Welcome Guest
The time is now 11:21 pm
You last visited July 30, 2014, 11:19 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

scratch-off tickets experiment

Topic closed. 28 replies. Last post 7 years ago by Ms. Pat.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #51624
April 17, 2007
3 Posts
Posted: April 17, 2007, 10:08 pm - IP Logged

I have been reading these posts and enjoy them very much.  I do play scratch off tickets and I usually buy 10 or 20 from the same game to increase my chances (1$ or 2$ games). Now I have been saving up some money and I want to try something new: I want to buy a whole book of 5$ tickets (It will cost 250$). But at the same time I don’t know if I’d be better off spending that 250$ on maybe 3 different 5$ games (maybe buy 15 tickets from each game). If you have tried a similar experiment or have any thoughts on this experiment, feel free to let me know. Of course, it is a matter of luck with scratch off but I think there are ways to play to increase your chances

Litebets27's avatar - power
    Maryland
    United States
    Member #10465
    January 14, 2005
    5519 Posts
    Posted: April 17, 2007, 11:06 pm - IP Logged

I'm sure most scratch-off players have thought about buying tickets in bulk. As a matter of fact, I have witness several older players buying up to $145.00 worth of tickets, usually on Friday evening.

The most I have brought was $40.00 worth of $5 and $10.00 tickets.

But one of these days, I may try a whole book.

litebets

Feeling,  PRICELESS!!!Banana

Peace be with you!!

nashville
      United States
      Member #7782
      October 12, 2004
      86 Posts
      Posted: April 18, 2007, 1:49 pm - IP Logged

just to let you know all books come in $300 lots At least that is how it is here in tenn. You can ask your store clerk. It does not matter if the denomination is a $ 1,2,5 10 or even $3 dollar all the tickets add up to $300

ToJo76*'s avatar - lottolion2
        Middle GA
        United States
        Member #42874
        July 9, 2006
        3729 Posts
        Posted: April 19, 2007, 10:36 am - IP Logged

just to let you know all books come in $300 lots At least that is how it is here in tenn. You can ask your store clerk. It does not matter if the denomination is a $ 1,2,5 10 or even $3 dollar all the tickets add up to $300

I've heard the same thing bamald13.  I've thought about trying this on several occasions, but I'm not that big a gambler just yet!  I took me a long time just to buy a single $10 and $20 ticket, LOL

Happily embracing my abundance daily! Big Smile

ford city ,pa
          United States
          Member #50937
          March 21, 2007
          7 Posts
          Posted: April 19, 2007, 12:53 pm - IP Logged

I work at a conv. store.  i have got packs of tickets before.they have never added up to what i spent.    a lady comes in and plays 400.00 and gets a few of each, she only brings back 200. to 300. once in awhile she'll hit big . i always stay with one ticket. i know this doesn't help much, but its one cashiers option.

have a wonderful day.See Ya!

United States
            Member #51624
            April 17, 2007
            3 Posts
            Posted: April 19, 2007, 8:07 pm - IP Logged

thank you for your post, litebets27. you’re right, most scratch off players have thought about buying in bulk. I usually buy 50$ worth of scratch off tickets but I haven’t bought any for 3 months, been saving it up for this experiment. I guess it’s no secret that by buying one or two tickets from one game, there are very slim chances of winning and if you buy 10 tickets your chances go up. What I am trying to do with this experiment is to see how one can increase their chances of winning. In a way I want to beat the lottery at their own game, because they’re very good at taking people’s moneyJ

while I know that it’s very tough, I’m just trying to figure out some strategies to increase winnings. One of my friends suggested buying 10 tickets of a game of 5$ (playing 3 different games - 5$ tickets), and if I win at the particular game, I stop playing. If I hit 10 losers in a row that means the ‘winner ticket’ is still in that book and I should buy more from the same game. I agree but I think that’s more risky and there’s a chance a person standing in line behind me could buy more of the same game and maybe win. My plan is to buy a whole book since it wouldn’t be that risky? Or maybe I should try both strategies out and see which one works better. Of course, I’ll ‘report’ my findings on here.

peace

Coastal Georgia
              United States
              Member #2653
              October 30, 2003
              1866 Posts
              Posted: April 19, 2007, 8:50 pm - IP Logged

Buying a book is very risky. I have heard of people buying a $300 book and only getting $200 in return or worse.

Having said that, if you get the "right" book with a $1000 ticket in it or something even higher, then of course you have made a wise decision....

