Welcome Guest
The time is now 7:29 pm
You last visited September 16, 2014, 7:27 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Dateline NBC, Sunday May 3, Lottery clerks Who Cheat Players

Topic closed. 34 replies. Last post 5 years ago by WWW1.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
9056 Posts
Posted: April 27, 2009, 1:23 am - IP Logged

Dateline had a program tonight, You Might Be Rich, about tracking down people who had money coming through inheritances or other means.

They previewed next weeks program and there's going to be a segment on lottery clerks who cheat. On the preview they showed a clerk telling someone they had won $4 when they had actually won much more. Might be intersting.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
    Dallas, TX
    United States
    Member #60284
    April 12, 2008
    3855 Posts
    Posted: April 27, 2009, 1:50 am - IP Logged

Don't have TV. Wonder if they will have the video recording online after.

I hope this segment be a warming to other clerks out there who continue to cheats the players.

NY
      United States
      Member #23835
      October 16, 2005
      2829 Posts
      Posted: April 27, 2009, 2:17 am - IP Logged

I expect it will be as much warning as sending somebody to jail for any other crime. A few dishonest clerks will think they can get away with it, and odds are they'll be right.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - AbnSTiA

United States
        Member #56506
        November 21, 2007
        4627 Posts
        Posted: April 27, 2009, 3:44 am - IP Logged

Dateline had a program tonight, You Might Be Rich, about tracking down people who had money coming through inheritances or other means.

They previewed next weeks program and there's going to be a segment on lottery clerks who cheat. On the preview they showed a clerk telling someone they had won $4 when they had actually won much more. Might be intersting.

Looks like it might be interesting. Thanks for the heads up Coin Toss!

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

United States
          Member #58528
          February 18, 2008
          710 Posts
          Posted: April 27, 2009, 9:15 am - IP Logged

Is this on NBC or one of those cable networks that only show reruns?What time is it on?

United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            9056 Posts
            Posted: April 27, 2009, 9:52 am - IP Logged

It's Dateline on NBC ("regular" NBC)

Last night it was on from 6:00 - 8:00 pm CDT, not sure of next week's time, it varies.

Maybe something like this will get players to check their tickets themselves a little more closely.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

DC81's avatar - batman39
              MI
              United States
              Member #54830
              August 31, 2007
              977 Posts
              Posted: April 27, 2009, 10:47 am - IP Logged

I'm sure NBC.com or Hulu will have it up, if they don't already... Looking at the site they do have something up, don't know if it's just previews or the whole story, I'd check but I don't have enough time.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032600/

You can't predict random.

lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                CA
                United States
                Member #57222
                December 23, 2007
                587 Posts
                Posted: April 27, 2009, 12:22 pm - IP Logged

Hey Coin, is that going to be a new show or a recycling of the E! true Hollywood Story curse of the Lottery, where Robert Sehested almost got taken for $500k from a clerk when he was told it was only a $4 dollar winner?  It was In Camarillo CA and they only found out by some video that was sent out to find the true winner.  I hope its a new show.  Everyone broadcast the same  lottery shows since as early as 2002.  There have been many winners since then,  many Non- Anonymous winners to build a show around.  Talk about a reality show that I will actually watch.

United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  9056 Posts
                  Posted: April 27, 2009, 1:10 pm - IP Logged

lotocalgal

That might indeed be the case as they specifically mentioned the clerk saying the player had won $4, or maybe it's some kind of update on the case.

The theme of the show is finding people that didn't know they had money coming.

Lep

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                    Chicago
                    United States
                    Member #70678
                    February 8, 2009
                    889 Posts
                    Posted: April 27, 2009, 7:36 pm - IP Logged

It's Dateline on NBC ("regular" NBC)

Last night it was on from 6:00 - 8:00 pm CDT, not sure of next week's time, it varies.

Maybe something like this will get players to check their tickets themselves a little more closely.

I think it's a good idea to check your own tickets anyway.  I had thought about starting a new thread but I'll post my story here......

Years ago I had a winning Fantasy Five ticket. (I checked the numbers in the paper) On the way home from work I stopped at a liquor store to cash it in. When the clerk scanned the ticket he said sorry it's not a winner and handed it back to me. I thought maybe it was his machine so I stopped at another liquor store. Same thing only the clerk started to rip the ticket and I shouted NOOOO it's a winner check the numbers. When he checked his little printout showing the winning numbers.....sure enough it was a winner. He told me after I think it was 6:00pm the numbers would be re-entered into the system. Sure enough the next day I took the ticket back to the liquor store and this time it scanned as a winner!

Maybe this was a one time fluke but who knows.

United States
                      Member #71120
                      February 19, 2009
                      984 Posts
                      Posted: April 28, 2009, 12:59 am - IP Logged

They might want to check the ceo in Tennessee and make the program worth watching....

United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        9056 Posts
                        Posted: May 2, 2009, 1:12 am - IP Logged

Just bumping this as a heads up since it will air Sunday night.

Lep

Tnplayer805's avatar - G 14_v78828750_Small.JPG
                          North Dakota
                          United States
                          Member #13397
                          April 5, 2005
                          1623 Posts
                          Posted: May 2, 2009, 1:24 am - IP Logged

I have my DVR set.  Should be an interesting report.

How are you going to win if you don't play?

United States
                            Member #30470
                            January 17, 2006
                            9056 Posts
                            Posted: May 3, 2009, 3:05 pm - IP Logged

It airs tonight 6:00 PM CDT.

The Cable guide says Chris Hansen investigates lottery scams, so it might be more than that one case with the clerk telling the winner he won $4.

Lep

United States
                              Member #58528
                              February 18, 2008
                              710 Posts
                              Posted: May 3, 2009, 3:18 pm - IP Logged

It airs tonight 6:00 PM CDT.

The Cable guide says Chris Hansen investigates lottery scams, so it might be more than that one case with the clerk telling the winner he won $4.

Thanks for the reminder,Coin Toss.