Welcome Guest
The time is now 7:11 am
You last visited November 28, 2014, 6:58 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Christian Faith and Lottery

Topic closed. 51 replies. Last post 6 years ago by Lotterologist.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
Entertaiment Capital
United States
Member #37800
April 19, 2006
302 Posts
Posted: October 13, 2008, 8:32 pm - IP Logged

I used to be a hardcore fundamentalist christian for 15 years.

It was mid 2005 that I first had my dream telling me that I would win the lottery. I fell into a deep dillema. Why?

Because 99% of Korean protestant churches (even ones in the US) demand tithe, based on Biblical verses. Many Korean churches demand 10% of your GROSS income no matter what. And many Korean christians willfully donate the tithe, believing that tithing is the key to the heaven's door.

Avoiding tithing is a serious blasphemy, according to the Book of Malachi, FYI. So I worried about tithing after winning the lottery. If I win 40 million dollars, I would have to give 4 millions to a single church. That's what 99% of Korean pastors preach.

But some traumatic and excruciating event drove away from christianity. Now my mom, who's a hardcore catholic who speaks in tongue and prophecize, strongly believes that I am possessed by devil. She strongly believes that all bad thoughts and behaviors are caused by evil spirits, not a person's own shortcomings.

I am still going to university full-time and I live with my whole family. I think my mom will try to take control of my asset if I win a lottery jackpot, believing that I will be using the money for sinful purpose. If that happens, I will have to put my mom on restraining order. And I am not gonna give any break if she violates it.

United States
    Member #17555
    June 22, 2005
    5583 Posts
    Posted: October 13, 2008, 11:18 pm - IP Logged

They should have a house of religion at Disnely land. It'll rival the haunted house there. The house of religion is far more scary. Lots of Ghouls blabbering unrecognizable words while having seizures right in front of you. 

Scared

United States
      Member #61785
      June 4, 2008
      33 Posts
      Posted: October 13, 2008, 11:26 pm - IP Logged

I was under the impression that you cannot "gamble" if you are a Christian?

United States
        Member #17555
        June 22, 2005
        5583 Posts
        Posted: October 13, 2008, 11:38 pm - IP Logged

You can't gamble, but if priests can molest young boys....well.........The Vatican is there to help.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          18033 Posts
          Posted: October 14, 2008, 12:06 am - IP Logged

Playing the lotteries is not really gambling since you know you're not likely to win even before the drawings.

* you don't need more tickets, just the right ticket * 
          * your best chance at winning a lottery jackpot is to buy a ticket * 
               Wink 

hearsetrax's avatar - 78638c467ef281febf24383e126f74b6

United States
            Member #52345
            May 21, 2007
            1920 Posts
            Posted: October 14, 2008, 6:51 am - IP Logged

They should have a house of religion at Disnely land. It'll rival the haunted house there. The house of religion is far more scary. Lots of Ghouls blabbering unrecognizable words while having seizures right in front of you. 

Scared

Green laughI Agree!   Green laugh

couldn't have put it better my self

buried treasure

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
              Member #4121
              March 23, 2004
              799 Posts
              Posted: October 14, 2008, 9:12 am - IP Logged

"It was mid 2005 that I first had my dream telling me that I would win the lottery. I fell into a deep dillema. Why?"

Did you win?  Maybe the problem is "Greed".

"Because 99% of Korean protestant churches (even ones in the US) demand tithe, based on Biblical verses. Many Korean churches demand 10% of your GROSS income no matter what. And many Korean christians willfully donate the tithe, believing that tithing is the key to the heaven's door.

Avoiding tithing is a serious blasphemy, according to the Book of Malachi, FYI. So I worried about tithing after winning the lottery. If I win 40 million dollars, I would have to give 4 millions to a single church. That's what 99% of Korean pastors preach."

You got to read the whole bible, not parts.

"But some traumatic and excruciating event drove away from christianity. Now my mom, who's a hardcore catholic who speaks in tongue and prophecize, strongly believes that I am possessed by devil. She strongly believes that all bad thoughts and behaviors are caused by evil spirits, not a person's own shortcomings."

LOL my parents always told me I am possessed my devils.  Most parents call their children devils.

"I am still going to university full-time and I live with my whole family. I think my mom will try to take control of my asset if I win a lottery jackpot, believing that I will be using the money for sinful purpose. If that happens, I will have to put my mom on restraining order. And I am not gonna give any break if she violates it."

Don't worry your mommy can't touch your money if you win the lottery and of legal age.