That's why they call it gambling.

Good luck if you choose to do it !!!!!!!!!!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                17740 Posts
                Posted: April 19, 2007, 9:32 pm - IP Logged

Estimate how many books of scratch-off tickets this store sold during the last year and then ask the clerk how many winners over $300 did he/she actually see during that time. 

If you're lucky you may do better than hundreds of their other customers.  Remember state generally return half of total sales as prizes so for ever $500 prize awarded $1000 worth of tickets had to be sold that won nothing.

* you don't need more tickets * 
                * just the right ticket * 
                   Wink 

Honduras
                  Member #20982
                  August 29, 2005
                  4715 Posts
                  Posted: April 19, 2007, 9:39 pm - IP Logged

I have been reading these posts and enjoy them very much.  I do play scratch off tickets and I usually buy 10 or 20 from the same game to increase my chances (1$ or 2$ games). Now I have been saving up some money and I want to try something new: I want to buy a whole book of 5$ tickets (It will cost 250$). But at the same time I don’t know if I’d be better off spending that 250$ on maybe 3 different 5$ games (maybe buy 15 tickets from each game). If you have tried a similar experiment or have any thoughts on this experiment, feel free to let me know. Of course, it is a matter of luck with scratch off but I think there are ways to play to increase your chances

Have you thought of this: http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/150921

basically a scratch-off pool/syndicate...All you got to do is share in 20 dollars a week....

"The truth is out there....."                                  from movie "The X-files"

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
                    Yinzer Country, PA
                    United States
                    Member #4067
                    March 18, 2004
                    2733 Posts
                    Posted: April 20, 2007, 12:14 am - IP Logged

Ok.  Judging by the odds, and taking into account that you will likely not hit any of the top prizes, you are likely to win back approx. $150.  In other words, you will likely lose at least $100 doing this.  It really isn't worth it.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

Tnplayer805's avatar - G 14_v78828750_Small.JPG
                      North Dakota
                      United States
                      Member #13397
                      April 5, 2005
                      1623 Posts
                      Posted: April 20, 2007, 1:45 pm - IP Logged

I have bought a book of $10 tickets before.  I made sure the odds and payout were good.  The largest winner I got was $30.  Out of the $300 I only got back $190.  So I'm not sure if the book would be a good idea.

How are you going to win if you don't play?

New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #51734
                        April 22, 2007
                        22 Posts
                        Posted: April 22, 2007, 12:32 am - IP Logged

I have bought a book of $10 tickets before.  I made sure the odds and payout were good.  The largest winner I got was $30.  Out of the $300 I only got back $190.  So I'm not sure if the book would be a good idea.

Wow! I'm not gonna try that then!  Thanks!

gacash3's avatar - white face.jpg
                          south
                          United States
                          Member #27083
                          November 26, 2005
                          2151 Posts
                          Posted: April 23, 2007, 6:21 am - IP Logged

i have bought 3 books before and i think i was down 200 dollars afterward,...only 1 of those books was a winner...the other 2 i lost my a#$....yep its gambling...what else can u say....but i want everyone to find a recnt winner of even just a free ticket and im sure i can identify specific markings to conclude its a winner.....sounds iff to you guys im sure,but i really think ive got something here....i bought a five dollar ticket a few days ago and won 100 back....it was a winner before i even scratched it....it was marked...i could tell!

Tnplayer805's avatar - G 14_v78828750_Small.JPG
                            North Dakota
                            United States
                            Member #13397
                            April 5, 2005
                            1623 Posts
                            Posted: April 23, 2007, 8:56 am - IP Logged

I've too noticed the marks in Tenn.  I'm not going to spoil it for anyone but 9/10 times this method works for me.  In FL I won $500 last month and I thankfully I kept the ticket.  There is a white marking on this ticket.  I noticed it at the time I bought it and said to myself... I've never noticed that before.  I knew about the marks in TN but wasn't sure FL had them.  To my surprise I won $500.  Just some food for thought I guess.

How are you going to win if you don't play?

Georgia
                              United States
                              Member #48550
                              January 1, 2007
                              11 Posts
                              Posted: April 23, 2007, 9:27 am - IP Logged

I play scratch off tickets and never hit anything over $500.oo  Ga has a marking also and those hit more then not.I also have notice certain numbers hit more then others.  Iwould go with tickets that still have big payouts on them...Party

Ga Jen♥