Powerball multi-state lottery to raise prices, jackpots

Jan 3, 2012, 9:40 am (191 comments)

Powerball

By Todd Northrop, with AP wire sources

DES MOINES, Iowa — Powerball lottery organizers are betting that bigger jackpots will entice more people to play, but gamblers are going to have to dig deeper into their wallets to try their luck.

Game changes that have been in the works for months — perhaps years — are finally going into effect this month.

(See Changes coming to Powerball multi-state lottery game in January, Lottery Post, Jun. 27, 2011.)

Tickets for the multi-state game are doubling in price to $2 beginning Jan. 15.  While the odds of winning one of the game's giant jackpots also are improving, those in charge of the lottery are gambling that people are willing to pay more for the hope of becoming a millionaire in a down economy.

"With the price of everything else going up, there's not much you can get for a dollar anymore," said 28-year-old Ryan Raker, of Des Moines, Iowa, who buys a ticket once a month.  He says he'll probably play less frequently now.

Lotteries have long sold regular people on the hope of becoming rich quick by simply picking a lucky combination of numbers.  Some play loved ones' birthdays or anniversaries in the hope that fate may point them in the direction of a jackpot.  Selling that hope is easy; less so is predicting consumers' sensitivity to price changes.

Powerball's move follows the model of scratch ticket games, which once were all $1 but now are offered at higher prices with the chance for bigger prizes.

The evolution of scratch tickets and the creation of families of games that offer tickets at different prices has proven successful across the country, said Rebecca Hargrove, president of the Tennessee Lottery.  Scratch games like Win for Life in Illinois, Jumbo Bucks in Tennessee and the Crosswords game in Iowa have all been successful, Hargrove said.

"The more choices you gave players the higher the sales were," Hargrove said.  "A family of games at multiple price points created the most excitement. Once those kinds of games were introduced we saw a dramatic increase in sales."

For example, in Iowa, scratch ticket sales increased from $125 million in 2007 to $165.3 million in 2011, state lottery officials said.

Lottery officials believe increasing the price of the game will make it more attractive to players, said Terry Rich, spokesman for the West Des Moines-based Multi-State Lottery Association, which runs Powerball.

"People like variety," Rich said.  "We're repackaging and freshening up the product and enriching the product."

Powerball is the big fish of the various lottery games states offer, and typically has some of the biggest payouts.  There are nine ways to win the game, from a $3 prize for matching the Power Ball number to various payouts for different combinations of winning numbers.

Odds of winning are improving because of changes the game is making in the numbers players can choose.  The number of Powerball numbers to choose from will decrease from 39 to 35.  That will improve the odds of winning from 1 in 192 million to 1 in 175 million.

Picking the right numbers will have a bigger payoff: The starting jackpot is rising from $20 to $40 million.  The amount won for matching all five numbers but not the Power Ball will increase from $200,000 to $1 million.

The move is a strategy to differentiate the game from Mega Millions, the other big money, multi-state lottery game that is sold for $1 a ticket.  Both games are sold in 42 states, plus the U.S. Virgin Islands and Washington, D.C.  Each game has drawings twice a week.

It could pay off, because consumers often get more excited about larger jackpots and play more.  Clyde Barrow, a gambling expert at the University of Massachusetts-Dartmouth, said larger jackpots should attract more players, even at the higher price.

"As prizes escalate more people tend to enter the game," he said.  "The big draw will be the size of the jackpot.  The idea is that at $12 million people don't get too excited but when it crosses $140 million, more people will play and by increasing the price level of tickets you will reach that prize level much faster."

Rich said sales may dip at first but likely would climb as jackpots soar.  Half of ticket sales are returned to the states where Powerball is played to help fund government programs.

"We wouldn't be doing it if we didn't think more money would be coming back to the states and help them with revenues during these tough economic times," Rich said.

Hargrove, the Tennessee lottery executive, said many players already pay an extra dollar to play an option called the Power Play, which can multiply winnings for prizes below the jackpot level.

In Oklahoma, 40 percent of players already are paying $2 for a Powerball ticket with the Power Play option.  In Tennessee, nearly 30 percent pay to play the Power Play option.  The option will continue to be offered for an extra dollar with the new changes, Hargrove said.

Still, the game may have work to do to win over players hesitant to fork over an extra dollar.  Many say they'll simply play half as much, or switch to the less expensive Mega Millions.

Irwin Weitz, who owns an Atlanta home improvement business, said he buys five to 10 tickets each time the Powerball jackpot reaches $100 million.  The 57-year-old said he's not swayed by promises of higher, faster-growing jackpots and will buy half as many Powerball tickets.

