Welcome Guest
The time is now 10:23 pm
You last visited October 1, 2014, 10:19 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Tips for winning

Topic closed. 31 replies. Last post 6 years ago by PaPlayer412.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
soothsayer's avatar - Soothsayer jpg?
SC
United States
Member #56656
November 28, 2007
508 Posts
Posted: August 3, 2008, 11:50 am - IP Logged

Here are some tips / strategies to use when playing scratch-off tickets: 1) Do your homework,check for any information about specific games. This means going to lottery website( if available ) or contacting them directly. When gathering info keep in mind such things as odds,prizes,etc. For example,hypothetically only,I would go to lottery website to check out a new ticket just made available this week.I would find the link which gives all "odds" for this particular ticket.Ok,here it is,hmmm... $10 dollar ticket...Total payout $25 million...payout as percentage of sales 77.1%...top prize $1 million...# of top prizes ( 5 )...next best winners $100K...# available (15 )...next best $50K...# available (50)...all the way down the list. Ok now what? What are the odds of buying those tickets...hmmm...it says top prize odds are 1:1,234,567...needle in a haystack...well how about lesser prizes...ok,I see that there are 12,000 $500 winners...sound like a lot?...hmmm....there are 6 million tickets printed...odds of getting a $500 winner 1:6789...better,but still a longshot...$100 winners?...$50 winners?..etc. Ok...I know that this ticket has 30 to a roll. Now I know that using prize payout percentage of 77.1% the payout on this roll averages just over $230...but all rolls aren't the same. Some may payout higher, some much less. Ok...what about a $500 winner in this roll? 1:50?...$100 winner in this roll? 1:3?...etc...$50 winner 1:1...So I know that there is a $50 winner in the roll, but where ? This is where you must do your "fieldwork". By that I mean you must track what is happening in the field. Do this at your ticket retailer. Ask sales clerks or other players about recent winners, most will be glad to tell you about their winners. Had any big winners today ?...Yeah, we had a $100 dollar winner early this morning, but not much since...most have been $10 or $15...Sometimes they may say...Yeah, we had a $500 winner or a $1000 or more. The point is to find out as much as possible about what is happening here and now. If a clerk or player tells you about a winner just bought, take that info into account. Ok...here are some more of my stategies...1) NEVER be a "vulture",politely asking about winners and losers is not the same as lurking in the shadows waiting to swoop in on someone's misfortune. If a player is concentrating on a particular roll, play a different one. They will not help you later if you jump in and grab that big winner. 2) Look at all info on tickets...i.e...serial #...ticket #...keep track of winning ticket #'s...i.e...ticket # 9 may produce a lot of winners in some games but few in others. Serial #s with certain digits are the same. 3) Avoid "new" games for the first few days or weeks. Typically lotteries will try to make a profit in these times by not issueing many big winners. After a while they may release more to stimulate interest. You will know when this happens by all the excitement from those big winners. This is the time to play these games. They will last for a few days or weeks until it peaks and then the lottery will go back into it's "profit" mode. 4) Know your limits. Do not spend more than you can afford to lose. It takes money to make money, but don't scratch your way into a pit. 5) Location,location,location...Lotteries like retailers that sell a lot of tickets. They also like to "entice" players from border states. You will find more big winners in these locations. 6) Avoid games that have "Second chance" or other promotions. These games will not have very good odds for winning big, but good odds to get you to mail in that losing ticket. If you want to enter these drawings, get some tickets from the wastebasket. A lot cheaper than buying them. 7) When buying one ticket, if it is a winner for more than face value, DO NOT buy the next ticket. Chances are very good it will be a loser. Try a different roll instead. Breakeven tickets may lead to another winner. Usually 2 or 3 consecutive winners will bring about the same number of losers. 8) Play games that have the highest top prize for the ticket price...i.e...if there are 4 games with a ticket price of $5 and the top prizes are 75K or 100K, play the one with top prize of 100K. The winners are bigger but slightly fewer. 9) Give it a rest. You can't win all the time. Sometimes you have to take a break. The sun will always set when you have had it smiling on you all day, and will rise for you after you have endured a dark night. Good Luck.

Let the good times roll...

Instyle's avatar - Lottery-044.jpg

United States
    Member #55821
    October 21, 2007
    160 Posts
    Posted: August 11, 2008, 11:25 am - IP Logged

Hey Sayer,  Those are good strategies and I use the all.  Here's a few more that I've learned in playing scratch-offs.   Im in Ga, so that may make a difference if some of these do not make sense to you.

