Welcome Guest
The time is now 7:28 am
You last visited April 24, 2014, 7:23 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Protection after a huge jackpot lottery win

Topic closed. 33 replies. Last post 6 years ago by wantmoney.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
Member #4121
March 23, 2004
770 Posts
Posted: February 19, 2008, 10:09 pm - IP Logged

How would you protect yourself?

My plan.

1) Tell no one I am a winner.

2) Move to another state or move to another country.

3) Get a good alarm system.

4) Hire body guards.

5) not show off.

6) Hire lawyers and professional advice.

joplin
    United States
    Member #45299
    August 17, 2006
    148 Posts
    Posted: February 19, 2008, 10:25 pm - IP Logged

How would you protect yourself?

My plan.

1) Tell no one I am a winner.

2) Move to another state or move to another country.

3) Get a good alarm system.

4) Hire body guards.

5) not show off.

6) Hire lawyers and professional advice.

I wouldn't want to win if I had to live like that, everything you suggest is based on fear.

United States
      Member #4121
      March 23, 2004
      770 Posts
      Posted: February 19, 2008, 10:39 pm - IP Logged

I wouldn't want to win if I had to live like that, everything you suggest is based on fear.

You just won $230 Million. 

Fear is a great motivator.  Better safe than sorry.  I read lots of sad lottery winner stories.  One must protect oneself. Good luck.

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
        Viva La Chance!
        Rockville, MD.
        United States
        Member #44103
        July 30, 2006
        4717 Posts
        Posted: February 19, 2008, 11:01 pm - IP Logged

Definitely Magnum Trojan or Durex in a pinch.

Go to fullsize imageJust ask Homer.

United States
          Member #17555
          June 22, 2005
          5583 Posts
          Posted: February 19, 2008, 11:01 pm - IP Logged

1. You can't avoid number one. Everyone will know.

2. Moving will not help either. Paparratzies....

3. An alarm system will keep you awake all the time....what a life...geesh !

4. Body gurads can only do so much. You'll have to venture into the world sometime or another. Do you really want a couple of goony goo goos hangin around you're every minute of your life?

5. Good point about not showing off, unfortunately the bodyguards will be a tip off.

6. Proffesional advisors seek fame too, especially with high profile winners. Who's gonna make them cloaked?

United States
            Member #4121
            March 23, 2004
            770 Posts
            Posted: February 19, 2008, 11:23 pm - IP Logged

1. You can't avoid number one. Everyone will know.

2. Moving will not help either. Paparratzies....

3. An alarm system will keep you awake all the time....what a life...geesh !

4. Body gurads can only do so much. You'll have to venture into the world sometime or another. Do you really want a couple of goony goo goos hangin around you're every minute of your life?

5. Good point about not showing off, unfortunately the bodyguards will be a tip off.

6. Proffesional advisors seek fame too, especially with high profile winners. Who's gonna make them cloaked?

so true but little protection is better than none.   

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
              Member #2338
              September 17, 2003
              2063 Posts
              Posted: February 19, 2008, 11:24 pm - IP Logged

It's called a gun. Why more women don't learn how to use them I'll never know.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                Zeta Reticuli Star System
                United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                8768 Posts
                Posted: February 19, 2008, 11:26 pm - IP Logged

The book Infinite Financal Freedom, What to Do Before and After You Win the Lottery, strongly suggests kidnap and ransom insurance.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                  Member #4121
                  March 23, 2004
                  770 Posts
                  Posted: February 19, 2008, 11:45 pm - IP Logged

The book Infinite Financal Freedom, What to Do Before and After You Win the Lottery, strongly suggests kidnap and ransom insurance.

Lol I own that book too.  I agree,  kidnap and ransom insurance is a must.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                    Zeta Reticuli Star System
                    United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    8768 Posts
                    Posted: February 19, 2008, 11:53 pm - IP Logged

Great book, isn't it?

Smile

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                      Member #4121
                      March 23, 2004
                      770 Posts
                      Posted: February 20, 2008, 12:03 am - IP Logged

Great book, isn't it?

Smile

oops my mistake. I own Lottery-Winners' Guide: When It Happens to You (Paperback)

http://www.amazon.com/Lottery-Winners-Guide-When-Happens-You/dp/0976867370/ref=pd_bbs_sr_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1203483509&sr=8-5

Bagent's avatar - avatar 10424.gif
                        Vancouver, WA
                        United States
                        Member #53665
                        July 15, 2007
                        144 Posts
                        Posted: February 20, 2008, 3:58 am - IP Logged

Protection comes in a wide variety of aspects.  While the 6  items listed are considered good and workable to you, they would not work for someone else.  Being in the Security field for 20+ years, my theories on my and my family protection would not work for you. 

1.  As I see it, there is no way other than using a LLC or the like to not let people know you are a winner. 

2.  Some folks have such strong ties to the town they live in, that moving to another state or country would not even be an option for them.  For me, I already plan on having a home in the country that my wife is from, but that is my decision. 

