Welcome Guest
The time is now 3:37 pm
You last visited September 17, 2014, 3:35 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lottery Laws in the USA ??

Topic closed. 13 replies. Last post 3 years ago by HoLeeKau.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #97950
September 27, 2010
12 Posts
Posted: June 19, 2011, 3:31 pm - IP Logged

Hi Everyone ~~~

I hope your day is great ...

I have a question regarding lottery laws in the USA.

My questions are these -

1) Is it against the USA Laws to purchase lottery tickets online while you are within the USA ???

2) How about lottery tickets from another country - for example the Elgordo ? - Is it against the USA Laws to purchase online elgordo lottery tickets while you are within the USA ???

3) If you win, what would happen ?

What?

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    -Ridge Runner- Oracle of the Appalachians
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: June 19, 2011, 5:33 pm - IP Logged

Hi LuckyStrike,

I don't know much about laws and such and only obey the ones that make sense so I can't tell you much about that.

I did used to smoke Lucky's though years ago, and your name reminded me of that.

They used to be the number 1 seller and now you don't even see em anymore.

I don't smoke anymore but I wouldn't mind havin' a Lucky with my Jack right now.

I'm sure somebody will answer your questions pretty quick.

Good luck to ya, LuckyStrike!

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      9057 Posts
      Posted: June 19, 2011, 6:28 pm - IP Logged

LuckyStrike888,

Not sure but I don't think it's legal to buy tickets in foreign lotteries in the U.S.

Back in the days of the Irish Sweepstakes it was illegal to buy the tickets but if you won anything substantial you were expectdd to pay the taxes on it.

Go figure.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
        Member #81843
        October 31, 2009
        856 Posts
        Posted: June 20, 2011, 12:14 am - IP Logged

You’re kidding,…
        right?

You need to talk to a member named Pumpi.

If Japan can weasel their way around laws like Bush
        did and disregard nuclear regulation to be unsafe and dump radioactive waste
        into the ocean, who’s gonna stop you except the competition? Deregulation is
        the password to taxation exemption and entitlement. You don’t need no stik’n
        laws and if you think like the big boys you can pay whatever fine is imposed
        and still come out smelling like a turd.

If honesty was the best policy it went the way of the Dodo along with the buyouts. I guess it all depends how well you are hooked
        up in large circles of influence. Most of the major financial institutions worldwide
        comply with ‘tracking and reporting’ so if what you are doing is illegal, you
        get flagged. It is illegal to cheat on your taxes so as long as the taker gets
        his cut you can live like Capone. Tax laws
        are in favor of the rich so live it up.

Join the ranks of the uber rich, there are many who live in lavish luxury like royals at
        the expense of the poor for whom the
        laws are not favorable of. They are not
        framed in the laws like the common clay is. Be a1 %'r.

Get your own PAC fund, a good group of lobbyists and make sure you are at the ARMS fund raiser in
        California next month. If your lucky, you can spend some time at the Bohemian Grove
        with who’s who and eat cherry pie filling out of the navel of a man-god.

DD

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
          Dump Water Florida
          United States
          Member #380
          June 5, 2002
          2910 Posts
          Posted: June 20, 2011, 3:47 am - IP Logged

Hi Everyone ~~~

I hope your day is great ...

I have a question regarding lottery laws in the USA.

My questions are these -

1) Is it against the USA Laws to purchase lottery tickets online while you are within the USA ???

2) How about lottery tickets from another country - for example the Elgordo ? - Is it against the USA Laws to purchase online elgordo lottery tickets while you are within the USA ???

3) If you win, what would happen ?

What?

1) You're not really asking the right question.  The sites online that buy a ticket for you, hold it until the drawing and send you the winnings or apply the the winnings against the next draw, are if structured properly preforming a butler service and it is perfectly legal for you to use them.  See USA MEGA on the left column.

