Welcome Guest
The time is now 5:27 am
You last visited September 16, 2014, 5:24 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Indiana Lottery (Hoosier Lotto)

Topic closed. 28 replies. Last post 7 years ago by Guru101.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Bradly_60's avatar - disney37
Atlantic Mine, Michigan
United States
Member #416
June 23, 2002
1614 Posts
Posted: August 11, 2007, 5:09 pm - IP Logged

Have you guys seen that jackpot for the game?  It is at $42 million!!  The odds of winning are less than 1 in 13 million.  Even with the cash option being about $20 million this is a game to get onto now.  There is very few times in the lottery world that the jackpot is larger then the odds of winning especially in the cash option sense.  I wish I had $12 million to pluck down and buy myself a win...haha

Brad 

Enterprise, Alabama
    United States
    Member #3796
    February 21, 2004
    11 Posts
    Posted: August 11, 2007, 6:05 pm - IP Logged

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/159907

Read the above-posted earlier thread to find out why I stopped buying Hoosier Lotto tickets a few weeks ago. It's an RNG drawing, and personally speaking, I think it will continue to rollover so long as the Hoosier Lottery wants it to rollover. It's their big cash cow right now.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
      Indiana
      United States
      Member #48725
      January 7, 2007
      1841 Posts
      Posted: August 11, 2007, 6:56 pm - IP Logged

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/159907

Read the above-posted earlier thread to find out why I stopped buying Hoosier Lotto tickets a few weeks ago. It's an RNG drawing, and personally speaking, I think it will continue to rollover so long as the Hoosier Lottery wants it to rollover. It's their big cash cow right now.

If you're going to rag on the Hoosier Lottery because it's RNG, then you should be ragging on all RNG lotteries. Plus, why do you think it will keep rolling over as long as the Hoosier Lottery wants it too? You don't have video, pictures, or audio evidence acquired so all you can do is sit there and whine because you lost some money playing the lottery and say that they're cheaters. Seriously people, the Hoosier Lottery isn't the only RNG lottery, in yet so many people all of a sudden have a childish obsession with the Hoosier Lottery. Grow up people. Either play or don't. Stop whining.

Gonna win.Big Smile

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        17874 Posts
        Posted: August 12, 2007, 12:01 am - IP Logged

Have you guys seen that jackpot for the game?  It is at $42 million!!  The odds of winning are less than 1 in 13 million.  Even with the cash option being about $20 million this is a game to get onto now.  There is very few times in the lottery world that the jackpot is larger then the odds of winning especially in the cash option sense.  I wish I had $12 million to pluck down and buy myself a win...haha

Brad 

Do you really think you need to play all 12.3M possible combinations to win?  A few years ago there was a Canadian company that claim they could win any 649 game one of every three times they played with only 300,000 combinations.  At the time they were taking applications from anyone with $10K to waste to get on a waiting list to join one of their lottery pools for a Canadian lottery.

* you don't need more tickets, just the right ticket * 
        * your best chance at winning a lottery jackpot is to buy a ticket * 
             Wink 

NY
          United States
          Member #23835
          October 16, 2005
          2829 Posts
          Posted: August 12, 2007, 3:36 am - IP Logged

Obviously you only need to play one combination to win. If you want to guarantee a win you have to play every combination. Anyone who claims they can guarantee winning 1/3 of the time with less than 1/3 of the combinations is either confused or a liar. In the case of a company trying to charge 10 grand to join a pool I'm pretty sure we all know which description fits.

Enterprise, Alabama
            United States
            Member #3796
            February 21, 2004
            11 Posts
            Posted: August 12, 2007, 5:06 am - IP Logged

If you're going to rag on the Hoosier Lottery because it's RNG, then you should be ragging on all RNG lotteries. Plus, why do you think it will keep rolling over as long as the Hoosier Lottery wants it too? You don't have video, pictures, or audio evidence acquired so all you can do is sit there and whine because you lost some money playing the lottery and say that they're cheaters. Seriously people, the Hoosier Lottery isn't the only RNG lottery, in yet so many people all of a sudden have a childish obsession with the Hoosier Lottery. Grow up people. Either play or don't. Stop whining.

Notice I wrote "...personally speaking, I think..." I'm expressing a personal thought or opinion. If you think that's whining, that's your opinion. I'll continue expressing my opinions when and if I want to. Nobody has to like, read, or agree with my opinion.

