Welcome Guest
The time is now 10:23 pm
You last visited October 1, 2014, 10:19 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

I bought an entire book of $20 GA tickets - $3,000,000 Taxes Paid

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 4 years ago by dallascowboyfan.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #97731
September 22, 2010
321 Posts
Posted: February 1, 2011, 7:26 pm - IP Logged

I have wanted to do this for a while, and the results were very disappointing, much worse than I expected. I purchased 15 of the $3,000,000 Taxes Paid tickets, numbers 000 through 014. The total cost of the book was $300. What did I get in return? Three free tickets, a $30 winner and a $40 winner, for a total of $130. I have won $60 once, and $30 twice just buying one or two tickets at a time, previously, which is what I suggest anyone reading this does.

I had been previously been told by a lottery retailer that each book was guaranteed to contain at least $180 worth of winners per book, but this is obviously not the case. It might be that it is a guaranteed amount at a certain retailer, but I did not buy it at the retailer who told me that (there were 2 retailers that told me this).

And for the curiosity seekers out there, this is how it went: 001, 006, 008, 010 and 011 were winners; 000, 002, 003, 004, 005, 007, 009, 012, 013 and 014 lost. I thought it particularly disturbing that not only did the first ticket not win, but neither did the last 3! I guess figuring out a pattern is impossible. As a side note, I won on 004 and 000 on other tickets in this game from different packs, so you just can't tell! This is proof enough to me that the lottery is actually random.

Does anyone else have any experience buying whole books at a time, or with the $3,000,000 Taxes Paid game? Any big winners out there? So far my limited experience with this game leaves a lot to be desired. Has anyone found that whole books from certain retailers tend to pay out more than others?

I thought it was kind of crazy when I asked the cashier for a whole book and he asked me if I wanted just one! That leads me to believe that there must be more folks than I thought who buy whole books, maybe multiple books. I might do it one more time, but if the results are the same it will be the last.

James1's avatar - 5599078405 12a562a9e7_t.jpg
    Florida
    United States
    Member #104438
    January 14, 2011
    2193 Posts
    Posted: February 1, 2011, 7:52 pm - IP Logged

Ive played through 5 books now. They usually return 40%. Best was $510 from a $600 book. If you dont hit a nice win or a few decent wins your screwed.

2014 Highest Winner: $500

B$Rizzle's avatar - a4leds
      The Ville, FL
      United States
      Member #95881
      August 19, 2010
      1708 Posts
      Posted: February 1, 2011, 7:58 pm - IP Logged

"I thought it particularly disturbing that not only did the first ticket not win, but neither did the last 3"

And why did you find this disturbing?

I'm thinking you are under some type of assumption that the first couple and last couple are gauranteed winners?

Florida
        United States
        Member #104438
        January 14, 2011
        2193 Posts
        Posted: February 1, 2011, 8:08 pm - IP Logged

More often then not the Lottery has its ways of putting the big winners on the very first or very last ticket.

Florida
          United States
          Member #102885
          December 27, 2010
          334 Posts
          Posted: February 1, 2011, 8:15 pm - IP Logged

I wouldn't recommend buying an entire book

United States
            Member #97731
            September 22, 2010
            321 Posts
            Posted: February 1, 2011, 9:22 pm - IP Logged

Ive played through 5 books now. They usually return 40%. Best was $510 from a $600 book. If you dont hit a nice win or a few decent wins your screwed.

That is about what I got back (43%). I wonder if there is any way to tell if a book is good. Did you buy all 5 at the same time, or at the same place? My thinking was that if this one was so poor, that the next one might be good. Have you seen any tell tell signs, or serial numbers or combinations that were better than others?

United States
              Member #97731
              September 22, 2010
              321 Posts
              Posted: February 1, 2011, 9:25 pm - IP Logged

"I thought it particularly disturbing that not only did the first ticket not win, but neither did the last 3"

And why did you find this disturbing?

