Welcome Guest
The time is now 6:13 am
You last visited April 16, 2014, 6:10 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Is buying 2 scratchers in a row better?

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 4 years ago by jwhou.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Million$Baby's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
Chicago, Illinois
United States
Member #81067
October 10, 2009
9 Posts
Posted: October 19, 2009, 1:30 pm - IP Logged

What do you guys think...

Do you think buying 2 scratch offs in a row is better than just buying 1? My first reaction to this strategy was that it does seem to give better odds. However, I have graduated to buying $20 scratchers so to me, risking $40 is a little much.

I have won on these high priced scratchers (nothing major just $100) but I am just thinking on some strategies (if there are any) that might increase my odds of winning.

Honduras
    Member #20982
    August 29, 2005
    4715 Posts
    Posted: October 19, 2009, 1:37 pm - IP Logged

great idea, excellent...

if it was me if the scratchoff doesnt cost more than 5 dollars then you should do it but it if cost like 20 dollars then no...

but is an excellent idea...bying 2 at a time is sure is better...

The Forex trades: 1.6 Trillion dollars EVERY day, that´s more than the GDP of the Carribbean Central America, COMBINED. Enough to feed every crook out there for centuries...To all Geniuses & Powers Countries of the World the Planet needs breakthroughs in all Medicine, Veterinary, Biology related fields, Psychology, Population Psychology/Sociology..They need to genetically ingeneer new plants species/types to give more variety of plants and thus have more resources for combating diseases¨

HiFi's avatar - police

United States
      Member #3792
      February 21, 2004
      197 Posts
      Posted: October 19, 2009, 11:18 pm - IP Logged

if u are willing to scratch them at the store then buy 1 and see if that wins first.  but, obviously the more you buy the more chances u have.  only buy what u can afford.

Nino224's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg
        Miami
        United States
        Member #62793
        July 9, 2008
        669 Posts
        Posted: October 25, 2009, 3:19 am - IP Logged

For the most part if one isn't a winner then chances are the next one will have something. The problem is when you're buying $20 tickets then things can spiral out of control very quickly.

"...a chance to push everything aside, the circumstances that've controlled our lives, and do it our way now. Good, bad or otherwise. You'll maybe get lost in it, tied up in it a little bit, but if you work your way through that the real you shows up, I think. Maybe what's at your core deep down, maybe that comes out. Maybe that's what it's about." Mike Pace 

columbus, GA
          United States
          Member #67676
          December 2, 2008
          2858 Posts
          Posted: October 29, 2009, 4:03 pm - IP Logged

Hi,

One thing that can be helpfull when buying scratch-offs is go to your states lottery website and look under games. go to where the tickets are located click on the tickets that you like to play or look at the list if you click, on each ind one it should tell you the odds. for example 1:4:3 so really what that means is 1 in ea 4 tickets is a winner, might not be the big one could just be another ticket. the lower the odds the better. Something to think about.

sunjune6's avatar - Lottery-010.jpg
            Atlanta,GA
            United States
            Member #79429
            September 1, 2009
            103 Posts
            Posted: November 27, 2009, 9:24 am - IP Logged

Hi,

One thing that can be helpfull when buying scratch-offs is go to your states lottery website and look under games. go to where the tickets are located click on the tickets that you like to play or look at the list if you click, on each ind one it should tell you the odds. for example 1:4:3 so really what that means is 1 in ea 4 tickets is a winner, might not be the big one could just be another ticket. the lower the odds the better. Something to think about.

In addition to what Divine is saying you might also want to check and see how many of the TOP prizes are remaining. Georgia's lottery website gives this info; you should know if your state's site provides this info.

If you think you can or if you think you can't you are right!

Today could be the day!

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
              Member #47420
              November 4, 2006
              3930 Posts
              Posted: November 27, 2009, 1:58 pm - IP Logged

I bought two by mistake once..I thought I lost the first one and went back and bout the next one on the roll then I found the first one in the car floor..One was a winner for 20.00 and the other was for 40.00..I win more by QP's and by mistake..Good luck.........

Raven62's avatar - binary
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #17843
                June 28, 2005
                17936 Posts
                Posted: November 28, 2009, 10:20 am - IP Logged

For the most part if one isn't a winner then chances are the next one will have something. The problem is when you're buying $20 tickets then things can spiral out of control very quickly.

How true, how true: A player came into the local convenience store recently: Started buying scratch-offs: Rubbed them Off and Cashed any Winners in right away: Kept playing until they had no money left. They had come into the store with $600 left the store with $0. Thud

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                  -Ridge Runner- Oracle of the Appalachians
                  Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                  United States
                  Member #73904
                  April 28, 2009
                  14674 Posts
                  Posted: December 7, 2009, 2:42 pm - IP Logged

How true, how true: A player came into the local convenience store recently: Started buying scratch-offs: Rubbed them Off and Cashed any Winners in right away: Kept playing until they had no money left. They had come into the store with $600 left the store with $0. Thud

I saw something akin to that except in reverse. A lady bought one ticket from the vending machine - won $50, bought another - won $40, bought another - won $100. She then went to the clerk, cashed them in and left. Some people know when to quit. I think I would have kept buying til I hit a loser in case it was my lucky day but who knows, maybe she's got the touch. It sure beat playing til you lost everything.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

United States
                    Member #83701
                    December 13, 2009
                    225 Posts
                    Posted: December 22, 2009, 12:26 pm - IP Logged

What do you guys think...

Do you think buying 2 scratch offs in a row is better than just buying 1? My first reaction to this strategy was that it does seem to give better odds. However, I have graduated to buying $20 scratchers so to me, risking $40 is a little much.

I have won on these high priced scratchers (nothing major just $100) but I am just thinking on some strategies (if there are any) that might increase my odds of winning.

When you buy two in a row, you are guaranteeing that both came from the same roll or pack.   At first glance, this seems to better your odds of the second ticket being a winning ticket if the first is a losing ticket but you also have to keep in mind that most packs/rolls only have the bare minimum number of winning prizes to meet the contractual minimum hence buying from more than one pack though lowering your odds of winning the small prizes, increases the odds of winning the larger prizes or rather doesn't exclude the larger prizes as quickly.

For example, the Texas $20 Blockbuster game has packs of 25 tickets, and although there are enough prizes in the $20, $25 and $30 value range for all packs to have some and if they were evenly divided amongst all packs, these low value prizes would exactly meet the $160 per pack prize guarantee, there are only half as many $50 prizes as there are packs printed.   If the $50 prizes are also evenly distributed then only every other pack would have a $50 winning ticket hence when you buy both tickets in a row, there's a 50% chance that you have absolutely no chance of winning a $50 prize and of the remaining 50%, there's only a 2 in 25 chance of winning the $50 prize but if you buy the tickets from two separate packs then there's a 3/4 chance of having at least one 1 in 25 chance of the $50 prize rather than a 1/2 chance of having a 2 in 25 chance of the $50 prize.

Note that the argument for the prizes to be even distributed is that the lottery commission is less likely to be sued if the prizes were evenly distributed between all packs and the packs shuffled during the distribution process but they save money in the printing process if most of the packs only have the minimum and the higher value prizes are only in a smaller production run.   Exactly where they are along this spectrum is anyone's guess.