Welcome Guest
The time is now 9:54 am
You last visited August 1, 2014, 9:51 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why does New York always win MM & PB?

Topic closed. 33 replies. Last post 3 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
jjtheprince's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
St. Louis, MO
United States
Member #106138
February 13, 2011
259 Posts
Posted: April 16, 2011, 10:10 am - IP Logged

I don't think it's because they sell more tickets really.  Have you all noticed this state wins more than any of the others.

I think I'm going to have someone in NY buy tickets for me & mail them to me.  I'll almost be guarateed to win (at least something)!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    17741 Posts
    Posted: April 16, 2011, 10:23 am - IP Logged

New York not only sell more tickets than most states to have more winners than most states but they sell more losers too.  Having someone buy your tickets in New York will give you a chance to lose in NY too.

* you don't need more tickets * 
    * just the right ticket * 
       Wink 

md
      United States
      Member #14047
      April 20, 2005
      541 Posts
      Posted: April 16, 2011, 10:28 am - IP Logged

I don't think it's because they sell more tickets really.  Have you all noticed this state wins more than any of the others.

I think I'm going to have someone in NY buy tickets for me & mail them to me.  I'll almost be guarateed to win (at least something)!

Although Im confident the MM & PB games are run with integrity, it is still disheartening to wake up many mornings to see if Ive won, and see another New York winning.  It would be more digestible to see someone from another state has won.  Like Maryland. Florida. Virginia........etc.

But, although disheaertened from time to time, Im not discouraged from my belief that my ship will come in, and Ill sail out into the sea of Jackpot Millions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

St. Louis, MO
        United States
        Member #106138
        February 13, 2011
        259 Posts
        Posted: April 16, 2011, 10:42 am - IP Logged

Although Im confident the MM & PB games are run with integrity, it is still disheartening to wake up many mornings to see if Ive won, and see another New York winning.  It would be more digestible to see someone from another state has won.  Like Maryland. Florida. Virginia........etc.

But, although disheaertened from time to time, Im not discouraged from my belief that my ship will come in, and Ill sail out into the sea of Jackpot Millions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah it's not like they're cheating or anything, but many, many more tickets are purchased in all the other states combined & New York seems to come out on top quite often.

I have a relative in Jersey City, NJ who goes into NYC a lot.  I'll have her start buying tickets for me sometime in the near future, and I'll keep track of the results.  I have a feeling more of my tickets from there will win more often than the ones I buy here in Missouri.

bobby623's avatar - abstract
          San Angelo, Texas
          United States
          Member #1097
          January 31, 2003
          1106 Posts
          Posted: April 16, 2011, 11:19 am - IP Logged

According to a website that tracks PB and MM sales, $26 million MM tickets were sold in Calif. for the $312m jackpot.
          Nearly 21 million were sold in NY, where the jackpot was won. About 11.5m tickets sold in New Jersey. In Texas, 8.2 million were sold.

Last night, 1,675,114 MegaMillions tickets were sold in Texas. Only 41,427 won a prize.

It seems where you buy a ticket doesn't matter much.

GTO-1965's avatar - metheboyz
            Ft Wright KY
            United States
            Member #102932
            December 28, 2010
            93 Posts
            Posted: April 16, 2011, 11:20 am - IP Logged

I did a little looking and found on the PB web site that Flordia has the most winners(in the last drawing)... total of 74,192 this past draw for PB... NY was second with 38,623..  Now this is total winners not jackpot... I couldn't find stats on MB site... 

This would say Flordia bought the most tickets by a lot NY 2nd ..    NY has won some good jackpots lately so these stats dont really speak to that... Just who or what state is buying most tickets I would guess.  Remember I couldnt find stats for MB would be interesting to see..

