Welcome Guest
The time is now 10:34 pm
You last visited July 28, 2014, 10:33 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Claiming Anonymous in California Lottery

Topic closed. 15 replies. Last post 3 years ago by megamanX.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
socalgal's avatar - bobblecars3
California
United States
Member #103563
January 3, 2011
56 Posts
Posted: January 3, 2011, 11:03 pm - IP Logged

Hello everyone, I'm new here.  I already searched the forum before posting.  Similar topics were already closed, so I couldn't bump or reply to them.

I called the 800 number for California Lottery today and spoke to a lady.  I asked if it's possible to claim a prize with a blind trust.  She didn't really give me a direct answer.  She said in California their obligated to disclose the winner.  Ok, I understand that.  But my question was about claiming it anonymous by using the trust's name.  She gave the same answer again.

I skipped that question and asked another one.  Is the person obligated to do a press release?  She didn't understand that.  So I said... "You know, where they have the reporters and photographers gathered around the winner?"  She said I need to talk to "Security".

I gave up after that and said thank you.

Now, I've been reading some of the news articles in this forum.  I found article #215346 - Anonymous winner claims $23M California jackpot.

My question is how?  How were they able to claim anonymously?  What does "anonymous" entail?  Wouldn't creating a blind trust be the same as anonymous?  Only the lottery office would know who the real beneficiary is.

I understand this is a public forum and I have to take everyone's reply with a grain of salt.  But since I couldn't get a direct answer straight from the Cal. lottey office, maybe someone out there knows a little more than the lady I spoke to.  Or at least point me in the right direction. 

Thanks and I hope everyone has a lucky new year ahead! Smile

garyo1954's avatar - garyo
    Dallas, Texas
    United States
    Member #4549
    May 2, 2004
    845 Posts
    Posted: January 4, 2011, 3:21 am - IP Logged

The California Lottery site FAQ says:

Can I be anonymous when I win?

Calfornia state law requires that the California State Lottery to release the following information: your name, and the name and location of the retailer where you bought your ticket. You may request no media coverage aside from that.

(That is the exact wording on the site, however ill conceived it was.)

It would appear if you win a multi-state game in California, state law would require disclosure.

garyo1954's avatar - garyo
      Dallas, Texas
      United States
      Member #4549
      May 2, 2004
      845 Posts
      Posted: January 4, 2011, 3:45 am - IP Logged

The Omnibus Lottery Regulations of the State of California say:

M. PUBLIC DISCLOSURE OF WINNER’S NAME

1. The California State Lottery Commission finds that a winner’s name, the name and location of the retailer who sold the winning ticket and the amount of prize (including gross amount and net payment, if applicable) may be public records under the California Public Records Act and therefore subject to public disclosure. The Lottery will not disclose personal information (e.g., age, home address, employer, phone number, etc.) without consent of the winner unless required by law.

2. The Lottery may announce the public information identified above in any manner determined by the Director, including via the news media.

socalgal's avatar - bobblecars3
        California
        United States
        Member #103563
        January 3, 2011
        56 Posts
        Posted: January 4, 2011, 10:58 am - IP Logged

Hi, thanks for the reply.  Yes, I read the faq as well.  I am curious why the news article# 215346 says - Anonymous winner claims $23M.

The first paragraph says -

"A lucky California retiree who doesn't want to be named bought a SuperLotto ticket last week worth $23 million."

This contradicts what's in the faq section of calottery website.  How were they able to claim anonymously?

From my research, California doesn't allow blind trust.  So I can't think of any other way to claim anonymously.

Los Angeles, CA
          United States
          Member #97912
          September 26, 2010
          278 Posts
          Posted: January 17, 2011, 4:35 am - IP Logged

Yeah I've seen several stories about Californians claiming anonymously. Maybe they worked out some kind of agreement to delay the release of their information? That's what I would do, if possible.

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
            Chicago
            United States
            Member #70678
            February 8, 2009
            889 Posts
            Posted: January 18, 2011, 8:51 pm - IP Logged

Hi, thanks for the reply.  Yes, I read the faq as well.  I am curious why the news article# 215346 says - Anonymous winner claims $23M.

The first paragraph says -

"A lucky California retiree who doesn't want to be named bought a SuperLotto ticket last week worth $23 million."

This contradicts what's in the faq section of calottery website.  How were they able to claim anonymously?

From my research, California doesn't allow blind trust.  So I can't think of any other way to claim anonymously.

Could you copy and paste that article in an e-mail to the Ca Lottery and ask them? (sorry I'm being too lazy to look myself)

Just get me thru this so called life......

United States
              Member #104974
              January 23, 2011
              24 Posts
              Posted: January 23, 2011, 8:40 am - IP Logged

this was originally posted by Perfecttiming2 in this thread: http://www.lotterypost.com/topic/222068

"Since no one knows the answer to this question, I decided to call my state lottery office and find out what they had to say:

This is the information that I got from my phone call to the California Lottery office......