How old are you?

Evil Looking

Stew12's avatar - bad egg-64x64.png
                CT
                United States
                Member #61398
                May 21, 2008
                781 Posts
                Posted: October 14, 2008, 10:55 am - IP Logged

It was mid 2005 that I first had my dream telling me that I would win the lottery

I had a dream once where I was supposed to sleep with Carmen Electra, but that hasn't happened yet either.  I feel your pain.

Skeptical

GamerMom's avatar - tails

United States
                  Member #60535
                  April 21, 2008
                  460 Posts
                  Posted: October 14, 2008, 11:40 am - IP Logged

No offense...but i'm in the medical field and your mom sounds schizophrenic.  Maybe you should seek therapy.  Quite a large number of schizophrenics are hyper religious in that way; I wouldn't take what she says to heart.  If you are old enough to be in university your mom has no say over your finances, legally speaking.

Philippines
                    Member #59758
                    March 26, 2008
                    5 Posts
                    Posted: October 14, 2008, 2:35 pm - IP Logged

Well I think mom's and dad's just said that to keep you away from gambling.. Gambling is supposed to be a leisure reference, but if addicted?? That's the evil part I think your mom is saying.. you can't stop anymore. Also be careful as Greed might eat you up and there will be nothing left.. Wink

United States
                      Member #53163
                      June 27, 2007
                      20 Posts
                      Posted: October 16, 2008, 2:28 am - IP Logged

I am atheist Ambelamba so I'll try to just tell you what I think based on my experiences with my friend, who at one point was a pretty radical fundamentalist Christian.

If you no longer subscribe to the religion, I would recommend that you come to terms with it and ignore the tithing all together.  4 million out of 40 million would leave you with 36 million though...that is quite a bit of cash anyways.  Personally though, I believe tithing is a rule invented to perpetuate the religion.  It's genius.  Convince your followers that tithing is their god's will and they will be compelled to fork over any money they have.  How many people who make $1,000 or $2,000 a month in those churches do you suppose donate 100 or 200 a month?  Not too many I'm sure.  The reason is because in this day and age...an extra $100 or $200 a month bill could quite possibly lead you to being evicted or foreclosed on.  10% no matter what is nonsensical.

Your mother's beliefs may be strong but that doesn't mean you have to be ashamed of having a new worldview.  Just remember that morality is not confined to one religion.  Moral people come in all shapes, sizes, and backgrounds.  People are A to Z.  My good friend accused me of being possessed by demons and that was his explanation for my nonbelief in his religion...he ignored all of the arguments I made in support of my position.  We had to agree to disagree to salvage our friendship.  Since we did that, we are back to being great pals.  Your mom, if she loves you at all, will get a grip on her zeal and things will probably go back to normal.

If you are going to a university you are probably above 18 years of age.  In many states that is the legal age to play the lottery.  You are an adult at that point and control your own assets.  The only way I can think of for a family member to "take control" of assets would be to have you declared mentally incompetent (i.e. severely mentally disabled) and gain power of attorney...or you willingly gave her this power in writing.

Trust me my friend.  If you win $40 million your mom won't be the only person you'll have to get a restraining order for LOL

EAST COAST, USA
                        United States
                        Member #49428
                        January 31, 2007
                        548 Posts
                        Posted: October 16, 2008, 4:03 am - IP Logged

It was mid 2005 that I first had my dream telling me that I would win the lottery

I had a dream once where I was supposed to sleep with Carmen Electra, but that hasn't happened yet either.  I feel your pain.

Skeptical

LOL

ROFL

Perfecttiming2's avatar - redcross

United States
                          Member #65961
                          October 11, 2008
                          137 Posts
                          Posted: October 16, 2008, 5:45 pm - IP Logged

I used to be a hardcore fundamentalist christian for 15 years.

It was mid 2005 that I first had my dream telling me that I would win the lottery. I fell into a deep dillema. Why?

Because 99% of Korean protestant churches (even ones in the US) demand tithe, based on Biblical verses. Many Korean churches demand 10% of your GROSS income no matter what. And many Korean christians willfully donate the tithe, believing that tithing is the key to the heaven's door.

Avoiding tithing is a serious blasphemy, according to the Book of Malachi, FYI. So I worried about tithing after winning the lottery. If I win 40 million dollars, I would have to give 4 millions to a single church. That's what 99% of Korean pastors preach.

