Welcome Guest
The time is now 11:59 am
You last visited April 18, 2014, 11:56 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Old People Always Win

Topic closed. 37 replies. Last post 6 years ago by DC81.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Pittsburgh, PA
United States
Member #58600
February 21, 2008
43 Posts
Posted: May 7, 2008, 4:47 am - IP Logged

I know a majority of the players are older, but come on, I'd like to see a young buck hit the big one.  I recall that girl in her early 20's hit huge about 5 years ago.  She was from Georgia.  I wonder what ever happend to her.  I think she split mega millions 4 ways and ended up with something like 40mil.  Its always them old people, YAWN.

DC81's avatar - batman39
    MI
    United States
    Member #54830
    August 31, 2007
    969 Posts
    Posted: May 7, 2008, 5:09 am - IP Logged

How young? I'm certainly not "old" yet being in my mid-20s... I think it's because most lottery players tend to be older and with the odds being so bad you could play from when you were 18 and play for 60 years, til the day you died and still not won anything. Brad Duke was 33 when he won apparently, not that young but he wasn't nearing retirement either, he seems to be doing well. If I win, I'd much rather do so now than in 35 years, if I'm still around.

Only thing is when I win, there isn't going to be a story about me or much info period if I can help it. Only problem is that my luck absolutely sucks, if I were to win it'd probably be the day before the end of the world.

You can't predict random.

jackpotismine's avatar - kanji for_peace.jpg
      Kunming
      China
      Member #57910
      January 23, 2008
      3315 Posts
      Posted: May 7, 2008, 6:18 am - IP Logged

How young? I'm certainly not "old" yet being in my mid-20s... I think it's because most lottery players tend to be older and with the odds being so bad you could play from when you were 18 and play for 60 years, til the day you died and still not won anything. Brad Duke was 33 when he won apparently, not that young but he wasn't nearing retirement either, he seems to be doing well. If I win, I'd much rather do so now than in 35 years, if I'm still around.

Only thing is when I win, there isn't going to be a story about me or much info period if I can help it. Only problem is that my luck absolutely sucks, if I were to win it'd probably be the day before the end of the world.

"Old" is relative isn't it? I agree with you. Alot of people think when a "old" person hits the big one, it just happen or when a person becomes "famous" it just happened over night. In most cases it doesn't happen over night, takes years and years and before you know it you have pass your 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's,60's etc... At my age (49) I feel I'm better prepare to win then if I was 20 or 30 IMHO. You are only as young as you feel and think. GOOD LUCK TO ALL!

G15=----3-6-9-10-13-16-19-20-23-26-29-30-33-36-39 

G8=-----12-15-18-21-24-27-28-37 

G16=-- -1-2-4-5-7-8-11-14-17-22-25-31-32-34-35-38

China's Pick 3 results. Results are in decending order. Click here

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
        Wisconsin
        United States
        Member #1303
        March 27, 2003
        1508 Posts
        Posted: May 7, 2008, 7:12 am - IP Logged

I know a majority of the players are older, but come on, I'd like to see a young buck hit the big one.  I recall that girl in her early 20's hit huge about 5 years ago.  She was from Georgia.  I wonder what ever happend to her.  I think she split mega millions 4 ways and ended up with something like 40mil.  Its always them old people, YAWN.

At least in the stores, I don't see that many "young" people buying tickets.  You don't buy tickets, you're guaranteed that you won't win.

Young people are probably too busy with other things that they feel are more important to them. Plus when you're young you tend to think you have plenty of time to get rich.  For older people, the lottery can become a hobby. Doesn't surprise me that young people don't win the jack pots that often.  Makes sense.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
          Member #5344
          June 30, 2004
          23622 Posts
          Posted: May 7, 2008, 7:28 am - IP Logged

At least in the stores, I don't see that many "young" people buying tickets.  You don't buy tickets, you're guaranteed that you won't win.

Young people are probably too busy with other things that they feel are more important to them. Plus when you're young you tend to think you have plenty of time to get rich.  For older people, the lottery can become a hobby. Doesn't surprise me that young people don't win the jack pots that often.  Makes sense.

You are exactly right there.   I sold lotto tickets and the jackpots were what the older people bought.  The younger people would scratch or not play anything.