2) It isn't illegal for you to purchase a lottery ticket from a location where its sale is perfectly legal.  The problem is most money transfer services are prohibited from sending your money to the above location or sending winnings money back to you from such a seller.  If you were to have a bank account in said country and setup a lottery ticket purchase program for yourself that wouldn't be a problem collecting winnings and sending yourself a check from your Canadian account (though you are supposed to declare it on your taxes), it would be no different if you flew to Canada, bought a long play ticket and flew back.  Collecting on a win would be a similar process. 

3) If the service tells you they can't or won't take your business, don't try to find a way around it, as it gives them the perfect excuse not to pay.

This is not legal advice, just an opine based on what I've seen and read. 

BobP

sunjune6's avatar - Lottery-010.jpg
            Atlanta,GA
            United States
            Member #79429
            September 1, 2009
            103 Posts
            Posted: June 20, 2011, 8:09 am - IP Logged

1) You're not really asking the right question.  The sites online that buy a ticket for you, hold it until the drawing and send you the winnings or apply the the winnings against the next draw, are if structured properly preforming a butler service and it is perfectly legal for you to use them.  See USA MEGA on the left column.

2) It isn't illegal for you to purchase a lottery ticket from a location where its sale is perfectly legal.  The problem is most money transfer services are prohibited from sending your money to the above location or sending winnings money back to you from such a seller.  If you were to have a bank account in said country and setup a lottery ticket purchase program for yourself that wouldn't be a problem collecting winnings and sending yourself a check from your Canadian account (though you are supposed to declare it on your taxes), it would be no different if you flew to Canada, bought a long play ticket and flew back.  Collecting on a win would be a similar process. 

3) If the service tells you they can't or won't take your business, don't try to find a way around it, as it gives them the perfect excuse not to pay.

BobP

Great post BobP. Live and learn. The longer you live; the more you learn. Thanks.

If you think you can or if you think you can't you are right!

Today could be the day!

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
              Oklahoma
              United States
              Member #82391
              November 12, 2009
              5286 Posts
              Posted: June 20, 2011, 8:31 am - IP Logged

BobP

Thanks for the info BobPThumbs Up

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                Member #47420
                November 4, 2006
                3930 Posts
                Posted: June 20, 2011, 1:27 pm - IP Logged

You’re kidding,…
                right?

You need to talk to a member named Pumpi.

If Japan can weasel their way around laws like Bush
                did and disregard nuclear regulation to be unsafe and dump radioactive waste
                into the ocean, who’s gonna stop you except the competition? Deregulation is
                the password to taxation exemption and entitlement. You don’t need no stik’n
                laws and if you think like the big boys you can pay whatever fine is imposed
                and still come out smelling like a turd.

If honesty was the best policy it went the way of the Dodo along with the buyouts. I guess it all depends how well you are hooked
                up in large circles of influence. Most of the major financial institutions worldwide
                comply with ‘tracking and reporting’ so if what you are doing is illegal, you
                get flagged. It is illegal to cheat on your taxes so as long as the taker gets
                his cut you can live like Capone. Tax laws
                are in favor of the rich so live it up.

Join the ranks of the uber rich, there are many who live in lavish luxury like royals at
                the expense of the poor for whom the
                laws are not favorable of. They are not
                framed in the laws like the common clay is. Be a1 %'r.

Get your own PAC fund, a good group of lobbyists and make sure you are at the ARMS fund raiser in
                California next month. If your lucky, you can spend some time at the Bohemian Grove
                with who’s who and eat cherry pie filling out of the navel of a man-god.

DD

After reaing this kinda post don't you think going down to the corner drug store might be a good idea..Your welcome..

PS..tiggs does agree pumpi would be the way to go..

Pure luck

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                  Zeta Reticuli Star System
                  United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  9057 Posts
                  Posted: June 20, 2011, 7:16 pm - IP Logged

BobP

"2) It isn't illegal for you to purchase a lottery ticket from a location where its sale is perfectly legal....."

BobP,

Just curious. That being the case, why is Massachusetts the only state lottery that will sell subscription tickets out of state?

Also, If I remember right, someone once posted something about a ceiling of $1 million on jackpot game payoffs on tickets bought on site, regardless of the advertised jackpots.

