Welcome Guest
The time is now 9:27 am
You last visited October 24, 2014, 9:25 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lottery Winners & Anonymity

Topic closed. 14 replies. Last post 5 years ago by Coin Toss.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Bondi Junction
Australia
Member #57242
December 24, 2007
484 Posts
Posted: January 21, 2010, 9:29 pm - IP Logged

After reading about the Florida lottery winners, who is now "missing", I decided to write to the lottery and express my point of view.

I wrote the following....

Dear Florida Lottery: I was reading the about the person who won a lottery jackpot and is now willing. I checked your website and was very disappointed to find the following:

Q. Can Lottery winners remain anonymous?

A. No. Florida Lottery winners cannot remain anonymous. Florida law mandates that the Florida Lottery provide the winner’s name, city of residence, game won, date won and amount won to any third party who requests the information; however Florida Lottery winners' home addresses and telephone numbers are confidential.

Other lotteries can run a lottery successfully without compromising winners privacy. Denying winners the right to remain anonymous turns them into sitting ducks. I hope you reconsider your position on this matter.

Thank you for your time.

We all get a lot out of lotteries!

Bondi Junction
    Australia
    Member #57242
    December 24, 2007
    484 Posts
    Posted: January 21, 2010, 9:30 pm - IP Logged

After reading about the Florida lottery winners, who is now "missing", I decided to write to the lottery and express my point of view.

Dear Florida Lottery: I was reading the about the person who won a lottery jackpot and is now willing. I checked your website and was very disappointed to find the following:

A. No. Florida Lottery winners cannot remain anonymous. Florida law mandates that the Florida Lottery provide the winner’s name, city of residence, game won, date won and amount won to any third party who requests the information; however Florida Lottery winners' home addresses and telephone numbers are confidential.

Other lotteries can run a lottery successfully without compromising winners privacy. Denying winners the right to remain anonymous turns them into sitting ducks. I hope you reconsider your position on this matter.

Thank you for your time.

I got the following reply......

Thank you for writing the Florida Lottery and expressing your viewpoint, however due to Florida’s strong public records laws, it requires the disclosure of Lottery winner’s names and cities or residence, as well as prize amount. Because the Florida Lottery in essence belongs to the citizens of Florida, the Florida Lottery believe the public has a legitimate interest in knowing that prizes are in fact being awarded as advertised. By providing the information we are able to reinforce public confidence in the integrity of the Lottery and the Lottery’s games, and important goal for any public lottery. Fortunately, we find that most Lottery winners agree that they are not substantially inconvenienced and do not have their security interests compromised due to these disclosures.

Again, thank you for your interest and for writing the Florida Lottery.

Best regards,

FLORIDA LOTTERY CUSTOMER SERVICE

We all get a lot out of lotteries!

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
      Member #47420
      November 4, 2006
      3930 Posts
      Posted: January 21, 2010, 9:51 pm - IP Logged

Thanks myturn for this news...I use to live in Florida and played the lottery there when it stated in the 80's..Played it the first day it came out..We live in Ky and I have always told my wife if we ever hit big money we would have to move to a place that no one would know we hit..That's the way I think it should be done..To many horror story's after someone hits and stays in the same home or town..You gotta feel bad for the guy and his family unless he just got smart and is hiding out..You can afford to do that if you got millions..

WilliamJohns's avatar - Trek HAND3.gif
        Connecticut
        United States
        Member #83649
        December 12, 2009
        27 Posts
        Posted: January 21, 2010, 9:56 pm - IP Logged

I cannot remember the winners name, but there was a black guy in New York who won a fortune playing Mega Millions and they presented him with the check at a ceremony at Grand Central Station. It's a requirement in New York that they phograph the winner holding up the ceremonial check.  The gentleman who won was wearing the thickest sunglasses I had ever seen.  I doubt many people would recognize him.  They said as soon as they shot the photo he and his lawer rushed the rest of the formalities and he got the heck out of there immediately.  I think that's what I would do - I'll wear a hat that covers most of my head with a huge pair of sunglasses and then high-tail it out of there ASAP.  

I think in Connecticut (where I reside) they publish your name, the town where you're from, the game and amount , but I've noticed a few winners were able to bypass the photo-op.

Raven62's avatar - binary
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #17843
          June 28, 2005
          17937 Posts
          Posted: January 21, 2010, 9:59 pm - IP Logged

Thank you for your time.

What is the point of asking a question you already know the answer to?

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

United States
            Member #47420
            November 4, 2006
            3930 Posts
            Posted: January 21, 2010, 10:05 pm - IP Logged

Had a woman a few years back here in Ky who went to get her check or at least claim it..She said she would be back and good luck to everyone..I guess she took a long trip and had all the money taken care of..Never heard about her after that..Stay under cover or get out of town for life!...

