Welcome Guest
The time is now 6:14 pm
You last visited August 30, 2014, 6:14 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Scratch Off Strategy

Topic closed. 54 replies. Last post 4 years ago by CarHauler.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
GM1258's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
Lake Winola, PA.
United States
Member #92376
June 5, 2010
22 Posts
Posted: June 22, 2010, 12:55 am - IP Logged

I'm new here so thanks for all the input.

Anyway, I thought I'd share a scratcher ticket theory thats worked well for me here in PA.

Go to the "winners circle" link on your state lottery website.

Click on Instant Game Winners.

Therein you will see an actual list of the winners, their home town, and sometimes the name

of the store that sold the winning tickets.

After going over the list you may determine a distribution pattern for certain games in certain areas.

For example, in the PA. "$1000 a Week For Life" game you see that most winners are from towns

along the PA turnpike and I-79 (not all but most).

For whatever reason the boys at lottery headquarters never change the distribution pattern of

this game and most of the jackpot winners come from those traffic lanes.

You can see other dist. patterns in other games as well.

Also, the biggest winning tickets seem to be at the end of the roll.

I mean the last five or six tickets on the roll have usually brought me luck.

I dunno why they just have.

Another tip is to look for a four color registration mark of _  at the bottom of the ticket.

Not a + mark (as many have) but a _ mark along the bottom edge at left.

This is a good indication that the ticket is a winner of some sort.

It could be $2, $5, $40, or higher - maybe even the jackpot.

I recently stopped for gas at local station whereupon I noticed a game that was at the end of the roll.

About six tickets were left at $2.00 apiece.

I asked the clerk to pull them out so I could look them over.

The last two had that _ mark at the bottom.

As they can't break them up I had to take all six to get the two I wanted (cost $12.00).

Of those last two one hit for $500 and the other $1000!

Not a bad return on the $12.00 I put out.

I hope that helps everyone interested in scratcher games.

Best to all and Happy Winning!!

Philadelphia, PA
    United States
    Member #91810
    May 25, 2010
    9 Posts
    Posted: June 22, 2010, 11:03 am - IP Logged

Great couple of tips!  

I've been looking at the winner list here in PA as well....a LOT of data to comb through.

When I was pulling this data last year, I standardized all of the PDF files PA posted, scraped it out and put it into a Database.

In order to make that winners list, the person must have won over $1000 in a single game.

Once I got all of that data organized (which wasn't easy- either the person who creates the reports is totally incompetent OR they intentionally screw with the reports to make it difficult to scrape out & standardize).  Any way, after I got all of the data out, a buddy of mine helped me run some queries on the winner names & city locations & the number of times they won over the 4 years I had the data four.

The information was astounding:

The most frequent winner had won over 40+ times and claimed over $250K in winnings.

There were MANY winners (0ver 100) who had won more than 10 times.   This means these 100+ people have won more than $10,000 in instant games over a four year period.

So, I can definitely verify that there are distribution patterns just based on the top winner / frequent winner lists as you stated above.

My questions are:  

Are these people following a strategy? 

Are they cheating?

Do they know about your "_mark" theory?

Or are they just blowing a crap load of money playing the odds and losing a lot more than the $10,000 plus that they've won over the 4 years?

With regards to the distribution of the winning tickets, my challenge is "seeing' the patterns graphically....Are you using any mapping tools to apply the city to in order to see your the distribution patterns?

GM1258's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
      Lake Winola, PA.
      United States
      Member #92376
      June 5, 2010
      22 Posts
      Posted: June 22, 2010, 9:36 pm - IP Logged

With regard to a mapping strategy, I do have a PA map on my bulletin board that

I use to keep track of all jackpot winners during the life of a particular game.

My favorite scratcher games are the Cash For Life games.

I track those, and a couple of other favorites, on my map board.

I use different color pins for each game sticking the pin on the winners

home town or winning vendor.

When a game ends I magic mark the winning spots and start a new map.

I can then overlay maps from game to game and check for any patterns.

Its a rather crude but very effective tool to graph big winner locations.

With each of the games I track I have seen the same approximate distribution patterns.

There are a few variables but the games I track seem to follow the same traffic lanes

for high dollar winners.

