Welcome Guest
The time is now 3:22 pm
You last visited July 24, 2014, 3:20 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

New Powerball payout table

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 3 years ago by weshar75.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
jimjwright's avatar - Yellow 3.png
Park City, UT
United States
Member #69864
January 18, 2009
832 Posts
Posted: December 17, 2011, 4:31 am - IP Logged

The following is the new Powerball payout starting in 2012

NEW POWERBALL PRIZE PAYOUT TABLE*

MATCH

PRIZE

POWERPLAY

ODDS

Five White + Powerball

JACKPOT

N/A

1:175,223,510

Five White

$1,000,000

$2,000,000

1:5,153,633

Four White + Powerball

$10,000

$40,000

1:648,976

Four White

$100

$200

1:19,088

Three White + Powerball

$100

$200

1:12,245

Three White

$7

$14

1:360

Two White + Powerball

$7

$14

1:706

One White + Powerball

$4

$12

1:111

Powerball

$4

$12

1:55

*This table will become effective with the Powerball draw on January 18, 2012.

I use to play PowerPlay but might not now with the change of using fixed multipliers.  I find it strange that 1 White + Powerball and Powerball pay the same amount of $4.

On a regular basis I can hit 2W+PB or 3WB for $7 under current payout table.  Assuming the lowest 2X multipler I get a return 7x on my money but even larger if 3X,4X, or 5X is used as multiplier.  With the new table your only getting 4.6 payout.  They have toploaded the payout for big wins which people are rarely going to hit, and reduced the lower tier payout that most people have a reasonable chance of winning.

Jimmy

United States
    Member #94618
    July 24, 2010
    4362 Posts
    Posted: December 17, 2011, 2:25 pm - IP Logged

Yea I see what you mean, I ONLY play with the Powerplay, and since it looks like they are taking away the multiplier it is not worth it anymore.

NEW YORK
      United States
      Member #90537
      April 29, 2010
      3190 Posts
      Posted: December 18, 2011, 8:49 am - IP Logged

Yea I see what you mean, I ONLY play with the Powerplay, and since it looks like they are taking away the multiplier it is not worth it anymore.

You can actually participate with 1 quick pick ticket in any lottery game pool. Remember every lottery game is just a big pool of players in itself.

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
        Mcminnville, Oregon
        United States
        Member #3013
        December 13, 2003
        2306 Posts
        Posted: December 18, 2011, 8:58 pm - IP Logged

From the looks of that jackpot payout table the 5+0 and 5+1 prizes are the only ones worth winning.  Too bad their the hardest to win.  Oh well I will play any ways.  Good luck to all!-weshar75

DFW, Texas
          United States
          Member #78628
          August 18, 2009
          134 Posts
          Posted: December 19, 2011, 4:33 pm - IP Logged

The odds change slightly, since you're a tiny amount more likely to get the Powerball number, and the price doubles, but most of the prize amounts stay the same.  They put the highest Powerplay multiplier on the level that's third-hardest to win, as well as quintupling the base prize at the second level, while while fixing the lowest multiplier on the levels people are most likely to win, other than the very bottom.  The biggest gains are at the top (least likely) levels.

If I match 3 white balls, I pay an extra dollar to win the same amount, or pay an extra dollar to have the lowest multiplier locked in, and still multiplying the same base amount.  I can't say I'm a fan.  It is jackpots that sell tickets, but it's also the lower levels where most people win.  I'm not usually one to complain, but other than the bigger jackpots, and the million-dollar prizes (the least likely outcomes), this looks awful to me.

I could make a joke about occupying Powerball, since they want to make a $6 net win into a $5 net win and transfer the remainder to the biggest winners, but I don't want to get a political discussion started.

ressuccess's avatar - WhiteShyGuy

United States
            Member #93166
            June 23, 2010
            835 Posts
            Posted: December 19, 2011, 5:05 pm - IP Logged

Are you sure that the Powerball is $2 per draw?

olplugger's avatar - moon2
              olplugger
              Mechanicsville, VA
              United States
              Member #84145
              December 23, 2009
              1393 Posts
              Posted: December 19, 2011, 5:22 pm - IP Logged

Are you sure that the Powerball is $2 per draw?

