Welcome Guest
The time is now 2:33 am
You last visited August 2, 2014, 2:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Are Auto Picks for Mega Millions and Power Balls Generated at The Retailer's Terminal?

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 4 years ago by sully16.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #105132
January 25, 2011
6 Posts
Posted: January 25, 2011, 7:43 pm - IP Logged

I posted the below listed questions to the Mega Millions and Powerbal States. All the states that have responded to me so far have the same answers with the exception of Michigan. My original questions are in black and Michigan Lottery Bureau's response are in red. Thier responses except for No. 7 are exactly opposite to the answers I received from all the other games states. Could any one comment on the accuracy of Michigan's response. I was expecting some consistency with what goes on in Michigan and the balance of the states on how quick picks are selected, but it appears not to be the case.

1. Is it correct that when a player buys a Michigan Mega millions or Power Ball lottery ticket using the easy-pick feature that the set of random numbers generated is actually done by the retailer's terminal and then sent to the Lottery commission central computer for recording? NO THAT IS NOT CORRECT.

2. Is it correct that the lottery central computer is not the originator of the easy-pick numbers that the retailer's terminal prints? And that the retailer's terminal(computer) is? NO THAT IS NOT CORRECT

3. If 1 and 2 in above are true, does it mean that each retailer could be potentially generating and selling the same sets of easy-pick numbers on a daily basis to multiple players who request the auto pick features as other retailers are doing during a particular game period? NOT APPLICABLE

4. Where is the set of auto-pick numbers that are printed at the retailer's terminal generated from? the retailer's terminal(computer) or the lottery central computer for the Mega millions and Power ball easy-pick tickets? LOTTERY CENTRAL

5. Are the easy-picks tickets for Mega millions and Power-ball generated randomly at the retailer's machine or are they selected from a pool of numbers already stored on the retailer's terminal? EACH SET OF NUMBERS IS GENERATED WITH EACH TRANSACTION

6. Are the easy-picks tickets for Mega millions and Power-ball generated randomly at the Lottery central computer or are they selected from a pool of numbers already stored on the Lottery Central Computer? SEE ABOVE

7. What does the Lottery authorities do between the break in sales and drawing for both Mega Millions and Powerball games? MAKE SURE THAT ALL WAGERS FOR THAT DRAWING HAVE BEEN INCLUDED IN THE DRAWING POOL SO THAT EVERYONE WHO PURCHASED TICKETS FOR THAT DRAWING HAS AN OPPORTUNITY TO WIN.

THANKS!

United States
    Member #75358
    June 1, 2009
    5350 Posts
    Posted: January 25, 2011, 8:14 pm - IP Logged

Does it really matter?

United States
      Member #105132
      January 25, 2011
      6 Posts
      Posted: January 25, 2011, 8:22 pm - IP Logged

Does it really matter?

Yes, It does matter. It all helps me understand better how these lotteries work. There was a lenghty discussion on this topic in 2008, so it must have mattered to many others too.

United States
        Member #75358
        June 1, 2009
        5350 Posts
        Posted: January 25, 2011, 8:28 pm - IP Logged

Yes, It does matter. It all helps me understand better how these lotteries work. There was a lenghty discussion on this topic in 2008, so it must have mattered to many others too.

Ok, here's how it works. A computer randomly picks the number.

garyo1954's avatar - garyo
          Dallas, Texas
          United States
          Member #4549
          May 2, 2004
          845 Posts
          Posted: January 25, 2011, 8:38 pm - IP Logged

I agree with joker. IF, and say BIG IF, you asked these question and received this response, it says more about you than the game.

What would possess you to ask the same question in so many ways, each time with misleading or unfounded inferences that makes any answer almost impossible?

I don't get it. One simple question would have received a simple reply.

HOW ARE QUICK PICKS GENERATED?

ohiopick3's avatar - shamrocker
            Ohio
            United States
            Member #3023
            December 14, 2003
            4077 Posts
            Posted: January 25, 2011, 8:40 pm - IP Logged

Sounds like you should pick your own numbers because you don't like the quick pick numbers you received?

Just as "joker17" posted: "Does it really matter", for quick picks, that's your choice.

CutlassBob's avatar - Sphere animated2.gif
              Harrison Township Michigan
              United States
              Member #90090
              April 21, 2010
              3998 Posts
              Posted: January 25, 2011, 8:43 pm - IP Logged

Is it safe to say it Sounds like "Participant" is going to law school? Cheers *BURP*

“Everyone must know their limitations...then defy them!” 
               Me

Dallas, Texas
                United States
                Member #4549
                May 2, 2004
                845 Posts
                Posted: January 25, 2011, 9:05 pm - IP Logged

Is it safe to say it Sounds like "Participant" is going to law school? Cheers *BURP*

Cheers

No, really Bob. There is a guy at the CIA recording every pick in Excel so the lottery people can pick a number nobody has!

