Welcome Guest
The time is now 3:05 am
You last visited September 3, 2014, 2:56 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Top Ten Lottery Tragedies

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 5 years ago by Texas Joey.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
Member #567
August 14, 2002
460 Posts
Posted: September 3, 2009, 10:00 am - IP Logged

I looked at the AskMen.com website the other day and found this section regarding the top ten tragedies of lottery winners.  Remember to play the lottery in a state where you can remain anonymous.  I have been on lottery post forums since 2002, and it still amazes me how people don't make it a top priority to only play lottery in a state where you can remain anonymous.

http://www.askmen.com/top_10/dating/top-10-lottery-tragedies_1p.html

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

Grovel's avatar - f800e6a39fbfea795d1dcbb09f2244
    Little Rock, AR
    United States
    Member #68365
    December 19, 2008
    229 Posts
    Posted: September 3, 2009, 1:03 pm - IP Logged

Most of those people seemed to have had bad spending problems. I don't see how remaining anonymous would have helped them.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      17842 Posts
      Posted: September 3, 2009, 1:38 pm - IP Logged

it still amazes me how people don't make it a top priority to only play lottery in a state where you can remain anonymous.

People generally play the available lotteries where they live and work, that pretty much decides the state where they play.

* you don't need more tickets, just the right ticket * 
      * your best chance to win a lottery jackpot is to buy a ticket * 
          Wink 

DC81's avatar - batman39
        MI
        United States
        Member #54830
        August 31, 2007
        977 Posts
        Posted: September 3, 2009, 1:45 pm - IP Logged

Yeah I'm sure people will want to drive potential long distance to buy a one dollar piece of paper that most likely will be worthless. If you're in the state for other reasons or live really close to it, fine but to drive potentially several hundred (especially now with gas prices where they are) miles just to buy some lottery tickets then perhaps the lottery is not for you because IMO that would be a sign of reckless spending as it is. Anyway I don't believe I read this article yet but I'm sure it's nothing new and will have the same old stories we've talked about several times in the past or used as examples..

EDIT: Yup, nothing new, only surprise is they left off David Edwards and put Stebbins on there, especially as high up. They also went from a lowest amount to the highest for those they listed. Could have done without the stupid commentary at the end about what Ask Men would've bought.

You can't predict random.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - AbnSTiA

United States
          Member #56506
          November 21, 2007
          4618 Posts
          Posted: September 3, 2009, 2:26 pm - IP Logged

I looked at the AskMen.com website the other day and found this section regarding the top ten tragedies of lottery winners.  Remember to play the lottery in a state where you can remain anonymous.  I have been on lottery post forums since 2002, and it still amazes me how people don't make it a top priority to only play lottery in a state where you can remain anonymous.

It amazes you how people don't travel to other states to play the lottery in anonymous states?  Really? Very few states allow anonymity. Do you really expect someone to travel from one state to another just for lottery tickets? Maybe you are made of money and can take off work and travel across the country to do that, but most of us can't. It amazes me, that people think that everyone can do this.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
            CA
            United States
            Member #57222
            December 23, 2007
            587 Posts
            Posted: September 5, 2009, 10:26 am - IP Logged

Most of those people seemed to have had bad spending problems. I don't see how remaining anonymous would have helped them.

I agree

Anonymity would not have helped theses situations.  For some, put alot of money, achoholism, drug addiction, the need for attention (like agreeing to be featured in a tv program like "the lottery changed my life" )   just shouts  disaster.  There are thousands of lotter winners that we don't hear about who knew what to do after their win.   As they say "If you are  a miserable  person with a ten dollars, you will be miserable with a ten million. 

IMHO -  successful lottery winners.

1.Remain Anonymous.
            2.Tell no friends or family of their win, unless they know they can be trusted and wont try to bump them off.
            3.Help out even friends and family  and even charity anonymously.
            4.Purchase new home in a  highly secured gated community.
            5. keep their old clucker to drive around in  and visit people after the purchase of your dream car.

I know it sounds extreme but I bet most  (successful) lottery winners do this.

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
              Member #47420
              November 4, 2006
              3930 Posts
              Posted: September 5, 2009, 10:40 am - IP Logged

When I hit I'll be like the lady who hit here in Ky..When she went to get her money she had it all set up and said "Ill see you all when I get back"..I'll say "Try to find me"..

Milwaukee, WI
                United States
                Member #3131
                December 27, 2003
                665 Posts
                Posted: September 7, 2009, 11:47 pm - IP Logged

There was an article posted once where a guy won something like $58,000 on a lottery 2nd chance TV show.

He left and crossed the street and got hit by a truck and killed...

MarkP

NY
                  United States
                  Member #23835
                  October 16, 2005
                  2829 Posts
                  Posted: September 9, 2009, 4:17 am - IP Logged

As others pointed out, it's not hard to figure out, so you can't be amazed and also be very bright. Also as others pointed out, most of the  problems winners have are their own fault. When you're your own worst enemy anoymity can't save you from yourself. OTOH, if you're a bit intelligent, not being anonymous isn't a hardship.

Northern Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #63551
                    August 1, 2008
                    203 Posts
                    Posted: September 9, 2009, 2:56 pm - IP Logged

it still amazes me how people don't make it a top priority to only play lottery in a state where you can remain anonymous.

People generally play the available lotteries where they live and work, that pretty much decides the state where they play.

What's the status of Ohio with regards to anonymity? You know?

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
                      Member #91
                      January 19, 2002
                      10046 Posts
                      Posted: September 9, 2009, 3:13 pm - IP Logged

What's the status of Ohio with regards to anonymity? You know?

The Federal, State and Local government Tax agencies show up to claim jackpot while you wait in there offices....

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

Texas Joey's avatar - Lottery-009.jpg
                        Katy, Tx
                        United States
                        Member #67709
                        December 3, 2008
                        204 Posts
                        Posted: September 21, 2009, 10:28 am - IP Logged

When you live in a big state like Texas, it is difficult to drive 400 miles for a Lotto Ticket.

LOL Joey