Something to do with what you said about a "butler service" I guess.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                    Member #81843
                    October 31, 2009
                    856 Posts
                    Posted: June 20, 2011, 8:17 pm - IP Logged

After reaing this kinda post don't you think going down to the corner drug store might be a good idea..Your welcome..

PS..tiggs does agree pumpi would be the way to go..

http://www.theouthousers.com/forum/the-asylum/japanese-scientist-synthesizes-meat-from-feces-t66716.html

Hey Tiggs,
                    knock yourself out at the corner drug store, while you’re out, stop by for a Bush
                    burger. Don’t ask about the special sauce, you don’t want to know.

DD

Hey I just heard today that mesicans in mesico by 60-70 % do not observe their own laws.
                    If that is not enough, they come here to break our laws and get away with it.
                    Our corruption is much more sophisticated and breaking our laws must mean one
                    has really moved up in the world. How do you say ‘eat the peanut protein out of
                    my poop ‘ in spannish? I think we should feed the world starting with mesico.

TheGameGrl's avatar - necros
                      Pennsylvania
                      United States
                      Member #17084
                      June 10, 2005
                      3116 Posts
                      Posted: June 20, 2011, 9:49 pm - IP Logged

US code title 18, Part 1, Chapter 95, Section 1953. Read it. It should clarify the questions. Where you can get thru the loop is a clearinghouse venture that acts on your hehalf, but there is a catch. THey get a percentage and your monies must be claimed thru the IRS when funds are relinquished to an American based, Territorial account.

Signature quote-If I'd agree with you , we'd both be wrong.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                        Dump Water Florida
                        United States
                        Member #380
                        June 5, 2002
                        2910 Posts
                        Posted: June 21, 2011, 4:39 am - IP Logged

BobP

"2) It isn't illegal for you to purchase a lottery ticket from a location where its sale is perfectly legal....."

BobP,

Just curious. That being the case, why is Massachusetts the only state lottery that will sell subscription tickets out of state?

Also, If I remember right, someone once posted something about a ceiling of $1 million on jackpot game payoffs on tickets bought on site, regardless of the advertised jackpots.

What I'm saying is you could travel to any state or country with a lottery, walk into the  local lottery store and buy a ticket, cash it if you win, take the money home or wire it whatever. 

Lottery states have a vested interest in keeping their sales stable.  They would rather not have customers chasing jackpots around the country when they could be playing at home.  This means they do not have to adjust the game to attract customers, etc.  The word monopoly ring a bell?  Until this mindset changes, until they all see a way to make more selling online, we are trapped by their system.  There are elottery service providers that are ready to step in and provide the web services when we're ready.

I would say Massachusetts is testing the waters and not really pushing marketing to out of state residents.  Not like we're seeing ads in Florida to buy Massachusetts season tickets.

http://www.masslottery.com/games/lottery/season-tickets.html

There is a company whose name can not be posted here that markets butler services through dozens of cookie cutter websites that offer to pay for ads on lottery web sites.  Their prize was limited to a million because they banked their own bets.  They say they no longer do this, but how can anyone really know until they win and try to collect.  That's why I'd favor USAMega over some site that appeared yesterday.

BobP

feri32's avatar - nw gnome.jpg
                          Budapest
                          Hungary
                          Member #111907
                          June 5, 2011
                          35 Posts
                          Posted: June 21, 2011, 7:37 am - IP Logged

BobP, your last paragraph sounds really mysterious ... I guess most of us know the first one you mention, but who is the one who just appeared yesterday? If you do not want to post their name, just PM it to me please :)

I always play random numbers

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                            Idaho
                            United States
                            Member #94285
                            July 17, 2010
                            1705 Posts
                            Posted: June 21, 2011, 9:01 am - IP Logged

BobP

BobP,

Mass still won't sell MegaMillions subscriptions by mail or phone from out of state, but it does sound like you can do it that way if you have a Mass address.  I don't understand that reasoning.