Welcome Guest
The time is now 7:30 am
You last visited April 24, 2014, 7:23 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Claiming lottery winnings anonymously in California

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 3 years ago by ttech10.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
janem's avatar - cat computer.jpg
California
United States
Member #69399
January 9, 2009
380 Posts
Posted: April 29, 2011, 7:09 pm - IP Logged

Having read Perfecttiming2's very useful information on claiming Superlotto winnings anonymously, I was curious if this also applied to Mega Millions winners as well. I did some searching on here and found that there was no definitive answer, so I emailed the California State Lottery and asked if claiming anonymously by using an LLC or Trust is applicable to both SuperLotto and Megamillions. This is the response I received this morning:

"It does apply to both and Mega Millions if won in the State of California. Other state lotteries may have different rulings on how their Mega Millions claims are handled."

So there you go. You can claim Mega Millions anonymously.  Banana 

I have a feeling though, that the lottery office does not let winners know about this option, and that the winner must take the initiative if they wish claim their winnings using an LLC or Trust.

San Diego, CA
    United States
    Member #58386
    February 12, 2008
    267 Posts
    Posted: April 29, 2011, 8:41 pm - IP Logged

Isn't the name behind the LLC or living trust part of public records?  If someone wanted to find out the name behind a living trust or LLC, wouldn't it be easy to do?

joshuacloak's avatar - avatar 23415.gif

United States
      Member #32537
      February 12, 2006
      639 Posts
      Posted: April 29, 2011, 9:14 pm - IP Logged

Blue,  their can be a trust within a trust within a trust

so lets say the lottery it self would not even know the winners

they Have the First trust papers, the one claiming and paying the irs

they req to see  offical trust papers to make sure its Real legal trust, but  2 can Play that game

then who the beneficiaries, a other trust can be one,   they Have no right to that trust papers

the beneficiarie has 0 legal things put on him, hes not the one paying tax, hes not the one having to sign or show any papers

besides the irs is getting their 35% cut off the frist trust, so they have no legal ground to stand on to whine about not knowing who hiding behind door number 2 called 2nd trust.

ofc govt irs will know who sure won even thro their getting their accounts, your lawyer, your us banks that tells all to irs,

but the lottery it self , state govt, won't know jack  , and if they won't know jack, you can bet no one else will LOL

if you had looked at ever Trust claiming in news past story's you may of packed up on it and didn't even know what  just discovered

their was past story's of reports just trust's claiming lottery prizes yes, , and having a "education trust" also as a beneficiarie, it was done for easy tax matter.

but my point it, it has been happening in front of everyone eyes and no one seems to notice, Rofl

the main trust claimed, and has other trust's under it, get some of the cash so to speak,

trust me, a good trust laywer, the ones paid the right amount for their talent/time , can make so many Do Not Pass Go, Do not Collect 200    monpoly speak for stopping others ever finding out your identity  with so many legal loops its can go into pure comedy of crazy over kill

the sad part is,  winners are the weakest link 99% of the time

, not the legal options, so people just Think they can't claim and hide their identity, no its just false belief due to to Many stupid winners , they go to a lawyer, the wrong ones, lazy ones,  who glady take your money, and whatever you ask of them they do  so you think their a good lawyer

,   get a good trust lawyer and demand the world of them, it will take the power to remove whole mountains to discover whoever you are atfer a proper trust defence is set up

sense not even lottery will know who you are with many trust defence.

San Diego, CA
        United States
        Member #58386
        February 12, 2008
        267 Posts
        Posted: April 29, 2011, 9:58 pm - IP Logged

This is interesting.

Q:

ARE THE DETAILS OF A LIVING TRUST PUBLIC RECORD?

NO. Your confidentiality is maintained. On the other hand, probate proceedings are part of the public record. Anyone who wishes to see what your assets and debts were, merely has to request the court file. ... more

I have seen this other places as well.

Once you are gone, who cares?

California
          United States
          Member #69399
          January 9, 2009
          380 Posts
          Posted: April 29, 2011, 11:05 pm - IP Logged

The California Lottery website doesn't print the name of the LLC or Trust that is used when you claim your winnings. At least I have never seen one listed. It just says that the winner chose to remain anonymous. I'm not sure what happens if someone (the media) calls the Lottery Office and asks for that specific information. Would be interesting to know what the procedure there is.

I found this:

"When it comes to actually “signing” llc formation documents required to form a limited liability company in a state, the laws generally do not require that a member (owner) sign the filing documents.  The laws do require that an ORGANIZER sign it.  So a person must sign it but that person can be an owner, a lawyer, a document filing services company agent or anyone you desire to sign them as long as it is an actual person.

Now, this question also raises another issue because I assume it is being driven by the desire for the owner of a business to keep his or her ownership private. One of the benefits of having a limited liability company in MOST states is that owners of the LLC business are not a matter of public record."