I'm thinking you are under some type of assumption that the first couple and last couple are gauranteed winners?

No, not guaranteed, but I would think one or the other might have a winner. It is just good policy to have a fair amount of winners at the ends of the books. If you knew that ticket 000 or 014 never won, would you buy it? Me neither, but if there was that one time that I remembered winning $100 on it, I would be more likely to buy that number.

United States
                Member #97731
                September 22, 2010
                321 Posts
                Posted: February 1, 2011, 9:27 pm - IP Logged

More often then not the Lottery has its ways of putting the big winners on the very first or very last ticket.

Once again, I agree, and it is just plain good for business. That helps ticket sales. If a book is stuck on the last 2 tickets, and no one will buy them, then that is money that the lotto is not getting.

Florida
                  United States
                  Member #104438
                  January 14, 2011
                  2193 Posts
                  Posted: February 2, 2011, 12:14 am - IP Logged

That is about what I got back (43%). I wonder if there is any way to tell if a book is good. Did you buy all 5 at the same time, or at the same place? My thinking was that if this one was so poor, that the next one might be good. Have you seen any tell tell signs, or serial numbers or combinations that were better than others?

What I have learned

1- Dont buy rolls of new scratchers after them having been out for 1 month and several jackpots have been claimed. This is when the lotto looks to make the most money and 90% of rolls will be cold. Rather buy the first week they hit the shelves or half a year into the game.

2- Dont buy whats "popular" at the moment

3- Dont buy rolls of dead scratchers ( tickets which have no jackpots remaining )

4- Dont trust clerks. Every time ive asked if there have been any winners for a game lately most of them say "no, they have all been losers". They are not your friends and they will lie to you to get you to play dead tickets

5- Buy older games that have prizes remaining. Big winners can be had with great odds. You got to remember tons of duds have been scratched out of the way for you. All the sudden that 50,000 in 1 to win $10K becomes 5,000 to 1

four4me's avatar - gate1
                    MD
                    United States
                    Member #1701
                    June 18, 2003
                    7868 Posts
                    Posted: February 2, 2011, 12:33 am - IP Logged

I have wanted to do this for a while, and the results were very disappointing, much worse than I expected. I purchased 15 of the $3,000,000 Taxes Paid tickets, numbers 000 through 014. The total cost of the book was $300. What did I get in return? Three free tickets, a $30 winner and a $40 winner, for a total of $130. I have won $60 once, and $30 twice just buying one or two tickets at a time, previously, which is what I suggest anyone reading this does.

I had been previously been told by a lottery retailer that each book was guaranteed to contain at least $180 worth of winners per book, but this is obviously not the case. It might be that it is a guaranteed amount at a certain retailer, but I did not buy it at the retailer who told me that (there were 2 retailers that told me this).

And for the curiosity seekers out there, this is how it went: 001, 006, 008, 010 and 011 were winners; 000, 002, 003, 004, 005, 007, 009, 012, 013 and 014 lost. I thought it particularly disturbing that not only did the first ticket not win, but neither did the last 3! I guess figuring out a pattern is impossible. As a side note, I won on 004 and 000 on other tickets in this game from different packs, so you just can't tell! This is proof enough to me that the lottery is actually random.

Does anyone else have any experience buying whole books at a time, or with the $3,000,000 Taxes Paid game? Any big winners out there? So far my limited experience with this game leaves a lot to be desired. Has anyone found that whole books from certain retailers tend to pay out more than others?

I thought it was kind of crazy when I asked the cashier for a whole book and he asked me if I wanted just one! That leads me to believe that there must be more folks than I thought who buy whole books, maybe multiple books. I might do it one more time, but if the results are the same it will be the last.

I explained this to you a few times now they printed 20 million or more tickets, it's not about how many you buy it's about being in the right place at the right time.

you could go to 10 stores and buy a book in each one of them and you might get lucky or not. get up the next day and do it all over with the same results.

