Welcome Guest
The time is now 3:31 pm
You last visited April 24, 2014, 3:28 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Millionaire Jumbo Bucks (Ga.) question

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 4 years ago by WILLWRK4NUMBERS.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Alpharetta, GA
United States
Member #84947
January 6, 2010
2 Posts
Posted: January 6, 2010, 1:50 am - IP Logged

Hello all. This is my 1st time posting (to any forum), so please be kind. I am so bothered by something that I had to find someone to ask their opinion.

If any of you have ever played the $20 scratch off Millionaire Jumbo Bucks, how did you do? I'm only asking this because I have played 14 different times now, and haven't won anything...not even a "Free" ticket. And it's not just me. My girlfriend has played 10 times and nothing for her as well. This is a really expensive game, and it claims "Highest Payout % In Georgia History!!" (1 in 3.01), but 24 trys...and still nothing?!?! I promise I'm not crying because I haven't become an instant millionaire, but wouldn't it be normal to expect a $10, $20, free ticket, or something after 24 (combined) trys? What?

I guess what I'm asking is...is it possible that the odds aren't really what is advertised? Maybe in this economy, they're printing a few more "losers" than normal. Would the state even chance that? Who would ever even know? Or are two people really just having a terrible string of luck?

Normally, I would not spend this much on lottery tickets all year, but it's gotten to the point where I just have to prove to myself that my luck CAN'T be this bad Bang Head

Any and all opinions would be appreciated.

Rowen's avatar - animal eel.jpg
    Illinois
    United States
    Member #82001
    November 3, 2009
    890 Posts
    Posted: January 6, 2010, 9:57 pm - IP Logged

I know the feeling because I struck out on the $20 and $30 tickets too. I only broke even 1 out of 7 tickets I bought. I actually done better with $2 and $10 tickets. You figure you would break even 1 out of 3 times!!!

Maybe try buying 2 $10 tix instead of 1 $20 tix.

Alpharetta, GA
      United States
      Member #84947
      January 6, 2010
      2 Posts
      Posted: January 7, 2010, 2:15 pm - IP Logged

I know the feeling because I struck out on the $20 and $30 tickets too. I only broke even 1 out of 7 tickets I bought. I actually done better with $2 and $10 tickets. You figure you would break even 1 out of 3 times!!!

Maybe try buying 2 $10 tix instead of 1 $20 tix.

Shoot, I wish we were hitting 1 out of 7. I bought another one last night and still NOTHING Mad But I think you're right...no more $20 tix for me. Way expensive, and apparently this just isn't my game SurrenderI just figured the odds were better. That's what I get for thinking Crazy

United States
        Member #83701
        December 13, 2009
        225 Posts
        Posted: January 7, 2010, 4:43 pm - IP Logged

Hello all. This is my 1st time posting (to any forum), so please be kind. I am so bothered by something that I had to find someone to ask their opinion.

If any of you have ever played the $20 scratch off Millionaire Jumbo Bucks, how did you do? I'm only asking this because I have played 14 different times now, and haven't won anything...not even a "Free" ticket. And it's not just me. My girlfriend has played 10 times and nothing for her as well. This is a really expensive game, and it claims "Highest Payout % In Georgia History!!" (1 in 3.01), but 24 trys...and still nothing?!?! I promise I'm not crying because I haven't become an instant millionaire, but wouldn't it be normal to expect a $10, $20, free ticket, or something after 24 (combined) trys? What?

I guess what I'm asking is...is it possible that the odds aren't really what is advertised? Maybe in this economy, they're printing a few more "losers" than normal. Would the state even chance that? Who would ever even know? Or are two people really just having a terrible string of luck?

Normally, I would not spend this much on lottery tickets all year, but it's gotten to the point where I just have to prove to myself that my luck CAN'T be this bad Bang Head

That's truly unusual, with odds of 1 in 3.01 for any prize, the odds of not having any prize what so ever in 24 tickets would be ( 1 - 1/3.01 )^ 24  or 1 in 16,177 which means that there's a 16176 in 16177 chance of you having at least won one $20 prize in 24 tickets.   Long odds, but just as with winning the lottery, it does happen.   I would expect you to have had at least one such winning ticket after 6 tickets and average one such win ever two tickets in the long run.

Given that scratch off tickets are printed in large sheets, amongst which the prizes are evenly distributed  with a pseudorandom number generator, cut into sheets, shrink wrapped and then the packs shuffled and the fact that we know that shuffling is not a very good way to randomize anything, I would say that your area got a big batch of cold packs.   Try to go somewhere else to buy your tickets in hopes that they don't share the share delivery.   Where ever there's a cold batch of packs, there's a hot batch somewhere.

