Welcome Guest
The time is now 6:22 pm
You last visited October 1, 2014, 6:18 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Setting up a trust to avoid gift tax?

Topic closed. 13 replies. Last post 7 years ago by TexasDreams.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Entertaiment Capital
United States
Member #37800
April 19, 2006
302 Posts
Posted: December 6, 2007, 12:33 am - IP Logged

I am not sure how it works. So let's say I won the current Megamillions jackpot. Beside splitting the jackpot with my family members (10% for my parents and 1.5 for each of my sisters), I want to help out my friends, who are two of them. One wants Mustantg Cobra GT and the other needs to pay off hios home loan. So if I grant them some money, does setting up a trust and designate them as my benificiaries help? 

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
    Wandering Aimlessly
    United States
    Member #25360
    November 5, 2005
    4457 Posts
    Posted: December 6, 2007, 1:33 am - IP Logged

Setting up a trust to avoid gift tax?

No.  First of all, the correct word is "reduce" not "avoid" when you talk about paying taxes.  Also, a beneficiary is someone who gets your money when you die. But since you asked about gift tax (not estate tax) mentioning life insurance and other estate planning vehicles isn't going to answer your question.  No matter how old you are, all of us can get sick or die, so it's important to make sure that your loved ones are protected with either a will, a trust and a life insurance policy. 

So my answer is, no matter what anyone tells you on an internet forum (including me) contact a reputable professional (I'd go to an attorney) after you win a big jackpot and before you ever claim the prize. If you create a pool and claim the ticket as a group or trust, it's possible that you can avoid most of the gift tax by each having a share in the pool.  Once you have the money, you can't just decide to create a trust and give away money to avoid taxes. The IRS is a lot smarter than that or everyone, not just lottery winners, would be doing it. But you can give away $12,000 to all of your friends and relatives every year, pay all of their medical bills, health insurance & tuition. 

United States
      Member #31636
      February 1, 2006
      249 Posts
      Posted: December 6, 2007, 10:22 am - IP Logged

Can I loan friends any amount of money? Then give them a life time to pay it back?

csfb's avatar - Lottery-001.jpg

United States
        Member #15309
        May 13, 2005
        307 Posts
        Posted: December 8, 2007, 3:16 pm - IP Logged

I am not sure how it works. So let's say I won the current Megamillions jackpot. Beside splitting the jackpot with my family members (10% for my parents and 1.5 for each of my sisters), I want to help out my friends, who are two of them. One wants Mustantg Cobra GT and the other needs to pay off hios home loan. So if I grant them some money, does setting up a trust and designate them as my benificiaries help? 

Trust is an extensive subject matter, but I am assuming you are referring to a revocable private trust, or what is commonly called living trust.  But there are other trusts and sub-trusts depending on what your ultimate objective is, the size of your estate, and the extent of your bounty.

A trust is a good instrument when planning the preservation of your estate, without a big chunk of it going to estate taxes and gift taxes and assuring that your designated beneficiaries are well-provided. 

I'm not sure what your ultimate objective is, but if you just want to  gift a car and pay off someone else's mortgage, today,  you can do that without designating them as beneficiaries to a trust.  Just be ready to pay gift taxes.

If you have a sizable estate, it is a must for you to consult with an estate planning attorney and a certified public accountant.  It is well worth the consultation fee they'll charge you.

Sun Smiley             

TheGameGrl's avatar - necros
          Pennsylvania
          United States
          Member #17084
          June 10, 2005
          3117 Posts
          Posted: December 8, 2007, 5:51 pm - IP Logged

AN alternative suggestion- Which I have done in graciousness towards a family member.

I bought a car, titled it in my name. Paid cash on the line. Six months later, I transferred ownership/title to my son for one dollar! The government cannot Mandate how much you chose to sell your personal property for. So it was completely legitmate. It wasnt a gift because he paid for it.

This too can hold true for real estate. If I want to sell my land or house for a miniscule amount and transfer title to someone, that is my right. The only tax involved is school, which the persons would have to pay yearly or quarterly, depending ....