Prior to going to RNG, the Hoosier Lotto rarely went above the $10M to $20M range. It is conceivable RNG drawings can be set to pick a combination that no one selected for a particular drawing. Do you work for the Hoosier Lottery and know first-hand it's all above-board, particularly in light of several scandals in Hoosier Lottery?

I don't play or support RNG drawings, and I stopped playing Hoosier Lotto since learning some weeks ago that Hoosier Lotto was an RNG game.

BTW do you play the Hoosier Lotto? It's now at an all-time record-high jackpot. 

Indiana
              United States
              Member #48725
              January 7, 2007
              1841 Posts
              Posted: August 12, 2007, 1:49 pm - IP Logged

Notice I wrote "...personally speaking, I think..." I'm expressing a personal thought or opinion. If you think that's whining, that's your opinion. I'll continue expressing my opinions when and if I want to. Nobody has to like, read, or agree with my opinion.

Prior to going to RNG, the Hoosier Lotto rarely went above the $10M to $20M range. It is conceivable RNG drawings can be set to pick a combination that no one selected for a particular drawing. Do you work for the Hoosier Lottery and know first-hand it's all above-board, particularly in light of several scandals in Hoosier Lottery?

I don't play or support RNG drawings, and I stopped playing Hoosier Lotto since learning some weeks ago that Hoosier Lotto was an RNG game.

BTW do you play the Hoosier Lotto? It's now at an all-time record-high jackpot. 

If you're just expressing your opinion, maybe you should go into ANY topic started about a lottery, and if it's an RNG lottery, post "RNG Cheaters! RNG Cheaters!". The person who started this thread wanted to talk about a high jackpot, not whether or not the Hoosier Lottery cheats or why it's RNG, therefore your post was OFF TOPIC. The targeting of the Hoosier Lottery on this forum is keeping people who want to talk about the Hoosier Lottery games from having a decent discussion because somebody has to come into the thread and post "RNG Cheaters! RNG Cheaters!". You don't see me going into threads and whining and dragging down the conversation. Yes, I do play the Hoosier Lotto. As far as I'm concerned, if someone's going to bash a lottery, it's because they're mad they couldn't be THE ONE who won the big one so they could retire and live the cushy life. They can't realize that set of numbers they played was just a shot in the dark. If it gets lucky, it gets lucky, and if it don't, it don't. You keep saying it's rigged, but that's all you're doing. You haven't acquired video, pictures, or audio, but you keep saying its rigged. WHINER!!! If it's rigged as you say it is, then I want you to PHYSICALLY get off your butt, and GO GET PROOF! Go get it! Stop coming into every Hoosier Lottery thread and posting "RNG Cheaters!".

Gonna win.Big Smile

Kentucky
                United States
                Member #32652
                February 14, 2006
                5433 Posts
                Posted: August 12, 2007, 5:05 pm - IP Logged

If you're just expressing your opinion, maybe you should go into ANY topic started about a lottery, and if it's an RNG lottery, post "RNG Cheaters! RNG Cheaters!". The person who started this thread wanted to talk about a high jackpot, not whether or not the Hoosier Lottery cheats or why it's RNG, therefore your post was OFF TOPIC. The targeting of the Hoosier Lottery on this forum is keeping people who want to talk about the Hoosier Lottery games from having a decent discussion because somebody has to come into the thread and post "RNG Cheaters! RNG Cheaters!". You don't see me going into threads and whining and dragging down the conversation. Yes, I do play the Hoosier Lotto. As far as I'm concerned, if someone's going to bash a lottery, it's because they're mad they couldn't be THE ONE who won the big one so they could retire and live the cushy life. They can't realize that set of numbers they played was just a shot in the dark. If it gets lucky, it gets lucky, and if it don't, it don't. You keep saying it's rigged, but that's all you're doing. You haven't acquired video, pictures, or audio, but you keep saying its rigged. WHINER!!! If it's rigged as you say it is, then I want you to PHYSICALLY get off your butt, and GO GET PROOF! Go get it! Stop coming into every Hoosier Lottery thread and posting "RNG Cheaters!".

Unless a state is running some type of a promotion, hitting a Pick-3 straight pays $500 but we have to overcome odds of 1000 to 1 to win that. Every state website I've read shows the payoffs and those odds so they are not hiding the fact they have a 50% edge. On the Power Ball site the odds of winning $100 is around 12,000 to 1 so the "house" edge can get even higher. 