You could try to follow the ticket delivery man around to see where he makes his rounds and avoid those stores for a while.

You may want to start keeping a written record of your purchases.   We tend to remember things either pessimistically or optimistically, unless you have a record, you don't really know whether you're doing as expected.

If you want to have a more pleasant experience, don't look for tickets with the high top prize such as the set for life or win for life games, those high top prizes means fewer lower value prizes, look for games with more prize levels yet the odds at each prize level is comparable.   Of course with an expensive game like the $20 games, it's costly to have a reasonable sample size so you may wish to switch to a lower priced game such as the $2 games.

The odds probably are as advertised, they're legally constrained for that.   Think of it as flipping coins, it would be unusual to flip a hundred times and always get tails but it is possible.

They do have a minimum prize guarantee per pack and there are usually 25 tickets in a pack of $20 tickets so if you bought an entire pack, you're certain to have some wins albeit not likely to be very large wins.

Now, I do remember back in the 80's that a ring of store clerks and hospital workers were x-raying the tickets and picking out the winning tickets for themselves.   If that's what's happening, you may wish to just not play in your area till the lottery commission decides that there's a statistical anomaly and investigates.   You may actually want to write them about your losing streak, it may prompt an investigation of the store clerks in your area.

x1kosmic's avatar - neptune vg2.gif

United States
          Member #48046
          December 7, 2006
          1699 Posts
          Posted: January 7, 2010, 4:55 pm - IP Logged

My experience with TN. Millionares $20 dollar ticket is:

Save up and buy more than One at a time, 

....alsoThe first few on the Roll have hit for me,

I got a 000 (zero) first on the roll and won $200

just my 2 cents

Lucky4Life's avatar - batman14

United States
            Member #85038
            January 7, 2010
            183 Posts
            Posted: January 7, 2010, 6:22 pm - IP Logged

My experience with TN. Millionares $20 dollar ticket is:

Save up and buy more than One at a time, 

....alsoThe first few on the Roll have hit for me,

I got a 000 (zero) first on the roll and won $200

just my 2 cents

That is exactly how you have to play scratchers.  I spent $80 for 4 tix yesterday and won 150, spent 160 today and won 200.  You will hit it eventually, just have to get more of the roll ;)

Lucky4Life's avatar - batman14

United States
              Member #85038
              January 7, 2010
              183 Posts
              Posted: January 8, 2010, 11:41 am - IP Logged

took that $200 today, bought 10 with it and won $255.  My system works!

United States
                Member #83701
                December 13, 2009
                225 Posts
                Posted: January 8, 2010, 12:57 pm - IP Logged

took that $200 today, bought 10 with it and won $255.  My system works!

Buying more from the same roll is a two edged sword.    There's a minimum prize amount guarantee in each pack so buying an entire pack will guarantee that you will win something but not every pack has larger winners.   If you take a look at the prize structure you will notice that several of the lower value prizes will have the number of prizes comparable to the number of packs which you can calculate by taking the total number of tickets printed and dividing it by the number of tickets in a pack.   When spread evenly throughout the pack, these lower value prizes usually add up to the minimum amount that they guarantee so most of the packs can be printed just from one or two stamps with each sheet printed producing several packs then a smaller production run is done of packs with the higher value prizes in them.   Buying more than one ticket from the same pack increases your odds of winning a win of any kind and will guarantee you a win once you buy a certain percentage of the pack, usually 18 out of a 25 ticket pack but at the risk of probably not having a chance of winning a larger value prize.    Buying from multiple packs increases your chances of winning a larger value prize at the expense of perhaps winning nothing at all.

This is the interesting feature of scratch off games.   They are not truly random, in order to assure fairness, they've guaranteed an even distribution of the prize.   If it were truly random, it would be very possible to not have any wins at all in a pack and although unlikely, it would also be possible to have every ticket a win in a pack, but they guarantee that that would not happen.

You probably will have better luck if you expect to buy at least 6 tickets from the same pack.   For most $20 games that should be a 95% confidence level of winning at least once but you should set a limit as to when to change packs as both the random number generator used to place the prizes, economic restrictions on printing runs and the lottery commissions own guarantees lean towards as even a distribution as possible hence if you run through half the pack or have won half the guarantee value of the pack then it may be time to move on to maximize your chances at a larger prize.

Not much of a system but a system none the less.

