Welcome Guest
The time is now 3:01 am
You last visited October 31, 2014, 2:49 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Does God pick the winners

Topic closed. 59 replies. Last post 6 years ago by RJOh.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
joplin
United States
Member #45299
August 17, 2006
150 Posts
Posted: June 15, 2008, 1:38 pm - IP Logged

So many times when you read of lottery winners, they indicate that God choose them, and that he must of had a plan for them, what do you think.  Does prayer help, or is it something that God, lets the numbers play at random and if you win you win.  Are is it that some winners are more worthy?

byblos4744's avatar - lady narrisa.png
    Kentucky
    United States
    Member #58204
    February 5, 2008
    29 Posts
    Posted: June 15, 2008, 1:48 pm - IP Logged

So many times when you read of lottery winners, they indicate that God choose them, and that he must of had a plan for them, what do you think.  Does prayer help, or is it something that God, lets the numbers play at random and if you win you win.  Are is it that some winners are more worthy?

Roll GSc5

I believe we are all winners if you have the Lord as your savior. Ultimately we will all have paradise if we follow him.  Yes it would be nice to have the money on this earth to make life easier, but our real riches are in following him.

Have a blessed day

Entertaiment Capital
      United States
      Member #37800
      April 19, 2006
      302 Posts
      Posted: June 15, 2008, 2:11 pm - IP Logged

If god really chooses the winners, I want to kill that god.

EZMoney's avatar - weedss04lx1

United States
        Member #415
        June 22, 2002
        418 Posts
        Posted: June 15, 2008, 2:12 pm - IP Logged

I dont believe God chooses the winners.  If I believed He did, I wouldnt be playing. 

four4me's avatar - gate1
          MD
          United States
          Member #1701
          June 18, 2003
          7885 Posts
          Posted: June 15, 2008, 2:24 pm - IP Logged

You can read anything into it you want god, fate, destiny, disillusionment or whatever.

The simple fact is if you have the winning ticket your a winner.

More winners have probably bought tickets and said i'll never win with these numbers and won!. --- than people who said these numbers are the winning numbers and lost..

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
            RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            17949 Posts
            Posted: June 15, 2008, 2:27 pm - IP Logged

It would be easy to prove if religious people would confess they play the lotteries when they didn't win, but the only times I hear/read about God having a plan is after they win.  Maybe God have a plan for the losers too, but they're not interested in talking about it.

* you don't need more tickets, just the right ticket * 
            * your best chance at winning a lottery jackpot is to buy a ticket * 
                 Wink 

ThatScaryChick's avatar - AbnSTiA

United States
              Member #56506
              November 21, 2007
              4663 Posts
              Posted: June 15, 2008, 2:32 pm - IP Logged

I don't think God chooses who wins or loses the lottery. I think luck and picking the right numbers is what determines who wins.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                Wandering Aimlessly
                United States
                Member #25360
                November 5, 2005
                4458 Posts
                Posted: June 15, 2008, 3:33 pm - IP Logged

This subject is too profound to be discussed in a thread.   If someone answers NO that means God isn't omnipresent and omnipotent, since He is supposed to be everywhere.  If someone answers YES that means God is telling you that it's okay to gamble and that you were chosen because you're more important and worthier than the millions of others who want to win just as badly.  It's a lose-lose discussion. 

hearsetrax's avatar - 78638c467ef281febf24383e126f74b6

United States
                  Member #52345
                  May 21, 2007
                  1890 Posts
                  Posted: June 15, 2008, 3:40 pm - IP Logged

This subject is too profound to be discussed in a thread.   If someone answers NO that means God isn't omnipresent and omnipotent, since He is supposed to be everywhere.  If someone answers YES that means God is telling you that it's okay to gamble and that you were chosen because you're more important and worthier than the millions of others who want to win just as badly.  It's a lose-lose discussion. 

I Agree!

Crazy personally I tink certain types of religious zealots ought to be strung up by thar toes and beaten with thar own books of religion

mylollipop's avatar - Trek STLOGO6.png

United States
                    Member #24380
                    October 21, 2005
                    623 Posts
                    Posted: June 15, 2008, 3:44 pm - IP Logged

Roll GSc5

I believe we are all winners if you have the Lord as your savior. Ultimately we will all have paradise if we follow him.  Yes it would be nice to have the money on this earth to make life easier, but our real riches are in following him.

Have a blessed day

Well said,  Blue Angeland I am still awaiting my turn.  I believe it is coming.  I have asked for it, not just for my own desires, but to be able to put it where I know it will help the masses.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                      Zeta Reticuli Star System
                      United States
                      Member #30470
                      January 17, 2006
                      9124 Posts
                      Posted: June 15, 2008, 5:03 pm - IP Logged

This is kind of like asking if God cares about the outcome of a football game. The answer is of course not - unless Notre Dame Lep is playig SMU or BYU!

I think for the most part the answer is no, but I believe God does indeed have a sense of humor, so it wouldn't surprise me at all that God himself lets some people hit because they know they won't be able to handle it - then He and the angels get some entertainment.

"God is a comedian playing to an audience that is afraid to laugh"

Voltaire

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - AbnSTiA

United States
                        Member #56506
                        November 21, 2007
                        4663 Posts
                        Posted: June 15, 2008, 7:04 pm - IP Logged

I agree with you, but when I said no it meant that he doesn't allow certain people to win. I am sure he knows the numbers of all the drawings since he is all knowing, but imo, I don't think God goes out of his way to let some people win over others. But then, I don't know what God thinks so who really knows! shrug

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
                          Member #9517
                          December 10, 2004
                          1018 Posts
                          Posted: June 15, 2008, 10:00 pm - IP Logged

Being the atheist on this board I'll have to say NO!

United States
                            Member #17555
                            June 22, 2005
                            5583 Posts
                            Posted: June 15, 2008, 10:40 pm - IP Logged

Let me get this straight.

One third of the population of earth was wiped out during the bubonic plague.

Almost 60 million people died in WWII.

20,000 children die from hunger and disease, everyday in Africa.

But he's there when you win a JP.

Hmmmmm

Crazy

Sandra Dee's avatar - dandy
                              Bayonne
                              United States
                              Member #61147
                              May 13, 2008
                              129 Posts
                              Posted: June 16, 2008, 11:19 am - IP Logged

Does God pick the winners? <-- I hope not - we have this hate/love relationship going and with our current standing, i aint gonna win sh*t for a long while! .. but can't help but to think of the young man that recently won that went on to praise God and say that he heard the 'voice' telling him the numbers to play - then he proceeded to thank jesus/god the chrisitian works!  - then i remember an atheist that won and said it was all him - so this one, i'm going to have to say the stars and moon and sun are aligned with venus on your astrological sphere ... basically, i belive LUCK .. that's all

Goof