ThatScaryChick's avatar - AbnSTiA

United States
              Member #56506
              November 21, 2007
              4659 Posts
              Posted: January 22, 2010, 12:15 am - IP Logged

I got the following reply......

Thank you for writing the Florida Lottery and expressing your viewpoint, however due to Florida’s strong public records laws, it requires the disclosure of Lottery winner’s names and cities or residence, as well as prize amount. Because the Florida Lottery in essence belongs to the citizens of Florida, the Florida Lottery believe the public has a legitimate interest in knowing that prizes are in fact being awarded as advertised. By providing the information we are able to reinforce public confidence in the integrity of the Lottery and the Lottery’s games, and important goal for any public lottery. Fortunately, we find that most Lottery winners agree that they are not substantially inconvenienced and do not have their security interests compromised due to these disclosures.

Again, thank you for your interest and for writing the Florida Lottery.

Best regards,

FLORIDA LOTTERY CUSTOMER SERVICE

Well, at least you know why they won't allow anonymity.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                Zeta Reticuli Star System
                United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                9111 Posts
                Posted: January 22, 2010, 12:44 am - IP Logged

I used to post this jokingly but I'm thinking it's an idea that really could work and do a lot of good,

The Jackpot Winners Protection Program

Representatives would apper for the press conference and be "middle persons" for all contact with the winners.

For states that insist on divulging the winner's names, amounts, and towns, the address of the program would be the only thing provided.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

LadyMylena's avatar - avatar6 1.jpg
                  Kansas
                  United States
                  Member #83963
                  December 19, 2009
                  347 Posts
                  Posted: January 22, 2010, 12:49 am - IP Logged

I used to post this jokingly but I'm thinking it's an idea that really could work and do a lot of good,

Representatives would apper for the press conference and be "middle persons" for all contact with the winners.

For states that insist on divulging the winner's names, amounts, and towns, the address of the program would be the only thing provided.

That sounds like a wonderful idea, Coin. Thankfully, I'm in one of the few states that don't have to worry about it (and hope I never do), but I really think you're on to something, there.

Luck is  ** believing  ** you're lucky.” ~Tennessee Williams

Money is neither my god nor my devil. It is a form of energy that tends to make us more of who we already are, whether it's greedy or loving.  ~ Dan Millman

United States
                    Member #83701
                    December 13, 2009
                    225 Posts
                    Posted: January 22, 2010, 4:16 am - IP Logged

There was a 64 million dollar winner in Texas listed as "A B Revocable Living Trust", apparently a type of trust used to minimize estate taxes by splitting marital assets into shares for each partner.   It would appear that the legal entities created by trusts and incorporation can be used to put a corporate veil between the winners and the public.   In such situations, the winners are not anonymous, it's just that the beneficiaries of the legal entities that won are obfuscated and not widely publicized.

If you won, I think a visit to an attorney is in order to protect your anonymity or at least the benefits of anonymity.

Raven62's avatar - binary
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #17843
                      June 28, 2005
                      17937 Posts
                      Posted: January 22, 2010, 8:27 am - IP Logged

They could air the show on the Lottery Channel.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

United States
                        Member #47420
                        November 4, 2006
                        3930 Posts
                        Posted: January 22, 2010, 8:38 am - IP Logged

They have a Lottery channel?..I never heard of one but that would be great..

Insight's avatar - phant
                          Texas
                          United States
                          Member #85742
                          January 22, 2010
                          2 Posts
                          Posted: January 22, 2010, 2:55 pm - IP Logged

Thank you for your time.

WTG...I hope the people at the top read your letter.

United States
                            Member #80450
                            September 27, 2009
                            56 Posts
                            Posted: January 22, 2010, 5:57 pm - IP Logged

I would just do what needs to be done and get the hell out of town...the devil is in the details...which most people forget. If you play the lottery do some research have all the things you need so when you do win you are not caught with your pants down.

I just hope winners use commonsense...if they actually have any.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                              Zeta Reticuli Star System
                              United States
                              Member #30470
                              January 17, 2006
                              9111 Posts
                              Posted: January 22, 2010, 6:16 pm - IP Logged

There was a 64 million dollar winner in Texas listed as "A B Revocable Living Trust", apparently a type of trust used to minimize estate taxes by splitting marital assets into shares for each partner.   It would appear that the legal entities created by trusts and incorporation can be used to put a corporate veil between the winners and the public.   In such situations, the winners are not anonymous, it's just that the beneficiaries of the legal entities that won are obfuscated and not widely publicized.

If you won, I think a visit to an attorney is in order to protect your anonymity or at least the benefits of anonymity.

This kind of thing has been discussed here. It depends on the state, but in many even forming a trust isn't total protection because who is in the trust is a matter of public record.

People wouod have to make the effort to dig out the information, but it would be available. You can bet there would be people who would just have to know, too.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.