1.) never buy scratch-offs on the weekend.  When people get paid on Friday's that all they do, hit the stores and buy scratch-offs. Some stand there and scrtach in the store until they have scratch off all winning tickets, then they move on to another store.

2.  My minium is $5.00 tickets, no less, these people I spoke of above concentrate on $1 to $2 tickets, somtimes $3 but usually no higher. 

3.) by more than one ticket.  Give yourself a chance to win.  lately, I've learned the following,

With $10 tickets, at least by 2, $5 tickets, buy 3.  I've found that if you purchse a ticket during the week, purchase an unpopular ticket and buy more than one chances are you will get a winnter. 

4.) Don't forget to buy the unpopular ticket.  I've found in my area people cannot stand the $5 bingo and $3 cash word.   They don't have the patience to scratch off all  those numbers to see if they win.  That's why morst of the top winning tickets in those two games are still available, No body likes them and very few retailers carry them.     

If all the lottery games I  play, I have more consisent wins with scratch-offs,  usuing our strategies.  If you have any more share, I will do the same.   

Take care

SC
      United States
      Member #56656
      November 28, 2007
      508 Posts
      Posted: August 11, 2008, 8:37 pm - IP Logged

Hey Sayer,  Those are good strategies and I use the all.  Here's a few more that I've learned in playing scratch-offs.   Im in Ga, so that may make a difference if some of these do not make sense to you.

1.) never buy scratch-offs on the weekend.  When people get paid on Friday's that all they do, hit the stores and buy scratch-offs. Some stand there and scrtach in the store until they have scratch off all winning tickets, then they move on to another store.

2.  My minium is $5.00 tickets, no less, these people I spoke of above concentrate on $1 to $2 tickets, somtimes $3 but usually no higher. 

3.) by more than one ticket.  Give yourself a chance to win.  lately, I've learned the following,

With $10 tickets, at least by 2, $5 tickets, buy 3.  I've found that if you purchse a ticket during the week, purchase an unpopular ticket and buy more than one chances are you will get a winnter. 

4.) Don't forget to buy the unpopular ticket.  I've found in my area people cannot stand the $5 bingo and $3 cash word.   They don't have the patience to scratch off all  those numbers to see if they win.  That's why morst of the top winning tickets in those two games are still available, No body likes them and very few retailers carry them.     

If all the lottery games I  play, I have more consisent wins with scratch-offs,  usuing our strategies.  If you have any more share, I will do the same.   

Take care

Yessss...u b stylin alright. I also try to avoid the weekend "rush". I usually like to play on Sunday morning or midday. Lots less players. Also I like to play $5 or $10 tickets. Mostly $10, but will on some occasions play some of the $2 tickets. depending on how I feel that day. As for the "less popular" tickets, I only play those with the best odds/higher payout. Ticket sales have to reach a certain point before the"Lottery" will print (release) those bigger winning tickets. Here in SC many retailers like to post/copy those big winners as if they were trophies. This will help you in your research when it comes to ticket #'s, serial #'s, etc. If you notice a pattern then stick with it. For example...After visiting several stores and looking at their "trophies", you may find that many of the biggest winners have the same ticket #. Sometimes they may be high odd #'s, sometimes low even #'s. Looking at the serial(batch) #'s may show that there are duplicate #'s, non-duplicate #'s, or maybe sequence #'s. The point is that you should take note of any patterns. Good Luck and Happt Winnings!!!

United States
        Member #64434
        August 28, 2008
        31 Posts
        Posted: August 28, 2008, 1:46 am - IP Logged

Wow, they are some great tips.

I've always been a $1 and $2 person, but I might start purchasing the more expensive scratch-offs to try and give myself a better chance!

You guys who are posting the tips, do you seem to do well using these tips?

Amanda.