State lottery sites have links to their financial reports; for instance in the fiscal year 2006, Ohio had ticket sales of $2.22 billion and paid out $1.31 billion in prizes so the house edge was about 40% on all lottery games. They break it down to individual games so a player can see in which games the "house" has a best edge.

http://www.ohiolottery.com/pdf/2006_CAFR.pdf

Lotteries are cash cows so it would be stupid for a state lottery commission to cheat. However state lotteries are graded on profits and sometimes stupid things are done to lower operating expenses. Like deciding to change from live keno/bingo ball style drawings to the cartoon computer animated RNG draws. Why they would want to jeopardize the integrity of their games to save a couple of bucks is beyond me.

"You keep saying it's rigged, but that's all you're doing. You haven't acquired video, pictures, or audio, but you keep saying its rigged."

I haven't seen any facts that prove "a huge majority of winners" come from certain areas either. There are many legitimate reasons why that is happening and if they are cheating, they certainly are not doing a very good job of hiding it. If players are willing to play games where the "house" already has a 40% to 50% edge, it seems to me they would have no problem buying their scratch-off and jackpot game tickets in those areas.

"WHINER!!!"

If they don't have the facts to back up their claims, that is an accurate assessment. (Unless of course somebody is holding a gun to their head and making them play.)

wyoming, michigan
                  United States
                  Member #53058
                  June 22, 2007
                  637 Posts
                  Posted: August 12, 2007, 5:41 pm - IP Logged

I drive a truck and played the hoosier about 1 1/2 months ago.  Did an 18 # system with a 3 if 5 guarantee.  Ran it with 14 hot and 4 overdue, caught 5 # and two tics with three #.  Tighter system 4 of 5 would have been nice.  RNG did not affect that draw i thoght, right place right time.  DLD

Indiana
                    United States
                    Member #48725
                    January 7, 2007
                    1841 Posts
                    Posted: August 12, 2007, 6:00 pm - IP Logged

Unless a state is running some type of a promotion, hitting a Pick-3 straight pays $500 but we have to overcome odds of 1000 to 1 to win that. Every state website I've read shows the payoffs and those odds so they are not hiding the fact they have a 50% edge. On the Power Ball site the odds of winning $100 is around 12,000 to 1 so the "house" edge can get even higher. 

State lottery sites have links to their financial reports; for instance in the fiscal year 2006, Ohio had ticket sales of $2.22 billion and paid out $1.31 billion in prizes so the house edge was about 40% on all lottery games. They break it down to individual games so a player can see in which games the "house" has a best edge.

http://www.ohiolottery.com/pdf/2006_CAFR.pdf

Lotteries are cash cows so it would be stupid for a state lottery commission to cheat. However state lotteries are graded on profits and sometimes stupid things are done to lower operating expenses. Like deciding to change from live keno/bingo ball style drawings to the cartoon computer animated RNG draws. Why they would want to jeopardize the integrity of their games to save a couple of bucks is beyond me.

"You keep saying it's rigged, but that's all you're doing. You haven't acquired video, pictures, or audio, but you keep saying its rigged."

I haven't seen any facts that prove "a huge majority of winners" come from certain areas either. There are many legitimate reasons why that is happening and if they are cheating, they certainly are not doing a very good job of hiding it. If players are willing to play games where the "house" already has a 40% to 50% edge, it seems to me they would have no problem buying their scratch-off and jackpot game tickets in those areas.

"WHINER!!!"

If they don't have the facts to back up their claims, that is an accurate assessment. (Unless of course somebody is holding a gun to their head and making them play.)

"If they don't have the facts to back up their claims, that is an accurate assessment. (Unless of course somebody is holding a gun to their head and making them play.)"

I don't know if you people who are complaining about the Hoosier Lottery realize this, but the burden of proof is on YOU. You don't just go around claiming malice is taking place here and there without some sort of proof. If you want people to think the Hoosier Lottery is rigged, then YOU have to show some proof. How you go about getting that proof is your own business, but that's the way it is. I don't think the Hoosier Lottery has a reason to rig its games, therefore, I play the game comfortably that it's not rigged. You show me something that is COLD HARD and without unreasonable doubt, then I'll believe you. Look what you people who are complaining about the Hoosier Lottery have done. You have dragged down yet ANOTHER thread about the Hoosier Lottery. You have once again turned a Hoosier Lottery thread into a thread about rigged games and cheats.