As to a Trust fund. Yes one can be created whilst STILL alive. And the recipient can be granted funds or certain priveldges from that trust.

Personally I like the idea of hiring them. Set them up with a matching IRA account. Give them company cars or an estate house they can reside in whilst you are traveling or conducting pleasure trips!

Signature quote-If I'd agree with you , we'd both be wrong.

TexasDreams's avatar - Trek ROMSYM2.gif
            Houston, Texas
            United States
            Member #56457
            November 19, 2007
            55 Posts
            Posted: December 11, 2007, 3:13 pm - IP Logged

Hi ambelamba,

I posted a little info on trusts from a law firm who is certified in this area; however, it pertains to trusts under Texas law, but it didn't post. So I have copied/paste some information regarding trusts,again. A trust is a ideal asset protection, Estate Tax avoiding and Generation Skipping delay tool for people, especially lotto winners. Here's how it works in Texas-----

Gift assets outright to third parties (typically family members)

If an individual no longer owns an asset, his creditors generally cannot take

such asset. Of course, the individual must be willing and able to part

with the asset.

Gift assets to irrevocable trusts for third party beneficiaries (typically

family members). Same reasoning as above. Additionally, if the trust

is drafted properly as a spendthrift trust, the trust assets will also be

protected from the creditors of the trust beneficiaries.

Transfer assets to a self-settled spendthrift trust in a jurisdiction that

allows creditor protection for self-settled trusts
            . Certain jurisdictions

allow an individual to transfer assets to a trust of which he or she is a

beneficiary while at the same time protecting the transferred assets

from some or all of the individual’s creditors.

Self-Settled Spendthrift Trust Basics

A. Generally, under Texas law, an individual (“Grantor”) can create a

trust for another person (“Beneficiary”) and the assets in such trust can

be safeguarded from the creditors of the Grantor and the Beneficiary

(commonly referred to as a “spendthrift trust”).

B. However, Texas law does not permit an individual to create a trust

over which such individual has retained certain interests (i.e. the

individual is a beneficiary, has a power of appointment or a revocation

power) and protect such trust assets from the claims of the individual’s

creditors. See Texas Trust Code §112.035. Such a “self-settled” trust

offers no creditor protection in Texas. Most other U.S. states have

similar laws.

C. Conversely, a few U.S. states and some foreign countries do have laws

that permit self-settled spendthrift trusts.

**As quoted from----

ASSET PROTECTION PLANNING:

DOMESTIC TRUSTS AND FOREIGN TRUSTS by

Scott Schepps, Shareholder

Fizer, Beck, Webster, Bentley & Scroggins, a professional corporation

Just for the record I have no interest in this law firm, other than finding this article when I was doing research for my parents when they set up their trust, I used a different law firm. I hope this helps in answering your question, and to any others, because after all tonight is a MEGA MILLION draw for $115 Million!!!!!!!!

A few years ago, billionaire Warren Buffett advised  "Investors should remember that excitement and expenses are their enemies. And if they insist on trying to time their participation in equities, they should try to be fearful when others are greedy and greedy only when others are fearful."

California
              United States
              Member #56967
              December 11, 2007
              6 Posts
              Posted: December 11, 2007, 7:38 pm - IP Logged

AN alternative suggestion- Which I have done in graciousness towards a family member.

I bought a car, titled it in my name. Paid cash on the line. Six months later, I transferred ownership/title to my son for one dollar! The government cannot Mandate how much you chose to sell your personal property for. So it was completely legitmate. It wasnt a gift because he paid for it.

This too can hold true for real estate. If I want to sell my land or house for a miniscule amount and transfer title to someone, that is my right. The only tax involved is school, which the persons would have to pay yearly or quarterly, depending ....

As to a Trust fund. Yes one can be created whilst STILL alive. And the recipient can be granted funds or certain priveldges from that trust.

Personally I like the idea of hiring them. Set them up with a matching IRA account. Give them company cars or an estate house they can reside in whilst you are traveling or conducting pleasure trips!

