Welcome Guest
The time is now 2:57 pm
You last visited August 27, 2014, 2:56 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Applications of Probability and Statistics

Topic closed. 38 replies. Last post 4 years ago by RL-RANDOMLOGIC.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
jimmy4164's avatar - andy warhol.jpg
State of Mind
United States
Member #93949
July 10, 2010
2142 Posts
Posted: January 26, 2011, 3:05 pm - IP Logged

Some pathetic claims are being made about Randomness, Probability, and Statistics in other topics here.  I thought it might be a good idea to establish this topic as a place to discuss these issues.

For starters, those who feel Probability and Statistics are a waste of time and/or can not be used to evaluate methods of picking lottery numbers should be aware of other extremely important areas where scientists routinely employ them in Engineering and Physics to solve problems and make decisions that affect all of our lives.

http://www.springer.com/physics/quantum+physics/book/978-0-7354-0636-0

Anyone who really believes that their theories preempt the currently accepted ones of the scientific community should make the effort to organize their ideas and submit a paper for the next conference at  Växjö.  Short of that, they should at least put their ideas before the gatekeepers at Wikipedia!

I truly hope that some of the "beliefs" espoused elsewhere in the Mathematics Forum are not those of university students who might somehow slip through the cracks of their school's grading system, graduate, and end up designing buildings, airplanes, or weapons that our children and grandchildren might someday come in contact with.

Here is a great source for FREE Statistical Software!

http://statpages.org/javasta2.html

--Jimmy4164

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    17822 Posts
    Posted: January 26, 2011, 9:40 pm - IP Logged

Playing the lotteries isn't brain surgery or rocket science and shouldn't be treated as such.  The future of the world isn't likely to change because some one's lottery theory isn't scientific.  If it works for you then it doesn't matter if it works for others.  If you can't find a theory up to your standards do what other players are doing and make up one of your own, after all you aren't trying to save the world but trying to win a lottery.

* you don't need more tickets, just the right ticket * 
    * your best chance to win a lottery jackpot is to buy a ticket * 
        Wink 

State of Mind
      United States
      Member #93949
      July 10, 2010
      2142 Posts
      Posted: January 27, 2011, 12:49 am - IP Logged

Playing the lotteries isn't brain surgery or rocket science and shouldn't be treated as such.  The future of the world isn't likely to change because some one's lottery theory isn't scientific.  If it works for you then it doesn't matter if it works for others.  If you can't find a theory up to your standards do what other players are doing and make up one of your own, after all you aren't trying to save the world but trying to win a lottery.

"The future of the world isn't likely to change because some one's lottery theory isn't scientific."

This statement is true.

However, the kinds of fallacious reasoning that is used to concoct some of these unscientific lottery theories could have a serious effect on our future!  If someone doesn't call attention to the absurdity of some of the VooDoo suggested by some here, there are those who will [illogically] assume their theory is logical!  How will our country compete on the world stage when students in Asia are running circles around ours in the sciences?  The lotteries are Random!  Randomness is a powerful concept which helps solve complex problems in engineering and science.  It would have been helpful if you had thought about what you read in my opening post to this thread before making your comment.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        17822 Posts
        Posted: January 27, 2011, 11:43 am - IP Logged

....there are those who will [illogically] assume their theory is logical!  How will our country compete on the world stage when students in Asia are running circles around ours in the sciences? 

Lottery players has to be at least 18 years old, they aren't school students.  If after 12 years of schooling a person doesn't has the basics of a good education in logic and science then playing the lotteries and reading unscientific lottery theories about how to win aren't going to make him dumber.

Wink 

State of Mind
          United States
          Member #93949
          July 10, 2010
          2142 Posts
          Posted: January 27, 2011, 1:11 pm - IP Logged

....there are those who will [illogically] assume their theory is logical!  How will our country compete on the world stage when students in Asia are running circles around ours in the sciences? 

Lottery players has to be at least 18 years old, they aren't school students.  If after 12 years of schooling a person doesn't has the basics of a good education in logic and science then playing the lotteries and reading unscientific lottery theories about how to win aren't going to make him dumber.

It appears you believe that once a person has graduated from High School they can no longer learn new concepts or challenge their beliefs.  What I've read about cognition and learning causes me to be much more optimistic than you.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            17822 Posts
            Posted: January 27, 2011, 6:12 pm - IP Logged

It appears you believe that once a person has graduated from High School they can no longer learn new concepts or challenge their beliefs.  What I've read about cognition and learning causes me to be much more optimistic than you.

That's not what I said, I said they don't get dumber because of reading other player's unscientific lottery theories as you suggested might happen unless some one challenge such lottery theories.

Wink 

Jordans121's avatar - nw bookeep.jpg

United States
              Member #69169
              January 5, 2009
              2080 Posts
              Posted: January 27, 2011, 6:19 pm - IP Logged

With so many pre-draws it is unlikely that the best scientists in the world would come close to figuring out the lottery.

"Many Strategies|One Game"

State of Mind
                United States
                Member #93949
                July 10, 2010
                2142 Posts
                Posted: January 27, 2011, 7:36 pm - IP Logged

That's not what I said, I said they don't get dumber because of reading other player's unscientific lottery theories as you suggested might happen unless some one challenge such lottery theories.

Did I say they got dumber?  No.  Do you deny they would fail to improve their understanding of Probability & Statistics?

It would be nice if you would reread my opening post and comment on the substance of it, rather than quibble over the silly issue you've latched onto.  Did you use Google to look up any of the papers presented at the last conference at  Växjö ?

BTW, you brought up the word "dumb," not me.