Obviously, the odds are such that you will eventually loose your winnings whatever your strategy if you keep playing so the real benefit of playing is the dreams, and the entertainment.   With lower value games you're trading volatility for a more consistent albeit lower in the long rung return.   For example, due to the number of tickets sold but the fact that the last remaining top prize is still unclaimed, the long term expectation of Texas's $20 Super Set For Life game is now about 95 cents on the dollar (it was originally 68 cents on the dollar) but about 40 cents of that is from the top prize which you can reasonably expect not to get unless you bought 211,733 to 367,149 tickets with a median of 290,411 tickets (the 1/e to the 1 - 1/e and the 50% confidence levels) but if you only had $20 to spend, based on interpolating the prizes expected at a 50% confidence level, you would expect a return of 3 cents on the dollar for a $20 purchase while if you bought $20 worth of the $1 Crazy Cash, where the long term expectation is 60 cents on the dollar, you can reasonably expect (50% confidence level) a 37 cents return on the dollar for a $20 lot of tickets.   Of course, as you buy more tickets, the volatility is reduced and the higher priced tickets become more consistent at a higher return rate than the lower priced tickets but not till you're buying rather large lots of tickets.   I've worked out the values for $20, $100 and $200 lots and at the $20 lot size it's the $2 Snow Dough game that will reasonably payout 38.7 cents on the dollar, at $100 it would be the $5 $50,000 Cash game paying out at 52.1 cents on the dollar and at the $200 lot size it would be the $5 $50,000 Cash game again paying out at 62.3 cents on the dollar.   I suppose I could continue working it out till I see a $20 game cross over but the point is that the higher priced games is a much longer term investment as you will have to buy a lot of tickets before you see a consistent win hence you have to be prepared to win nothing at all more often with those games even though they win more often in the long run.   If you're not happy playing $20 games, drop down to the $5 or $2 games until the itch for the big prizes get the better of you.

Rowen's avatar - animal eel.jpg
                  Illinois
                  United States
                  Member #82001
                  November 3, 2009
                  890 Posts
                  Posted: January 8, 2010, 11:52 pm - IP Logged

From my experience of buying $20/30 tix one at a time from different stores, the outcome was just awful. It was like I got the dud from every single packs when I did it that way. It would have been better to buy 3 tixs in a row since that's the break even point, at least you are getting some of your money back while you're chasing the bigger prizes. Not worse feeling that spending that kind of money and not winning anything!!!

lank's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
                    albany georgia
                    United States
                    Member #55707
                    October 15, 2007
                    546 Posts
                    Posted: January 8, 2010, 11:57 pm - IP Logged

did you buy all your ticket from the same roll?Sun Smiley

Tnplayer805's avatar - G 14_v78828750_Small.JPG
                      North Dakota
                      United States
                      Member #13397
                      April 5, 2005
                      1623 Posts
                      Posted: January 10, 2010, 1:36 am - IP Logged

Funny that you mention this ticket.  I bought two today and lost on both.  I've NEVER had any luck on GA instant tickets.  On a side note...  I did buy a $20 Mill Club from TN yesterday and brought home $100...  The prizes are there in most cases.  In fact, I usually stick to one or two $10 - $20 tickets.  I've won $500 twice after buying two tickets...  Usually the first one is a dud then the 2nd was the winner.  I've won $100 or $50 more times than I can count doing the same method.  I've also lost a good bit by going for a third which REALLY hurts...  Especially if you lose or much worse... Win a free ticket...

How are you going to win if you don't play?

Denver, CO
                        United States
                        Member #84445
                        December 29, 2009
                        2 Posts
                        Posted: January 30, 2010, 9:42 pm - IP Logged

I have won multiple times in the same store. I spent maybe a good 40 dollars and came out with 100

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
                          Pennsylvania
                          United States
                          Member #74096
                          May 2, 2009
                          15839 Posts
                          Posted: January 30, 2010, 10:26 pm - IP Logged

OP, you have to be very careful with the $20 tickets. Don't test your luck with them. All things considered, I do better on the $5.00 tickets and

believe me, I buy enough of our $20 tickets here in PA. I've won $100 many times on a $5 ticket - that's 20 times the ticket price...for me to do that

on a $20 ticket..I'd have to win $400 consistently. Sure the $400 is better than the $100 but consider this too: $20 buys 4 $5.00 tickets...and 1

$20.00 If I have $200 I want spend on scratch offs, that will buy me 10 - $20 tickets but will buy me 40 - $5.00 tickets. I KNOW there's a hundred

dollar winner in 40.....I'm not sure at all there's even a $100 winner in 10. I am not talking about feeding the machine $200 and selecting 10 or 40.

You have to bounce around. At least 2 $5.00 tickets from a roll/machine....they might win, they might not..but then, you only spent $10.00 to win

nothing rather than $40.00 just to get frustrated and want to prove something by spending $40 more.

