Welcome Guest
The time is now 7:54 am
You last visited July 24, 2014, 7:53 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Question about signing the back of your lottery ticket

Topic closed. 26 replies. Last post 5 years ago by tiggs95.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Northern Ohio
United States
Member #63551
August 1, 2008
203 Posts
Posted: June 10, 2009, 8:54 am - IP Logged

Suppose you won a sizeable sum (perhaps even the jackpot) and you want to claim it anonymously (for example, through a revocable trust). Can you still sign the back of the lottery ticket as soon as you've found out you won? Or does the lawyer have to do it? It seems to me that I wouldn't trust anyone, even my own lawyer, to sign the winning lottery ticket and be off by himself to claim it.

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
    Member #47420
    November 4, 2006
    3930 Posts
    Posted: June 10, 2009, 9:08 am - IP Logged

We are told to sign the ticket as soon as we buy it..Worry about the rest after..Hope you have to worry after..:)

Raven62's avatar - binary
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #17843
      June 28, 2005
      17937 Posts
      Posted: June 10, 2009, 10:49 am - IP Logged

DO YOU TRUST YOUR ATTORNEY? If Not, You may want to look for a Attorney Monitoring Service!

Their are bad elements within every profession: Lawyers are no exception!

Your attorney is not your friend.

You hired your attorney because you found something that they said or did compelling.

Trust that your attorney will be acting in your best interest.

If you plan on Claiming Anonymously: Don't Sign the Ticket!

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/192374/1280483

PS: Lottery Post Search is Your Friend!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

United States
        Member #47420
        November 4, 2006
        3930 Posts
        Posted: June 10, 2009, 12:16 pm - IP Logged

OK let's try this..Call the lottery office and ask them when you should sign the ticket and when the tell you to sign the ticket right away let us know...

New Jersey
          United States
          Member #17843
          June 28, 2005
          17937 Posts
          Posted: June 10, 2009, 12:50 pm - IP Logged

OK let's try this..Call the lottery office and ask them when you should sign the ticket and when the tell you to sign the ticket right away let us know...

And whose interest will the Lottery Office be L@@king Out For: Yours or Theirs?

grandpajohn's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
            williamsburg,ohio
            United States
            Member #71029
            February 17, 2009
            603 Posts
            Posted: June 10, 2009, 12:53 pm - IP Logged

You sign the ticket if you win and put it in a safe place and don't tell anyone you have won.Then go get you a lawyer.

"Don't Give Up.Don't Ever Give Up"

Jim Valvano ex N.C.State basketball coach Thumbs Up

United States
              Member #47420
              November 4, 2006
              3930 Posts
              Posted: June 10, 2009, 1:53 pm - IP Logged

Good advice grandpajohn..Call the Lottery Office and see what they recomend to do..If you don't trust them then don't buy any tickets!!!..Some peole just love to argue..!!!!!!

ThatScaryChick's avatar - AbnSTiA

United States
                Member #56506
                November 21, 2007
                4568 Posts
                Posted: June 10, 2009, 5:30 pm - IP Logged

Suppose you won a sizeable sum (perhaps even the jackpot) and you want to claim it anonymously (for example, through a revocable trust). Can you still sign the back of the lottery ticket as soon as you've found out you won? Or does the lawyer have to do it? It seems to me that I wouldn't trust anyone, even my own lawyer, to sign the winning lottery ticket and be off by himself to claim it.

I believe if you're going to claim your ticket through a trust (because you want to be anonymous), that you would have to have the trusts name on the back of the ticket. If you put your name on the ticket you will no longer be anonymous. So, you probably should form a trust before signing the ticket so you can put the trusts name on it.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #17843
                  June 28, 2005
                  17937 Posts
                  Posted: June 10, 2009, 6:51 pm - IP Logged

Good advice grandpajohn..Call the Lottery Office and see what they recomend to do..If you don't trust them then don't buy any tickets!!!..Some peole just love to argue..!!!!!!

FYI: If you're Claiming Your Lottery Prize Anonymously with a Blind Trust: You Don't Sign the Ticket: The Blind Trust Signs the Ticket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Argue On.... ROFL

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                    Chief Bottle Washer
                    New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #1
                    May 31, 2000
                    21436 Posts
                    Posted: June 10, 2009, 7:12 pm - IP Logged

DO YOU TRUST YOUR ATTORNEY? If Not, You may want to look for a Attorney Monitoring Service!

Their are bad elements within every profession: Lawyers are no exception!

Your attorney is not your friend.

You hired your attorney because you found something that they said or did compelling.

Trust that your attorney will be acting in your best interest.

