Welcome Guest
The time is now 2:50 am
You last visited November 1, 2014, 2:34 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What Should I do--Quit Playing?

Topic closed. 38 replies. Last post 5 years ago by ricperkins.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
GA
United States
Member #88070
March 9, 2010
5 Posts
Posted: March 10, 2010, 4:20 am - IP Logged

I have been playing the lottery now for about 12 years, and so far, I have NEVER won anything substantial. I play Fantasy 5 everyday, Mega Millions twice a week, and with the Power Ball in now in Georgia, I am all over the Power Ball, too.

So far, I have NEVER won anything. It has been twelve years now, and I am beginning to wonder whether I should quit or stay in the fight. What should I do? Quit? Stay in the number's game?

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
    Indiana
    United States
    Member #48725
    January 7, 2007
    1841 Posts
    Posted: March 10, 2010, 4:40 am - IP Logged

I have been playing the lottery now for about 12 years, and so far, I have NEVER won anything substantial. I play Fantasy 5 everyday, Mega Millions twice a week, and with the Power Ball in now in Georgia, I am all over the Power Ball, too.

So far, I have NEVER won anything. It has been twelve years now, and I am beginning to wonder whether I should quit or stay in the fight. What should I do? Quit? Stay in the number's game?

Firstly, never spend more than you can afford to lose, and chances are you will lose. After all, the odds are against you. Don't expect to win much, but keep in mind that you can't win if you don't play. Even if it's a dollar, that's all it takes. You never know when it could be you that will win the jackpot. If you would like to get more entertainment out of playing the lottery, try coming up with your own system. Look at past results and see if you can come up with a strategy to improve your odds. That's what I do and I have more fun playing the lottery that way.

Gonna win.Big Smile

CA
      United States
      Member #84266
      December 26, 2009
      410 Posts
      Posted: March 10, 2010, 5:19 am - IP Logged

If you don't have a set of lucky numbers for each game then quit or play less often. If you have numbers that you always play then don't ever look at the lottery results because if it hits you'll kick yourself.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
        United States
        Member #73904
        April 28, 2009
        14903 Posts
        Posted: March 10, 2010, 6:03 am - IP Logged

If it's not fun for you then stop.

If it's a money thing (affording it) then just play the minimum to have a shot and increase it only when you start getting lucky on the small prizes. It's just my opinion but I believe there is an ebb and flow to luck and you need to expose yourself to the flow when it's there.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

cheryl59's avatar - center
          Va Beach
          United States
          Member #46651
          September 20, 2006
          1826 Posts
          Posted: March 10, 2010, 6:13 am - IP Logged

If it's a money thing (affording it) then just play the minimum to have a shot and increase it only when you start getting lucky on the small prizes. It's just my opinion but I believe there is an ebb and flow to luck and you need to expose yourself to the flow when it's there.

I Concur!

CHERYL59Hippy

01-02-03-04-05

My Ultimate Pet numbers

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
            Zeta Reticuli Star System
            United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            9126 Posts
            Posted: March 10, 2010, 10:15 am - IP Logged

Lucky,

Your post above is probably true for 99.99% of lottery players, just change the number of years played.

Follow the advice given here, especially when rdgrnr said if it's not fun for you then don't play.

No one should ever play jackpot games assuming they are going to win. We hope to win, sure, we'd like to win, of course, but assuming a win is another story.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

hearsetrax's avatar - 78638c467ef281febf24383e126f74b6

United States
              Member #52345
              May 21, 2007
              1891 Posts
              Posted: March 10, 2010, 10:28 am - IP Logged

I Agree!

Twitch been playin for 20 years ...... been lucky enough to get my money back more then a few times

but its all in how ya look at it ......

one's luck is the same as the last twerp/s that won Roll Eyes

United States
                Member #75358
                June 1, 2009
                5350 Posts
                Posted: March 10, 2010, 12:16 pm - IP Logged
                  tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                  Member #47420
                  November 4, 2006
                  3930 Posts
                  Posted: March 10, 2010, 12:27 pm - IP Logged

If it's going to worry you to death or you feel guilty about it then quit..but if not then "play on"...

jrosina's avatar - k3 34.jpg
                    New York,
                    Panama
                    Member #73078
                    April 4, 2009
                    3482 Posts
                    Posted: March 10, 2010, 1:01 pm - IP Logged

Luckysaloneman,  This is for you, Rest if you must, But Don't you Quit!   You might quit just before you Hit!

DON'T QUIT!!! 