TheGameGirl...you are correct in saying that "the government cannot mandate how much you chose to sell your personal property for."  However the government (i.e. the IRS) dies have a way of not letting you avoid paying the gift tax, it is called fair market value.  See below the IRS position on Gift Taxes.

Gift Taxes

IRS Tax Tip 2007-39

Gifts include money and property, including the use of property without expecting to receive something of equal value in return. If you sell something at less than its value or make an interest-free or reduced-interest loan, you may be making a gift.

Do you really think the IRS is foolish enough to let someone buy a car and or property and have them sell it for a low price to avoid paying Gift Tax?   

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                Member #4877
                May 30, 2004
                4625 Posts
                Posted: December 11, 2007, 10:16 pm - IP Logged

Great question........but,  worded  in a stupid>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> CONTEXXXXXXXXXXX!!!!................................HAhaHAhaHAaaaaaHA

First of all......you will need a G@@D^^^^^^^^^^law firm??????????????????????????????????????????????

Most Megamillion winner's are a "MARK" for most lawyer's & a JOKE^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ (beware FIN's^^^^^^^^^)

too, and they laugh their ass-off if they think they actually HAVE a 

real Megamillion winner in their OFFICE!!!!!!!!!!>>>>>>>>HAHAHA!   

LOL>>>>>>>I am sure you will pay TX an lawyer fee'sssssss

congrat's on winning the JACKPOT>>>>>>>>>megamillion'sssssss

PSYKOMO 

TheGameGrl's avatar - necros
                  Pennsylvania
                  United States
                  Member #17084
                  June 10, 2005
                  3117 Posts
                  Posted: December 12, 2007, 6:24 pm - IP Logged

TheGameGirl...you are correct in saying that "the government cannot mandate how much you chose to sell your personal property for."  However the government (i.e. the IRS) dies have a way of not letting you avoid paying the gift tax, it is called fair market value.  See below the IRS position on Gift Taxes.

Gift Taxes

IRS Tax Tip 2007-39

Gifts include money and property, including the use of property without expecting to receive something of equal value in return. If you sell something at less than its value or make an interest-free or reduced-interest loan, you may be making a gift.

Do you really think the IRS is foolish enough to let someone buy a car and or property and have them sell it for a low price to avoid paying Gift Tax?   

The Government (IRS) doesnt get the title transfer information.

I appreicate your effort to look into the IRS, but the IRS doesnt audit state departments where the records are kept.  What was stated is completely legal. Ask a tax lawyer. I know I did. :)

Signature quote-If I'd agree with you , we'd both be wrong.

Wandering Aimlessly
                    United States
                    Member #25360
                    November 5, 2005
                    4457 Posts
                    Posted: December 12, 2007, 6:34 pm - IP Logged

"I bought a car, titled it in my name. Paid cash on the line. Six months later, I transferred ownership/title to my son for one dollar! The government cannot Mandate how much you chose to sell your personal property for. "  So it was completely legitmate. It wasnt a gift because he paid for it. This too can hold true for real estate. If I want to sell my land or house for a miniscule amount and transfer title to someone, that is my right.

This is totally false.  Yes, it is a gift.  The IRS people aren't blind to this and they know that buying a car or a house and then transferring the title for much less than the appraised value is the same as hiding money to avoid gift tax. If it adds up to more than the allowable lifetime exemption you would be breaking the law. 

I don't know your net worth, but if you currently have over $2 million it would be obvious what you were doing.  If a financial planner told someone to do this for his children and grandchildren to avoid paying gift or estate tax, he would be punished severely for advising someone to commit fraud.

Edit:  I just saw where you said a tax attorney gave you this advice.  Don't use this person when you win the lottery if you want to stay out of jail. Wink Think about it -  why wouldn't every person 75 years old with over $2 million run around and buy real estate and cars for their heirs so they wouldn't have to pay estate tax when they die?  The car is different.  I know someone who became very ill and transferred the title to his girlfriend. That was legal because nobody is going to argue that it's worth over $12,000.   A house is different. 