I've seen the two old guys throw away their pension checks every month buying whole books and scratching the whole day they were addicted to it the very rarely if ever won any significant amount to cover their losses and never once got a jackpot winning ticket.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
                      RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      17906 Posts
                      Posted: February 2, 2011, 12:51 am - IP Logged

No, not guaranteed, but I would think one or the other might have a winner. It is just good policy to have a fair amount of winners at the ends of the books. If you knew that ticket 000 or 014 never won, would you buy it? Me neither, but if there was that one time that I remembered winning $100 on it, I would be more likely to buy that number.

CarHauler,

Didn't you realize how many losing $20 tickets they had to sell to pay for a $3,000,000 taxes paid prize?  Well at least you did something you had wanted to do for a while.  I've found most lottery retailers don't know any more about the games they sell than their customers.

* you don't need more tickets, just the right ticket * 
                      * your best chance at winning a lottery jackpot is to buy a ticket * 
                           Wink 

United States
                        Member #71120
                        February 19, 2009
                        984 Posts
                        Posted: February 2, 2011, 12:55 am - IP Logged

Ive bought several books here in Tennessee over the past few years myself,the results are very disturbing also.I had to admit to myself I was to addicted to getting that winning  ticket.There are a few things inn my life I love more than a  scratch off.It is a hard habit to break but it can be done.I'm living proof,And boy it feels good too.

Florida
                          United States
                          Member #104438
                          January 14, 2011
                          2193 Posts
                          Posted: February 2, 2011, 1:09 am - IP Logged

Ive bought several books here in Tennessee over the past few years myself,the results are very disturbing also.I had to admit to myself I was to addicted to getting that winning  ticket.There are a few things inn my life I love more than a  scratch off.It is a hard habit to break but it can be done.I'm living proof,And boy it feels good too.

Im addicted too but I know how to force myself away for a few days. 

My worst habit is chasing winners, dropping $200 in 10 minutes, then getting more money to win back the lost $200 AND make a profit while at it. This has dropped me in a hole. Only way out now is a big winner minimum $5K.

United States
                            Member #97731
                            September 22, 2010
                            321 Posts
                            Posted: February 2, 2011, 2:58 am - IP Logged

I explained this to you a few times now they printed 20 million or more tickets, it's not about how many you buy it's about being in the right place at the right time.

you could go to 10 stores and buy a book in each one of them and you might get lucky or not. get up the next day and do it all over with the same results.

I've seen the two old guys throw away their pension checks every month buying whole books and scratching the whole day they were addicted to it the very rarely if ever won any significant amount to cover their losses and never once got a jackpot winning ticket.

You got that one right! I went to claim the $130 of my winnings tonight at a QuickTrip. I was going to get some more there, but my gut really strongly objected to the idea for some reason. I turned in $90 worth, meaning to turn in $100 worth (they will only pay out up to $100 cash, After that it is a money order, which I did not feel like dealing with). Against my better judgement, I asked if I could turn in the remaining $40 ticket for more scratch offs. The clerk said no, and went into this long spiel about getting fired, and I told him that I completely understood. The main reason I went to the QT is because it had the do it yourself scanner, so I could verify what I already knew: I had $130 worth of winners.

Undaunted, I drove a couple of miles up the road to one of my favorites. I told the clerk that I wanted to cash this $40 ticket in, and he said he thought it was too late (you cannot scan or turn in tickets between 1 and 5 am). I said no, there is a couple of minutes left. I was right, and he cashed it for me. I bought another $20 $3,000,000 Taxes Paid ticket, a $20 Maximum Green ticket, and a $10 Georgia Lottery Black Ticket, for a total of $50. The $3,000,000 Taxes Paid ticket had just a tiny bit of latex scratched off, and I was considering refusing it, but I determined that it was not enough to determine the outcome (unless maybe a clerk thought that particular spot was the only place that won anything big).