Instyle's avatar - Lottery-044.jpg

United States
          Member #55821
          October 21, 2007
          160 Posts
          Posted: August 28, 2008, 3:06 pm - IP Logged

I have better luck with scratch offs than any lottery game.   I did a test once and spent $20  (each)to play cash3, cash 4 and fantansy five, along with the scratchoff.  Over a period of a month, I actually won more money with the stratch offs.  Fantansy 5  (I have a system for that one too)was the next best results.   Keep in mind I follow my strategy.   My minimu ticket to purch is $5.00 and I try to buy 2 or nor more than 3 at one time.  I watch they type of scrta. off to buy, because that has a lot to do with it.  More people will buy the most popular games and forget about the hard games.  Like $5.00 bingo, it takes forever to scrtact h off those 40 numbers, so they won't sell as fast as the other instant games.  If you decide to play watch your pattern of wins, there is one belive or not.  I've learned that $1.00 and $2.00 scratch-offs are not worth it.   Its like 8 or more lossers in a row only to win a free ticket!  (maybe) anyway.......  don't play willy nilly,   come up with a strategy, notice the patterns and you'll do find.   

Since I am probably one of the few pepole on this post that has to work for a living, i don't time to post all of my strategies that seem to work for me, but when I have time, I try to share and maybe....... someone will hit big.   

Good Luck!

Idesire$'s avatar - Lottery-025.jpg
            Ellenwood,Georgia
            United States
            Member #60512
            April 21, 2008
            471 Posts
            Posted: August 29, 2008, 11:37 am - IP Logged

Will look at this to you guys no its a saying that if you buy tickets out the vending machine for lottery you have a better chance at winning. So that will entitle you to better tickets that the counter clerk is not keeping count of. LOL try it and see what happens.

SC
              United States
              Member #56656
              November 28, 2007
              508 Posts
              Posted: September 1, 2008, 9:14 am - IP Logged

Here in SC we do not have vending,only counter sales. Besides, a friendly clerk will talk!!! Please use these tips and you will win. SC has some new $5 tickets and I have won a $500 winner and two $100 already,and have only spent $30. Good Luck.

United States
                Member #64434
                August 28, 2008
                31 Posts
                Posted: September 1, 2008, 9:44 pm - IP Logged

well soothsayer, thats a good return on your investment so far!!

Amanda Hippy

SC
                  United States
                  Member #56656
                  November 28, 2007
                  508 Posts
                  Posted: September 3, 2008, 8:27 pm - IP Logged

well soothsayer, thats a good return on your investment so far!!

Amanda Hippy

Thank You Very Much Amanda !!! And I'm sure you are much better than your screenname !    Wink

Vergie6's avatar - 2animated234
                    North Carolina
                    United States
                    Member #59855
                    March 29, 2008
                    24064 Posts
                    Posted: September 7, 2008, 1:09 pm - IP Logged

Here is NC we had a $10 ticket called Cash Spectacular and I won lots of times on it and $50 and $100 several times but it is gone now and we have one that took it's place called $130 million blockbuster and it doesn't win worth a flip.  You win chances to mail it for $50,000 for life and that comes up a lot.  I kept my losing tickets and when I got to $140 worth I quit buying it. 

Also we had a $5 one called Big ol Bucks that won really good and then when it expired they came out with Jingle Bell Bucks for $5 and it was fairly good..and now it's a $2 one called Big ol bucks jr. which is not too good at all.

It seems that when they replace one ticket with another that's similar the second one doesn't win as good.....such as a dollar one we had called Summertime Cash.  I won $50 several times with it and then they replaced it with Summertime Cash 2 and I have never even heard of anyone winning $50 that I know.  I won $25 just once and $10 once but mostly free tickets and $1 and nothing.  They think that we will buy the replacement ones thinking it will win as good as the first one but they don't so don't waste your money.

I play pick 3 every day and seems I win more at that than scratch-off these days but used to win more with scratch when we had the good ones I mentioned above.

Oh one thing I hate is the letters on the ticket especially the Bingo ones...after you scratch off the numbers even before you play the bingo there are the letters telling you what you have won...such as fiv for $5 and Ten for $12 and ftn for $15 ant tic for a free ticket.

If you get h r y you or w r y or anthing that can't be linked as an abbreviation for money you may as well throw it out but I don't...I dutifully scratch them off and of course no winner.

I did win $50 the other day for the very first time on a $3 bingo card and the letters were hnd or hrd (can't remember exactly now)  and I just knew I had won a hundred dollars and checked that ticket over and over to see where I missed it  because all I saw I won was $50 so I think they messed up on that one and I took it to the local lottery office and told them that and they said no that the lottery did not make mistakes...lol....I think it should  have been fty for winning $50 myself and I told them that to no avail.