Hopefully all estate and gift tax will be repealed in a few years anyway.

Wandering Aimlessly
                      United States
                      Member #25360
                      November 5, 2005
                      4457 Posts
                      Posted: December 12, 2007, 6:59 pm - IP Logged

Can I loan friends any amount of money? Then give them a life time to pay it back?

That's a great question, Tinker.  That's why I like the answer csfb gave the best because a good CPA is worth the fee.  As much as I know (or think I know) there's a lot more that I don't know.  Nobody is going to get "caught" by slipping someone $500 when you go to lunch or taking a friend on vacation.  But any dramatic change in one's lifestyle would be noticed.

There are probably a lot of ways to help your friends, like buying yourself a 2nd home and letting them stay in it.  The IRS frowns on this of course, but maybe you can hire them as caretakers.  I've known people who started an LLC and hired their spouses, children, cousins and paid them very well.  All of that is legal, as long a you don't pay a receptionist $200,000 a year.  If you leased your secretary a car, you might need to show the need (i.e, she runs errands for the company, picks up the mail, makes deliveries) and keep records.

You still would have to pay the appropriate business taxes, however.

California
                        United States
                        Member #56967
                        December 11, 2007
                        6 Posts
                        Posted: December 12, 2007, 7:08 pm - IP Logged

The Government (IRS) doesnt get the title transfer information.

I appreicate your effort to look into the IRS, but the IRS doesnt audit state departments where the records are kept.  What was stated is completely legal. Ask a tax lawyer. I know I did. :)

Your right that the IRS doesn't get the title  transfer information.  However should the IRS want to look into the title information and they have a good reason to I'm sure they could get a subpeona and thereby get the information.

As far as your suggestion, it is highly unlikely that the IRS would catch onto this scheme.  However as far as it being legal, don't think so, even if your tax lawyer says so.  My advice to you would be to get a secoond opinion and then a new lawyer! 

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                          Zeta Reticuli Star System
                          United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          9079 Posts
                          Posted: December 12, 2007, 11:48 pm - IP Logged

Think about this - if you take out a safe deposit box a a bank in your name, the IRS can go through that box anytime it wants to. If you form a coprporation, they can't legally go through it. 

Of course, there's all kinds of reasons not to form a corporation (as a private individual) but let's just say if you ever come into a big score, get advice from people who relly know their stuff.

Two things you never want to mess with are the tax people and the SEC.  

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

TexasDreams's avatar - Trek ROMSYM2.gif
                            Houston, Texas
                            United States
                            Member #56457
                            November 19, 2007
                            55 Posts
                            Posted: December 14, 2007, 9:38 pm - IP Logged

This might answer some questions regarding if its legal, its a paper from an attorney who is a specialist in this area, but remember it pertains to Texas law and each state is different, I don't believe it addresses the IRS, I am sorry if its a long post but I am not aware of an attachment link-

TRANSFERS OF PROPERTY

Many asset protection techniques involve an evaluation of the ownership of property

available to satisfy claims. In many circumstances, a debtor's assets available to creditors

will include not only assets owned by the debtor at the date of the claim, but also assets

that have been previously owned by the debtor. The law prohibits transfers in

fraud of creditors. Examples of these laws include the following:

A. Bankruptcy.

If a party declares (or is forced into) bankruptcy, the bankruptcy court may

set aside certain preferential transfers made within 90 days of the filing of

the bankruptcy (or within 1 year of the filing of the bankruptcy for transfers

made to related parties), and "fraudulent" transfers (i.e.. those without

adequate consideration) made within 1 year of filing. Thus, a party

contemplating a transfer of assets must determine whether bankruptcy is likely

in the near future and whether the transfers contemplated might be set aside

by a bankruptcy court. In addition to the preferential and fraudulent transfer rules of

the Bankruptcy Code, a trustee in bankruptcy has all the rights and powers of a

hypothetical state law creditor under the fraudulent transfer laws of the state. Texas

has adopted the Uniform Fraudulent Transfer Act, found at Chapter 24 of the Texas

Business and Commerce Code ("TBCC"). Under this statute, as explained below, a

bankruptcy trustee could look back 4 years (and even further if the transfer is

concealed) in an attempt to avoid fraudulent transfers.

