Welcome Guest
The time is now 4:19 pm
You last visited October 1, 2014, 4:16 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

State vs Powerball vs Mega

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 4 years ago by markp1950.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
NoShame's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
Indiana
United States
Member #104857
January 21, 2011
159 Posts
Posted: February 22, 2011, 4:51 pm - IP Logged

Which one do you prefer playing and why?

I'm considering playing a state lottery for my next game (small jackpot = less stress) but I hear that Hoosier Lottery is loaded with problems even for those who self pick their numbers.  Thoughts?

megamanX's avatar - mega man_x_sprite-9629.jpg
    Pocatello, Idaho
    United States
    Member #105623
    February 3, 2011
    59 Posts
    Posted: February 22, 2011, 5:04 pm - IP Logged

I'm considering playing a state lottery for my next game (small jackpot = less stress) but I hear that Hoosier Lottery is loaded with problems even for those who self pick their numbers.  Thoughts?

I used to think State because the odds are so much better but I've had about the same amount of success as the multi-state game, in other words, I don't win jack shyyyte.

sully16's avatar - sharan
      Listens to the wind
      Michigan
      United States
      Member #81740
      October 28, 2009
      19654 Posts
      Posted: February 22, 2011, 5:52 pm - IP Logged

I play both mega and powerball, if it's a cash tight week I go with powerball.

There's only one US Flag

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        9079 Posts
        Posted: February 22, 2011, 6:11 pm - IP Logged

NoShame

We used to have a member here that thought he had a good case against the Hoosier Lottery. Indiana lawyers told him he moght have something (this was according to him) but since the state licenses them they wouldn't touch it. Ao he went to Chicago and those lawyers told him he might have something, but they weren't licensed in Indiana.

As for the state games vs PB and MM, personally I'd rather play the Powerplay and Megaplier. If you hit 5 + 0 you get $1,000,000 and the PB and MM odds for doing that are a lot lower than the Pick 6 odds.

In Illinois, which has three drawings a week for the Pick 6, only 11 jackpots have been paid out a year for the last two years, and the payouts for 5 of 6 are pathetic.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          17905 Posts
          Posted: February 22, 2011, 6:18 pm - IP Logged

I play all three depending on their jackpot size and my budget.  Right now, Ohio Classic Lottery has a $22.7M jackpot with odds of winning it of 1:14M so I play it on Monday and PowerBall has a $155.0M jackpot with odds of 1:195M of winning it so I play it on Wednesday and Saturday.  When MegaMillions jackpot goes over $100.0M, I may switch it with one of the others, most likely OCL because the odds of winning something are better with PB and MM.

* you don't need more tickets, just the right ticket * 
          * your best chance at winning a lottery jackpot is to buy a ticket * 
               Wink 

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
            Zeta Reticuli Star System
            United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            9079 Posts
            Posted: February 22, 2011, 6:46 pm - IP Logged

I forgot to mention I was thinking of Illinois' jackpots, which usually aren't all that high.

NY, California, Florida, Texas and Ohio, maybe Pennsylvania, I'd play the state game. Since Illinois now has PB and MM I'm wondering of the state game will even survive. Monday night is the only one of the three drawings when it's not competing with MM or PB.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Ohio
              United States
              Member #106212
              February 14, 2011
              41 Posts
              Posted: February 22, 2011, 11:01 pm - IP Logged

My State Lotto takes priority at the moment being 22.7M and 1:14M chance..

Classic (when high cause better odds) -> PB - MM (priority on whichever is higher)

When classic is hit, i wont play it until it hits 18M. Big Grin

JP Wins 2011: $3.00(1) Ten-OH, $7.00(1) PowerBall, $70.00(1)/$2.00(7) OH Classic;

Scratch Wins 2011: $25.00(1)/$20.00(3) 100K A Year for Life, $5.00(1)/$1.00(8)/$2.00(6)/ENTRY(3) Cash Explosion, $8.00(3)/$2.00(7) Double Doubler; 

"You Can't Win If You Don't Play" ** But don't expect to win just because you play.

AuntiePat's avatar - animaniacs10
                Just outside of Cleveland, OH
                United States
                Member #54079
                August 3, 2007
                106 Posts
                Posted: February 23, 2011, 4:28 am - IP Logged

RJ-Thanks for the odds info WRT Ohio Classic Lotto--with the JP as high as it is and more advantageous odds, I'll have to give it a more serious look. 

I would have thought with a smaller number field, Mega would have slightly better odds than PB, but the odds for both are astronomical--just that the payout for the same size JP are better for MM than PB--i.e.  PB 100M winner gets about 33M lump sum payout in OH after taxes, whereas MM 100M winner gets about 43M lump sum payout in OH after taxes. 

A most informative post.

Milwaukee, WI
                  United States
                  Member #3131
                  December 27, 2003
                  665 Posts
                  Posted: February 26, 2011, 2:25 pm - IP Logged

RJ-Thanks for the odds info WRT Ohio Classic Lotto--with the JP as high as it is and more advantageous odds, I'll have to give it a more serious look. 

I would have thought with a smaller number field, Mega would have slightly better odds than PB, but the odds for both are astronomical--just that the payout for the same size JP are better for MM than PB--i.e.  PB 100M winner gets about 33M lump sum payout in OH after taxes, whereas MM 100M winner gets about 43M lump sum payout in OH after taxes. 

A most informative post.

Wish I could take a trip to OH!

Illinois lotto at about  1 Mil odds won $39Mil...

I think that he was headed to jail for some crime. So he was going to be the richest in jail...