Welcome Guest
The time is now 9:41 am
You last visited September 1, 2014, 9:35 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Does buying a whole roll of scrachers work?

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 4 years ago by shaun.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Montara, CA
United States
Member #92595
June 10, 2010
18 Posts
Posted: June 13, 2010, 12:13 am - IP Logged

I've been buying whole entire rolls of scratchers and not have gotten that much luck.  The amount I get back never comes close to the amount that I spent.  Is buy an entire roll of scratchers a good strategy? What do you guys think or what has your experience been like?

Thanks,

GinkoStinko

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    17836 Posts
    Posted: June 13, 2010, 12:17 am - IP Logged

The amount I get back never comes close to the amount that I spent. 

Looks like you've answered your question.

* you don't need more tickets, just the right ticket * 
    * your best chance to win a lottery jackpot is to buy a ticket * 
        Wink 

United States
      Member #75358
      June 1, 2009
      5350 Posts
      Posted: June 13, 2010, 12:36 am - IP Logged

I've been buying whole entire rolls of scratchers and not have gotten that much luck.  The amount I get back never comes close to the amount that I spent.  Is buy an entire roll of scratchers a good strategy? What do you guys think or what has your experience been like?

Thanks,

GinkoStinko

You ask how good is it....It all depends what you compare it to. It's all relative....relativity...Einstein...remember?

Compared to the least odds like a P-3 game, 1,000 to 1, it stinks. Scratchers are worst off than a P-3 game. To win $500 bucks in a scratch game is like thousands to one or more If i remember correctly.... Really bad odds.

Play the Pick-3 game instead.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        9027 Posts
        Posted: June 13, 2010, 12:54 am - IP Logged

Nothing says the biggest prize on any scratcher ticket on a roll is going to pay more than the price of buying a roll. Or that the total prizes on a roll will.

Most states list the top three prizes for scratchers, how many paid and how many still unpaid. There is no telling where those prizes go and there aren't really that many of them.

Here's the Illinois $2 Win For Life as an example:

Top prize: $50,000 year

Total: 6

Unpaid: 5

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

pattyk's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
          Williamstown, NY
          United States
          Member #82142
          November 7, 2009
          334 Posts
          Posted: June 13, 2010, 12:58 am - IP Logged

Here in NY, the ticket rolls only have 30% in winnings, but since Patterson has been our Gov., the 30% seems to still be there, but the prizes won are mostly the smaller prizes. ---I've been in retail management for 17 years, and sell these tickets, I know what I see comming back, definately not what it was 2 years ago!!!!!

United States
            Member #91315
            May 15, 2010
            141 Posts
            Posted: June 13, 2010, 7:44 am - IP Logged

Thanks,

GinkoStinko

No it does not help. If you do it just do it for the thrill (entertainment) which is boring to me.

I used to buy scratcher a couple here and there not real fan about 7 years ago and I did get a couple 500. With Jumobucks 2.ticket Winner right!!!

That is the normal way to play and won!

Then around the same year I got a birthdate present from my girlfriend guess what I got.

Jumbobucks2.ticket!!!! My girlfriend asked the store clerk to give her what was left from the roll, about 60 tickets. I thought that was insane to have all those tickets at one time. (Got tire scratching)

Guess how much I won……. Nothing, Nada probably 10 bucks or can’t remember exactly and free tickets.

Like joker17 said you’re better off playing p3. I said P3 Lol not ps3 u won’t make money. Simple because you can control the outcome, I may be a new member, but I’m not new at this stuff. A lot of us in Lp family hit straight very often. I don’t need proof of this simple because if I can do it I’m sure there is a lot other members that can too hit very often yes we have control of the outcome. Think about it

Ma$termind

If you want God to laugh, tell him your plans!

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
              Chief Bottle Washer
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #1
              May 31, 2000
              21506 Posts
              Posted: June 13, 2010, 8:21 am - IP Logged

<Moved to Instant ("Scratch-Off") Games forum>

Please post in the appropriate forum ... thank you.

OHIO
                United States
                Member #4164
                March 27, 2004
                10852 Posts
                Posted: June 13, 2010, 8:30 am - IP Logged

Thanks,

GinkoStinko

I wondered the same thing to myself one day while standing in line to play a few numbers one day, I do know that some states are more profitable then others, while visiting Ga...one year for a family reunion I saw some people doing it with some Jumbo bucks tickets and do pretty good, but I think it's all a chance and luck combined.....Confused

"I am what I am by the grace of God."

