Welcome Guest
The time is now 9:12 pm
You last visited November 22, 2014, 8:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Discarded tickets with only the serial number scratched.

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 4 years ago by CarHauler.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #97731
September 22, 2010
321 Posts
Posted: December 6, 2010, 9:19 pm - IP Logged

I have heard of this, and today I found one. It is a $10 Jumbo Jumbo Bucks ticket, with only the serial number scratched. They did not scratch any of the play area. Talk about laziness. I asked the cashier about it, and she said that some crazy players just hand her the ticket and ask her to scan and see if they are winners. Not a real good idea, unless you have 100% faith in that cashier. She scanned it and told me that it was a loser. I have not scratched it off yet.

This leads me to believe that you can determine if a ticket is a winner, simply by the serial number. Some people call it a validation code. Do the three numbers in the box determine if a ticket is a winner, or is it the entire serial number? How can you tell for sure?

United States
    Member #97731
    September 22, 2010
    321 Posts
    Posted: December 6, 2010, 9:43 pm - IP Logged

Here is a picture of it:

$10 unscratched ticket found in trash.

United States
      Member #97731
      September 22, 2010
      321 Posts
      Posted: December 6, 2010, 9:45 pm - IP Logged

I can't take the suspense. I am going to have to scratch it off.

United States
        Member #97731
        September 22, 2010
        321 Posts
        Posted: December 6, 2010, 9:48 pm - IP Logged

I can't take the suspense. I am going to have to scratch it off.

It lost, just like the cashier said.

Can you tell from the serial number?

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
          Pennsylvania
          United States
          Member #74096
          May 2, 2009
          16692 Posts
          Posted: December 6, 2010, 10:13 pm - IP Logged

CarHauler, I'm sorry, I don't remember what state you are in...is it GA or OH?

((EDIT: DOH! It is Georgia, I found that after scrutinizing your ticket)

Used to be in PA - before extra ~ security ~ measures were put into place, that you were able to scratch the ticket area and reveal the serial

number and find whether the ticket was a winner or loser by the presence or absence of parenthesis. The winning amount would be within

the numbers in parenthesis. Many tickets were discarded with only the number area scratched....they were looking for a winning serial number...

a loser would only be string of numbers.

You photo shows 3 numbers in a box...maybe that's your states telltale sign. Could it be that non-winners have no boxed digits?

Now PA has letters scattered throughout the play area of the ticket. Some letters, like Q, Z, J, B indicate losers....letters that spell dollar amounts

are winners: T, H, W, F, V, E, N etc.

I thought the lack of player notification about the *new* coding system was horrible. When they introduced the new system for instants, people

were still looking for parenthesis....sure there was a handprinted sign here and there thanks to retailers notifying their customers of the new change

but I never saw an official, straight from the lottery notification printed to post at terminals or machines. I guess the word went out, it is now

included on the website....but when that was actually posted, I do not know. Not soon enough for some winners to be thrown away, I'm sure.

Shame, shame PA lottery.

Check with a retailer and see what they have to say about it. I'm just not sure how some of the other states are doing it. Maybe someone here

from your state knows, I hope they post.

United States
            Member #97731
            September 22, 2010
            321 Posts
            Posted: December 7, 2010, 1:43 am - IP Logged

Here in GA, all tickets have a ten digit serial number. Out of those 10 digits, there are three numbers in a box, and the location of the box changes. The location of the box does not seem to change the outcome of the ticket, as far as to whether or not the ticket is a winner. I am trying to determine several things. First, and most importantly, are the numbers in the box an automatic indicator of a prize being won? My preliminary research reveals...nothing.

I am currently under the impression that the GA lottery uses a secret algorithm between the ticket number printed on the back of the ticket which you can see before you buy it (assuming the tickets are visible), and the serial number, which is not visible until you scratch the ticket.

One cashier told me that he could tell from the serial number if it was a winner, but that he would not be able to sell the ticket if part of it is scratched off. I do not know if he meant that he could tell just by looking at it, or whether he would have to scan the ticket, and input the number. I believe they did this to keep the cashiers from buying up all of the winners. Think about it: if all you had to do was scan the tickets to see which were winners, the clerks could literally take all of the winning tickets, and it would be like taking candy from a baby. It keeps things a little more honest, but I still believe that some cashiers count known losing tickets.

If for no other reason, it would be easier to tell for sure if you have a winner or not. Some of the more difficult games can be harder to tell, and it is easier to miss the winners. I am talking about poker or cashword type puzzles, where it is easy to overlook. Also, I have poured over old tickets, and found winners that I had missed.

I also wonder what the three letters on the front stand for. I have figured out at least that TIC in any combination signifies a free ticket. That could also be TCI, CIT, CTI, ICT or ITC.

sully16's avatar - sharan
              Listens to the wind
              Michigan
              United States
              Member #81740
              October 28, 2009
              20339 Posts
              Posted: December 8, 2010, 2:38 pm - IP Logged

I'm going to check out mich scratchers and see how it's determined to be a winner.

There's only one US Flag

United States
                Member #97731
                September 22, 2010
                321 Posts
                Posted: December 8, 2010, 11:42 pm - IP Logged

All I have determined with close to certainty is that TIC is ticket, and TEN is $10. After that, things get real confusing. The letters can be on any line, in any order.

Toney725's avatar - speedykat
                  Stone Mountain, GA
                  United States
                  Member #3189
                  January 1, 2004
                  22532 Posts
                  Posted: December 9, 2010, 12:11 am - IP Logged

All I have determined with close to certainty is that TIC is ticket, and TEN is $10. After that, things get real confusing. The letters can be on any line, in any order.

As far as I can tell from all of the tickets that I've ever scratched, you can't tell from the serial number if the ticket is a winner.  The code on the other hand usually spells it out.  I don't even scratch the symbols in the play area on Loteria, I scratch the bottom completely and if I see TIC, FIV, TEN, FTN, I know I've won a ticket, $5, $10 or $15.  I'll scratch the top part if I get some other 3 letter combination that I don't recognize.   But, I don't throw any tickets away until I'm 100% certain it's a dud.

United States
                    Member #97731
                    September 22, 2010
                    321 Posts
                    Posted: December 10, 2010, 1:22 am - IP Logged

As far as I can tell from all of the tickets that I've ever scratched, you can't tell from the serial number if the ticket is a winner.  The code on the other hand usually spells it out.  I don't even scratch the symbols in the play area on Loteria, I scratch the bottom completely and if I see TIC, FIV, TEN, FTN, I know I've won a ticket, $5, $10 or $15.  I'll scratch the top part if I get some other 3 letter combination that I don't recognize.   But, I don't throw any tickets away until I'm 100% certain it's a dud.

It seems to me like the clerks scan the back of the ticket, then type in the three digits in the box, so 7 out of 10 numbers in the serial number are not used. I would like to be able to tell more quickly if I was a winner on games like Cashword and WPT. I wonder if a clerk accidentally typed in a different number from the front of a ticket if it would go through? I wonder if they have an exact serial number that they keep on file, to go along with the ticket number.