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                  Chief Bottle Washer
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #1
                  May 31, 2000
                  21452 Posts
                  Posted: January 25, 2011, 9:10 pm - IP Logged

I posted the below listed questions to the Mega Millions and Powerbal States. All the states that have responded to me so far have the same answers with the exception of Michigan. My original questions are in black and Michigan Lottery Bureau's response are in red. Thier responses except for No. 7 are exactly opposite to the answers I received from all the other games states. Could any one comment on the accuracy of Michigan's response. I was expecting some consistency with what goes on in Michigan and the balance of the states on how quick picks are selected, but it appears not to be the case.

1. Is it correct that when a player buys a Michigan Mega millions or Power Ball lottery ticket using the easy-pick feature that the set of random numbers generated is actually done by the retailer's terminal and then sent to the Lottery commission central computer for recording? NO THAT IS NOT CORRECT.

2. Is it correct that the lottery central computer is not the originator of the easy-pick numbers that the retailer's terminal prints? And that the retailer's terminal(computer) is? NO THAT IS NOT CORRECT

3. If 1 and 2 in above are true, does it mean that each retailer could be potentially generating and selling the same sets of easy-pick numbers on a daily basis to multiple players who request the auto pick features as other retailers are doing during a particular game period? NOT APPLICABLE

4. Where is the set of auto-pick numbers that are printed at the retailer's terminal generated from? the retailer's terminal(computer) or the lottery central computer for the Mega millions and Power ball easy-pick tickets? LOTTERY CENTRAL

5. Are the easy-picks tickets for Mega millions and Power-ball generated randomly at the retailer's machine or are they selected from a pool of numbers already stored on the retailer's terminal? EACH SET OF NUMBERS IS GENERATED WITH EACH TRANSACTION

6. Are the easy-picks tickets for Mega millions and Power-ball generated randomly at the Lottery central computer or are they selected from a pool of numbers already stored on the Lottery Central Computer? SEE ABOVE

7. What does the Lottery authorities do between the break in sales and drawing for both Mega Millions and Powerball games? MAKE SURE THAT ALL WAGERS FOR THAT DRAWING HAVE BEEN INCLUDED IN THE DRAWING POOL SO THAT EVERYONE WHO PURCHASED TICKETS FOR THAT DRAWING HAS AN OPPORTUNITY TO WIN.

THANKS!

If the person responding said that the central computer CREATES the random numbers, then they are wrong.   The lottery terminal creates the numbers. The central computer RECORDS the numbers generated by the terminal.

Sorry that you're getting bad info from the lottery itself.   What a shame.  Maybe you want to contact the Michigan Lottery Director to let them know that bad info is being disseminated.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                  What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                  Help eliminate computerized drawings!

United States
                    Member #105132
                    January 25, 2011
                    6 Posts
                    Posted: January 25, 2011, 10:42 pm - IP Logged

I agree with joker. IF, and say BIG IF, you asked these question and received this response, it says more about you than the game.

What would possess you to ask the same question in so many ways, each time with misleading or unfounded inferences that makes any answer almost impossible?

I don't get it. One simple question would have received a simple reply.

HOW ARE QUICK PICKS GENERATED?

Myquestions speak for themselves and the merits of them are obvious,except perhaps to you.

Thequestions were not posted to raise a debate about me than the game asyou have insinuated, because you do not have any information about meto formulate any sound or respectable opinion.

Theposting is not a public request or appeal to you to evaluate,critique or grade my English Language writing and composition skillsand since you have only inferred and deducted "misleadingor unfounded inferences that makes any answer almost impossible?",it is obvious that you are the reader that has fallen victim to thepossession of ineptitudeness, cantankerousness and hopelessness. Youcan be rest assured that no demon has taken possession of the writerof this posting to have impelled upon him to "askthe same question in so many ways"

You arecorrect in that you didn't get it and you are wrong in that "Onesimple question would have received a simple reply"because you are not a sage and most of all the very entitythat responded to my 7 questions did not share your flawedobservation no matter how suspiciously flawed their answers were.

Finallythis is not about "HOW ARE QUICKPICKS GENERATED?” but specifically about “Howare Mega Millions and Power ball Quick Picks Generated”.There are no implied interest on other games with quick picks optionsin this postings.

I hopethat you will find it worthier to endorse a day and opportunity forimproved understanding of how these games work than unhealthyrancorousness. This subject has come up before in this site and had a very lenghty discussion by members

United States
                      Member #105132
                      January 25, 2011
                      6 Posts
                      Posted: January 25, 2011, 11:42 pm - IP Logged

If the person responding said that the central computer CREATES the random numbers, then they are wrong.   The lottery terminal creates the numbers. The central computer RECORDS the numbers generated by the terminal.

