Welcome Guest
The time is now 5:45 am
You last visited November 1, 2014, 5:27 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Seeing if an instant lottery ticket is a winner

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 5 years ago by Wheeler.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #84954
January 6, 2010
1 Posts
Posted: January 6, 2010, 7:15 am - IP Logged

I would like to know if there is a way to tell if my tickets are winners or not before taking them to the retailer. I live in Michigan and have just started to play some instant tickets and have heard it has something to do with the 3 letters on the ticket.

sully16's avatar - sharan
    Listens to the wind
    Michigan
    United States
    Member #81740
    October 28, 2009
    20083 Posts
    Posted: January 6, 2010, 7:57 am - IP Logged

First you need to read the directions on the ticket itself. alot of times the prize amount is spelled out,  you'll see o n e  or t e n  somewhere mixed on the ticket. before you buy the ticket ask how it's played. never and i mean never hand over a ticket your not sure of to a clerk at a gas station or party store. take it to a lottery retailer or ask a trusted family member for help first. there are many articles here at lottery post about crooked clerks.

There's only one US Flag

United States
      Member #83701
      December 13, 2009
      225 Posts
      Posted: January 31, 2010, 11:17 am - IP Logged

I would like to know if there is a way to tell if my tickets are winners or not before taking them to the retailer. I live in Michigan and have just started to play some instant tickets and have heard it has something to do with the 3 letters on the ticket.

Scan the 2 dimensional bar code in the self-scan machine at the store.   The self scan machine works on both draw and scratch off tickets.

Norfolk,VA
        United States
        Member #83225
        December 2, 2009
        757 Posts
        Posted: February 12, 2010, 11:24 pm - IP Logged

I know here in VA if you see any of the following letters (B,D,Z,P) on the scratch off..... you didnt win anything.....Thud

ONEDAY's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
          OHIO
          United States
          Member #5328
          June 30, 2004
          1284 Posts
          Posted: February 15, 2010, 3:22 pm - IP Logged

in ohio its w,r,h,n,z sometimes other letters too..

also in Ohio at the self ticket machines there is a bar code scanner..you just have to scratch off the bar code..nothing else.

warning: this can become addicting..you buy one see if you won..if you didnt you buy another one to you hit on that ticket series!Smile

have a great winning day!

estreeter's avatar - Lottery-033.jpg

United States
            Member #52043
            May 7, 2007
            6 Posts
            Posted: March 10, 2010, 11:22 am - IP Logged

My advice is to resist the temptation of deciphering the codes or lulling yourself into the false belief that you understand them. They're intended for retailer use in the event they choose to sight validate a low-tier prize winning ticket instead of using their terminal. For all low-tier prizes ($1-$25) the codes are specific to the prize level and generally make sense. A $4 winner always has the code "FOR", a $20 winner is always "TWN", a $10 winner is always "TEN", etc. But, for all other tickets the code sequence is random and it's impossible to distinguish a non-winning ticket from a ticket winning a prize greater than $25. This includes the top prize winning tickets. Many a player has thrown away a prize simply because the 3-character code didn't make any apparent sense. Can you imagine throwing away a ticket simply because the code was "HUX" and it turned out to be a $200,000 winner? Always always always have your tickets validated by a retailer.

JordanT1021's avatar - Lottery-046.jpg
              North Carolina
              United States
              Member #53121
              June 24, 2007
              5825 Posts
              Posted: March 10, 2010, 11:39 am - IP Logged

I know here in VA if you see any of the following letters (B,D,Z,P) on the scratch off..... you didnt win anything.....Thud

When I travel to VA to buy tickets the clerk says the "b" stands for bad luck and the letter "d" stands for dummy. It could mean anything b/c it will not be a winner, but I enjoyed his analogy

US Flag

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
                Pennsylvania
                United States
                Member #74096
                May 2, 2009
                16573 Posts
                Posted: March 10, 2010, 11:51 am - IP Logged

Sounds like your state is similar to PA...we have 3 letters on our tickets. Scratch the whole play area and look for them. Just look for letters that

abbreviate a dollar amount: twy, ten, fiv, tfv, hun, two, one, fft, fry, fty, fvh...etc

If you ever see: CLM

That stands for CLAIM.

Big Smile

Wheeler's avatar - Lottery-023.jpg
                  Pittsburg, Ks
                  United States
                  Member #3382
                  January 17, 2004
                  44728 Posts
                  Posted: March 11, 2010, 9:52 pm - IP Logged

I asked the clerk what the newest tickets were for Kansas. She told me #'s 9 & 10. I took to of the 9's which were X's & O's. I sratched the top ticket and right off the bat won a whopping free ticket. the ticket sys yo can win 2 ways. Besudes getting the X's and O's in tic-tac-toe order it also had a bonus. Both bonuses were phrases like Maybe next time and Good luck. To bad my first ticket wasn't the first. The count on the tickets were #111 and #112. the lettter on #111 was E and on #112 is a B

Brain Doesn't  Work Until Half-Past Coffee