I went home, and I asked my wife which one she wanted to scratch, and she said she wanted to scratch the $3,000,000 Taxes Paid ticket, so I handed it over. I was scratching off the Maximum Green ticket, and was near the end when I told my wife that I had probably just wasted $50. It was a loser, so there goes $20 down the drain, then I heard a squeak/excited laugh come from my wife, so I know she has won something decent. I said you must have won something, and she was like it is not giant, but it is a good win. It was a star, worth $300!!! So she ended up scratching our biggest winner to date.

This is a big relief after such a stinging loss on the whole book deal. I actually stated as I was scratching them off that I would quit buying 1 of each; I would go back to buying 1 ticket at a time until I won, but I quickly changed my mind after this win. We really can use the money, and in reality I probably shouldn't have bought the whole book, but it was an excellent teacher: it verified what you and others have told me all along: it is just a matter of being at the right place at the right time. Throw in a little luck, and some help from above, and you just might get that good winner.

You simply cannot force a big winner by purchasing a ton of tickets, and you cannot predict which tickets are a winner, by trying to make a judgement on what has or has not happened in the past. It is not that I really doubted anyone (OK sometimes I do), but seeing the whole book, and realizing that there is no pattern to the winners is proof enough in my mind to corroborate what I have been told.

I think the dear Lord may have helped me out a bit as well. If that clerk at QT had given me the tickets as I had asked, I doubt that I would have won anything, or at least as much. I think this happened for a reason, and God was trying to open my eyes to the fact that you can have just as good luck if not better, by buying one ticket at a time as opposed to a bunch or even a whole roll. It was not a jackpot, but certainly enough to get us excited! I will take as many $300 winners as I can get, but I would like to skip ahead to the jackpot next.

I have had ALL of my biggest winners ($100 or more) when I least expected it, and when I purchased just 1 or 2 tickets from each book. That will be what I will do from now on with scratch offs. I may buy a few more on the online games, but they are between $.50 and $2 each, so you get more plays for your money, even if the odds are worse. I am somewhat excited about the new $250,000 a year for 30 year new Decades of Dollars WFL game here in GA, even if the plays are $2 each, and terrible odds in 6/47, but that is better than the other big draw games. That would end up around $172,500 a year after taxes. I could get by on that! It will be tempting, even with the poor odds and higher price, but that is talk for another section I suppose.

United States
                              Member #97731
                              September 22, 2010
                              321 Posts
                              Posted: February 2, 2011, 4:30 am - IP Logged

CarHauler,

Didn't you realize how many losing $20 tickets they had to sell to pay for a $3,000,000 taxes paid prize?  Well at least you did something you had wanted to do for a while.  I've found most lottery retailers don't know any more about the games they sell than their customers.

RJOh,

I am glad I got that out of my system. I expect they have to sell a lot of losers to make a profit. They just sent me a bunch of coupons, but they are not much, most are buy 1 online game and get a QP free, or $1 off an instant ticket, limit 1. Really more of a tease than anything else, but maybe it gets the casual player to spend more, it just does not seem like too much of a temptation to me. I wish it were a percentage off instead, or buy 1 get 1 free instant ticket.

If I had just had it the other day, why I could have bought an entire $300 book of tickets for the amazingly low price of $299! Heck, I could have gotten my $50 worth of tickets tonight for $49! Maybe getting something from the Lottery increased my luck. After all, I did get those coupons today, even though I did not use them, and I ended up winning $300. I think I will go buy a $1 ticket and make them give it to me for free, and then act real excited about it, really ham it up, telling the cashier that I am going to win the jackpot.

One thing I used to do which brought me much delight, but horror to a clerk is to wet a dollar bill in the sink, then take it up and buy something with it. When they ask why it is wet, I would tell them that I had accidentally dropped it in the toilet. You would be amazed at how fast someone will drop a dollar bill. It was especially fun to do in hot, dry summer months, when it hadn't rained in weeks. Then after they drop it, you explain that you are just kidding, and that you dropped it in a puddle outside, which is not believable due to the fact that it hasn't rained in quite some time. Then they REALLY don't know what to believe. Maybe I will do that with the $1 off an instant ticket coupon.