Gonna win.Big Smile

Indiana
                      United States
                      Member #29196
                      December 29, 2005
                      280 Posts
                      Posted: August 12, 2007, 11:51 pm - IP Logged

I have said repeadedly that I do not have any factual proof the Hoosier Lottery is rigged.  There are 2 instances of rigged games I can point to.

1. The William Foreman Scratch off scandal.  Mr. Foreman...a Hoosier Lottery Security Official rigged a scratch off game.  The Hoosir Lottery has admitted Mr. Foreman rigged the game.  His accomplices have pled guilty in a plea bargain agreement.  Mr. Foreman is out on bail awaiting trial but press reports indicate he will in all probability not be tried.

2. The Cash Blast Scratch off scandal has resulted in a Class Action suit against the Hoosier Lottery.  This game costs $10 to play and the Hoosier Lottery sold 5 million tickets for a total of $50 million in sales.  They advertised a total of $8 million in prizes.  Press reports claim that in total the Hoosier Lottery paid out less than $1 million in total prizes on this game.  The Hoosier Lottery blames the printer...Scientific Games for printing 2.5 million tickets in error.  They claim they replaced the defective ticlets but forgot to subtract the prizes they paid form the replacement ticket total.  Nonetheless, the fact remains over $7 million in prizes simply didn't exist (according to press reports and the class action lawsuit filed against them). 

In a press release the Hoosier stopped short of admitting the prizes didn't exist but they did provide a claim form for those people who purchased non winning tickets for said game.  Rather than pay out any prizes or refund any money...the Hoosier Lottery offered to issue these people a $10 voucher good for a free scratch off game of their choice. 

Those are the only 2 cases of rigged games in the Hoosier Lottery that I can point to. 

NOTE: I do not accept the Hoosier Lottery's explanation that the paid prizes were not subtracted from the replacement tickets.  Why?  Because they didn't pay out those prizes.  Once again...there was more than $7 million worth of advertised prizes that were not paid out.  If they weren't paid out...they couldn't possibly be subtracted from the total of prizes paid.  This explanation simply doesn't pass the laugh test.  And yes..I do believe a game which advertises prizes that simply don't exist is rigged.  But it is conceivable to me that this could be a case of gross but more probably criminal incompetence.

There is one other disturbing instance that I can point to.  It does not mean the game a rigged but I nonetheless, find it quite odd.  There is one documented case reported in the press of a $20,000 prize being paid to someone without a ticket.  I have no further information on what game was involved or to whom the prize was paid.  But former Hoosier Lottery Executive Director Esther Q. Schneider did admit that it was standard procedure to investigate and indeed pay lottery prizes to people who claimed to have lost their tickets.  In a published statement she claimed to have put an end to that practice.  She also claimed in the same statement to have instituted a security procedure in which all claiments were asked Do you have any relatives who work for the Hoosier Lottery.  According to her, this question had never been asked of people claiming prizes.

This last bit certainly does not mean any games were rigged.  But I think any serious player here at lottery post would find the situation of paying prizes to players without tickets very disturbing indeed.

Jim 

Money frees you from doing things you dislike.  Since I dislike doing nearly everything, money is handy.  - Groucho Marx

Indiana
                        United States
                        Member #29196
                        December 29, 2005
                        280 Posts
                        Posted: August 13, 2007, 12:26 am - IP Logged

I believe that a disproportionate number of Hoosier Lottery prizes go to residents of Indianapolis/Marion County.  Indianapolis/Marion County is the state capital and the home of the Hoosier Lottery.  I asked the Hoosier Lottery why this was the case and was told more prize winners come from Indianapolis/Marion County because it is the most populous region in the state.   So I did a little comparision.  These figures are from the U.S Census department.

Marion County has a population of approximately 865,000 people.  I could not find a breakdown on adults versus children

I then took the populations of Indiana's 4 northern most counties (i.e those in and just outside the Chicago Metropolitian area) and the population of Indiana's 2nd largerst city Fort Wayne.

Lake County has approx 494,000 people

Porter County has approx 160,000 people

LaPorte County has approx 110,000 people

St. Joseph County (the city of South Bend) has approx 266,000 people

Allen County (the city of Fort Wayne) has approx 347,000 people 

The total population of these 5 counties is approx 1,377,000.  (Roughly half again as many as Marion County and more that 6 times the geographic size.)

Marion = 865,000

5 counties combined = 1,377,000 

Then I went to the Hoosier Lottery website and compared the total number of Top Tier Prize winners on all Hoosier Lottery games.  (I will not list every one but I will list only those that stood out to me.)

