be repeating itself. Proof would be to check Drawing #2 and Drawing #8194. If they are the same as well it is possible that the repeating cycle of the RNG has been found.

Interesting idea, but we could never get so so lucky!

paurths's avatar - underground
            Switching between Fairfax, VA and Belgium
            Belgium
            Member #19287
            July 29, 2005
            2254 Posts
            Posted: December 12, 2006, 7:18 pm - IP Logged

I would have to do some serious search for the code, it has been a long time,
            but i remember one number (amount of draws before every straight number came up, on average of all pick3 games in the US and Canada) popping up when it concerns the "turn of the pick3 game",
            and that number was around 7800 draws.

lasas3

An onion a day keeps everyone away!!!

lottaloot's avatar - AvatarZ56
              Redford/MI
              United States
              Member #3396
              January 18, 2004
              4867 Posts
              Posted: December 12, 2006, 8:04 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for posting this information. 

It was very informative & I appreciate the fact that you thought to share it here with all of us at the post.

L ttaL   T

NY
                United States
                Member #23835
                October 16, 2005
                2829 Posts
                Posted: December 13, 2006, 5:31 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the good info. Now how about the same info for a pick 4 game?

For those who don't read between the lines, I'll point out that for Georgia. the state that drew the final number in the least number of games, it still took 7.82 years, assuming they had  2 draws a day for the full 7.82 years. Remember that the next time somebody says a number is due because it hasn't come up for 3 or 4 or 5 years.

Thoth's avatar - binary
                  Findlay, Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #4855
                  May 28, 2004
                  399 Posts
                  Posted: December 13, 2006, 8:30 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the good info. Now how about the same info for a pick 4 game?

For those who don't read between the lines, I'll point out that for Georgia. the state that drew the final number in the least number of games, it still took 7.82 years, assuming they had  2 draws a day for the full 7.82 years. Remember that the next time somebody says a number is due because it hasn't come up for 3 or 4 or 5 years.

Your welcome KY FLOYD

...I have more info that better explains how this cycle works.  I hope to post it later on tonight or in the next day or so. I haven't done too much work with the Pick 4 but I have done enough to know that the median of 6,932 games is accurate.  With that in mind, the Pick 4 should closely follow these amounts:

Consecutive
                  Games

Percent of
                  Matrix Drawn

Numbers Drawn
                  From Matrix

Remaining to be drawn

50.00%

75.00%

87.50%

93.75%

96.88%

98.44%

99.22%

99.61%

99.80%

99.90%

99.95%

99.98%

99.99%

99.99%

100.00%

In a Pick 4 game you could expect the last one or two combos to hit between games 76,252 and 83,184.  Though Im sure there will be cases where it ends between 55,456 and 62,388.

The expected amount of different numbers drawn from the 10,000 combination matrix in exactly 10,000 games is 63.21% or 6321 combos. 

NY
                    United States
                    Member #23835
                    October 16, 2005
                    2829 Posts
                    Posted: December 14, 2006, 1:59 pm - IP Logged

Thanks, again.

And again, I'll read between the lines for those who think a number is overdue because other numbers have come up several times, while some numbers haven't come up at all. If the final number were drawn at game 55,456 it would mean that the other numbers had all been draw an average of 5.55 times. Since that distribution wouldn't be uniform we would expect that a lot of numbers had only been drawn once, while a similar number should have been drawn 11 times, and some would have been drawn 15 to 20 times.

I don't expect most people to understand the more complicated math that calculates these results, but here's a really simple way of looking at it.  Once 95% of the possible numbers have been drawn, in each subsequent drawing there's a 95% chance that the number drawn will be one that has already been drawn previously. A lot of people believe that a number is more likely to come up because it is "overdue" but the reality is that  those overdue numbers are less likely to be drawn than one of the numbers that isn't "overdue." Of course that has nothing to do with random events evening out in the long run. It's simply because once 95% of the numbers have been drawn there are 19 numbers that aren't overdue for each number that is.

I'll also point out that the percentage of the possible combinations that are actually played can be calculated the same way.  With about 176 million possible combination for MM, selling 176 million tickets would mean that about 63% of the combinations had been played if those combinations were chosen randomly, and that would mean that with 176 million tickets sold there would only be a 63% chance of having a winner.

Thoth's avatar - binary
                      Findlay, Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #4855
                      May 28, 2004
                      399 Posts
                      Posted: December 14, 2006, 9:08 pm - IP Logged

KY FLOYD 

"I'll also point out that the percentage of the possible combinations that are actually played can be calculated the same way.  With about 176 million possible combination for MM, selling 176 million tickets would mean that about 63% of the combinations had been played if those combinations were chosen randomly, and that would mean that with 176 million tickets sold there would only be a 63% chance of having a winner."

Quite true!  It would be fun to go blow $693.00 on Pick 3 quick-picks to see how just close to 500 the amount of unique tickets would be.  Random numbers are usually distributed in this way, provided that each number has the same probability of occurring...whether they be the actual drawing results or the random tickets themselves shouldnt matter.  Im not sure if this is referred to as hypergeometric or binomial distribution?

Once 95% of the possible numbers have been drawn, in each subsequent drawing there's a 95% chance that the number drawn will be one that has already been drawn previously. 

You are the first person to come right out and mention the "repeat factor"...lol, one less post for me to do!  That is what's directly responsible for the way the matrix breaks down.