I won once $50 on the $10 cash spectacular card we had and couldn't cash it in and the place I bought it from did activate it and it was on the weekend so waited until Monday and called the state office and they said they did not do their "paperwork" before it left there so they would call me back in a couple of hours and they did and it did scan when I went to cash it in......I thought that was a strange thing too.

Wow I didn't meant to get so carried away with this....guess it was all on my mind for quite some time...lol

Thanks for reading it.

United States
                      Member #64434
                      August 28, 2008
                      31 Posts
                      Posted: September 8, 2008, 10:27 pm - IP Logged

soothsayer - i try to be!! i'm actually pretty unlucky when it comes to these things, but i've actually been doing alright lately. Must be something to do with the great tips!!

Amanda Turkey

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
                        Member #4121
                        March 23, 2004
                        782 Posts
                        Posted: September 8, 2008, 11:33 pm - IP Logged

Here is NC we had a $10 ticket called Cash Spectacular and I won lots of times on it and $50 and $100 several times but it is gone now and we have one that took it's place called $130 million blockbuster and it doesn't win worth a flip.  You win chances to mail it for $50,000 for life and that comes up a lot.  I kept my losing tickets and when I got to $140 worth I quit buying it. 

Also we had a $5 one called Big ol Bucks that won really good and then when it expired they came out with Jingle Bell Bucks for $5 and it was fairly good..and now it's a $2 one called Big ol bucks jr. which is not too good at all.

It seems that when they replace one ticket with another that's similar the second one doesn't win as good.....such as a dollar one we had called Summertime Cash.  I won $50 several times with it and then they replaced it with Summertime Cash 2 and I have never even heard of anyone winning $50 that I know.  I won $25 just once and $10 once but mostly free tickets and $1 and nothing.  They think that we will buy the replacement ones thinking it will win as good as the first one but they don't so don't waste your money.

I play pick 3 every day and seems I win more at that than scratch-off these days but used to win more with scratch when we had the good ones I mentioned above.

Oh one thing I hate is the letters on the ticket especially the Bingo ones...after you scratch off the numbers even before you play the bingo there are the letters telling you what you have won...such as fiv for $5 and Ten for $12 and ftn for $15 ant tic for a free ticket.

If you get h r y you or w r y or anthing that can't be linked as an abbreviation for money you may as well throw it out but I don't...I dutifully scratch them off and of course no winner.

I did win $50 the other day for the very first time on a $3 bingo card and the letters were hnd or hrd (can't remember exactly now)  and I just knew I had won a hundred dollars and checked that ticket over and over to see where I missed it  because all I saw I won was $50 so I think they messed up on that one and I took it to the local lottery office and told them that and they said no that the lottery did not make mistakes...lol....I think it should  have been fty for winning $50 myself and I told them that to no avail.

I won once $50 on the $10 cash spectacular card we had and couldn't cash it in and the place I bought it from did activate it and it was on the weekend so waited until Monday and called the state office and they said they did not do their "paperwork" before it left there so they would call me back in a couple of hours and they did and it did scan when I went to cash it in......I thought that was a strange thing too.

Wow I didn't meant to get so carried away with this....guess it was all on my mind for quite some time...lol

Thanks for reading it.

Thanks for sharing.  Lots of good info.

SC
                          United States
                          Member #56656
                          November 28, 2007
                          508 Posts
                          Posted: September 10, 2008, 9:57 pm - IP Logged

soothsayer - i try to be!! i'm actually pretty unlucky when it comes to these things, but i've actually been doing alright lately. Must be something to do with the great tips!!

Amanda Turkey

I certainly hope so. Please play smart and maybe we can change that name after all !!! Remember that patience is a virtue.

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
                            Member #4121
                            March 23, 2004
                            782 Posts
                            Posted: September 10, 2008, 10:10 pm - IP Logged

Avoid $1 and $2 scratch offs.  Its not worth it.

SC
                              United States
                              Member #56656
                              November 28, 2007
                              508 Posts
                              Posted: September 10, 2008, 10:17 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for reading it.

I Agree!  All states do the same thing. Many times they will advertise a game under an old name with a twist, such as you stated, yet these games are never identical. The odds, payouts, etc. are different. Only the appearances are similar. As for cashing a non-validated winning ticket, been there, done that. LOL. I guess some store clerks do get busy and forget what they are doing.