Welcome Guest
The time is now 9:45 am
You last visited September 1, 2014, 9:35 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Redeeming winning tickets

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 4 years ago by PrisonerSix.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #105820
February 7, 2011
2 Posts
Posted: February 7, 2011, 9:54 am - IP Logged

What do you think of this policy, if the retailer can sell a $ 500.00 (five hundred) ticket shouldn’t they be able to pay if the ticket wins?

Sent:

Hi Lottery Hq.

I want to find out something about redeeming winning tickets. I won a $ 500.00 Pick 3 this week and when I attempted to cash it I got the run around.

I don’t think it is fair that you can buy tickets any where but have to run all around Robin Hood’s barn to cash them.

The first store said they didn’t have that much money on hand(I bought the ticket there).

The second store said they didn’t have that much either.

The third store said they didn’t sell enough tickets to justify paying a $500.00 ticket.

The fourth store finally paid me but their policy is $ 50.00 cash and a $450.00 money order.

Response from NC Education Lottery

Thank you for your email. I sincerely apologize that you had such a difficult time redeeming your $500.00 win. NC Education Lottery retailers are required to make every effort to pay winning tickets; however, in some circumstances the stores may not have the available cash or a corporate policy may prohibit the retailer from paying a certain amount. In the event a retailer is unable to pay the full amount in cash, they should offer an alternative form of payment such as money order, cashier’s check, or gift card; however, you have the option to refuse alternate payment methods and take your ticket to another retailer. Thank you for playing.

sully16's avatar - sharan
    Listens to the wind

United States
    Member #81740
    October 28, 2009
    19278 Posts
    Posted: February 7, 2011, 11:08 am - IP Logged

I had that happen to me on a 83 dollar win, the clerk politely asked me to come back later.

Sometimes they don't have the money, if it's a store that makes it a habit of not paying out , I would find some place else to play.

There's only one US Flag

Raven62's avatar - binary
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #17843
      June 28, 2005
      17937 Posts
      Posted: February 7, 2011, 12:08 pm - IP Logged

What do you think of this policy, if the retailer can sell a $ 500.00 (five hundred) ticket shouldn’t they be able to pay if the ticket wins?

Sent:

Hi Lottery Hq.

I want to find out something about redeeming winning tickets. I won a $ 500.00 Pick 3 this week and when I attempted to cash it I got the run around.

I don’t think it is fair that you can buy tickets any where but have to run all around Robin Hood’s barn to cash them.

The first store said they didn’t have that much money on hand(I bought the ticket there).

The third store said they didn’t sell enough tickets to justify paying a $500.00 ticket.

The fourth store finally paid me but their policy is $ 50.00 cash and a $450.00 money order.

Thank you for your email. I sincerely apologize that you had such a difficult time redeeming your $500.00 win. NC Education Lottery retailers are required to make every effort to pay winning tickets; however, in some circumstances the stores may not have the available cash or a corporate policy may prohibit the retailer from paying a certain amount. In the event a retailer is unable to pay the full amount in cash, they should offer an alternative form of payment such as money order, cashier’s check, or gift card; however, you have the option to refuse alternate payment methods and take your ticket to another retailer. Thank you for playing.

You are not alone: Lottery Players in every State experience this problem at one time or another.

Here's what some other LP Members had to say about the situation:

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/192903

PS: Lottery Post Search Forums is Your Friend!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Illinois
        United States
        Member #99773
        October 31, 2010
        1049 Posts
        Posted: February 7, 2011, 12:34 pm - IP Logged

I had that happen to me too. I thought you should be able to go into any place that sells Lottery tickets and they should be able to pay you. Not the case.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          17836 Posts
          Posted: February 7, 2011, 12:46 pm - IP Logged

At the very least retailers who will not pay prizes over $50 should post their policy where potential lottery players can read it before buying their tickets.  One gas station where I buy tickets has a sign on the play slip rack "prizes over $50 will be paid with money order".

* you don't need more tickets, just the right ticket * 
          * your best chance to win a lottery jackpot is to buy a ticket * 
              Wink 

four4me's avatar - gate1
            MD
            United States
            Member #1701
            June 18, 2003
            7849 Posts
            Posted: February 7, 2011, 2:28 pm - IP Logged

Sent:

Hi Lottery Hq.

First thing i'd ask before buying a ticket at a retailer is can you pay me if i win 500 or more. if they say no then i go to where they can like a large liquor store or grocery store where they have the cash on hand.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
              ttech10's avatar - blobdude
              Texas
              United States
              Member #92332
              June 5, 2010
              769 Posts
              Posted: February 7, 2011, 10:51 pm - IP Logged

Here in Texas retailers can pay up to $599, though I'm sure most of the places won't have that much on hand so it's down to either a claim center or getting it through money order (I can easily see why stores don't want that much money due to robberies). I assume NC doesn't have a local claim center in your town? We have one here so there's no worry if I ever hit anything other than the jackpot since I could just go about 10 minutes away to claim center.

The logic of What do you think of this policy, if the retailer can sell a $ 500.00 (five hundred) ticket shouldn’t they be able to pay if the ticket wins? isn't really a strong argument since you'd be expecting a store that sells a $10,000-$1,000,000 ticket to have that money. Yes it would be nice but for the sake of the store, I agree with most of them in not paying out (since as I said above that would rely on keeping thousands in the store which is just asking for robbery).

Baton Rouge, LA
                United States
                Member #4602
                May 7, 2004
                571 Posts
                Posted: February 7, 2011, 10:57 pm - IP Logged

Last year, I won $400 on Powerball and was able to cash it at a convenience store.  What they did was give me 2 $200 money orders for it.  I asked for 2 because I was splitting the money with my wife.  We have joint accounts but we also have small accounts for our own little purchases of things we want for ourselves.  The only thing they had to do was call their regional office for the procedure, but that only took a minute.  What was also cool was even though I was willing to do so, I didn't have to pay for the money orders, but did have to sign a receipt for the money orders that had printed on it that they were for the lottery.  I guess the lottery reimburses the store for the money orders. 

I have had problems cashing smaller prizes, like $25-$50 at some smaller stores.  One time when I went to cash a $20 ticket, I had to wait for someone to buy a carton of cigarettes for cash before I could get my money.  What I do now for those levels is I go to a supermarket since they usually have a large amount of cash on hand.  I only went to the convenience store for the $400 because I didn't want to have that much cash on me so I intended to get money orders.

Around 20 years ago when Louisiana's lottery first started, there was a chain of conveniences stores that wouldn't give cash for winning tickets, even small amounts like $1, they'd only exchange them for new tickets.  I went to more than one branch of this particular convenience store and had the same thing happen.  Excuses they gave included they couldn't ring up No Sale on the register, or could only give cash when the drawer was open.  I should have reported them but instead, I just quit buying tickets there.

I guess the best practice for large jackpots is, if possible, go to big places to cash your tickets, since they will have a lot of cash on hand.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"