First the Hoosier Lottery (including it's original incarnation as Lotto Cash:

Marion County 35 winners

Lake County 5 winners

Porter County 2 winners

LaPorte County 5 winners

St Joseph County 6 winners

Allen County 8 winners

Marion County = 35 winners 

5 counties combined = 26

Then I looked at Scratch Off games.  Here's a couple that really stood out:

Bankroll:

Marion 5 winners

Lake 1 winner

Porter 0 winners

LaPorte 0 winner

St. Joseph 2 winners

Allen 1 winner

Marion = 5 

5 counties combined = 4

Crown Jewels:

Marion 5

Lake 0

Porter 0

LaPorte 0

St Joseph 0

Allen 1

Marion = 5  

5 counties combined = 1

Tax Free Millions:

Marion 4

Lake 0

Porter 0

LaPorte 0

St Joseph 1

Allen 1

Marion = 4 

5 counties combined = 2 

Two Million Cash:

Marion 4

Lake1

Porter 0

LaPorte 0

St Joseph 0

Allen 1

Marion = 4  

5 counties combined = 1

In these 4 scratch off games the  grand totals are:

Marion = 18 

5 counties combined = 8 

That's more than a 2 to 1 ratio of winners in Marion County compared to the most popululous regions in the state with only 2/3rd's of the population and less that 1/6th of the gepographic area.   

For Hoosier Lotto it is 35 to 26 with the same demographics. 

This is just raw data without sales per capita.  And it is just 5 Hoosier Lottery games.  But I would love to hear what others here think about these numbers.  Agree...disagree...no opinion please post your thoughts.

Jim  

Money frees you from doing things you dislike.  Since I dislike doing nearly everything, money is handy.  - Groucho Marx

Indiana
                          United States
                          Member #48725
                          January 7, 2007
                          1841 Posts
                          Posted: August 13, 2007, 12:28 am - IP Logged

I have said repeadedly that I do not have any factual proof the Hoosier Lottery is rigged.  There are 2 instances of rigged games I can point to.

1. The William Foreman Scratch off scandal.  Mr. Foreman...a Hoosier Lottery Security Official rigged a scratch off game.  The Hoosir Lottery has admitted Mr. Foreman rigged the game.  His accomplices have pled guilty in a plea bargain agreement.  Mr. Foreman is out on bail awaiting trial but press reports indicate he will in all probability not be tried.

2. The Cash Blast Scratch off scandal has resulted in a Class Action suit against the Hoosier Lottery.  This game costs $10 to play and the Hoosier Lottery sold 5 million tickets for a total of $50 million in sales.  They advertised a total of $8 million in prizes.  Press reports claim that in total the Hoosier Lottery paid out less than $1 million in total prizes on this game.  The Hoosier Lottery blames the printer...Scientific Games for printing 2.5 million tickets in error.  They claim they replaced the defective ticlets but forgot to subtract the prizes they paid form the replacement ticket total.  Nonetheless, the fact remains over $7 million in prizes simply didn't exist (according to press reports and the class action lawsuit filed against them). 

In a press release the Hoosier stopped short of admitting the prizes didn't exist but they did provide a claim form for those people who purchased non winning tickets for said game.  Rather than pay out any prizes or refund any money...the Hoosier Lottery offered to issue these people a $10 voucher good for a free scratch off game of their choice. 

Those are the only 2 cases of rigged games in the Hoosier Lottery that I can point to. 

NOTE: I do not accept the Hoosier Lottery's explanation that the paid prizes were not subtracted from the replacement tickets.  Why?  Because they didn't pay out those prizes.  Once again...there was more than $7 million worth of advertised prizes that were not paid out.  If they weren't paid out...they couldn't possibly be subtracted from the total of prizes paid.  This explanation simply doesn't pass the laugh test.  And yes..I do believe a game which advertises prizes that simply don't exist is rigged.  But it is conceivable to me that this could be a case of gross but more probably criminal incompetence.

There is one other disturbing instance that I can point to.  It does not mean the game a rigged but I nonetheless, find it quite odd.  There is one documented case reported in the press of a $20,000 prize being paid to someone without a ticket.  I have no further information on what game was involved or to whom the prize was paid.  But former Hoosier Lottery Executive Director Esther Q. Schneider did admit that it was standard procedure to investigate and indeed pay lottery prizes to people who claimed to have lost their tickets.  In a published statement she claimed to have put an end to that practice.  She also claimed in the same statement to have instituted a security procedure in which all claiments were asked Do you have any relatives who work for the Hoosier Lottery.  According to her, this question had never been asked of people claiming prizes.