I had been expecting to find X pattern means Z, but in reality it is not so. With the book, I told my wife that I was glad that there had been many losers,and  up that to that point, all of the winners had been free tickets. I went on to explain that the poor payouts so far almost guaranteed a big winner, but in reality that was not the case. The biggest winner was $40, which is not so hot for a $20 ticket.

Judging by that roll, I could get 4 (or more) losers in a row, or two (or more) winners in a row. To those (myself in the past included) who believe that there is a pattern such as a winner every forth ticket, while that may be a good GENERALIZAZTION, it certainly is not always the case, and many times not like that at all.

You can track tickets to a certain point, such as watching a roll in a slower store, and buying after three have been sold after your last winner, but it is just too tiring to keep up in the long run. My eyes have been opened. The lottery is random after all. Back to the drawing board. It kind of takes the fun out of it, but rest assured I will still see if there isn't some way to improve my odds, but it really just seems like it is luck of the draw. On one note, however, I did get my $300 winner within 3 numbers of my $60 winner in that same game, so I might be a tad more likely to buy from that part of the book.

Also of interest: There are around 5 $500 winners posted in that store from the (relatively) new GA game Georgia Lottery Black (It is right at a month old). That is pretty good for a station that is not real busy, but it might be just because the game is new, who knows. I have yet to win more than $25 on the Georgia Lottery Black ticket; it has been a real dud for me, but after what I saw, I will definitely buy some more there.

I noticed that they have started marking out the validation number on the front of the big winning tickets that they have posted. Does anyone know the relevance of that number, or why they do that? Are there people out there that use that number to forge or alter tickets or something? Just curious. I would think if the (three digit number in the box) out of the 10 digit number had been used, then it could not be reused. Maybe there is a way to tell from that number by matching it to the ticket number which ones are most likely to be winners? Does anyone know anything about this?

Think about this one thing: If there were absolutely no patterns or systems that could help someone win, or no rules of what to do or not to do, then there would be very little use for LP, but this great meeting of the mind and comparison of notes has allowed us to further our knowledge. For me, It took thousands of hours of research, and thousands of dollars spent on tickets searching for patterns, and after all that I have to accept the fact that it is random. 

Just the other day, my wife spent $5 on instant games to win $30 (for a profit of $25), on games that I would not normally buy. We did win three tickets straight on a $2 game: free ticket, $3 and $5 in that order (I bought 5 $2 tickets and she bought one, along with a $3 ticket). Not really worth mentioning, but proportionate wins like that on a $20 game would be nice. I spent $100 and won something like $40, for a loss of $60. Go figure. I am still so excited about tonight's $300 win, I believe this is the third time I have mentioned it.

Another fun fact: I would rather win $500 than $700. Why? taxes. In GA, they take out 25% for the Feds, and 6% for the state, for a total of 31%, on anything over $600. Therefore, assuming that we win $725, we will only get to keep 69%, which would be $500.25, and they can keep the quarter for all of the taxes forms and claim forms you probably have to fill out. With $700, you would actually keep less than you would if you won $500; it would only pay out $483 after taxes.

No wonder there are no $750 prizes, it would be just about the same as winning $500 and not having to report it. A thousand dollar winner only nets you $90 more than a $600 ticket. How pathetic. The feds really deserve 25% of your winnings, just because you win. After all, shouldn't you be happy that they let you keep any of your money? Remember that all money belongs to the government, and they just let you keep what they think is appropriate for them to so graciously bestow upon you. Just ask Nancy Pelosi or Obama. It is not your money. You don't deserve to keep it. There are less fortunate people who need your money more than you do.

I need two $300 winners a day. That will kep me and the government happy. $219,000 a year, tax free. Where do I sign up?