Welcome Guest
The time is now 1:24 am
You last visited October 21, 2014, 1:17 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

scratching the barcode first?

Topic closed. 22 replies. Last post 5 years ago by Tenaj.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
cincinnati
United States
Member #84674
January 2, 2010
66 Posts
Posted: March 28, 2010, 1:44 pm - IP Logged

Has anyone else done this just scratching the bar code first and checking to see if its a winner if its a winner i'll then scractch the whole ticket to see how much I won, if it's not a winner I just throw the ticket away without scratching the rest of the ticket. anyone else here do this just wondering thanks.

swampfox's avatar - animal041
    SC Low Country
    United States
    Member #75803
    June 12, 2009
    925 Posts
    Posted: March 28, 2010, 1:48 pm - IP Logged

I've noticed people do that...How do u know if it's a winner from the barcode?

"All men of power ought to be mistrusted." - James Madison

"While we are contending for our own liberty, we should be very cautious not to violate the rights of conscience in others, ever considering that God alone is the judge of the hearts of men, and to him only, in this case, they are answerable." - George Washington...  SwampFoxShocked Courage is looking danger in the face & saddling up anyway...John Wayne

cincinnati
      United States
      Member #84674
      January 2, 2010
      66 Posts
      Posted: March 28, 2010, 2:18 pm - IP Logged

the Stores have machines now where you can scan the barcode and it tells you if its a winner or not.

Raven62's avatar - binary
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #17843
        June 28, 2005
        17937 Posts
        Posted: March 28, 2010, 3:51 pm - IP Logged

the Stores have machines now where you can scan the barcode and it tells you if its a winner or not.

The Scanners here are for Scanning Lottery Tickets not Scratch-Off Tickets: You might be throwing out Winners! Thud

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

swampfox's avatar - animal041
          SC Low Country
          United States
          Member #75803
          June 12, 2009
          925 Posts
          Posted: March 28, 2010, 4:27 pm - IP Logged

I was told you can tell if it's winner by the letters that are on the tickets while scratching....know I've found lots of tickets that weren't scratched all the way, and they were not winners...

"All men of power ought to be mistrusted." - James Madison

"While we are contending for our own liberty, we should be very cautious not to violate the rights of conscience in others, ever considering that God alone is the judge of the hearts of men, and to him only, in this case, they are answerable." - George Washington...  SwampFoxShocked Courage is looking danger in the face & saddling up anyway...John Wayne

cincinnati
            United States
            Member #84674
            January 2, 2010
            66 Posts
            Posted: March 28, 2010, 5:06 pm - IP Logged

Our scanners accept scratch offs and lottery tickets :-) I would never throw away a winner

luckyshoes's avatar - Lottery-001.jpg
              Pennsylvania
              United States
              Member #79502
              September 2, 2009
              5197 Posts
              Posted: March 28, 2010, 5:16 pm - IP Logged

I was behind a lady today who would not buy a scratch ticket until she saw the back of it

something about lines on it?    anyone heard of that ???     seemed like she looked under the bar code

on the back of the ticket..............

United States
                Member #88903
                March 25, 2010
                35 Posts
                Posted: March 28, 2010, 6:57 pm - IP Logged

I was behind a lady today who would not buy a scratch ticket until she saw the back of it

something about lines on it?    anyone heard of that ???     seemed like she looked under the bar code

on the back of the ticket..............

So what does she do go to every store and ask to look at the back of the ticket?  She has no idea what she is looking for with those "lines" yes, some states have a very small marking on the back of the ticket on big winning tickets but they do this for counterfeit purposes and only a select few know about the markings they are using and they may change the markings every year or so.  I hope she is willing to look at over 10 million + tickets and im sure the clerks get pissed when she refuses to buy after they peel it off the roll. 

Another thing most people dont know is that when a grand prize ticket is printed (anything over $100,000 (in most states) a lottery official must be present during the printing of the book, then they will verify the ticket is got no errors on it (i.e. the computer didnt print out two big grand prize winners by accident on the same roll) make sure the serial number matches and make sure the ticket # matches there records and then they will put a small marking on the back of the ticket that even Season scratchers wouldnt even be able to tell, so this way when someone claims it and the official who was there during the printing of the ticket looks at the ticket and knows its not counterfeit or there was not an error.

Good luck and please play safe! See Ya!

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                  Chicago
                  United States
                  Member #70678
                  February 8, 2009
                  889 Posts
                  Posted: March 28, 2010, 6:58 pm - IP Logged

Has anyone else done this just scratching the bar code first and checking to see if its a winner if its a winner i'll then scractch the whole ticket to see how much I won, if it's not a winner I just throw the ticket away without scratching the rest of the ticket. anyone else here do this just wondering thanks.

