Welcome Guest
The time is now 5:45 pm
You last visited September 18, 2014, 5:43 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

List of States Which Allow Anonymous Winners

Topic closed. 49 replies. Last post 6 years ago by river1.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
Member #50124
February 26, 2007
601 Posts
Posted: March 3, 2008, 2:42 pm - IP Logged

I haven't seen such a list and I'm wondering if one has been compiled.

I also wonder if you can go by what's in the FAQ on each website.

I started checking a few states and here's what I found so far.  Please feel free to add states if you wish.

AZ - No (website FAQ)

CO - No (email from CO lottery commission - they did add you can set up a trust to claim)

DC - No (website FAQ)

DE - Yes (website FAQ) 

MT - No (website FAQ)

OK - No (website FAQ)

ThatScaryChick's avatar - AbnSTiA

United States
    Member #56506
    November 21, 2007
    4632 Posts
    Posted: March 3, 2008, 3:02 pm - IP Logged

That's a good idea. Yes Nod

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      9058 Posts
      Posted: March 3, 2008, 11:59 pm - IP Logged

Missouri: (Website FAQ):

If I should win the jackpot, do I have the option of remaining anonymous to the public and the media?Missouri state law requires the Lottery to release your name, cityof residence and the amount of the prize.   

You will also be asked, but are not required, to participate in a newsconference, most likely at the store where you purchased your winningticket. News conferences can also be held at a Lottery office. Thisprovides the media with a single photo opportunity and a chance forthem to ask you a few questions without having each of them contact youat home or at work.

• A. You want to do a news conference. — News conferencesnormally only last about 15 minutes and are held within a couple ofdays after your ticket validates. Your ticket is not consideredvalidated until it passes confidential validation requirements at theLottery's office in Jefferson City, normally within a couple of daysafter you place your claim. Keep in mind that your news conferenceshould be a lot of fun, like weddings and other happy ceremonies.
      • B. You don't want to do a news conference. — It's your decisionwhether or not to participate in a news conference. However, your nameand hometown are considered public information, and they will bereleased to the media. Not only is this information public by law,publishing it is necessary to ensure the integrity of the Lottery'sgames. If players were never provided with actual names, they may notbelieve the games are real or fair. If you choose not to do a newsconference, the media may still attempt to contact you at home or yourplace of employment.

Illinois: Website FAQ):

Can I avoid having my name released if I am a winner?

To assure other players that prizes are paid to winners, the Lottery         makes public the name, home city and amount won. We will not, however,         release the addresses or telephone numbers of winners. Multi-million dollar         winners must participate in a one-time news conference, but we'll always         respect your wishes of privacy as much as possible.

So I guess Missouroi gets a yes and no, and Illinois gets a no.  

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
        Member #2338
        September 17, 2003
        2063 Posts
        Posted: March 4, 2008, 1:17 am - IP Logged

WA - yes

OR - no and can not claim as trust

No one took OR to court over that one yet though.

BC - no but can form trust in your name (i.e.  "dvdiva in trust") 

Bondi Junction
          Australia
          Member #57242
          December 24, 2007
          474 Posts
          Posted: March 4, 2008, 3:20 am - IP Logged

I found this on the NSW Lotteries' website. All state lotteries should have such policies.

NSW Lotteries Values Your Privacy

NSW Lotteries is committed to ensuring that the collection, accuracy, use, disclosure, de-identification and destruction of your details are compliant with the Privacy Act 1988 and subsequent amendments, and the National Principles for the Fair Handling of Personal Information.

rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
            Member #567
            August 14, 2002
            460 Posts
            Posted: March 4, 2008, 11:42 am - IP Logged

You can obtain anonymity in the following states even when claiming the prize in person:

Delaware(PB)

Kansas (PB)

North Dakota (PB)

Maryland (MM)

You can obtain anonymity in the following states by using a trust:

New Hampshire (PB)

Oklahoma (PB)

Ohio (MM)

The only real solution to the problems of winning the lottery is to remain anonymous. 

Otherwise, relatives, friends, and leetches you never knew existed would appear out of nowhere.  Oh my God, I couldn't imagine what it would be like to win $15 million and the whole nation knew that I won.  Believe me, I would definitely  remain anonymous, even if it meant having to travel to a state where I can be anonymous.

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

Britney's avatar - melissa sool.png
              California
              United States
              Member #4471
              April 27, 2004
              1574 Posts
              Posted: March 4, 2008, 11:52 am - IP Logged

California is a big ? since their FAQ says you can NOT remain anonymous, however, the latest winner of the California SuperLotto Plus jackpot was allowed to remain anonymous.

Go figure!

Raven62's avatar - binary
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #17843
                June 28, 2005
                17937 Posts
                Posted: March 4, 2008, 11:57 am - IP Logged

That's a good idea. Yes Nod

Lottery Post should have a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) Page so that we don't have the same Questions being asked over and over and over again.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

rubberbandman's avatar - Spawn Classic.jpg
                  mn
                  United States
                  Member #59040
                  March 4, 2008
                  276 Posts
                  Posted: March 4, 2008, 12:30 pm - IP Logged

most of their faqs do not have an answer to the anonymous question. I tried to list all the states and their answers on this site but i mistakenly typed a new url when i already had multiple pages out so it deleted everything and it took to long so im not goin to do it again, maybe tonight but not now, sorry, kind of irritated right now, all that work is gone and it wasnt easy either.

sorry for the rant but whatever 

chasingadream's avatar - Archangel 01.jpg

United States
                    Member #38687
                    May 3, 2006
                    315 Posts
                    Posted: March 4, 2008, 12:54 pm - IP Logged

South Carolina (PB) is a yes....they won't release any info

Virginia (MM) is a no.....they jackpot has to be claimed in the name of a person only. Some guy won a few million ?some? years ago and claimed in the name of a LLC and the "big wigs" were very upset and immediatly got together and changed the law.