Also, its a lot of work to stop the press and change plates for winning/losing tickets all the time.

To be cost effective I think the printer runs all the winning tickets at the same time so they tend

to all get lumped together and shipped out at the same time.

Hence the big winners tend to follow the same traffic lanes.

I can't say how many are following a given strategy or not.

I've only run across a few people that were hip to my "_mark" theory.

And I don't have any insight as to who could cheat the game system or how.

I e.mailed the lottery once and asked if anyone there knew where the jackpot tickets went to.

They said no and that its an entirely computerized process and tickets are shipped at random.

If so, why do the jackpot winners seem to follow a clear distribution pattern??

I also asked if they hide the jackpot tickets in a vault and ship them out last (so as to keep sales

going till the end of the game).

They denied this affirming that ALL tickets are shipped out when the game starts.

You can check the stats on the remaining prizes of any game to gauge this.

Well, that just about sums it up.

I can't think of any other tips but I'm all ears and open to any suggestions.

Like Gus always says, "Keep On Scratchin".

shagadelica's avatar - CA93UQCCCAW3WI1VCAMK24EUCAKIQC7CCAXCCUCYCA07O8ZDCA
        New Mexico
        United States
        Member #65204
        September 20, 2008
        662 Posts
        Posted: July 2, 2010, 12:55 am - IP Logged

Great information, but I have a question.  Which end of the roll 000, the beginning?

trophie wife's avatar - nw saucyelf.jpg

United States
          Member #93438
          June 29, 2010
          75 Posts
          Posted: July 2, 2010, 10:38 am - IP Logged

Anyway, I thought I'd share a scratcher ticket theory thats worked well for me here in PA.

Therein you will see an actual list of the winners, their home town, and sometimes the name

After going over the list you may determine a distribution pattern for certain games in certain areas.

For example, in the PA. "$1000 a Week For Life" game you see that most winners are from towns

For whatever reason the boys at lottery headquarters never change the distribution pattern of

Another tip is to look for a four color registration mark of _  at the bottom of the ticket.

I recently stopped for gas at local station whereupon I noticed a game that was at the end of the roll.

As they can't break them up I had to take all six to get the two I wanted (cost $12.00).

I've been trying to see what four color registration _mark you're referring to @ the bottom of the ticket. Evidently it's something obviuos that I'm overlooking. Have you noticed it on any other games lately?

Bronx, NY
            United States
            Member #78987
            August 25, 2009
            339 Posts
            Posted: July 2, 2010, 11:43 am - IP Logged

Wow good Info. Thank you for sharing with us.Wink..  I will be checking the (-) mark from now on..maybe I will have better luck with Scratch ticketsParty

Good LuckParty

~~*Wishing You All a Beautiful & Lucky Day*~~

Party 

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams".
            -- Eleanor Roosevelt 

~~*DOMINICAN*BEAUTY*~~

United States
              Member #93438
              June 29, 2010
              75 Posts
              Posted: July 2, 2010, 3:37 pm - IP Logged

Great information, but I have a question.  Which end of the roll 000, the beginning?

yes....000 is supposed to be the beginning but I've seen some retailers start with the end of the roll 1st.  On the last ticket there will be a small black box next to the number that endicate the end of the roll.

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
                Pennsylvania
                United States
                Member #74096
                May 2, 2009
                16224 Posts
                Posted: July 2, 2010, 4:41 pm - IP Logged

I have one tip....don't buy ticket 022. NEVER have I won ANYTHING on 022.

I'm not kidding.

Changing gears....this is fabulous information about instant tickets. I have a fabulous mind here in the Keystone state Big Smile who I've had

discussions with about instant tickets. He also has an interesting world of information that always informative, surprising and very

helpful.

OP...GREAT JOB ON YOUR BIG WINS ON THE LAST TWO TICKETS. I've found that to be true with smaller wins...do not write off the last of the roll,

there are sometimes 2 or 3 winners in a row...in graduating amounts also. $20 then $100 is not uncommon...or even $100 and $500 is not out

of the question either..I've had a - $400 winner at #029 (last ticket) and a higher one at #027...2 away from the end of the book. I think I should

have taken a chance with the remaining 2 but I'll never know now...they could have been nothing or at least one larger winner. $100 are all over

the place..today I had one at ticket number 075 on a $10 ticket.