B. "Fraudulent" Transfers.

1. Transfers Resulting in Insolvency.

Under Texas law, transfers made (or obligations incurred) by a debtor

can be set aside by a court, for creditors claims arising prior to the

transfer, if the debtor was insolvent at the time of or as a result of the

transaction. See TBCC § 24.006. "Insolvent" means that the sum of

the debtor's debts exceeds the fair market value of the debtor's

nonexempt assets. See TBCC § 24.003(a). A debtor who is generally

unable to pay his debts as they come due is presumed to be insolvent.

See TBCC § 24.003(b). In order to set aside such a transfer, a

creditor must show either:

a.

The debtor failed to receive a "reasonably equivalent value" for

The debtor failed to receive a "reasonably equivalent value" for

the transfer; or

b. The transfer was to an "insider" of the debtor, made to pay off

a pre-existing debt. See TBCC § 24.006.

2. Intent to Defraud Creditors.

The law also provides that a court can avoid any transfer made (or

obligation incurred) by a debtor with "the actual intent to hinder,

delay or defraud" any creditor whose claim arose within a reasonable

time before
                            or after the transfer. See TBCC § 24.005(a). Thus, even a

transfer that does not render a debtor insolvent can be set aside by a

creditor whose claim arises a reasonable time before or
                            after the

transfer, if the creditor can establish "intent" to defraud. Since a

transferor's "intent" is difficult to prove, Texas law has established eleven

factors (sometimes called "badges of fraud") which courts may consider

in establishing the actual intent of a debtor,

a. The eleven factors set forth by statute [See TBCC §

24.005(b)] are:

(1) Whether the transfer is to an "insider" (family member,

partner or affiliated business);

(2) Whether the debtor retains possession or control of the

transferred property;

(3) Whether the transfer is concealed;

(4) Whether the debtor has been sued or threatened with suit

prior to the transfer;

(5) Whether the transfer is of substantially all of the debtor's

assets;

(6) Whether the debtor leaves the jurisdiction of the court;

(7) Whether the debtor conceals assets or removes them

from the jurisdiction of the court;

(8) Whether the value received by the debtor in exchange for

transferred assets is reasonably equivalent to the value of

the transferred assets;

(9) Whether the debtor is insolvent as a result of, or shortly

after, the transfer;

(10) Whether the transfer occurs shortly before or shortly after

a substantial debt is incurred; and

(11) Whether the debtor transfers essential business assets

to a creditor, who then re-transfers the assets to an

insider of the debtor.

b. The above factors are not exclusive. On the other hand, the

existence of one or more factors does not create a

presumption that a transfer is fraudulent. Rather, the court must

determine the existence of intent based upon all facts and

circumstances of a particular case, with the listed factors to be

used as guidance.

3. Constructive Fraud.

Texas law further provides that a transfer of property for which the

debtor does not receive "reasonably equivalent value" is deemed to be

constructive fraud. See TBCC § 24.006. In such a circumstance, a

creditor whose claim arises a reasonable time before
                            or after the

transfer need not show an actual intent to defraud, if the creditor can

establish that:

a. The debtor intended to incur, or believed he would incur, more

debts than he would be able to pay after giving effect to the

transfer; or

b. The debtor was left with an unreasonably small amount of assets

with respect to the risks associated with the transactions or

business activities in which the debtor is engaged, or about

to become engaged. "Reasonably equivalent value" is

defined in TBCC § 24.004(d) as being a value "within the

range of values" of an arm's-length transaction.

**as stated by:

ESTATE PLANNING TO PRESERVE ASSETS

FIZERBECK

Fizer, Beck, Webster, Bentley & Scroggins,

A few years ago, billionaire Warren Buffett advised  "Investors should remember that excitement and expenses are their enemies. And if they insist on trying to time their participation in equities, they should try to be fearful when others are greedy and greedy only when others are fearful."