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

jackpotismine's avatar - kanji for_peace.jpg
            Kunming
            China
            Member #57910
            January 23, 2008
            3315 Posts
            Posted: May 7, 2008, 7:29 am - IP Logged

I Agree!

G15=----3-6-9-10-13-16-19-20-23-26-29-30-33-36-39 

G8=-----12-15-18-21-24-27-28-37 

G16=-- -1-2-4-5-7-8-11-14-17-22-25-31-32-34-35-38

China's Pick 3 results. Results are in decending order. Click here

lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
              CA
              United States
              Member #57222
              December 23, 2007
              587 Posts
              Posted: May 7, 2008, 10:40 am - IP Logged

You are exactly right there.   I sold lotto tickets and the jackpots were what the older people bought.  The younger people would scratch or not play anything.

I totally agree,

It seems that older people win because they play more.  Younger people still feel that there's time to make their fortune.  Older peole MAY feel like its their only hope.(IMO)

I also heard the arguement that the lottery is geared towards lower income  neighborhoods.  Well, my assumption is if you're rich or "well off", or even comfortable in the financial situation then you don't need to play the lottery. 

I even noticed that Los Angeles County wins the majority of the jackpots.  But I Googled the demographics,  LA county has 10 million people!  The next closest is about 4 million for San Diego, then it drops down to populations of around 1 million.  So I felt better, of course LA county would win, there are far more people playing.

Since I only play a stable set of numbers, I guess it doesnt matter where i play (still not sure about that).  But since I still dont fully trust the CA State lottery,  I try to follow the pattern of WHERE the winners were and play in the closest counties or those specific stores if I can get to them. Certain counties have NEVER won, so I stay clear of those.

You Gotta Find Me First!

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                Member #41383
                June 16, 2006
                1969 Posts
                Posted: May 7, 2008, 1:28 pm - IP Logged

Buying a lottery ticket requires a person to keep track of that ticket, and then check it LATER, something most young people don't want to do or are incapable of doing.

Scratch-offs offer instant gratification - something young people expect.

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif
                  Miss Kitty

United States
                  Member #14
                  November 9, 2001
                  26974 Posts
                  Posted: May 7, 2008, 2:07 pm - IP Logged

Shame on us "senior" citizens for winning.   

love to nibble those micey feet.

Raven62's avatar - binary
                    New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #17843
                    June 28, 2005
                    17936 Posts
                    Posted: May 7, 2008, 2:30 pm - IP Logged

ROFL

Party

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                      Member #4877
                      May 30, 2004
                      4481 Posts
                      Posted: May 7, 2008, 2:48 pm - IP Logged

DancePartyDancePartyDanceParty
                      But>&>there is a BUTT 2D??

Do $ENIOR'$$$$$$ really like MONEY 2222222222222222222?????

LOL

PSYKOMO

Kentucky
                        United States
                        Member #32652
                        February 14, 2006
                        5042 Posts
                        Posted: May 7, 2008, 3:47 pm - IP Logged

You seem to know the probabilities; if the majority of players are older, the older players should win the win the majority of jackpots. How do those probabilities improve odds for the players in that demographics?

Do you really believe the odds favor a 66 year-old winning the jackpot after they and a 22 year-old both buy $5 worth of QPs?

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif
                          Miss Kitty

United States
                          Member #14
                          November 9, 2001
                          26974 Posts
                          Posted: May 7, 2008, 3:51 pm - IP Logged

DancePartyDancePartyDanceParty
                          But>&>there is a BUTT 2D??

Do $ENIOR'$$$$$$ really like MONEY 2222222222222222222?????

LOL

PSYKOMO

We "seniors" have to like $$$.  Our children still love it and want it.

Belly Laugh 

love to nibble those micey feet.

Kentucky
                            United States
                            Member #32652
                            February 14, 2006
                            5042 Posts
                            Posted: May 7, 2008, 3:53 pm - IP Logged

It's called jackpot envy and apparently their elders never taught them how to be a good loser.

ROFL 

Honduras
                              Member #20982
                              August 29, 2005
                              4715 Posts
                              Posted: May 7, 2008, 4:06 pm - IP Logged

That's because young people never play Powerball/MegaMillions...The times i've play lottery I'VE NEVER SEEN A YOUNG person, playing lottery, NEVER...I am talking someone YOung that's 18-25....

I don't know why is this, but most of the people i've seen playing the lottery are older people...

Young people are worried about college and getting a job...