When things go wrong, as they sometimes will,
                    When the road you're trudging seems all uphill,
                    When the funds are low and the debts are high,
                    And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
                    When care is pressing you down a bit,
                    Rest, if you must, but don't you quit.

Life is queer with its twists and turns,
                    As every one of us sometimes learns,
                    And many a failure turns about,
                    When he might have won had he stuck it out;
                    Don't give up though the pace seems slow--
                    You may succeed with another blow.

Often the goal is nearer than,
                    It seems to a faint and faltering man,
                    Often the struggler has given up,
                    When he might have captured the victor's cup,
                    And he learned too late when the night slipped down,
                    How close he was to the golden crown.

Success is failure turned inside out--
                    The silver tint of the clouds of doubt,
                    And you never can tell how close you are,
                    It may be near when it seems so far,
                    So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit--
                    It's when things seem worst that you must not quit.

- Author unknown

forget what "they" say about youWhat you say about you?...

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

sully16's avatar - sharan
                      Listens to the wind
                      Michigan
                      United States
                      Member #81740
                      October 28, 2009
                      20080 Posts
                      Posted: March 10, 2010, 1:46 pm - IP Logged

Take the 12 week challenge, put all your gambling money in the bank for 12 weeks, after 12 weeks your surprised and happy rethink your decision, see how you feel after 12 weeks of not gambling. in the mean time everyone else find a 12 combo for tonight.

There's only one US Flag

United States
                        Member #54390
                        August 17, 2007
                        313 Posts
                        Posted: March 10, 2010, 2:44 pm - IP Logged

To still have fun:

Just spend $2 a week on lottery.. only play jackpot games to make it exciting.  I spend $2 on Mega Millions every week.

lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                          CA
                          United States
                          Member #57222
                          December 23, 2007
                          587 Posts
                          Posted: March 10, 2010, 3:36 pm - IP Logged

If you don't have a set of lucky numbers for each game then quit or play less often. If you have numbers that you always play then don't ever look at the lottery results because if it hits you'll kick yourself.

I agree with Badyboy00z

If you have been playing the same set for 12 years then don't quit.   YOu'll really feel bad WHEN they hit. I you have been playing just random number or QPs then I say let it go and count your losses.

I have been winning enough small amounts in the 2 years that i have been playing to  make me feel that my numbers will eventually come up.  Even though the economy has drastically altered my playing amounts, I still play my standard single line for both Fantasy and Super.

I think about the amount of money i used to blow on soda and chips and magazines that after  an hour on reading ending up in the garbage that I have now put into lotto.  This money would have been gone anyway.

Maybe it would help to look at in a different perspective?   I always say this,  when I think of what my friend spends on cigaretts everyday ( pack a day smoker)  then I am  okay with playing lotto.

CA
                            United States
                            Member #84266
                            December 26, 2009
                            410 Posts
                            Posted: March 10, 2010, 6:44 pm - IP Logged

How much are you spending a week? At least $11 for the 3 games that you play right? IMO that's not bad considering people spend more than that on Starbucks/ Coffee Bean coffee. But if you're spending $20 or more and not breaking even or at least get back half then I would say stop playing or just play MM twice a week and only spend $2.

If you were playing F5 everyday for 12 years, you have already spent over $4300 and that's if you only bought 1 ticket/ 1 line per day.

One can play MM their whole lives and not win the Jackpot.

There are 175,711,536 possible combinations in MM with 2 draws per week.

So far there has been 492 draws.

Assuming that the combinations never repeat, that leaves 175,711,044 combinations left.

Divide that by 2 (draws) and we get 87,855,522 weeks.

Divide that by 52 weeks we get 1,689,529.269 years until all combinations have been played. The Human race will be gone LONG before that happens.

Lets say you live until you're 85 years old. It would take you 19,876.1493 life times for all the combinations to hit.

It really puts things into perspective but at the same time there has been 109 JP tickets sold since 2002 and a winner every 31 days on average for the past year.

Dollar419's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
                              Santa Ana
                              United States
                              Member #71159
                              February 20, 2009
                              651 Posts
                              Posted: March 10, 2010, 7:14 pm - IP Logged

Please don't quit---I've played a lot longer than you and I'm not about to give up!!DanceBy all means, stay in the fight--I know it can be frustrusting especially when you heard of certain lottery players who play and it the big jackpot right away-i.e. beginner's luck--but keep in mind the very second/minute you stop playing or give up, that is when your numbers will definitely come in--KEEP ON TRUCKING AND BELIEVING!!!Hurray!