Welcome Guest
The time is now 5:16 am
You last visited July 22, 2014, 5:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Scratch Off serial #'s

Topic closed. 5 replies. Last post 4 years ago by TheOtherOne.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #88903
March 25, 2010
35 Posts
Posted: March 25, 2010, 8:12 pm - IP Logged

Hello, I am new to this forum and want to get input from amateur scratch off'rs,

I only play $20 and $10 dollar scratch tickets ever since I got hooked from winning over $10,000 on a ticket last year.

I have noticed that the serial numbers on the lottery tickets may be the clue and this may be the reason why some (mostly store clerks or store owners) have won big amounts and also big winners can come back and win a second time.  I have had a chance to look at a copy of $1 million dollar scratch off ticket in my state on the same game I won on and I was in shock when I saw it for the fact the serial number matched my winning ticket and not only did the serial number match but the ticket # matched also.

i.e my winning ticket had (this is a different number from the real one)  1062-09-14 and the winning $1 million ticket on the same game had 1062-09-14   (1062-09 (is serial number)-14 (is game #) in my state)

Serial numbers can go up from 00 to 91 (is the highest ive seen)

I have heard some states have made any ticket over $10,000 on all the same serial numbers (like 09) and the ticket number (14) so they know the ticket is not counterfiet or a mistake, and also my ticket and the $1 million copy I saw had a number 6 on the backside of the ticket next to the boarder I guess this is also for counterfiet purposes.

Anyone think this is could be??? I try not to play any scratch off unless the serial number is 10 or below. most are 40 and higher..

Best of luck everyone.. :)

United States
    Member #75358
    June 1, 2009
    5350 Posts
    Posted: March 25, 2010, 8:40 pm - IP Logged

You say you try not to play any scratch off unless the serial number is 10 or below. So what do you do if it isn't 10 or below, give it back to the clerk and say you want another ticket? Is that even allowed? Maybe one or two would be acceptable by the clerk, but I think after rejecting the 4th or 5th ticket or more, the clerk would tell you to take a hike, unless you knew the clerk personally. But then another question arises. When someone else asks for a ticket in the same game, wouldn't they want to see the clerk peel it off of the roll and not be given the few that were already ripped off the roll? I mean at some point the clerk has to sell those loose tickets.

United States
      Member #88903
      March 25, 2010
      35 Posts
      Posted: March 25, 2010, 9:34 pm - IP Logged

Just ask the clerk... What number is the game you want on? they will all know this and tell you say it's on #4 then ask whats the serial number which would be 1062-20-04... most clerks may or may not know and you have to say its the two numbers to the left of the game number and at most 7-11's they can pull the rack out and even show you before you buy, but if all this fails just buy one and see for yourself and if its not the serial number roll your looking for then just pray you get your money back.

But if lets say you do find the right roll your looking for that you know from experience is a good serial number in that state the chances of you still finding the big money ticket is still rare but the odds go way down for the lottery, just because say you know serial number 09 is the big money roll the lottery may print at least 1000 book rolls printed under that serial roll.....  simply the game is designed for you to lose and if you do play high dollar scratch tickets you may win $500 to $1000 (after spending way more then that on the game already most of the time) and then hell you will just buy 1000 more scratch tickets and in the end the lottery is laughing...  It's a fun game to play if your not blowing your weekly income on lottery tickets but in the end just remember the lottery always will 98.8% win!!!!  So play safe people and just know your odds,  I always look at it as you have three tractor trailers stuffed with rolls of scratch tickets but only one of those trailers have all the big $10,000 and over tickets but that one trailor is also stuffed with 10's of thousands of rolls that are short change and dudds, now you still want to blow a new car or house playing my game over the course of a year?

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
        Chief Bottle Washer
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #1
        May 31, 2000
        21430 Posts
        Posted: March 25, 2010, 9:47 pm - IP Logged

<Moved to Instant ("Scratch-Off") Games forum>

Please post in the appropriate forum ... thank you.

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
          Chicago
          United States
          Member #70678
          February 8, 2009
          889 Posts
          Posted: March 25, 2010, 9:47 pm - IP Logged

I've never seen anyone ask what the serial number is but I have seen people ask what the ticket number is and then not purchase the ticket.

This would be interesting for the people who play scratchers on a regular basis to keep track of the numbers on their winning tickets.

TheOtherOne's avatar - Lottery-027.jpg
            Nashville, TN
            United States
            Member #86740
            February 9, 2010
            478 Posts
            Posted: April 17, 2010, 1:37 am - IP Logged

Well first of all congrats on winning the 10k (If I am reading that right)!

I am thiniking maybe on your cards, like you said the 14 is the game number an dmaybe that 09 is the ticket number. Seems like the 1062 is the roll number, which would be totally unique to just that one store.

For example in TN, I will use the $20 game of TN Millionaire's club. on the back of the card is 215-654321-000.

215 = game number so this is on the back of any and all TN millionaire club tickets

654321 = would be the roll number. only 15 tickets will have this and they will all be right there on that particular roll.

000 is the ticket number which means it is 000 of 015.

Now this number sequence is visible directly on the back of the card.

On the front of the card is I guess the serial number? U have to actually scratch the card to see it. it is a 10 digit number that is totally random.

So I hope it's different with yours and you are on to something, but from what you say this is how I bet it is.