Sorry that you're getting bad info from the lottery itself.   What a shame.  Maybe you want to contact the Michigan Lottery Director to let them know that bad info is being disseminated.

I hadsent the same set of questions to all the Mega Millions and PowerBalls Lottery Bureaus. All of them that have responded so far cameback with the same answers that Quick Picks for Mega Millions andPower Ball games are generated at the retailer's terminal, except forNorth Carolina who responded like Michigan, initally said that their Mega andPower Ball quick picks are generated at their central computer. Ithen sent them a follow-up email and asked them to check theirinformation. They came back with the same answer. I then placed aphone call and spoke with their Public Relations Director, who askedthat I forward my original questions and the Bureau's responses and hewill have his IT people research for the correct information. Heresponded later to tell me that his bureau's earlier responses aboutthe central computer generating random numbers for these two gameswere wrong and that the quick picks were generated at the retailer'sterminal.

Theresponses I received from the Michigan Lottery came from their PRdepartment and their answers which stands aside from those of therests of the states are now bound for the commissioner's desk forverification, and I hope that he will, like North Carolina, respondwith verified answers from people who should know the correct answer,his IT team.

ThanksTodd for your input on this. I read the extensive 2008 discussions atthis website on this topic only recently and that was were I gainedmy first level information on how these quick picks for these two games  come about in the first  place.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                        MD
                        United States
                        Member #1701
                        June 18, 2003
                        7827 Posts
                        Posted: January 26, 2011, 12:18 am - IP Logged

I hadsent the same set of questions to all the Mega Millions and PowerBalls Lottery Bureaus. All of them that have responded so far cameback with the same answers that Quick Picks for Mega Millions andPower Ball games are generated at the retailer's terminal, except forNorth Carolina who responded like Michigan, initally said that their Mega andPower Ball quick picks are generated at their central computer. Ithen sent them a follow-up email and asked them to check theirinformation. They came back with the same answer. I then placed aphone call and spoke with their Public Relations Director, who askedthat I forward my original questions and the Bureau's responses and hewill have his IT people research for the correct information. Heresponded later to tell me that his bureau's earlier responses aboutthe central computer generating random numbers for these two gameswere wrong and that the quick picks were generated at the retailer'sterminal.

Theresponses I received from the Michigan Lottery came from their PRdepartment and their answers which stands aside from those of therests of the states are now bound for the commissioner's desk forverification, and I hope that he will, like North Carolina, respondwith verified answers from people who should know the correct answer,his IT team.

ThanksTodd for your input on this. I read the extensive 2008 discussions atthis website on this topic only recently and that was were I gainedmy first level information on how these quick picks for these two games  come about in the first  place.

An here in lies the problem when you contact the lottery through email or phone number and your question isn't directed to the person who actually knows the answer your likely to get any generic response they keep in a list of questions and answers by their desk. 

If by phone or email you should ask to speak to the assistant director.

I have had may dealings with lottery personnel over the phone and most do not have a clue as to how the lottery works other than they draw numbers every day.

You must speak with some official who is directly responsible to answer said questions.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
                          Dallas, Texas
                          United States
                          Member #4549
                          May 2, 2004
                          845 Posts
                          Posted: January 26, 2011, 12:28 am - IP Logged

Myquestions speak for themselves and the merits of them are obvious,except perhaps to you.

Thequestions were not posted to raise a debate about me than the game asyou have insinuated, because you do not have any information about meto formulate any sound or respectable opinion.

Theposting is not a public request or appeal to you to evaluate,critique or grade my English Language writing and composition skillsand since you have only inferred and deducted "misleadingor unfounded inferences that makes any answer almost impossible?",it is obvious that you are the reader that has fallen victim to thepossession of ineptitudeness, cantankerousness and hopelessness. Youcan be rest assured that no demon has taken possession of the writerof this posting to have impelled upon him to "askthe same question in so many ways"

You arecorrect in that you didn't get it and you are wrong in that "Onesimple question would have received a simple reply"because you are not a sage and most of all the very entitythat responded to my 7 questions did not share your flawedobservation no matter how suspiciously flawed their answers were.

Finallythis is not about "HOW ARE QUICKPICKS GENERATED?” but specifically about “Howare Mega Millions and Power ball Quick Picks Generated”.There are no implied interest on other games with quick picks optionsin this postings.

I hopethat you will find it worthier to endorse a day and opportunity forimproved understanding of how these games work than unhealthyrancorousness. This subject has come up before in this site and had a very lenghty discussion by members

Wai....wait....you're typing so fast and furious and then point out you are not making a public appeal to have your English graded? Very interesting. So, ummmmm, jimmy-like.

Since you've estalished you want a reasonable discussion, I'll put my points on the table. We'll use your original post to do so. I'm less tactful than Todd who suggested you speak to the lottery director. And I will say straight up, I see no evidence that you have made any effort to get direct answers from Michigan. ANY person who handles tens of thousands of questions per year would have a more thorough and direct response to any question dealing with their job. Would they not? 

