Welcome Guest
The time is now 4:09 am
You last visited April 18, 2014, 4:08 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

NY Scratcher Tickets ($30, $20, $10, $5)

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 5 years ago by NYSSUX.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #63832
August 9, 2008
16 Posts
Posted: February 24, 2009, 11:49 pm - IP Logged

Just wanted to start a little discussion on the NY state scratchers, if anyone else plays. Wondering what everyone knows about the prizes and what type of luck people have.

I won 100 dollars the other day (in a draw game). Decided I'd start playing a lot of scratchers again, not just a dollar or two (those ones have awful odds). Lucikily enough, I won a little more than my money back, but I played quite a bit of those winnings (all of it actually). I bought the 1,000,000 Cashword scratcher because I like the idea of a lump sum grand prize of 1 million (not that I've got a chance in hell). Won nothing the first time, nothing the second time, nothing the third time. So frustrating checking those words looking for a letter I missed. I wonder if the grand prize is even out there yet, or how many of them there are? It went on sale February 3rd, and I don't know how long this game will go on for.

I got one of the 30 dollar tickets. Didn't win a thing. Was very disappointed, thought I'd win my money back at least.

Set For Life (10) won me my money back.

On the 5 dollar scratchers, however, I made a profit. I bought thirty dollars worth of scratchers (types I had bought before and won my money back). NY Poker scratcher got me 25 and 10 (I bought two). I love that game, I always seem to win. Snowflake 7's won me 14 for 5 dollars. Monopoly got me 25. Cashtastic got me 10. Cash City got me 10.

So all in all I made like four dollars actually.

How does everyone else fair? Of course this was a unique case, I'm sure most people are like me and normally only play a few bucks on scratchers a week (well, like 5 i guess, for the odds of at least getting a push).

And does anyone know if there is a list of the number of top prizes per game? The retailers around here don't have it, and for that matter... none of them have all the scratchers, I have to go to different stores for different ones. They run out quickly, even the more expensive ones. I don't see that many people playing the lottery but it must just be a coincidence, because these games seem popular.

JJ928's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
    CNY
    United States
    Member #71224
    February 21, 2009
    59 Posts
    Posted: March 7, 2009, 9:01 am - IP Logged

I play the scratchers  alot and have'nt had much luck lately.

Someone won the million $ prize on the ten dollar crossword game at the wegmans down the street from me, that was about 2 weeks ago.

Not sure how many top prizes there are for that game, and NY lottery does'nt seam to be very open about giving out that kind of info.

you can try emailing them to see if they will give you any info on that

Please post anything youfind out from them.

Thanks

United States
      Member #61296
      May 17, 2008
      187 Posts
      Posted: March 23, 2009, 5:08 pm - IP Logged

As soon as I cash out my sports account, Im buying 5 of those win $1M a year for life sctrachers. ($30!!) Keep u posted...

ThatScaryChick's avatar - AbnSTiA

United States
        Member #56506
        November 21, 2007
        4411 Posts
        Posted: March 24, 2009, 4:41 pm - IP Logged

I don't play scratch off tickets very often. I don't do very well on them. Maybe because when I do buy them, I only buy one or two of them and they tend  to be the one dollar or two dollar tickets.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

United States
          Member #63832
          August 9, 2008
          16 Posts
          Posted: March 29, 2009, 4:44 pm - IP Logged

I just read something odd in an article regarding the winner of the 1,000,000 cashword game (well, this isn't the odd part, but it was won only a few weeks after it went on sale-- the grand prize of 1,000,000, about 680k after taxes I believe). It said that the 1,000,000 cashword was the only instant game to pay out lump sum, and all others are annuitized. I hope this isn't true, I specifically play games like the Funky 5's and Snowflake 7's because their grand prizes are listed as 555,555 and 777,777 respectively. Whereas those that are clearly annutized, like Monopoly, Poker, Emerald 8's, etc, clearly say 50k/year/20yrs. The NY Lottery information can be all over the place. It's not like I think I'll actually ever win the grand prize, but I'd rather play for 1 million annutized than 777k annuitized, if that is indeed the case. Steep odds are steep odds, might as well shoot higher. I'm thinking maybe the article meant it was the only 1000k prize that was not annutized.