I don't scratch off the barcode unless it's a winner. Also I don't scratch off the winning amount unless it's a winner.

I would be careful doing this because in other threads members have posted that in some states the coding is different for the bigger winners.

luckyshoes's avatar - Lottery-001.jpg
                    Pennsylvania
                    United States
                    Member #79502
                    September 2, 2009
                    5197 Posts
                    Posted: March 28, 2010, 7:44 pm - IP Logged

So what does she do go to every store and ask to look at the back of the ticket?  She has no idea what she is looking for with those "lines" yes, some states have a very small marking on the back of the ticket on big winning tickets but they do this for counterfeit purposes and only a select few know about the markings they are using and they may change the markings every year or so.  I hope she is willing to look at over 10 million + tickets and im sure the clerks get pissed when she refuses to buy after they peel it off the roll. 

Another thing most people dont know is that when a grand prize ticket is printed (anything over $100,000 (in most states) a lottery official must be present during the printing of the book, then they will verify the ticket is got no errors on it (i.e. the computer didnt print out two big grand prize winners by accident on the same roll) make sure the serial number matches and make sure the ticket # matches there records and then they will put a small marking on the back of the ticket that even Season scratchers wouldnt even be able to tell, so this way when someone claims it and the official who was there during the printing of the ticket looks at the ticket and knows its not counterfeit or there was not an error.

Good luck and please play safe! See Ya!

Wow  thats interesting.....I didnt know that.....   Yeah that clerk didnt know what she meant by --the line-- ?

And she didnt buy the ticket either so  she wasnt  happy bout that.   And I always check  my own tickets

--not too trusting of the clerks after whats been said on LP...... BUYER BEWARE, RIGHT?    LOL

good luck everyone     : )

United States
                      Member #88903
                      March 25, 2010
                      35 Posts
                      Posted: March 28, 2010, 10:17 pm - IP Logged

Wow  thats interesting.....I didnt know that.....   Yeah that clerk didnt know what she meant by --the line-- ?

And she didnt buy the ticket either so  she wasnt  happy bout that.   And I always check  my own tickets

--not too trusting of the clerks after whats been said on LP...... BUYER BEWARE, RIGHT?    LOL

good luck everyone     : )

I know of a clerk at 7-11 who is spending 2 years in prison for trying to steal a cash 5 ticket, rang it up and said it was only $2 dollar ticket, come to find out the customer only wanted to see the clerks reaction and give him money for selling him the winning ticket when he heard it was only $2 dollars he asked for his ticket back and had a struggle doing it, the lottery investigated it, they got him on audio and video, come to find out he put a $2 dollar ticket next to the counter cause they knew they sold a big ticket and if the person came in they were ready...

Im sure the clerk got alot of time to think about that one...

Play safe everyone! See Ya!

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                        Chicago
                        United States
                        Member #70678
                        February 8, 2009
                        889 Posts
                        Posted: March 28, 2010, 11:07 pm - IP Logged

I know of a clerk at 7-11 who is spending 2 years in prison for trying to steal a cash 5 ticket, rang it up and said it was only $2 dollar ticket, come to find out the customer only wanted to see the clerks reaction and give him money for selling him the winning ticket when he heard it was only $2 dollars he asked for his ticket back and had a struggle doing it, the lottery investigated it, they got him on audio and video, come to find out he put a $2 dollar ticket next to the counter cause they knew they sold a big ticket and if the person came in they were ready...

Im sure the clerk got alot of time to think about that one...

Play safe everyone! See Ya!

WOW! Good thing the customer knew what his ticket was worth!

ThatScaryChick's avatar - AbnSTiA

United States
                          Member #56506
                          November 21, 2007
                          4657 Posts
                          Posted: March 29, 2010, 12:56 am - IP Logged

I would never throw away a ticket without scratching the whole thing off first. You risk throwing at a ticket that could be a winner.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Atlanta, GA
                            United States
                            Member #1265
                            March 13, 2003
                            3326 Posts
                            Posted: March 29, 2010, 11:56 am - IP Logged

I Agree!

Good luck to everyone!

United States
                              Member #83701
                              December 13, 2009
                              225 Posts
                              Posted: April 4, 2010, 12:48 am - IP Logged

I tried that once and found it very unsatisfying, so much that I took the tickets home and scratched them there even though I already knew they had lost.