The winning potential on a high priced ticket is awfully enticing IMO, it's worse to try to win a high amount on a high priced ticket. The over $100

winners are few and far between....the cost of the ticket winners are a dime a dozen...and the $0 winners often follow a simple $20 winner where

you might have the next 5 - 10 be nothing at all. I think it's a right place right time sort of thing...so far, it does not sound like you've been at either.

Don't let the big money reel you in...it is out there but with the way you're going...it may take you years to find one. Sure we all like to play and

do what you want. I just wanted to let you know that just because the ticket promises more doesn't mean you'll win anything decent. You can

try but might find you're much more in the hole than you would ever get buying $5.00 tickets.

I'm waiting for a $30 ticket in PA...hasn't happened yet but they're probably thinking about it. I think I even read somewhere that one state has

a $50 ticket...that is insanity. If they bring that to PA, I might get a case of temporary insanity...but then I think I'd get might angry and leave it

to the permanently insane to continue to try their luck with.

One other thing....you might try the new releases for a week or week and a half when they come out. That's the best time to play....they

consentrate winners then..put more in a pack...and higher winners too. It happens here...they like to make us think that their new release

tickets are the best ones yet. HA! Only for about 2 weeks tops..then they fall into the class of mainly money pits too.

Good luck and hopefully - if you don't rethink your strategy - you'll win on one of those tickets and soon!

Big Smile

Illinois
                            United States
                            Member #85397
                            January 14, 2010
                            8 Posts
                            Posted: February 2, 2010, 3:03 pm - IP Logged

OP, you have to be very careful with the $20 tickets. Don't test your luck with them. All things considered, I do better on the $5.00 tickets and

believe me, I buy enough of our $20 tickets here in PA. I've won $100 many times on a $5 ticket - that's 20 times the ticket price...for me to do that

on a $20 ticket..I'd have to win $400 consistently. Sure the $400 is better than the $100 but consider this too: $20 buys 4 $5.00 tickets...and 1

$20.00 If I have $200 I want spend on scratch offs, that will buy me 10 - $20 tickets but will buy me 40 - $5.00 tickets. I KNOW there's a hundred

dollar winner in 40.....I'm not sure at all there's even a $100 winner in 10. I am not talking about feeding the machine $200 and selecting 10 or 40.

You have to bounce around. At least 2 $5.00 tickets from a roll/machine....they might win, they might not..but then, you only spent $10.00 to win

nothing rather than $40.00 just to get frustrated and want to prove something by spending $40 more.

The winning potential on a high priced ticket is awfully enticing IMO, it's worse to try to win a high amount on a high priced ticket. The over $100

winners are few and far between....the cost of the ticket winners are a dime a dozen...and the $0 winners often follow a simple $20 winner where

you might have the next 5 - 10 be nothing at all. I think it's a right place right time sort of thing...so far, it does not sound like you've been at either.

Don't let the big money reel you in...it is out there but with the way you're going...it may take you years to find one. Sure we all like to play and

do what you want. I just wanted to let you know that just because the ticket promises more doesn't mean you'll win anything decent. You can

try but might find you're much more in the hole than you would ever get buying $5.00 tickets.

I'm waiting for a $30 ticket in PA...hasn't happened yet but they're probably thinking about it. I think I even read somewhere that one state has

a $50 ticket...that is insanity. If they bring that to PA, I might get a case of temporary insanity...but then I think I'd get might angry and leave it

to the permanently insane to continue to try their luck with.

One other thing....you might try the new releases for a week or week and a half when they come out. That's the best time to play....they

consentrate winners then..put more in a pack...and higher winners too. It happens here...they like to make us think that their new release

tickets are the best ones yet. HA! Only for about 2 weeks tops..then they fall into the class of mainly money pits too.

Good luck and hopefully - if you don't rethink your strategy - you'll win on one of those tickets and soon!

Big Smile

From dr65:

"I think I even read somewhere that one state has

to the permanently insane to continue to try their luck with."

Texas lottery has a $50 instant ticket with a top prize of $10,000,000

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
                              Pennsylvania
                              United States
                              Member #74096
                              May 2, 2009
                              15839 Posts
                              Posted: February 3, 2010, 8:12 am - IP Logged

From dr65:

"I think I even read somewhere that one state has

to the permanently insane to continue to try their luck with."

Texas lottery has a $50 instant ticket with a top prize of $10,000,000

WOW!! no way!

$10,000,000

That seals the deal....bring it to PA and I'll be a regular Big Smile

Could you just imagine scratching off that amount? I'd probably instantly drop dead.

Thanks Olsaman, that is awesome!