Kitfany

http://www.ohiolottery.com/

grandmadec's avatar - Lottery-018.jpg
                  Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #29819
                  January 7, 2006
                  1116 Posts
                  Posted: June 13, 2010, 12:42 pm - IP Logged

It is not better to buy a whole book.  The lottery in Ohio pays approximately half of what the book is worth unless you have the one that is the exception with the large winner.  They are in it to make money!  You are better off buying a few at a time!!

CutlassBob's avatar - Sphere animated2.gif
                    Harrison Township Michigan
                    United States
                    Member #90090
                    April 21, 2010
                    4005 Posts
                    Posted: June 13, 2010, 12:50 pm - IP Logged

You ask how good is it....It all depends what you compare it to. It's all relative....relativity...Einstein...remember?

Compared to the least odds like a P-3 game, 1,000 to 1, it stinks. Scratchers are worst off than a P-3 game. To win $500 bucks in a scratch game is like thousands to one or more If i remember correctly.... Really bad odds.

Play the Pick-3 game instead.

I pretty much gave up scratch-off and play P-3, Now i find myself scratching my head saying why didn't i play that number, it was right in front of my face.

CutlassBob

“Everyone must know their limitations...then defy them!” 
                     Me

Tnplayer805's avatar - G 14_v78828750_Small.JPG
                      North Dakota
                      United States
                      Member #13397
                      April 5, 2005
                      1623 Posts
                      Posted: June 13, 2010, 1:19 pm - IP Logged

Only if you are buying a book for entertainment purposes.  If I buy a book I try to pick the tickets with the best payouts.  (i.e. $10 and $20 tickets)  I don't expect to win my money back, again entertainment purposes... However, a little bit a knowledge will go a long way.  Don't be afraid to do research on complete odds for prizes.  For example, in Florida I play the $20 Gold Rush tickets.  The overall odds suggest a $50 or $100 winner in every pack.  And $500 prize of 1:175...  That beats out all other $20 tickets (most ranging from 1:200-1:600).  If buying a book you increase you odds a little more.  If you get lucky and get the book with a $500 winner you've made a profit...  more so if you hit the one holding a $500 and $100 prize.  Don't be afraid to look around and figure out which is best for you.  I know in Cali, the highest priced ticket is only a five dollar ticket.  That's a bit surprising and a little outdated but it is what it is.  GOOD LUCK!!

How are you going to win if you don't play?

four4me's avatar - gate1
                        MD
                        United States
                        Member #1701
                        June 18, 2003
                        7849 Posts
                        Posted: June 13, 2010, 1:30 pm - IP Logged

Thanks,

GinkoStinko

They print more than 20 million dollars worth of scratchers for every game. You could buy a thousand rolls and still not win the 1st tier prize. Then again you could buy just one ticket and win the top prize.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
                          ONEDAY's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
                          OHIO
                          United States
                          Member #5328
                          June 30, 2004
                          1284 Posts
                          Posted: June 14, 2010, 10:29 pm - IP Logged

well, I never bought a whole roll but 80 tickets out of 100...($2 bingos) and just broke even..

my winnings were like this:

1-$25 ticket

2 -$19 tickets

2- $14 tickets

3- $10 Tickets

3-$7 tickets

3-$4 tickets

5-$2 tickets

have a great winning day!

FLATRANSPLANT's avatar - yocco
                            South Florida
                            United States
                            Member #71280
                            February 22, 2009
                            11910 Posts
                            Posted: June 14, 2010, 10:56 pm - IP Logged

Here isn Florida, a few weeks ago, this women bought the first ticket on a $20 lucky for like scratch off and won $5,000 bucks - the women at the store told me most of the winners from her store usually come in the first 5 tickets.  I haven't been that lucky but when I do buy one from a new roll I usually win my money back.  It's luck and being at the right place at the right time.  Don't know if I would buy an entire roll though unless I had money to throw away.......it's a gamble.  8-)

atlanta,ga
                              United States
                              Member #87730
                              March 2, 2010
                              43 Posts
                              Posted: June 15, 2010, 8:45 pm - IP Logged

Well i was talked into doin this for the first time by my cousin on my birthday. We were lucky and were given a roll with a $500 prize on a ticket.

I knew that it was luck, but my cousin was all but convinced it was a winning strategy. I agreed to give back my share in order to prove to him it

ws nuthin more than luck. That night we bought 5 rolls, and the next day 5 more. these were all the same game "$2 jumbo bucks" from the ga

lottery. What i noticed is the payout was somewhere in the neighborhood of 75% - 80%. We paid $300 for each roll and would get back between

$190 - $220 through out the course of a roll. I do however think tht buying 10 at a time ($20) is somewhat of a strategy since most of the winnings

fell within tht range.