Yep.... 2 bucks.  I read this on the Virginia Lottery website:

"Changes to Powerball will mean larger jackpots and better chances of winning. After someone wins, jackpots will start over at $40 million, double the current $20 million. The overall chances of winning any prize will improve to 1 in 31.8 from the current 1 in 35. The chances of winning the jackpot will change to 1 in 175 million from 1 in 195 million. The ticket price will increase to $2."

"There is always A way..."

Author Unknown

Park City, UT
                United States
                Member #69864
                January 18, 2009
                832 Posts
                Posted: December 20, 2011, 7:20 pm - IP Logged

The following is the new Powerball payout starting in 2012

NEW POWERBALL PRIZE PAYOUT TABLE*

MATCH

PRIZE

POWERPLAY

ODDS

Five White + Powerball

JACKPOT

N/A

1:175,223,510

Five White

$1,000,000

$2,000,000

1:5,153,633

Four White + Powerball

$10,000

$40,000

1:648,976

Four White

$100

$200

1:19,088

Three White + Powerball

$100

$200

1:12,245

Three White

$7

$14

1:360

Two White + Powerball

$7

$14

1:706

One White + Powerball

$4

$12

1:111

Powerball

$4

$12

1:55

*This table will become effective with the Powerball draw on January 18, 2012.

I use to play PowerPlay but might not now with the change of using fixed multipliers.  I find it strange that 1 White + Powerball and Powerball pay the same amount of $4.

On a regular basis I can hit 2W+PB or 3WB for $7 under current payout table.  Assuming the lowest 2X multipler I get a return 7x on my money but even larger if 3X,4X, or 5X is used as multiplier.  With the new table your only getting 4.6 payout.  They have toploaded the payout for big wins which people are rarely going to hit, and reduced the lower tier payout that most people have a reasonable chance of winning.

Jimmy

I guess I'm the only one bothered by the fact that 1WB + 1PB = 1PB = $4.  Matching more pays the same amount as matching less seems like your getting ripped off but I guess that's just me.

3WB + 0PB = $14, 1PB = $12.  You can see that matching 3WB only pays you $2 more.  Matching 3WB is alot harder than matching 1PB and you should be compensated more than the crumbs they are offering with the fixed 2x multiplier.

If they would have left the multiplier alone I probably would have continued the PowerPlay but not now.

Unlike most people here I have to travel to Idaho to play, so I'm not going to make a 3 hour round-trip to Idaho to only play 1 line.  I play 25 lines so the difference between $50 and $75 is a big deal to me.

Jimmy

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                  Texas
                  United States
                  Member #55889
                  October 23, 2007
                  3173 Posts
                  Posted: December 21, 2011, 9:00 pm - IP Logged

Yeah...the payouts don't make a lot of sense. I'm going to keep playing PB, but I won't play the powerplay when it changes.

I looked on the PB website but coundn't find any payout chart for the new payouts. Where did you find it?

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

Park City, UT
                    United States
                    Member #69864
                    January 18, 2009
                    832 Posts
                    Posted: December 21, 2011, 11:54 pm - IP Logged

Yeah...the payouts don't make a lot of sense. I'm going to keep playing PB, but I won't play the powerplay when it changes.

I looked on the PB website but coundn't find any payout chart for the new payouts. Where did you find it?

I found it on the Idaho state lottery site under the news section.

If you Google "2012 Powerball changes" you will find an article by someone that analyzed 2012 Powerball vs existing MegaMillions payouts.  Other than top tier, MegaMillions wins hands down as the best value per dollar.  But MegaMillions will probably soon change also, so it probably will not matter anyway.

Jimmy

Park City, UT
                      United States
                      Member #69864
                      January 18, 2009
                      832 Posts
                      Posted: December 22, 2011, 12:19 am - IP Logged

Also since Powerball/PowerPlay is using a fixed multiplier I assume they are no longer drawing the multiplier with each draw.  Does that mean they got rid of the 10x multiplier promotion?.  I always played more during the 10x promotion when they had it.

Jimmy

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                        Mcminnville, Oregon
                        United States
                        Member #3013
                        December 13, 2003
                        2306 Posts
                        Posted: December 22, 2011, 4:02 pm - IP Logged

Also since Powerball/PowerPlay is using a fixed multiplier I assume they are no longer drawing the multiplier with each draw.  Does that mean they got rid of the 10x multiplier promotion?.  I always played more during the 10x promotion when they had it.

Jimmy

I am thinking that they will get rid of that 10x promotion because they expect record runs next year in powerball.-weshar75