Welcome Guest
The time is now 10:30 am
You last visited April 19, 2014, 10:29 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Scratch-offs by the pack

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 5 years ago by bob27.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
kentucky
United States
Member #65684
October 4, 2008
4 Posts
Posted: January 16, 2009, 7:51 am - IP Logged

I have heard of people buying a whole pack of scratch-offs.

Have you done this?

What dollar amount would you buy if you could?

pat

charmed7's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg
    MICHIGAN
    United States
    Member #65282
    September 22, 2008
    1840 Posts
    Posted: January 16, 2009, 7:58 am - IP Logged

never heard of anyone.  How many tickets come in a pack?  I could

not get a whole pack, i like the $5. tickets.

Pogo's avatar - wfl
      NC
      United States
      Member #29378
      January 1, 2006
      533 Posts
      Posted: January 16, 2009, 8:40 am - IP Logged

Sure - buying a pack of tickets is usually a great way to make money... the $20 tickets come in a pack of 20 = $400, the $10 tickets come in a pack of 40 = $400, the $5 tickets come in a pack of 40 = $ 200, The $2 tickets come in a pack of 100 = $200, and the $1 tickets come in a pack of 200 = $200... Most of this is for VA and other previously owned G-Tech regions... I like buying the $5 packs and usually end up walking away making between $30 and $60... Have fun & Buy your tickets... LOL - Pogo

AriesDaRam's avatar - nw gingfighter.jpg
        Stone Mtn
        United States
        Member #64518
        August 30, 2008
        1148 Posts
        Posted: January 16, 2009, 8:41 am - IP Logged

I've tried it once. I made about 1200 dollars off of it. Here in Georgia, the whole pack of any scratch-off will cost you $300. That is  regardless of how much the individual ticket cost. It could be very profitable if you buy the right pack.LOL I only tried it because I had hit the cash3 pretty good that day! I would say that you have just as good of a chance if you brought two or three. You have to remember that there is a good chance that you could end up with a bad roll. It didn't happen to me, but I've seen people not even make their money back!

Talking Rock, GA
          United States
          Member #60369
          April 15, 2008
          398 Posts
          Posted: January 16, 2009, 2:12 pm - IP Logged

I've never done it and probably never will.

If I could and wanted to, though........I'd buy a roll of $20 tickets.  Yeah, you only get 15 tickets in a $300 roll of $20 tickets in GA, but you supposedly (I would think) have a better chance at the bigger prizes (supposedly is the key word -- I could be wrong.....I don't know because GA doesn't post detailed odds on scratcher prizes like some states like SC do.....and I wish they would post the complete odds).

A Gold account on Lottery Post:  $4.95

A Millionaire Jumbo Bucks scratcher:  $20

Airfare and hotel in March 2007 to see The Price Is Right before Bob Barker retired:  $600-something

Winning something to get a trip to a district office:  Priceless Big Grin

Mass
            United States
            Member #68073
            December 12, 2008
            155 Posts
            Posted: January 16, 2009, 2:37 pm - IP Logged

$1, $2 and $5 tickets in Massachusetts come in "books" of 300. $10 and $20 tix come in books of 100 so needless to say it would take a pretty big win to allow me to buy any book. I did once split a $1 book with someone many years ago and we won a little more than 1/2 the $300 back.

Some small stores in my area actually sell $10 "squares" like people sell for superbowl betting. Once all the squares are sold they use the middle two digits of the following evenings daily draw-4 game to determine which square wins the book of $10 tix. Pretty good odds (1 in 100) of winning a book of tix that will likely cough up at least $500-$700 or perhaps even a jackpot tic?.....

lank's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
              albany georgia
              United States
              Member #55707
              October 15, 2007
              546 Posts
              Posted: January 16, 2009, 2:41 pm - IP Logged

Here in Ga. I have purchase a pack of tickets on several occasion. Some time I win my money back and sometime I might get a bad roll and go into the hole.Sun Smiley 

Pogo's avatar - wfl
                NC
                United States
                Member #29378
                January 1, 2006
                533 Posts
                Posted: January 16, 2009, 6:09 pm - IP Logged

I've never scratched, seen, or  even heard of a $20 ticket paying out more than $25 here in  VA... Any1??? Pogo

Tnplayer805's avatar - G 14_v78828750_Small.JPG
                  North Dakota
                  United States
                  Member #13397
                  April 5, 2005
                  1623 Posts
                  Posted: January 17, 2009, 2:04 am - IP Logged

I have bought a book of $10 instants from TN...  I'm sorry to say it wasn't a good book.  Spent $300 on 30 tickets...  I only got $125 back.  The best winner was only $30.

How are you going to win if you don't play?

grandmadec's avatar - Lottery-018.jpg
                    Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #29819
                    January 7, 2006
                    1102 Posts
                    Posted: January 17, 2009, 2:20 am - IP Logged

In Ohio ticket books cost different amounts for $1, $2, $3, $5, $10 & $20 books.  Unless you are lucky and get a really good book you are only going to win approximately half the value of what a book of tickets cost.

thor's avatar - thor
                      Deep in the Woods of Texas
                      United States
                      Member #68454
                      December 22, 2008
                      328 Posts
                      Posted: January 17, 2009, 2:37 pm - IP Logged

i purchased $100 worth of $2.00 tickets on a new game here at the first of the year and won $75. so i almost broke even. the highest winning amount was $20.