If you plan on Claiming Anonymously: Don't Sign the Ticket!

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/192374/1280483

PS: Lottery Post Search is Your Friend!

That post was a good find, thanks for posting the link.  I've saved it as one of my Favorites.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #17843
                      June 28, 2005
                      17937 Posts
                      Posted: June 11, 2009, 12:34 am - IP Logged

If you are going to use a Blind Trust: You'll want an Attorney that Specializes in Trusts:

Sample Blind Trust Agreement

grandpajohn's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
                        williamsburg,ohio
                        United States
                        Member #71029
                        February 17, 2009
                        603 Posts
                        Posted: June 11, 2009, 12:42 am - IP Logged

I did a search on this subject and this is what I found.

Wouldn't it suck if you won millions of dollars in a lottery jackpot, lose the ticket, and then have the prize money claimed by somebody else that found your ticket? Yes, of course it would. That's why you should always sign your lottery ticket as soon as you purchase it from the retailer.

There are ways for lottery corporations to verify if you are the rightful owner of a ticket. The main one is via the signature on the ticket. There are others ways as well, including a claimant being able to tell the corporation where and when the ticket was purchased. But that is never as full-proof as the actual signature.

Winning a lotto jackpot is against all odds and, if you are lucky enough to have all of your numbers come up, you deserve the money. A lottery win is usually a once-in-a-lifetime event, so if you lose your ticket, you'll most likely never get another win. So, be careful and sign your ticket.

Further, if you check the numbers and find out that, in fact, you are holding a winning lottery ticket, there are other steps that you should take. In addition to signing the ticket, you should also make several photo copies and keep them in separate safe places. That way, if you lose the original, you could still prove that you held the winning ticket. And, don't forget to keep the original in a very safe place.

Winning the lottery would be a dream come true for most people, but there are steps to be taken to make sure that you actually get the money that you win. Signing your lottery tickets at point-of-purchase is the most important of all the steps.

"Don't Give Up.Don't Ever Give Up"

Jim Valvano ex N.C.State basketball coach Thumbs Up

DelmarvaChick's avatar - wallace
                          Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #68398
                          December 20, 2008
                          81 Posts
                          Posted: June 12, 2009, 2:37 am - IP Logged

What's good and bad about this site...or any other discussion board for that matter, is that everyone is giving the best advice they can based off their own experiences and research or lack thereof.  Further, those people giving advice may not be open to different ways of accomplishing the same task. That being said here's mine, based on no personal experience from winning a lottery jackpot what-so-ever..lol

1. Call the lottery people...ask them what to do. They probably won't have much more info to give you than something rather generic.

2. Call a lawyer...ask that person some questions.

3. Call a financial institution and ask them the same questions.

4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 with different lawyers/financial companies until your satisfied with the answers.

5. Come to your own conclusion until you win...then seek out your favorite people from number 4.

DC81's avatar - batman39
                            MI
                            United States
                            Member #54830
                            August 31, 2007
                            975 Posts
                            Posted: June 12, 2009, 8:07 pm - IP Logged

If you want to claim in a state that doesn't allow regular anonymity but still can via a Trust or LLC then yeah you need to have the name of the Trust or LLC on the back of the ticket. What you also need to do is make some photocopies of the front and back of the ticket (along with whatever other means you want to use such as taking a photo of you with the ticket or whatever) then you place it somewhere it would be safe and secure without telling ANYONE where you placed it. You don't show the lawyer the real ticket, you show him/her the copy as proof. They do not need to know where it is and when everything is done and set up, then you sign the back of the ticket with the name of your Trust/LLC. If you want to be anonymous but you've already signed the back well then you might as well not bother and just go claim it because you can't scratch it out and then re-sign, well you can might it would probably be viewed as suspecious, though you still might be able to work around some things and still might be in your best interest to talk to some attorneys and probably an adviser or three.

I'd ever say not to trust your lottery commission because your trying to claim anonymously is NOT in their best interest and they'll try to make sure you do not, that's why you need the lawyer to look through and find exactly how to get around the issue.

You can't predict random.

TheGameGrl's avatar - p42a
                              Pennsylvania
                              United States
                              Member #17084
                              June 10, 2005
                              3110 Posts
                              Posted: June 13, 2009, 8:52 am - IP Logged

No arguement, just the facts. Even a Trust has a signor. So yes, signing the ticket is NOT going to cause harm. Its the FORM you complete when filing a claim that will carry the legal weight of how its devied out or WHO/WHAT ENTITY is claiming it. The ticket is the validation document for the series of win, the CLAIMS FORM is where the winnings get titled.End of facts.

Signature quote-If I'd agree with you , we'd both be wrong.