One thing I've noticed is that some new $20 tickets seem to be teasers....the ones that come out with only 3 top prizes are junk..either I'm very

unlucky with those or they just don't do as well at release as many of the newer ones...Fantastic 5's were and still are very good....I've done well

on the $25 tickets and as a rule do not play $1 and $2 tickets and don't quite like the $3 tickets - UNLESS the bins are empty and have nothing

higher...then I'll buy 10 at a time. On the new releases, I've already won $100 on a $2 ticket at around ticket number 50. Another thing about

the new releases is that they compress the winning tickets....creating the illusion that - HEY WHAT A GREAT SET OF INSTANTS....it wears off,

usually after about 2 weeks.

THE LINES AND COLOR CODES ON THE BOTTOM OF THE TICKETS ARE VERY INTERESTING TO ME. I'll be looking into that and thank you for sharing

that with us.

United States
                  Member #93438
                  June 29, 2010
                  75 Posts
                  Posted: July 2, 2010, 5:15 pm - IP Logged

I'm not kidding.

Changing gears....this is fabulous information about instant tickets. I have a fabulous mind here in the Keystone state Big Smile who I've had

discussions with about instant tickets. He also has an interesting world of information that always informative, surprising and very

helpful.

OP...GREAT JOB ON YOUR BIG WINS ON THE LAST TWO TICKETS. I've found that to be true with smaller wins...do not write off the last of the roll,

there are sometimes 2 or 3 winners in a row...in graduating amounts also. $20 then $100 is not uncommon...or even $100 and $500 is not out

of the question either..I've had a - $400 winner at #029 (last ticket) and a higher one at #027...2 away from the end of the book. I think I should

have taken a chance with the remaining 2 but I'll never know now...they could have been nothing or at least one larger winner. $100 are all over

One thing I've noticed is that some new $20 tickets seem to be teasers....the ones that come out with only 3 top prizes are junk..either I'm very

unlucky with those or they just don't do as well at release as many of the newer ones...Fantastic 5's were and still are very good....I've done well

on the $25 tickets and as a rule do not play $1 and $2 tickets and don't quite like the $3 tickets - UNLESS the bins are empty and have nothing

higher...then I'll buy 10 at a time. On the new releases, I've already won $100 on a $2 ticket at around ticket number 50. Another thing about

the new releases is that they compress the winning tickets....creating the illusion that - HEY WHAT A GREAT SET OF INSTANTS....it wears off,

THE LINES AND COLOR CODES ON THE BOTTOM OF THE TICKETS ARE VERY INTERESTING TO ME. I'll be looking into that and thank you for sharing

that with us.

Thank's for that information dr65.  I have purchased several instant tickets today and still can't figure out where the the line and color codes are on the tickets...What?. I'm stumped!

Anyway you can help me figure it out?  I know he said on bottom lefthand side of the front of the ticket but I still don't get it.  Are they near the numbers of the barcodes?

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
                    Pennsylvania
                    United States
                    Member #74096
                    May 2, 2009
                    16224 Posts
                    Posted: July 2, 2010, 5:23 pm - IP Logged

I'll have to go out soon and see what he means. I never noticed any line - plus sign or other line on the ticket..in fact, I'm stumped too about the

color codes.

I thought he meant on the front of the ticket, near the bottom? Maybe I read it wrong.

I hope he can come back soon and explain just where we can look for these markings.

Big Smile

grandmadec's avatar - Lottery-018.jpg
                      Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #29819
                      January 7, 2006
                      1116 Posts
                      Posted: July 2, 2010, 5:39 pm - IP Logged

I think he means where the tickets are perforated between the tickets I think you can also find it on the back bottom of the ticket also.  Sometimes it is a black line and other times it is in color, like Ohio had a $5 Sapphire 7 green ticket and the lines were green.  After talking to people it seems the lines are spaced evenly throughout the book, the line looks like L  sometimes or sometimes __ it is in the very corner of tickets at bottom.  Don't know what they mean or why they are there but they are not on every ticket.  I had had some winners with these tickets but more losers than winners so I really don't know that it means much?  They come spaced out like maybe every 7 tickets or so.  Anyone else know what these lines mean?  They also are not on every kind of ticket.  I have never seen them on Bingo or Cashword.

