Welcome Guest
The time is now 6:27 pm
You last visited October 22, 2014, 6:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Special 3-digit code on all Scratch ticket lottery numbers?

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 4 years ago by uprrman.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
Los Angeles, California
United States
Member #103816
January 5, 2011
1530 Posts
Posted: March 5, 2011, 5:22 pm - IP Logged

Does anyone know: What is the significance of the special 3-digit code on all Scratch ticket lottery numbers?

On CA lottery Scratchers, every ticket has a 3-digit number in random positions that are "boxed" on the 13-digit lottery number. I notice on some pictures of scratch tickets in other states that there is a line over 3-digits on some of those also, instead of being boxed.

3-digit

I just know the first 3 digits of the lottery number is always the Game number. For each particular game there are many corresponding Book numbers printed and distributed, with varying numbers of Tickets in each book. The book+ticket number combo is unique, as well as each full lottery number is unique. But I don't know the relationship of the special moving 3-digit boxed numbers, and what relationship they have to the remaining numbers. Positions and numbers on the 3-digit boxes on Winners or Non-winners seems to be random, or I have not found the correlation yet.

Anyone?

Tnplayer805's avatar - G 14_v78828750_Small.JPG
    North Dakota
    United States
    Member #13397
    April 5, 2005
    1623 Posts
    Posted: March 6, 2011, 1:06 am - IP Logged

This code is to validate your winning (or losing ticket).  Basically, when the cashier scans your ticket... he or she must enter this code in order to process your prize.

How are you going to win if you don't play?

Los Angeles, California
      United States
      Member #103816
      January 5, 2011
      1530 Posts
      Posted: March 9, 2011, 12:09 pm - IP Logged

This code is to validate your winning (or losing ticket).  Basically, when the cashier scans your ticket... he or she must enter this code in order to process your prize.

Yeah, I see the clerks type in what I assume is the game and 3-digit code, but wondering why they do that?

When you redeem the draw/jackpot lottery tickets, they just insert it into the machine to be scanned and the amount pops up. But for the scratch cards, why is it that they can't just scan with the revealed barcode, and also need to enter the 3-digit code portion manually?

Is it some kind of extra security or hash or verification of a valid prize? I don't get it.

I was logging down all the ticket numbers of scratchers I was playing, but wasn't keeping track of the sliding 3-digit code. Just curious if it has some other meaning.

B$Rizzle's avatar - a4leds
        The Ville, FL
        United States
        Member #95881
        August 19, 2010
        1708 Posts
        Posted: March 11, 2011, 6:24 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, I see the clerks type in what I assume is the game and 3-digit code, but wondering why they do that?

When you redeem the draw/jackpot lottery tickets, they just insert it into the machine to be scanned and the amount pops up. But for the scratch cards, why is it that they can't just scan with the revealed barcode, and also need to enter the 3-digit code portion manually?

Is it some kind of extra security or hash or verification of a valid prize? I don't get it.

I was logging down all the ticket numbers of scratchers I was playing, but wasn't keeping track of the sliding 3-digit code. Just curious if it has some other meaning.

Well, if retailers were able to just scan the barcode and see if its a winner or not, every retailer in the country would scan them to see if its a winner before selling it =)

The security code is a validation method, that when typed in, it coincides with the barcode on the back and equals a prize amount. The code underneath the latex coating is a specific algorithm that people are unable to figure out the significance. If people were able to "crack" the scratch off code before scratching it, there would be huge integrity issues.

The online games like lotto & powerball only need a single barcode since the drawing is in the future and sales stop before the drawing. Not really any way to "cheat" on those

Los Angeles, California
          United States
          Member #103816
          January 5, 2011
          1530 Posts
          Posted: March 12, 2011, 1:37 pm - IP Logged

Well, if retailers were able to just scan the barcode and see if its a winner or not, every retailer in the country would scan them to see if its a winner before selling it =)

The security code is a validation method, that when typed in, it coincides with the barcode on the back and equals a prize amount. The code underneath the latex coating is a specific algorithm that people are unable to figure out the significance. If people were able to "crack" the scratch off code before scratching it, there would be huge integrity issues.

The online games like lotto & powerball only need a single barcode since the drawing is in the future and sales stop before the drawing. Not really any way to "cheat" on those

Well, there's TWO barcodes on the Scratch ticket:

The one on the back I assume is just the Serial number, which is made up of the Game/Book/Ticket numbers. Of course you cannot scan the back barcode, that does not tell you anything more than the front, and would defeat the purpose of the scratch-off covering.

It's the hidden checkered barcode on the front that I was referring to.  That revealed barcode can be scanned to tell if you won or not. I don't know what that barcode contains, but I assume it represents the Lottery number, which probably contains the game and result in some kind of encoding.

My theory is that the sliding 3-digit code may be an outcome/result type for the game? I have not verified it and could be wrong on that. It could just be some random additional security check that the clerk has to key in manually. But that seems kind of redundant if they already scan the Lottery number to type in an additional 3-digit number by hand?

Ticket Lottery numbers

California
            United States
            Member #106749
            February 23, 2011
            13 Posts
            Posted: March 20, 2011, 11:56 pm - IP Logged

Jon, the stores here in California scan the barcode on the back of the card then type in the numbers in the box! If you want to self check your card you may use the barcode that is on the front the one you scratch off. I hope this helps you out!

soothsayer's avatar - Soothsayer jpg?
              SC
              United States
              Member #56656
              November 28, 2007
              508 Posts
              Posted: March 27, 2011, 10:38 pm - IP Logged

The boxed 3-digit number under the latex is simply a back-up means to scan tickets. The 3-D barcode under the latex is the primary means to verify winning/losing tickets. If the primary barcode becomes corrupted/defaced then the clerk can scan the barcode on the back of the ticket and enter the 3-digit code to verify.

Let the good times roll...

soothsayer's avatar - Soothsayer jpg?
                SC
                United States
                Member #56656
                November 28, 2007
                508 Posts
                Posted: March 27, 2011, 10:48 pm - IP Logged

The boxed 3-digit number under the latex is simply a back-up means to scan tickets. The 3-D barcode under the latex is the primary means to verify winning/losing tickets. If the primary barcode becomes corrupted/defaced then the clerk can scan the barcode on the back of the ticket and enter the 3-digit code to verify.

Also the 3-D barcode contains all the other printed numbers on the ticket( i.e. Game #, Serial #, Package #, Ticket #, and the 13 digit algorithm with 3 boxed numbers).

Let the good times roll...

NYC
                  United States
                  Member #107860
                  March 16, 2011
                  13 Posts
                  Posted: April 6, 2011, 3:43 pm - IP Logged

In NY we have letter codes on all the tickets. All u have to do is find the 3 letters to see if u are a winner.

Only winners have a F Z I O U H W E on them.

uprrman's avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
                    harvard,il
                    United States
                    Member #96758
                    September 4, 2010
                    1271 Posts
                    Posted: April 16, 2011, 10:26 am - IP Logged

In NY we have letter codes on all the tickets. All u have to do is find the 3 letters to see if u are a winner.

Only winners have a F Z I O U H W E on them.

what amount is the z?

rick d

i want to be a millionaire a second time!