Welcome Guest
The time is now 4:45 am
You last visited October 21, 2014, 4:39 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

When do you need to get a lawyer?

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 7 years ago by bashley572.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Emperor's avatar - Aug11 01.jpg

United States
Member #59302
March 12, 2008
3 Posts
Posted: March 12, 2008, 9:55 am - IP Logged

Everytime someone wins a huge Powerball or Mega Millions jackpot, the first thing they are told to do is "contact a lawyer". This is probably a stupid question, but why exactly do you need a lawyer? What is there that a lawyer will do for you that can't be handled in the lottery office when you go to claim you multi-million dollar prize? I've always been curious on this one.

Second, what is the prize cutoff for when you need to contact a lawyer and when you can just take care of it by yourself? For example, let's say I'm lucky enough to win a $200,000 Powerball prize. Do I need a lawyer to help me claim that, or could I just waltz into the lottery office and do it myself? 

four4me's avatar - gate1
    MD
    United States
    Member #1701
    June 18, 2003
    7879 Posts
    Posted: March 12, 2008, 11:45 am - IP Logged

Everytime someone wins a huge Powerball or Mega Millions jackpot, the first thing they are told to do is "contact a lawyer". This is probably a stupid question, but why exactly do you need a lawyer? What is there that a lawyer will do for you that can't be handled in the lottery office when you go to claim you multi-million dollar prize? I've always been curious on this one.

Second, what is the prize cutoff for when you need to contact a lawyer and when you can just take care of it by yourself? For example, let's say I'm lucky enough to win a $200,000 Powerball prize. Do I need a lawyer to help me claim that, or could I just waltz into the lottery office and do it myself? 

Depending or where you live you might need a lawyer to form a trust so you can collect your winnings anomalously.  Of course if you already have the paper work and know how to fill out the paperwork. Then there's no need for a lawyer. A lawyer can also advise you of the many things you might want to do before and after you claim your prize.

If you win 200,000 grand no big deal. Claim it yourself. If it's going to cause you a hardship to claim it yourself. Because they might want to put your name, face and other personal information on their website.  You might want to think about anonymity. Lawyers have that paperwork.  

The lottery cant advise you in any way other than to contact a lawyer they do not want to be held liable if you should suffer some misfortune, calamity, or other occurrence. Because they offered you advise and later on you decided to sue them if things didn't work out as planned.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
      tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
      Member #5344
      June 30, 2004
      23622 Posts
      Posted: March 12, 2008, 12:26 pm - IP Logged

To get rid of some that loot after you collect.     

Seriously I haven't a clue.  However, I would make sure the lawyer was a good one if I hired him/her.

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

bashley572's avatar - starwars14
        West Side of Sunny Florida
        United States
        Member #55048
        September 8, 2007
        3371 Posts
        Posted: March 12, 2008, 12:50 pm - IP Logged

To get rid of some that loot after you collect.     

Seriously I haven't a clue.  However, I would make sure the lawyer was a good one if I hired him/her.

Good luck finding a 'Good one'  I have worked with many different attorneys for over 10 years and even after thinking one is good, all of a sudden they do something that you would never expect!!! Out of about 10 that I have worked with through my job, I would only TRUST one.  But I would have to ask him to leave the firm he is working for (its a small one) as I really can't trust the guy he works for.  But at the same time I understand WHY attorney's are that way.  There JOB requires them to think that they are ALWAYS "right" so they can 'win the case'

Money won is twice as good as money earned!

NY
          United States
          Member #23835
          October 16, 2005
          2838 Posts
          Posted: March 12, 2008, 1:34 pm - IP Logged

This is a bit like asking when you need a lawyer if you're arrested. Even if you're innocent, unless the charges are very minor (or you aren't worried about the consequences) you need a lawyer as soon as you're arrested.

Unless you've already taken the necessary steps to protect yourself, your estate, and your heirs, when you need a lawyer is the same. You need a lawyer the instant you have enough money, or are entitled to the money, that it's worth some effort to protect it. Of course you won't know until the drawing makes it the winner, but the moment you buy the winning ticket you're at risk of losing any of the money you will win*.

The threshold for needing a lawyer is a bit more subjective, and will depend on other circumstances, but here are a couple of ideas. As soon as your (potential) estate exceeds what can pass to your heirs without the government taking a cut you should be considering how to minimize their share. Plenty of people don't even have wills, nevermind an actual estate plan. Suppose you don't have a will yet, and win the lottery in a state that figures people without wills want the state to get a share? How much liability insurance do you have? Even if you haven't won the lottery, the answer for most people is not enough.  While you don't need a lawyer to help you buy insurance, most people need somebody (other than their agent) to tell them they don't have enough insurance. Unlike others who can tell you in general terms that you're under-insured, a lawyer can advise you about your realistic liability, and help you minimize that liability. For 200k, you just need a will and good liability insurance. For a jackpot most people will need a lot more advice.