3.  As I said, with my experience in Security, Alarm systems are good to a point.  All systems can be defeated if the person has the knowledge.

4.  Body guards are an option, but the cost and expense of having enough on the payroll and enough to cover you and your family for 24/7/365 will be an expense that will far outweigh the effectiveness of the body guards.  Besides that, would you be willing to entrust your life and the lives of your family to people that you do not know?  For me, the idea of a protective dog far outweighs the option of body guards.  The loyality that you have from the dog will be a better investment.  Besides paying whatever the cost for vet's, food and training would be less than the $100K+ that you would be spending on 4-8 body guards for a year.

5.  Human nature is that if you have the money, you will flaunt it in some way or another.  How much a person shows off the millions they have won will depend on their own makeup.  Most of the posts that I have seen here and on other sites, people talk about fancy cars, big houses, travel and showering family and friends with cash.

6.  This would be my first thing to do.

All in all, this is only my opinion and it may or may not be to the liking of others on the forum.  Hopefully, anyone who wins the lottery will be of a mind-set that will allow them to be open to see what is around them and take standard precautions that they take every day of the week when they hadn't won.

Just my .02 cents

Bagent

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                          Wandering Aimlessly
                          United States
                          Member #25360
                          November 5, 2005
                          4457 Posts
                          Posted: February 20, 2008, 4:52 am - IP Logged

There are plenty of wealthy people who live normal lives.  You need to just live in a private gated community if you're that worried. 

I wouldn't show off too much anyway, but that's just my personal preference.  No matter how much or how little you have, everyone needs to use common sense.

I would definitely move, just because I'd want a change.

United States
                            Member #4121
                            March 23, 2004
                            770 Posts
                            Posted: February 20, 2008, 9:09 am - IP Logged

Protection comes in a wide variety of aspects.  While the 6  items listed are considered good and workable to you, they would not work for someone else.  Being in the Security field for 20+ years, my theories on my and my family protection would not work for you. 

1.  As I see it, there is no way other than using a LLC or the like to not let people know you are a winner. 

2.  Some folks have such strong ties to the town they live in, that moving to another state or country would not even be an option for them.  For me, I already plan on having a home in the country that my wife is from, but that is my decision. 

3.  As I said, with my experience in Security, Alarm systems are good to a point.  All systems can be defeated if the person has the knowledge.

4.  Body guards are an option, but the cost and expense of having enough on the payroll and enough to cover you and your family for 24/7/365 will be an expense that will far outweigh the effectiveness of the body guards.  Besides that, would you be willing to entrust your life and the lives of your family to people that you do not know?  For me, the idea of a protective dog far outweighs the option of body guards.  The loyality that you have from the dog will be a better investment.  Besides paying whatever the cost for vet's, food and training would be less than the $100K+ that you would be spending on 4-8 body guards for a year.

5.  Human nature is that if you have the money, you will flaunt it in some way or another.  How much a person shows off the millions they have won will depend on their own makeup.  Most of the posts that I have seen here and on other sites, people talk about fancy cars, big houses, travel and showering family and friends with cash.

6.  This would be my first thing to do.

All in all, this is only my opinion and it may or may not be to the liking of others on the forum.  Hopefully, anyone who wins the lottery will be of a mind-set that will allow them to be open to see what is around them and take standard precautions that they take every day of the week when they hadn't won.

Just my .02 cents

Bagent

Sadly, New York doesn't allow it. I have to claim the jackpot in person.

How about Alarm systems ADT inside the gated community.  High-rise condo next a police station.

With $270 million one can afford some bodyguards. Anyway in the beginning. Dogs - one have to take care it and if the dog bites someone then  lawsuits are coming.

Bagent's avatar - avatar 10424.gif
                              Vancouver, WA
                              United States
                              Member #53665
                              July 15, 2007
                              144 Posts
                              Posted: February 20, 2008, 10:34 am - IP Logged

JackpotWanna

How about Alarm systems ADT inside the gated community.  High-rise condo next a police station.

ADT is a good alarm company with a history of reliable service to its customers.  But as I said, any alarm system can be defeated if the person knows what needs to be done.

With $270 million one can afford some bodyguards. Anyway in the beginning. Dogs - one have to take care it and if the dog bites someone then  lawsuits are coming.

Yes, with $270 million you could easily afford body guards and that was not the point that I was trying to make.  These people will not be like the Secret Service who protect the President.  These guys/gals will be hired guns who will be with you day and night.  What is to say that one is missed in the screening process and is a bad apple and suddenly you have the chance that greed will take hold and you will end up being kidnapped by your own guards that you hired to protect you from just that.  Seen this happen too many times in the past.  As for the dog, yes you have to care for it but if you have a properly trained animal, the chance of a bite that is not for your defense is extremely rare.  If the dog bites in the defense of it's master, a lawsuit will be less likely to be successful.