Since this is a public issue, there is no reason to withhold the name, contact information, or the complete content of the request. Please PM me that information so I can contact that person myself. And please feel free to share some of the other state's responses. Those would be interesting too.

But let's look at the questions:

Question #1: "Is it correct that when a player buys a Michigan Mega millions or Power Ball lottery ticket using the easy-pick feature that the set of random numbers generated is actually done by the retailer's terminal and then sent to the Lottery commission central computer for recording? NO THAT IS NOT CORRECT."

Such a contrived way of asking: How are quick picks generated? that it makes no sense. First, Michigan is a PARTICIPATING STATE in the Mega-Millions drawing. You can buy a ticket for the game in Michigan, but Michigan does not OWN the Mega-Millions game. I'll go forward and point out I would dismiss this question as false on the second idea that random numbers are sent to the "Lottery commission central computer for the purpose of recording." What do you mean recording? (I smell a trap)

Question #2: "Is it correct that the lottery central computer is not the originator of the easy-pick numbers that the retailer's terminal prints? And that the retailer's terminal(computer) is? NO THAT IS NOT CORRECT"

Same question from a different angle. This is a known lawyering tactic. It says, "if I don't get the answer I want, I'll rephrase from the opposite side. Yep. You got me. I did spend a few years judging debate.

Question #3: "If 1 and 2 in above are true, does it mean that each retailer could be potentially generating and selling the same sets of easy-pick numbers on a daily basis to multiple players who request the auto pick features as other retailers are doing during a particular game period? NOT APPLICABLE"

If 1 and 2 are NOT true, the rest of the question is moot. And since BOTH 1 and 2 were answered not true, 3 is not applicable.

Question #4: "Where is the set of auto-pick numbers that are printed at the retailer's terminal generated from? the retailer's terminal(computer) or the lottery central computer for the Mega millions and Power ball easy-pick tickets? LOTTERY CENTRAL

Haven't got the right answer yet? Ask again: HOW ARE QUICK PICKS GENERATED? By the way, what is an AUTO-PICK? I've never bought one, so they might sell them at Lottery Central. Have you tried buying one?

Question #5: "Are the easy-picks tickets for Mega millions and Power-ball generated randomly at the retailer's machine or are they selected from a pool of numbers already stored on the retailer's terminal? EACH SET OF NUMBERS IS GENERATED WITH EACH TRANSACTION"

ONCE MORE with the HOW ARE QUICK PICKS GENERATED? How do define "pool of numbers already stored?" Certainly there is a limited pool, no matter how large it may be, since there is a set lower and upper number. And each terminal must be limited to generating a set within that limit. I haven't seen any tickets with -23 or 62. Have you? 

Question #6: "Are the easy-picks tickets for Mega millions and Power-ball generated randomly at the Lottery central computer or are they selected from a pool of numbers already stored on the Lottery Central Computer? SEE ABOVE"

AGAIN: HOW ARE QUICK PICKS GENERATED? I'm sorry. You're persistence is laughable. The very reason it is so laughable is by continuing to ask the same question in so many ways, YOU ARE ADMITTING YOU DON'T EXPECT A TRUE ANSWER! You called them a liar after the first question by asking again! NOW IF YOU CALL ME A LIAR AND I LIE TO YOU THEN YOU GOT WHAT YOU EXPECTED.

And this is exactly what happened, isn't it? You didn't confuse them. You didn't trip them up. You're bright, I'll admit that. I mean, you tried to get them to take possession of Mega-Millions by calling it Michigan Mega-Millions, and adding Power ball, which is a separate entity altogether. You used 'recording' in such a general way it could be misconstrued to mean almost anything. I especially liked the 'AUTO-PICK,' it leaves me with the image of the terminal endlessly spitting out tickets.

By the way, did you know Mega-Millions has its own site? And they have a random number generator on there as well. They even have a 'contact us' button it. Might try it. Who knows? Couldn't hurt, could it.

You asked for opinons. That is mine.

dover delaware
                            United States
                            Member #4466
                            April 26, 2004
                            1082 Posts
                            Posted: January 26, 2011, 12:57 am - IP Logged

who cares??  lesonook

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                              adelaide sa
                              Australia
                              Member #37136
                              April 11, 2006
                              2782 Posts
                              Posted: January 26, 2011, 7:23 am - IP Logged

a good question would be does the random gewnerrator for quick picks have a filter for  numbers like 1 2 3 4 5 6

as ive never seen 123456 on anty quick pick and a survey of an online community with 100k members have never had a quick pick with 123456

2014 winnings

JAN -$48.50;  FEB  -$77.5; MAR -$18.05;  APR -$96.05 MAY -$61.10; JUN $-85;