Welcome Guest
The time is now 8:53 am
You last visited August 27, 2014, 8:51 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Virginia Lottery Scratch Offs appear to be huge scam

Topic closed. 2 replies. Last post 4 years ago by fastscratcher10.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Coppery's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg
East Coast
United States
Member #96938
September 8, 2010
19 Posts
Posted: September 8, 2010, 8:25 pm - IP Logged

I have now read not one, but two stories about how the Virginia Lottery has been sued for holding back tickets and/or not releasing all winning tickets for sale ( you can google Redskins 20 dollar ticket or VA lottery sued by Professor )

I wish I had known how they seem to be shady, because I wasted a ton of money last weekend on several tickets at two different lottery sales locations over the weekend.

I had just won 575 dollars on a few scratch offs in Maryland. I was plan on holding onto my winnings, but a friend goaded me to try and buy several 20 dollar 5 million dollar club tickets in Virginia later that night.

Out of 22 tickets, only 1 winner.  The odds on the tickets say 1 in 2.71. Oddly enough, the losing code letters seem the same as Pennsylvania's { K, P, B , Z , D )

Anyway, just a cautionary heads up.

I do well on tickets from Pennsylvania and Maryland.

SE PA
    United States
    Member #93584
    July 3, 2010
    1541 Posts
    Posted: September 8, 2010, 9:31 pm - IP Logged

Pennsylvania is very streaky. I got a couple Big Winner Spectacular ($10) wins today, but many more losers. And other times I get 3, 4 winners in a row. Some of these losers were in spots I thought would win (#54, #55.) I think sometimes they put in more rolls with bunched winners, and most people get in the 5, 6 losers in a row.

But 1 out of 22 tickets in VA won? I would complain about that if they were in a row. That's beyond the usual shenanigans.

CB, Virginia
      United States
      Member #86203
      January 31, 2010
      37 Posts
      Posted: October 8, 2010, 6:06 pm - IP Logged

You didn't specify but I know those 22 tickets were not in a row, because in VA there are only 20 tickets on $20 rolls. Reguardless you just caught a string of loosers. It happens and that's why it's called gambling. The overall odds are 1 in 2.71, but that does in no way mean you are going to win by buying 3 or more tickets. You may go to one store and buy 4 tickets back-to-back and loose on every one. Then you may go to another store and buy 4 more tickets back-to-back and 3 or 4 of them yeilding wins. It's random!

From the VA's Lottery website:

"When Scratcher tickets are printed, prizes are distributed through computer-generated formulas. Although a particular string of 5 or 10 tickets may not produce a winner, another string of tickets could produce several winning tickets."

As for the lawsuit, Virginia Lottery has since changed their policy reguarding top prizes. 

http://valottery.com/faq/kb_detail.asp?type=category&category=7&id=117

I wish you better luck in the future.