* Actually you can be at risk long before even buying the ticket. Adults generally have 3 years to file a lawsuit, and minors have 3 years from the day they become an adult. If you hit a 5 year old with your car later today and win the lottery in 15 years you could theoretically lose it all to the kid you hit. 

ThatScaryChick's avatar - AbnSTiA

United States
            Member #56506
            November 21, 2007
            4657 Posts
            Posted: March 12, 2008, 2:18 pm - IP Logged

I believe there have been many people who have claimed jackpots big and small without a lawyer and are doing fine. But me personally, If I won something in the millions I would probably hire won.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
              Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4458 Posts
              Posted: March 12, 2008, 2:43 pm - IP Logged

Good luck finding a 'Good one'  I have worked with many different attorneys for over 10 years and even after thinking one is good, all of a sudden they do something that you would never expect!!! Out of about 10 that I have worked with through my job, I would only TRUST one.  But I would have to ask him to leave the firm he is working for (its a small one) as I really can't trust the guy he works for.  But at the same time I understand WHY attorney's are that way.  There JOB requires them to think that they are ALWAYS "right" so they can 'win the case'

I must have met a few of them, Bashley!  I've gotten really terrible advice from attorneys, but not as bad as the advice I got from financial advisors. If I won a lot of money, I would search for a good estate attorney. 

Regarding the OP, hiring an attorney is a personal choice, but IMO you don't need to win the lottery to hire an attorney. You can complete your own will, but they're not always valid (depends on the state) and an attorney can usually suggest ways to protect your assets so your family won't need to go to probate court to claim them.  Unfortunately, lawyers are expensive. 

You don't need to hire an attorney, but suddenly everyone knows you have money and you never know who will suddenly "slip" down your front steps.

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                Member #13130
                March 30, 2005
                2171 Posts
                Posted: March 12, 2008, 4:10 pm - IP Logged

You hire one because the dirtbags coming after your newly realized wealth will hire one. He's your guard dog on paper.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
                  Member #5344
                  June 30, 2004
                  23622 Posts
                  Posted: March 12, 2008, 6:52 pm - IP Logged

You hire one because the dirtbags coming after your newly realized wealth will hire one. He's your guard dog on paper.

Why allow anyone to know if you have a lawyer?

Unless they need to know because they are looking for a way to sue you.

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                    Member #13130
                    March 30, 2005
                    2171 Posts
                    Posted: March 12, 2008, 10:39 pm - IP Logged

You don't have to let random people know. "On paper" simply means "in legal matters".
                    One lawyer with a briefcase can steal more than 1,000 guys with guns. 

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                    Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

TexasDreams's avatar - Trek ROMSYM2.gif
                      Houston, Texas
                      United States
                      Member #56457
                      November 19, 2007
                      55 Posts
                      Posted: March 13, 2008, 11:30 am - IP Logged

I think it depends on the individual's circumstances. Many people have wealth from either a wining lotto ticket or years of hard work. Regardless, if you have a sizable financial holding either from a winning lotto ticket or you just have an average amount in a Roth IRA or 401k, you need a means to protect it from individuals who may prey (ie frivolous lawsuits) on your good holdings. A person can use the "do it yourself" forms from the local department store or download them from online websites, however, if you have the sizable holdings a winning lotto ticket can bring, you need more knowledge on how to legally protect your new found assets. A lawyer should have that knowledge.  A good lawyer should be able to to organize your assets protection around three key areas: 1) Lawsuits, 2) Income Taxes, and 3) Estate and Retirement Planning. (Childers 2008)  

A few years ago, billionaire Warren Buffett advised  "Investors should remember that excitement and expenses are their enemies. And if they insist on trying to time their participation in equities, they should try to be fearful when others are greedy and greedy only when others are fearful."

bashley572's avatar - starwars14
                        West Side of Sunny Florida
                        United States
                        Member #55048
                        September 8, 2007
                        3371 Posts
                        Posted: March 13, 2008, 11:40 am - IP Logged

You don't have to let random people know. "On paper" simply means "in legal matters".
                        One lawyer with a briefcase can steal more than 1,000 guys with guns. 

I Agree!

That is a really good point. Once you have money you may find alot of people that didn't bother to go after you (sue you) for many things, now will.  But again it also goes to my point of finding one you trust.  Anyone see Michael Clayton ??? Did you see how the attorneys were only interested in BILLABLE HOURS??  Once you have one that you can 'trust' you should be able to feel ok about not being 'taken' on billable hours.

Money won is twice as good as money earned!