"Success usually comes to those who are too busy to be looking for it"

by: Henry David Thoreau

United States
                        Member #67870
                        December 7, 2008
                        107 Posts
                        Posted: January 19, 2009, 11:37 pm - IP Logged

In Ohio ticket books cost different amounts for $1, $2, $3, $5, $10 & $20 books.  Unless you are lucky and get a really good book you are only going to win approximately half the value of what a book of tickets cost.

that is a vey good point, lottery tickets in the U.S. only have an average estimated asset value in the neighborhood of 50% for most games

for example, you buy a $1 ticket and as soon as you buy it it has an estimated average maximum value of 50 cents.

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
                          Yinzer Country, PA
                          United States
                          Member #4067
                          March 18, 2004
                          2732 Posts
                          Posted: January 24, 2009, 2:21 am - IP Logged

$1, $2 and $5 tickets in Massachusetts come in "books" of 300. $10 and $20 tix come in books of 100 so needless to say it would take a pretty big win to allow me to buy any book. I did once split a $1 book with someone many years ago and we won a little more than 1/2 the $300 back.

Some small stores in my area actually sell $10 "squares" like people sell for superbowl betting. Once all the squares are sold they use the middle two digits of the following evenings daily draw-4 game to determine which square wins the book of $10 tix. Pretty good odds (1 in 100) of winning a book of tix that will likely cough up at least $500-$700 or perhaps even a jackpot tic?.....

Ok.  Before I go with my reply, I want to ask something.  Is that thing with the squares and the daily number digits legal?

Anyway, when I worked a terminal, I had a few customers who would buy books of tickets.  Back then all were $300, but not the $10 and up games are $600.  I remember this.  For every $300 book, the person would win back about $115.  I had one customer who would have us order 3 books of "Grand-A-Day Holiday" each week because the website said there was one top prize winner left.  As far as I know he never got that top prize.  Occasionally other people would buy whole books of tickets.  If I were the lottery, I would get a little suspiscious to a book being activated and settled within seconds, kinda like how they get suspiscious whenever they see huge purchases of tickets when a Lotto jackpot gets really high annd they think someone is trying to buy out the game, or launder money.  In other words, I think that the lotteries, and the retailers, should be a little suspiscious since they could be getting paid with stolen money.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

Mass
                            United States
                            Member #68073
                            December 12, 2008
                            155 Posts
                            Posted: January 24, 2009, 1:37 pm - IP Logged

Ok.  Before I go with my reply, I want to ask something.  Is that thing with the squares and the daily number digits legal?

Anyway, when I worked a terminal, I had a few customers who would buy books of tickets.  Back then all were $300, but not the $10 and up games are $600.  I remember this.  For every $300 book, the person would win back about $115.  I had one customer who would have us order 3 books of "Grand-A-Day Holiday" each week because the website said there was one top prize winner left.  As far as I know he never got that top prize.  Occasionally other people would buy whole books of tickets.  If I were the lottery, I would get a little suspiscious to a book being activated and settled within seconds, kinda like how they get suspiscious whenever they see huge purchases of tickets when a Lotto jackpot gets really high annd they think someone is trying to buy out the game, or launder money.  In other words, I think that the lotteries, and the retailers, should be a little suspiscious since they could be getting paid with stolen money.

A few stores do the squares thing and from what I understand lottery reps that service those stores are aware and do not discourage it. Do not think it is illegal because there is no profit made by the store or any extra profit made by the lottery itself. They are getting their $1000 for the 100 $10 tickets and one player is increasing his/her odds significantly. If I spend that $10 on one ticket my odds are only as good as everyone elses who buys one ticket. Since the book of tix is likely to give up at least $5-600 and the odds of winning $500 in most $10 games is typically 1 in 4500, I have increased my odds with a 1 in 100 chance.

OK, the squares in the store I do this just filled up so I need the Monday evening draw four to start with the # 50 and I win a book of $10 tickets. WIsh me luck!

stone mountain, ga
                              United States
                              Member #71301
                              February 22, 2009
                              1 Posts
                              Posted: February 22, 2009, 5:23 pm - IP Logged

I've done it a few times awhile ago, and always lost money.   But i did it again today with the $10 extreme green and the first one i scratched #29 was a $1000 winner. The rest of the roll won 6 tix and $75 in cash which would have sucked bad if I didnt get the grand.  In Georgia I believe that all the packs equal $300  (eg. there are 300 $1 tix in a pack or 30 $10 tix in a pack.)  all you're doing is changing your odds. its kinda like buying a $300 tix instead of a single $1 or single $20 tix, if its a bad roll  its a bad one.   if its a good one its a good one.    its still the luck of the draw... just on a larger scale.