Milwaukee, WI
            United States
            Member #3131
            December 27, 2003
            665 Posts
            Posted: May 1, 2011, 6:41 am - IP Logged

Why would you want to live your entire life in hiding. If you are out spending/enjoying your money, SOMEBODY will know.I would rather be out there LIVING!

OwlCreekBridge's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
              lottoville
              United States
              Member #95476
              August 11, 2010
              132 Posts
              Posted: May 12, 2011, 11:43 pm - IP Logged

Having read Perfecttiming2's very useful information on claiming Superlotto winnings anonymously, I was curious if this also applied to Mega Millions winners as well. I did some searching on here and found that there was no definitive answer, so I emailed the California State Lottery and asked if claiming anonymously by using an LLC or Trust is applicable to both SuperLotto and Megamillions. This is the response I received this morning:

"It does apply to both and Mega Millions if won in the State of California. Other state lotteries may have different rulings on how their Mega Millions claims are handled."

So there you go. You can claim Mega Millions anonymously.  Banana 

I have a feeling though, that the lottery office does not let winners know about this option, and that the winner must take the initiative if they wish claim their winnings using an LLC or Trust.

thanks for the info. Now it's just a simple matter of beating 176 million to one odds for Mega Millions and 42 million to one odds for SuperLotto. Seeing how we had to beat a billion to one odds in order to be born, that shouldn't be a problem. Banana

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                Texas
                United States
                Member #92332
                June 5, 2010
                752 Posts
                Posted: May 13, 2011, 4:28 am - IP Logged

Why would you want to live your entire life in hiding. If you are out spending/enjoying your money, SOMEBODY will know.I would rather be out there LIVING!

I don't think it's really about living your life hiding, but rather living your life not having your name on dozens of websites and newspapers listing your full name and city and how much you're now worth, leading hundreds of people to harass you.

I would do the same to keep my name out of the public eye, except for those few who would care enough to do the research. I would also have a few that noticed my extra spending and would be suspicious, but I could also still go around giving out my name at places and not have to deal with them automatically knowing I had won the lottery.

I actually think you would live more of your life in hiding if you collected publicly as opposed to anonymously, as with publicly you'd be scared to let your name slip to someone you don't fully know or keeping your address secret as to not let it fall into the wrong hands.

California
                  United States
                  Member #69399
                  January 9, 2009
                  380 Posts
                  Posted: May 13, 2011, 3:10 pm - IP Logged

I don't think it's really about living your life hiding, but rather living your life not having your name on dozens of websites and newspapers listing your full name and city and how much you're now worth, leading hundreds of people to harass you.

I would do the same to keep my name out of the public eye, except for those few who would care enough to do the research. I would also have a few that noticed my extra spending and would be suspicious, but I could also still go around giving out my name at places and not have to deal with them automatically knowing I had won the lottery.

I actually think you would live more of your life in hiding if you collected publicly as opposed to anonymously, as with publicly you'd be scared to let your name slip to someone you don't fully know or keeping your address secret as to not let it fall into the wrong hands.

I agree with you completely  ttech10. Collecting your winnings anonmously gives the winner the freedom from worrying about scammers, con artists and criminals who prey on anyone they see as vulnerable. There is an article I read titled " Florida Woman Mistaken For Lottey Winner" which  is a good example of why claiming anonymously is the best way to live your life without added stress and worry. In the article, a woman who has a simiralr name to a $2 milllion winner, is getting harrassing and threatening calls and texts from people who want some of her winnings. I have read that actual lottery winners are deluged with calls and requests and have had scary encounters. In my opinion, it is just the safer option to remain as anonymous as possible.

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                    Texas
                    United States
                    Member #92332
                    June 5, 2010
                    752 Posts
                    Posted: May 14, 2011, 12:14 am - IP Logged

I agree with you completely  ttech10. Collecting your winnings anonmously gives the winner the freedom from worrying about scammers, con artists and criminals who prey on anyone they see as vulnerable. There is an article I read titled " Florida Woman Mistaken For Lottey Winner" which  is a good example of why claiming anonymously is the best way to live your life without added stress and worry. In the article, a woman who has a simiralr name to a $2 milllion winner, is getting harrassing and threatening calls and texts from people who want some of her winnings. I have read that actual lottery winners are deluged with calls and requests and have had scary encounters. In my opinion, it is just the safer option to remain as anonymous as possible.

Yea Todd had that story on here. I've also heard of others from the 'Lottery Changed My Life' show where friends have turned on the winner or other people holding a grudge against the winner have acted out towards them, which is definitely another reason to keep your name as hidden as possible.

For me the main thing is just keeping my name away from being connected to "lottery winner". It's nice now being able to introduce myself to others and not having to deal with those people having preconcieved notions of me just because of them hearing I had won the lottery. I'd still want to be able to get out and meet people with who I am being an unknown except maybe them knowing we have mutual friends. My address and phone number are decently private so I'm not too worried about having those scammers and con artists trying to contact me, as not many would be able to.

I'd also, regrettably, need to limit family members that knew as many of them would immediately begin thinking of ways they could benefit from my winning.