United States
                        Member #93438
                        June 29, 2010
                        75 Posts
                        Posted: July 2, 2010, 5:45 pm - IP Logged

I think he means where the tickets are perforated between the tickets I think you can also find it on the back bottom of the ticket also.  Sometimes it is a black line and other times it is in color, like Ohio had a $5 Sapphire 7 green ticket and the lines were green.  After talking to people it seems the lines are spaced evenly throughout the book, the line looks like L  sometimes or sometimes __ it is in the very corner of tickets at bottom.  Don't know what they mean or why they are there but they are not on every ticket.  I had had some winners with these tickets but more losers than winners so I really don't know that it means much?  They come spaced out like maybe every 7 tickets or so.  Anyone else know what these lines mean?  They also are not on every kind of ticket.  I have never seen them on Bingo or Cashword.

Gotch"! Thank's grandmadec....I'm now on the lookout. When I run across one I'll let ya'll know how it worked out here in PA.Wink

SE PA
                          United States
                          Member #93584
                          July 3, 2010
                          1542 Posts
                          Posted: July 3, 2010, 10:18 am - IP Logged

Hi, all!

I'm new. Thanks for the tips, because I play a lot and have never won more than $50. I've won $40 and $50 a few times. I agree that the end of the roll seems to be lucky, particularly #148 on the $2 games. I don't remember winning on the last ticket, #149. On BlackJack, my $40 and $50 winners have come in the #110-#130 range. #131 won $50 just a couple days ago. Have not had much luck with the beginnings of rolls, but have heard tickets #7-#10 can be lucky.Have noticed the numbers #60-80 have quite a few losers. So do the 50s except for the possible sizable winner in that area.

So do the big jackpot prizes also tend to be at the end of the roll? (I mean the biggest prizes - $21,000 on BlackJack, $50,000 on Birthday Cash, $10K/Month for Life on that game, etc.)

United States
                            Member #93438
                            June 29, 2010
                            75 Posts
                            Posted: July 3, 2010, 11:22 am - IP Logged

I'm not kidding.

helpful.

that with us.

Golden Millions $20 ticket........... ticket #28 ($200), #29 ($20)........next pack #000 ($40).

Millionaire Monopoly $20 ticket..........#28 ($0), #29 ($0).  The retailer had post's of previous winners........all in the 20's.......nothing past #25 & no #22 winners eitherIdea

I still didn't see any lines or color codes but I'm still on the caseCool

I agree with you on the new games....most of them are teasers.....most of the time you wil is a free ticket (you get your $ back)........the fantastic 5's ($5) are great......got 1 ticket $100.

Golden Millions($20), Extreme Green($20), & Fantastic 5's($5) seem to be doing pretty ok right now.

Seem's like they may mix 1 good game in with the batch when they put out new games.....who know's.

Maybe we'll narrow it down if we keep our eye's open a compare notes.

United States
                              Member #93438
                              June 29, 2010
                              75 Posts
                              Posted: July 3, 2010, 11:47 am - IP Logged

Hi, all!

I'm new. Thanks for the tips, because I play a lot and have never won more than $50. I've won $40 and $50 a few times. I agree that the end of the roll seems to be lucky, particularly #148 on the $2 games. I don't remember winning on the last ticket, #149. On BlackJack, my $40 and $50 winners have come in the #110-#130 range. #131 won $50 just a couple days ago. Have not had much luck with the beginnings of rolls, but have heard tickets #7-#10 can be lucky.Have noticed the numbers #60-80 have quite a few losers. So do the 50s except for the possible sizable winner in that area.

So do the big jackpot prizes also tend to be at the end of the roll? (I mean the biggest prizes - $21,000 on BlackJack, $50,000 on Birthday Cash, $10K/Month for Life on that game, etc.)

Welcome MattfromPA!

I'm new to the site as well....but the newness wore off after about 24 hours & my first big win!

The LP "family" are wonderful people with a lot of great information and you too will feel right at home in no timeSmile.

Good Luck to you!

Great tip about #7-10.  I'll pay close attention to that...you may be on to somethingCool