Now as for NY winning jackpots... seems to me we would have to know about the winning tickets.. are they quick-picks or self picks?   That would make a big difference.. as if say all quick pick winners are in a state that would lead to believe most qp's generated(more tickets bought there) ... or better machines...Wink

HiFi's avatar - police

United States
              Member #3792
              February 21, 2004
              197 Posts
              Posted: April 16, 2011, 1:03 pm - IP Logged

i dont know but im sick of them always winning

GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
                NY State
                United States
                Member #92611
                June 10, 2010
                2036 Posts
                Posted: April 16, 2011, 1:25 pm - IP Logged

You can have someone in New York buy and mail you tickets, but I'd recommend they not tell the clerk at the Post Office there are lottery tickets in the envelope.

It's illegal to put any type of lottery tickets in the U.S. Mail.   If the clerk knows there are lottery tickets in the envelope, they probably wont accept it.

You could try FedEx or UPS instead, but it'll probably cost more money.  Or just have whomever keep their mouth shut when mailing you the tix!!

Winning a Jackpot - unlikely but POSSIBLE!

trap574's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
                  Adk NY
                  United States
                  Member #108851
                  April 1, 2011
                  1550 Posts
                  Posted: April 16, 2011, 3:26 pm - IP Logged

Everything in NY is as crooked as corkscrews!!  Just my 2cents.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                    Oklahoma
                    United States
                    Member #82391
                    November 12, 2009
                    5223 Posts
                    Posted: April 16, 2011, 3:49 pm - IP Logged

LOL......

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                      adelaide sa
                      Australia
                      Member #37136
                      April 11, 2006
                      2782 Posts
                      Posted: April 17, 2011, 2:51 am - IP Logged

because merryl lynch are the auditors, and most of their buddies live in NYC.

2014 winnings

JAN -$48.50;  FEB  -$77.5; MAR -$18.05;  APR -$96.05 MAY -$61.10; JUN $-85;

Raven62's avatar - binary
                        New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #17843
                        June 28, 2005
                        17937 Posts
                        Posted: April 17, 2011, 6:27 am - IP Logged

Buying more Tickets won't make You Win: Playing the Numbers Drawn Will! LOL

Why weren't You the One in Missouri that Matched the First Five Numbers?

5 Players Matched 5+0:
                        - 1 from Colorado with Power Play
                        - 1 from Illinois
                        - 1 from Indiana with Power Play
                        - 1 from Michigan
                        - 1 from Missouri

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

St. Louis, MO
                          United States
                          Member #106138
                          February 13, 2011
                          259 Posts
                          Posted: April 17, 2011, 10:15 am - IP Logged

Buying more Tickets won't make You Win: Playing the Numbers Drawn Will! LOL

Why weren't You the One in Missouri that Matched the First Five Numbers?

5 Players Matched 5+0:
                          - 1 from Colorado with Power Play
                          - 1 from Illinois
                          - 1 from Indiana with Power Play
                          - 1 from Michigan
                          - 1 from Missouri

Because I just have awful luck, I bought my three tickets and not a single number matched on any (as usual).

How many tickets do you think people in New York buy on average per person?  I'd say most people in my state buy about $5.  Most I've ever seen was when I was going through Indiana one time when MM was around $270,000,000.  I bought my 3 tickets at a c-store, but a guy in line before me bought $400 worth in $20's.  He really held up the line there for sure!

Raven62's avatar - binary
                            New Jersey
                            United States
                            Member #17843
                            June 28, 2005
                            17937 Posts
                            Posted: April 17, 2011, 7:24 pm - IP Logged

Because I just have awful luck, I bought my three tickets and not a single number matched on any (as usual).

How many tickets do you think people in New York buy on average per person?  I'd say most people in my state buy about $5.  Most I've ever seen was when I was going through Indiana one time when MM was around $270,000,000.  I bought my 3 tickets at a c-store, but a guy in line before me bought $400 worth in $20's.  He really held up the line there for sure!

If you have awful luck: How is having someone buy Tickets for You in New York going to Help?

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                              Oklahoma
                              United States
                              Member #82391
                              November 12, 2009
                              5223 Posts
                              Posted: April 18, 2011, 8:37 am - IP Logged

don't get discouraged jjtheprince..... your time will come, maybe you should focus on your State lotto game I know if Oklahoma had a State lotto game I would not play the Mega or PB that's just me though.