Welcome Guest
The time is now 5:31 pm
You last visited November 24, 2014, 5:09 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why do you need a lawyer to pick up your lottery check?

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 4 years ago by ttech10.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Houston
United States
Member #62319
June 24, 2008
242 Posts
Posted: July 21, 2010, 2:24 pm - IP Logged

I read a lottery website that explains how much you're due and how to collect if you win a jackpot. I can't remember exactly all that was said, or the website, but it gave useful information and explained in details how to collect your own check.

With a lawyer, I'm assuming, you're looking anywhere from a 10% to 30% bite out of your earning and that's after the initial taxes etc. I never understood why a lawyer should be paid that much.

In general, jackpot winner bring a lawyer to collect their checks --- maybe they owe taxes and instead of having the lottery deduct that from their earnings, they hire a lawyer to keep their earnings away from creditors but isn't there a way you can work that out yourself before heading to the Lottery office?

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
    Mcminnville, Oregon
    United States
    Member #3013
    December 13, 2003
    2421 Posts
    Posted: July 21, 2010, 4:24 pm - IP Logged

I won't be using a lawyer for my collecting.  Don't need one unless I get sued.-weshar75

four4me's avatar - gate1
      MD
      United States
      Member #1701
      June 18, 2003
      7905 Posts
      Posted: July 21, 2010, 4:36 pm - IP Logged

Some people might want a lawyer if they are forming a trust and they plan to divvy the money among family members or relatives.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
        HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
        Idaho
        United States
        Member #94285
        July 17, 2010
        1706 Posts
        Posted: July 22, 2010, 12:49 pm - IP Logged

Why would you pay a lawyer that much to help you with the lottery details?  Around here they charge around $200 an hour.  If one asked for a percentage of my jackpot, I'd run as fast as I could.  Sounds scammy to me.

United States
          Member #61232
          May 16, 2008
          126 Posts
          Posted: July 22, 2010, 7:26 pm - IP Logged

I read a lottery website that explains how much you're due and how to collect if you win a jackpot. I can't remember exactly all that was said, or the website, but it gave useful information and explained in details how to collect your own check.

With a lawyer, I'm assuming, you're looking anywhere from a 10% to 30% bite out of your earning and that's after the initial taxes etc. I never understood why a lawyer should be paid that much.

In general, jackpot winner bring a lawyer to collect their checks --- maybe they owe taxes and instead of having the lottery deduct that from their earnings, they hire a lawyer to keep their earnings away from creditors but isn't there a way you can work that out yourself before heading to the Lottery office?

I doubt a lawyer would charge you 10-30% of your lottery winnings.  They only take 10-30% if you win a lawsuit because they don't make you pay upfront.  They get nothing if they lose the lawsuit.

At most the lawyer would charge you a few hundred $$ an hour to prepare paperwork and show up at the lottery office with you or on your behalf.

sully16's avatar - sharan
            Listens to the wind
            Michigan
            United States
            Member #81740
            October 28, 2009
            20352 Posts
            Posted: July 22, 2010, 10:03 pm - IP Logged

I'd rather talk to my accountant first, but, you know me I'd bring 5 or 6 lawyers along and push them out of the car half way there...watch in the rear view mirror as they went tumbling along.

There's only one US Flag

jrosina's avatar - k3 34.jpg
              New York,
              Panama
              Member #73078
              April 4, 2009
              3483 Posts
              Posted: July 23, 2010, 12:37 am - IP Logged

I'd rather talk to my accountant first, but, you know me I'd bring 5 or 6 lawyers along and push them out of the car half way there...watch in the rear view mirror as they went tumbling along.

Sullyyy! NO!! why watch the rear view mirror?? if they tumble, they tumble...If they Splater they Splater.. but you have to keep your eyes on the road!!!

forget what "they" say about youWhat you say about you?...

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

TheGameGrl's avatar - necros
                Pennsylvania
                United States
                Member #17084
                June 10, 2005
                3135 Posts
                Posted: July 23, 2010, 1:01 am - IP Logged

The operative word used by the poster was "ASSUMING" such and such a percentage.Key error in assuming....

LOL SULLY! Love Lawyer comments!

Signature quote-Its a true fact that even someone with a dark heart cannot help but be enlightened by a good deed.

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                  Texas
                  United States
                  Member #92332
                  June 5, 2010
                  781 Posts
                  Posted: July 24, 2010, 4:03 am - IP Logged

I wouldn't bring a lawyer unless I was doing a blind trust, in which case it wouldn't JUST be a lawyer but someone much more (as they're essentially in control of all the winnings).

For taxes and whatever, you deal with that later (I would assume later, since taxes are paid on a certain day of the year) so you wouldn't need one there with you when you collect your money. Even then you wouldn't necessarily need a lawyer as much as you would an accountant or someone reliable to do your taxes (as you only have to deal with the federal/state income tax as the winnings counts as your income). While it would be smart to hire an accountant, financial advisor and a lawyer to discuss and oversee spending and other actions involving your money I don't think it would be necessary to hire a lawyer accompany you in accepting the winnings.

Personally, though, I trust that I could deal with the spending and investing on a personal level (or at least with the help of family, an aunt is an accountant for a high level firm). I would trust them to look after me more than anyone else (think of how many people thought Madoff was extremely trustworthy).