State of Mind
                  United States
                  Member #93949
                  July 10, 2010
                  2142 Posts
                  Posted: January 27, 2011, 7:57 pm - IP Logged

With so many pre-draws it is unlikely that the best scientists in the world would come close to figuring out the lottery.

Lotteries are among the simplest games ever invented!  Mediocre scientists can handle it just fine.  If the Lottery employs a sufficiently random RNG it makes no difference whatsoever how many "pre-draws" are made.  If computerized draws were done in secret, allowing technicians, with their own tickets in hand, to keep drawing until they liked what they saw, knowing precisely what the next [Televised] Draw was going to produce because of their corrupt code, then there would be a problem.  Do you know of any lotteries where these conditions exist?  If so, don't you think this should be brought to the attention of the state's Legislators, or the District Attorney?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    17822 Posts
                    Posted: January 28, 2011, 1:46 am - IP Logged

Did I say they got dumber?  No.  Do you deny they would fail to improve their understanding of Probability & Statistics?

It would be nice if you would reread my opening post and comment on the substance of it, rather than quibble over the silly issue you've latched onto.  Did you use Google to look up any of the papers presented at the last conference at  Växjö ?

You're right and I also didn't say I believed that once a person graduated from High School they can no longer learn new concepts.

Wink 

RL-RANDOMLOGIC's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing

United States
                      Member #59354
                      March 13, 2008
                      2116 Posts
                      Posted: January 28, 2011, 9:18 am - IP Logged

Some pathetic claims are being made about Randomness, Probability, and Statistics in other topics here.  I thought it might be a good idea to establish this topic as a place to discuss these issues.

For starters, those who feel Probability and Statistics are a waste of time and/or can not be used to evaluate methods of picking lottery numbers should be aware of other extremely important areas where scientists routinely employ them in Engineering and Physics to solve problems and make decisions that affect all of our lives.

Anyone who really believes that their theories preempt the currently accepted ones of the scientific community should make the effort to organize their ideas and submit a paper for the next conference at  Växjö.  Short of that, they should at least put their ideas before the gatekeepers at Wikipedia!

I truly hope that some of the "beliefs" espoused elsewhere in the Mathematics Forum are not those of university students who might somehow slip through the cracks of their school's grading system, graduate, and end up designing buildings, airplanes, or weapons that our children and grandchildren might someday come in contact with.

--Jimmy4164

jimmy

I worked for over 20 years in a field where I had to depend on math every day not only to do my job

correctly but to keep my job.  Making a single mistake could have costed ten's of thousands of dollars.

To compare that job to the lottery would be like comparing a rocket scientist to building sand castles

on the beach.  There is no math for the lottery beyond (P), so we tear up the books and apply lottery

math.  What is lottery math, glad you asked. Lottery math is using bits and pices of real math that we

can manuplate to acheive the impossible.  LOL.  None of us expect to win the Fields Medal for our 

continued efforts but when attempting the impossible one must use the improbable tools.   This is a

lottery post where people with similar interest come to congregate and discuss lottery or other games

of chance.  Here I can let my hair down so to speak and relax and not worrie that if I make a mistake it

will cause a disaster.  It's a game, It's a game, It's a game.  When at the job above I would sometimes

take weeks or months to test a upgrade or new process and worked feverously to ensure the fewest

errors existed.  Here I type and think at the same time without much if any proof reading. If I make a 

mistake then someone will most likely point it out and that's that.  I have said in the past that if you

want to say that no one should play the lottery because of the odds then I agree 100% but if you are

going to play then make every effort no matter how improbable because we both know what is probable.

The lottery is my escape from the land of concice.  I know you will have a hayday with this and if it makes

you feel better then have at it.

RL

RL-RANDOMLOGIC's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing

United States
                        Member #59354
                        March 13, 2008
                        2116 Posts
                        Posted: January 28, 2011, 10:20 am - IP Logged

--Jimmy4164

jimmy

P.S.

Thanks for combing your hair, you look so much better now. I know how bad hair days can effect a persons

mood.

RL

Kentucky
                          United States
                          Member #32652
                          February 14, 2006
                          5399 Posts
                          Posted: January 28, 2011, 12:29 pm - IP Logged

"The future of the world isn't likely to change because some one's lottery theory isn't scientific."

The only question anybody should ask, does the system produces hits because that's what the majority of LP members seem to be looking for. We all understand it's a random game of chance and know the odds are against us.

For whatever reason, Jimmy is on a quest to tell us things we already know.

State of Mind
                            United States
                            Member #93949
                            July 10, 2010
                            2142 Posts
                            Posted: January 28, 2011, 1:55 pm - IP Logged

The only question anybody should ask, does the system produces hits because that's what the majority of LP members seem to be looking for. We all understand it's a random game of chance and know the odds are against us.

For whatever reason, Jimmy is on a quest to tell us things we already know.

It's curious to me why someone who claims to "already know" what I've been posting here would bother to take the time to read my posts and then put forth considerable effort to try to discredit them.  Hhmm...

BTW, who are you referring to when you say "we?"

Are any of them posting here in 225692?

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/225692

NASHVILLE, TENN
                              United States
                              Member #33372
                              February 20, 2006
                              998 Posts
                              Posted: January 28, 2011, 8:47 pm - IP Logged

It's curious to me why someone who claims to "already know" what I've been posting here would bother to take the time to read my posts and then put forth considerable effort to try to discredit them.  Hhmm...

BTW, who are you referring to when you say "we?"

Are any of them posting here in 225692?

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/225692

You can count me in as being one of the "we".