But some traumatic and excruciating event drove away from christianity. Now my mom, who's a hardcore catholic who speaks in tongue and prophecize, strongly believes that I am possessed by devil. She strongly believes that all bad thoughts and behaviors are caused by evil spirits, not a person's own shortcomings.

I am still going to university full-time and I live with my whole family. I think my mom will try to take control of my asset if I win a lottery jackpot, believing that I will be using the money for sinful purpose. If that happens, I will have to put my mom on restraining order. And I am not gonna give any break if she violates it.

You are focusing on the wrongs things.

First, you have to understand that Tithing is all about obedience in your relationship to God. 

God does not need the money, he just want to know if we will be obedient in His instructions on what to do with money.  It is a reflection of your obedience to HIM.

God says to those who faithfully tithe, they bring food into HIS house (meaning that there is money for the churches to serve the community, its congregation etc.) and that it is an act of obedience to Him and that He will open the windows of heaven and pour out a blessings that is overflowing.  HE does not ask for the whole thing, just 10%!

.......... Which means you get to keep 90%........and this bothers you? 

...If you were to win $40 million and tithe $4 million to the church....doesn't that leave you with $36 million??? (I not talking taxes, I'm just wanting to make a point here...)

If you are so afraid of letting go of something that you don't even have yet, your nightmare is starting already!!!!

You are already controlled by it!

Which brings me to my next point....

Instead of stressing over something that you don't even have yet........ shouldn't you be educating yourself on how to be a good steward over money? (This is another commandment in the bible as well)

The economy has shown itself to be unstable, you need to learn other investment option or at least look at firms and corporation who could help you navigate this "sudden event"should this dream come to pass......

If you really believe that dream....and that you are going to win.......put your faith into action....educate yourself on personal investments and money management.

And finally,

A reverential fear of God will always eliminate the fear of man.

My friend, your mother is the least of your problems......

You should try reading the book BOUNDARIES: When to Say "Yes", When to say "No" To Take Control of Your Life.    It is written by Dr. Henry Cloud and Dr. John Townsend.

You need to work on developing healthy boundaries in your relationship period.

If you REALLY believe something is going to happen, prepare for it now!

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                            Zeta Reticuli Star System
                            United States
                            Member #30470
                            January 17, 2006
                            9173 Posts
                            Posted: October 16, 2008, 6:22 pm - IP Logged

Perfectiming2

Henry Cloud is a great author!

ambelamba

Even among those who claim to tithe 10%, nation wide the average tithe is

2 to 3 %, and that's as goosd as it gets- and that came from a pastor!

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

hennybogan's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
                              McKinney/Texas
                              United States
                              Member #47363
                              November 1, 2006
                              696 Posts
                              Posted: October 16, 2008, 7:21 pm - IP Logged

Perfecttiming2 said it all about as well as Billy Graham could.

There is a CURSE given to anyone who does not tithe, as recorded in the book of Malachi.

You will NEVER HEAR this preached in any church here in America, but the tithe is to be

BEFORE TAXES etc. The bible says that God wants our FIRST FRUITS, and not our leftovers.

However, most Christians and Americans have indicated that a nice new, big home, new cars,

new clothes, neat vacation, vacation home, rv's, boats, motorcycles, stocks, bonds, and gold

and silver are more important than their relationship with God. Therefore, all they have left is

1-3% of their gross salary. I can speak with authority on the subject, because I was one of

these folks until I saw the light.  As to being a Christian and playing the lottery, some have the

freedom to play, and others do not. I have studied the bible since 1956, and I can only recall

several passages in the bible that pertain to gambling. One passage deals with the Cross. As Jesus

Christ was being crucified, the Roman soldiers were "casting lots" to determine who would win

his robe. On this web site, I go one step further. When someone shares a system with me, like Mazk did, and I win, I not only give 10% to the work of God(The Salvation Army, Make A Wish, Smile Train. etc.), but I give 10% of my winnings to the systems author. Recently I won $600 in Texas Pick 4 and

I gave Mazk $60, and $60 went to one of the above institutions.

If you feel gambling is wrong or evil, and you participate, then you are sinning.

If you feel gambling is not wrong or evil, then you have the freedom of playing, and you are not

sinning. Paul, the author of 2/3 of the bible, has a lot to say on the subject of sin and freedom.

In short, if it does not bring honor and glory to Jesus Christ, IT IS SIN PERIOD!!

If you are rebelling about giving God 10% of what he gives you, I PROMISE YOU - YOU WILL

NEVER WIN THE LOTTERY, AND YOU CAN GO TO THE BANK ON THAT!!!!!

Ephesians 3:20