Maine
            United States
            Member #73761
            April 23, 2009
            3 Posts
            Posted: April 23, 2009, 10:42 pm - IP Logged

I love NY !! When they had deal or no deal I won 125$ in Whitehall . I came back when the 5$ funky 5 came out ... I hit 25$  the first time and the next couple days I won 5$ on 4 or 5 more tics...

then I went to Vt and won 20$ on a one$ tic!

Marquette, MI
              United States
              Member #20541
              August 20, 2005
              456 Posts
              Posted: April 29, 2009, 9:47 pm - IP Logged

I just read something odd in an article regarding the winner of the 1,000,000 cashword game (well, this isn't the odd part, but it was won only a few weeks after it went on sale-- the grand prize of 1,000,000, about 680k after taxes I believe). It said that the 1,000,000 cashword was the only instant game to pay out lump sum, and all others are annuitized. I hope this isn't true, I specifically play games like the Funky 5's and Snowflake 7's because their grand prizes are listed as 555,555 and 777,777 respectively. Whereas those that are clearly annutized, like Monopoly, Poker, Emerald 8's, etc, clearly say 50k/year/20yrs. The NY Lottery information can be all over the place. It's not like I think I'll actually ever win the grand prize, but I'd rather play for 1 million annutized than 777k annuitized, if that is indeed the case. Steep odds are steep odds, might as well shoot higher. I'm thinking maybe the article meant it was the only 1000k prize that was not annutized.

Read the back of the tickets, it should tell you there.

United States
                Member #74743
                May 19, 2009
                3 Posts
                Posted: May 19, 2009, 5:23 pm - IP Logged

the ny scratch offs plain old suck lately. i play all the time, i have for years. obviously, gambling is usually a losing proposition. having said that, i would often get my money back and or win a little. so it was fun and not bad. the last few months, ny tickets are just the worst. they just take your money, ticket after ticket. the odds cannot be true. you can stand there and buy 10 tickets in a row and get nothing. it was never that way before.

the latest tickets they just released are the worst ever.a couple of years ago the $10 "millionaire's club" was a fun ticket to play. another $10 ticket took its place for a few months and wasn't great. now, it's "stacks of cash" - a horrible waste of money and no fun.

NY
                  United States
                  Member #73805
                  April 25, 2009
                  3 Posts
                  Posted: May 23, 2009, 7:27 am - IP Logged

scored $1000 on black cherry doubler 2wks ago, you can just barely find that card. gave most of it back on set for life and poker

New York
                    United States
                    Member #75175
                    May 28, 2009
                    6 Posts
                    Posted: May 28, 2009, 3:20 pm - IP Logged

NY used to have quite a few winners...Matter of fact, my girlfriend hit the $5.00 "In the Money" last Sept. for the million dollar jackpot....I have hit $1000.00 twice in the past 5-6 years and probably hit the $500.00 jackpot on various tickets 5 times over the same period....I only play $5 and up tickets....Needless to say i play quite a bit but lately there seems to be a disturbing trend of lack of any decent winners, and when i say decent i mean $25.00, $40.00, $50.00 on up winnings, which up until maybe 6-8 months ago i would hit with some regularily...This leads me to ask if during these difficult fiscal times is it possible states are releasing less winners than they did when times were good without notifying the public?....Are states above this?....We know that they never saw a tax they didn't like, and by paying out even $10.00 less per book would be a huge windfall for them considering how many books are printed of each game.....Is there an auditing or reviewing commission that's supposed to keep tabs on them, and if so are the results made public?....I'm very skeptical....The biggest joke is the $30.00 ticket....This POS has a ton of $35.00 winners     Whoopee!!!!!!!!....Win 1/6 of what you payed for the ticket....Now, unless my math is wrong, using the same percentage means on a $20.00 ticket you would win $23.33, a $10.00 ticket would be 11.66 and a $5.00 ticket would be $5.83.....You ain't never gonna see  that crappy of a winner on those tickets although New York now has a few new $5.00 games that pay $7.00 and $8.00, something they never had years ago....You either got your $5.00 back or $10.00 was the next rung up the ladder......Even though the websites tell you the odds on each individual ticket and the $30.00 ticket has the best odds that only means of winning something, in this case $5.00 on the $30.00 you played which is the worse of any of them