This last bit certainly does not mean any games were rigged.  But I think any serious player here at lottery post would find the situation of paying prizes to players without tickets very disturbing indeed.

Jim 

Response to William Foreman case - You say the Hoosier Lottery admitted William Foreman rigged a scratch off game. From what I've read, that's not exactly true. According to this link:

http://www.in.gov/judiciary/opinions/pdf/04300701ehf.pdf

William Foreman shared highly confidential information with his friends, locate and win from high paying scratch off tickets. I would see this as cheating. It may be considered rigging in a sense that it wasn't fair, but more on the lines of outright cheating. However, inside any organization, there could be someone crooked. In this case, a security official who worked for the Hoosier Lottery. Something to remember though, just because 1 cop is crooked, doesn't mean all cops are crooked. So this time around the Hoosier Lottery ended up with someone who thought they could cheat. The state of Indiana(which includes the Hoosier Lottery) has taken action against that individual.

Response to scratch off scandal - The Hoosier Lottery claims that the printing company caused the errors. If that's true, then it's definitely understandable. That doesn't mean they shouldn't somehow be at least partially responsible for what happened, but at the same time that doesn't mean the organization as a whole is corrupt. This is a situation in which the Hoosier Lottery chose a bad business partner.

Response to asking people if a relative works for the lottery - This definitely holds no ground as far as whether or not there's cheating going on. If a lottery winner's relative works for the lottery, more than likely it's "just because".

So as you can see, it's not black and white. The Hoosier Lottery has definitely had hostility with some of it's players, but regarding the William Foreman case and the scratch off scandal, I see them more as bad business ordeals as opposed to claiming the organization as a whole is corrupt.

Gonna win.Big Smile

NY
                            United States
                            Member #23835
                            October 16, 2005
                            2829 Posts
                            Posted: August 13, 2007, 12:45 am - IP Logged

"I think any serious player here at lottery post would find the situation of paying prizes to players without tickets very disturbing indeed."

Why on Earth should anyone find that disturbing?  The lottery knows exactly how many winning tickets there are, so they certainly aren't going to make a payment for a ticket that didn't exist. We all know that they don't make payments for plenty of the winning tickets that do exist, because people lose them or don't realize they're winners. If you can present a strong case that you lost or destroyed a winning ticket and the lottery knows it wasn't paid and nobody else can prove the ticket belonged to them, why shouldn't they pay it? We certainly know the prize for a winning ticket shouldn't be paid to the lottery.

As far as the Cash Blast tickets, did the lottery "advertise" unpaid prizes or did they simply report how many hadn't been claimed? I'm guessing it's the latter, because once they've started selling tickets the lottery has no idea how many  prizes haven't been won. All they know is how many were available, how many have already been claimed, andthe difference is how many haven't been claimed yet. Until somebody proves otherwise it appears that all of the prizes that were supposed to exist did exist. They just had to reprint half of the tickets, and those tickets presumably included  half of the prizes. That a few people are stupid enough to think their odds are better just because a bunch of prizes hadn't been claimed yet simply means that being stupid can be inconvenient and costly.

As far as the populations of different counties and the number of winners in those counties, there's nothing to indicate that the ratio of  ticket sales in each county is the same as the ratio of the population in each county.  Maybe people in one county buy twice as many tickets per capita as people in another county.  For starters you should also look at the distribution of the smallest prizes. If they correlate well with population distribution while prizes at the highest levels don't then you might have some information that suggests something unusual is going on.

Indiana
                              United States
                              Member #48725
                              January 7, 2007
                              1841 Posts
                              Posted: August 13, 2007, 8:43 am - IP Logged

Kentucky Lottery headquarters are over in Louisville. I live close to the state border in Indiana, and my cable company is located in Louisville. I must say that I see a lot more Kentucky Lottery commercials than Hoosier Lottery commercials. We still get PowerBall commercials frequently when the jackpot is over $50 million. Also, I went to Indianapolis(which is at the very center of Marion county and the location of Hoosier Lottery headquarters) for a school trip one time for 3 days and I saw a Hoosier Lottery commercial several times a day. So it doesn't surprise me that there are more winners from Marion county. There's more media coverage of the Hoosier Lottery further upstate. Most people around here probably just play PowerBall. More coverage and more people in Marion.

Gonna win.Big Smile