1. If you sign your name on the back of the ticket, that is the name that will be released to the public

2. If you want to claim your ticket anonymously, you must do the following:

* Call the CA state lottery office and tell them you would like to claim anonymously
                  * The legal division will review your request and they decide if they will accept  your LLC, Trust, Blind Trust, Partnership (which means you would have to have formed the LLC, Trust etc. before you submitt the ticket; this is probably why it takes weeks before the anonymous claim on large jackpots are reported to the media).
                  * They said it is their policy (CA Lottery) to review all request to claim prizes anonymously on a case by case basis as some have tried to claim prizes anonymously to avoid child support, spousal support etc.
                  * Once it is decided that you will claim anonymously, your representative (usually the lawyer who helped your form the trust) will provide the information to Lottery official for a press release (name of Trust, LLC etc, where you bought the ticket and when you bought the ticket....it is one winner, or a group or partnership.....) Any and all inquiries are to be directed to the representative of the Trust, LLC etc.
                  * They said any other questions that I may have regarding this would have to be forwarded to the legal division for an anonymous claim request and that would only be done if I was ready to claim a prize."

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
                Magnolia, Delaware
                United States
                Member #18795
                July 20, 2005
                789 Posts
                Posted: January 23, 2011, 10:29 am - IP Logged

There is one more way to use a trust to claim the win anonymously in Calif. even if you are a resident of that state. Any trust that is out of state can go and claim the jackpot (no state can say it has to be a trust within that state to claim said jackpot) and you have to love this part especially, Calif. doesn't have any access to any information whatsoever because the trust is in another state! And another benefit to having an out of state trust while a Calif. resident, that trust isn't subjet to Calif. state income tax either! (Nevada has no state income tax and it's close by hint, hint).

No trust has to be a blind or a double blind trust either in-order to do this!

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

Lucki723's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
                  Florida
                  United States
                  Member #62713
                  July 6, 2008
                  3523 Posts
                  Posted: January 23, 2011, 10:54 am - IP Logged

In this case , I personaly would hire an attorney.

"To be the best, you have to work the hardest. You have to chase what seems impossible over and over and over again, because giving up is not an option, and when you feel like you've reached your limit, it's only the beginning, that's when it's time to dig deep, to find the courage to push some more, because if you've got the drive, the discipline, and the bizarre to do what it takes to make yourself great, then the rewards are endless.” L James 

Magnolia, Delaware
                    United States
                    Member #18795
                    July 20, 2005
                    789 Posts
                    Posted: January 23, 2011, 11:05 am - IP Logged

In this case , I personaly would hire an attorney.

Duh....... An attorney is who draws up the trust papers and files them with the state that the trust is going to be in (Washington, Oregon, Nevada or whatever state).

Lucki723's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
                      Florida
                      United States
                      Member #62713
                      July 6, 2008
                      3523 Posts
                      Posted: January 23, 2011, 11:21 am - IP Logged

Duh....... An attorney is who draws up the trust papers and files them with the state that the trust is going to be in (Washington, Oregon, Nevada or whatever state).

Precisely. Since no one on here can give an exact answer to the question. I personally would consult with the  attorney. My advice was that. 

I hope one day I have that problem.Wink

"To be the best, you have to work the hardest. You have to chase what seems impossible over and over and over again, because giving up is not an option, and when you feel like you've reached your limit, it's only the beginning, that's when it's time to dig deep, to find the courage to push some more, because if you've got the drive, the discipline, and the bizarre to do what it takes to make yourself great, then the rewards are endless.” L James 

United States
                        Member #104974
                        January 23, 2011
                        24 Posts
                        Posted: January 23, 2011, 11:34 am - IP Logged

California currently has no state tax on lotto winnings. I would post a link as proof but the website won't let me. Just trust me on this one

Magnolia, Delaware
                          United States
                          Member #18795
                          July 20, 2005
                          789 Posts
                          Posted: January 23, 2011, 2:23 pm - IP Logged

California currently has no state tax on lotto winnings. I would post a link as proof but the website won't let me. Just trust me on this one

True, so true. But the next/following tax year(s) any and all income derived from the lottery winnings are subject to Calif. state income tax as long as the trust/accounts are within the state of Calif.

Los Angeles, CA
                            United States
                            Member #97912
                            September 26, 2010
                            278 Posts
                            Posted: February 11, 2011, 6:05 am - IP Logged

"Calfornia state law requires that the California State Lottery to release the following information: your name, and the name and location of the retailer where you bought your ticket."

Does this apply to jackpot winners only? I don't see to much media coverage on 5+0 (Just missing the Mega) winners, who typically win in the six figures, or maybe I don't look hard enough

Los Angeles, CA
                              United States
                              Member #97912
                              September 26, 2010
                              278 Posts
                              Posted: February 19, 2011, 5:27 am - IP Logged

Ok, looking at the the CA Lottery official website, I've seen news stories of Fantasy 5 winners, Super Lotto jackpot winners, and Mega Millions 5+0 winners staying anonymous. Has anyone seen stories of a California Mega Millions jackpot winner successfully claiming anonymously?