Georgia (MM) will allow you to claim in the name of a LLC.

Texas (MM) will allow trusts & LLC to protect privacy but their version of minimum publicity is probably sufficient enough.

Oklahoma (PB) will allow trust

Oogle  waiting patiently for my jackpot

United States
                      Member #50124
                      February 26, 2007
                      601 Posts
                      Posted: March 4, 2008, 4:59 pm - IP Logged

California is a big ? since their FAQ says you can NOT remain anonymous, however, the latest winner of the California SuperLotto Plus jackpot was allowed to remain anonymous.

Go figure!

I thought I saw a post to that effect.  Would someone in CA, NV, OR or AZ please call them (they don't have an email addy or online contact form that I can find, and no toll-free number from Idaho) and ask?

800-568-8379

United States
                        Member #50124
                        February 26, 2007
                        601 Posts
                        Posted: March 4, 2008, 7:21 pm - IP Logged

Good idea to post the FAQ/email for backup CoinToss.

Colorado - No but allows trusts - email

Dear Lilly,
                        The only way to really remain anonymous is to set up a trust to claim your
                        prize. State law requires us to release the name of our
                        Jackpot winners, the amount of their prize and where the ticket was sold on our
                        Web site and to make that information available if we ever get an open
                        records request. If you claim as a trust, the only the trust's name will appear on the site.
                        Hope that helps.
                        Colorado Lottery Communications

- - - -

Indiana - No but allows trusts - email
                        Hi Lilly,
                        Thank you for your recent question regarding claiming a prize. Yes, you may claim your prize through a blind trust to a certain point.
                        • The paperwork will identify the Trust Only.
                        • You must provide us a copy of the Trust papers.
                        • You must provide us with a copy of the EIN verification papers from the IRS.
                        • You must also provide us with a copy of each individuals SSN # and government issued photo id so that we can check for money owed to a State Agency.
                        Thank you,
                        Player Support

United States
                          Member #50124
                          February 26, 2007
                          601 Posts
                          Posted: March 4, 2008, 7:38 pm - IP Logged

Arizona - No (website FAQ)

Q:If I win the jackpot, do I have the option of remaining anonymous?A:No. The Arizona Lottery is required to release, upon request, the winner’s name, city of residence, game, and amount won. A press release will be sent out to the media when a winner has collected the prize. However, Arizona Lottery jackpot winners are given the option of participating in or declining a press conference and/or publicity. We believe a press conference enhances the winning experience, and it usually eliminates receiving multiple calls from the media.

- - -

Delaware - Yes (website FAQ)

If I win, am I allowed to remain anonymous?
                          Yes, Delaware State law allows all Delaware Lottery winners to remain anonymous.

- - - -

Montana - No (website FAQ)

17. Is it possible to win the lottery and remain anonymous?

No. In Montana, by law, your name, the amount won, and the town you're from is public information. It is not possible to win the Lottery in Montana and remain anonymous.

- - - -

Oklahoma - No (website FAQ)

If I should win a large top prize, do I have the option of remaining anonymous as far as the public and media are concerned?
                          In accordance with the Oklahoma Open Records Act and the Oklahoma Education Lottery Act, the name of any individual, corporation, partnership, unincorporated association, limited liability company, or other legal entity, and their city of residence will be made public. It is important for the public to know the lottery is run honestly. This way the public can be reassured that the prize was won by a real person.

chasingadream's avatar - Archangel 01.jpg

United States
                            Member #38687
                            May 3, 2006
                            315 Posts
                            Posted: March 4, 2008, 8:07 pm - IP Logged

Oklahoma - No (website FAQ)

If I should win a large top prize, do I have the option of remaining anonymous as far as the public and media are concerned?
                            In accordance with the Oklahoma Open Records Act and the Oklahoma Education Lottery Act, the name of any individual, corporation, partnership, unincorporated association, limited liability company, or other legal entity, and their city of residence will be made public. It is important for the public to know the lottery is run honestly. This way the public can be reassured that the prize was won by a real person.

So in essence this means that all one would have to do is claim the jackpot in the name of a corporation, partnership, unicorporated association, Limited Liability Company or other legal entity......buecause they won't release YOUR NAME.....the lottery corp would only release the name of a corporation, partnership, unicorporated Association, Limited Liability Company or other legal entity.

In some states there are ways of getting around the whole "you can't claim anonymous" thingy. Wink

Oogle  waiting patiently for my jackpot

Marquette, MI
                              United States
                              Member #20541
                              August 20, 2005
                              484 Posts
                              Posted: March 4, 2008, 10:00 pm - IP Logged

MI-Yes Any Prize over $10,000 except for Mega Mill prizes