"I don't see the argument," Weitz said.  "The reality is when the odds are so high, you're just gambling on a dream of becoming rich quick."

Katie Langel, manager of the Freedom Value Center convenience store and gas station in Sioux Falls, S.D., didn't like the idea, either.

"Say I've been buying (tickets) for years," she said.  "I may just go to Mega Millions.  I just don't really see why it has to go up to $2."

At the Navarro Pharmacy in Miami's Little Havana area, retired nursing home worker Maria Fernandez, 67, said playing the Powerball every week has given her hope.  Fernandez, who lives off a small pension, said she can't afford more than the $5 a week she now spends so will have to play less.

"Poor people will not have as many chances to win," she said.

Zach Levy, a 23-year-old salesman from Atlanta, said he'll buy fewer Powerball tickets but won't give up altogether.

"I won't play as eagerly as I did before, but I still want to win," he said.  "I would finally move out of my parents' basement."

However many people will gripe about the increased price, the Multi-State Lottery Association says that thousands of randomly-selected players they surveyed since 2005 have asked for the change.

Summary of Powerball changes

• Jackpots will start at a minimum of $40 million (the current starting point is $20 million).
  • The jackpot will increase by at least $10 million every drawing there is no grand prize winner, whereas under the current structure there is no minimum increase.
  • The number of Powerballs (the bonus number) will drop from the current 39 to 35, improving the odds of winning the jackpot to 1 in 175,223,510.  (The current odds of winning the jackpot are 1 in 195,249,054).  By comparison, the odds of winning the jackpot in Mega Millions are 1 in 175,711,536 — nearly identical to the new Powerball odds.  The number of regular numbers (the first five numbers drawn) will remain the same 59.
  • The overall odds of winning any prize have improved to 1 in 31.8.  The current odds of winning a prize are 1 in 35.
  • The cost to play Powerball will increase to $2 per ticket.  This is the first time in 20 years that Powerball has raised the ticket cost.  Power Play will continue to be offered at the same $1 per ticket cost, making a ticket purchased with the Power Play option $3.
  • Power Play is changed from being a random multiplier drawn to a fixed increase that varies based on what prize level is won by the player.  The extra Power Play computerized drawing that takes place after the main drawing is eliminated once the changes take place.  See the new prize and odds table below for the new fixed Power Play payout amounts for each prize level.
  • Second prize, which is won by matching the first five numbers but not the Powerball, will increase from $200,000 to $1 million, ensuring that many more millionaires are created by the game since there are typically multiple second-prize winners every drawing.  A ticket purchased with the Power Play option that wins second prize will be increased to $2 million.
  • The lowest prize level — won by matching just the Powerball number — is increased to $4, but is also easier to win, thanks to the fewer Powerball numbers to choose from.
  • The "Match 5 Bonus Prize", which limits the amount that record jackpots can increase to $25 million per drawing, has been eliminated.
  • The first drawing of the changed Powerball game will be Wed., Jan. 18, 2012.  The final drawing under the current Powerball rules will be Sat., Jan. 14, 2012.  Tickets for the changed Powerball game will go on sale Jan. 15.

New prize and odds table

Match Prize Prize with
Power Play
Odds
5 of 5 + Powerball Jackpot Jackpot 1 in 175,223,510
5 of 5 $1,000,000 $2,000,000 1 in 5,153,633
4 of 5 + Powerball $10,000 $40,000 1 in 648,976
4 of 5 $100 $200 1 in 19,088
3 of 5 + Powerball $100 $200 1 in 12,245
3 of 5 $7 $14 1 in 361
2 of 5 + Powerball $7 $14 1 in 707
1 of 5 + Powerball $4 $12 1 in 111
Powerball only $4 $12 1 in 56

Note to readers

Many readers ask about when the changes to Powerball will be reflected on the pages of Lottery Post and our sister site, USA Mega.

Rest assured, the changes will be published in all the necessary pages, but only when the changes have gone into effect.  So you can expect the changes to be made to our Web pages on January 15th — the day after the final drawing under the old rules takes place.

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

TNPATL

I had seen on another website back in November the game was changing.  I had no idea how, but now I know.  So I wonder if Mega Millions will eventually change or will they remain as they are?

dr65's avatardr65

Thanks for the reminder. $3 a line. BS. I won't be playing this game.

I just love how smooth the reasons for the increase roll off the officials lips. 'We wouldn't be doing it if we didn't think more money would be coming

back to the states and help them with revenues during these tough economic times' Rich said.

Actually it seems to me it's more like - We wouldn't be doing it if the tough economic times have forced some players to quit playing Powerball

altogether and we need to milk the loyal players to make up for the difference.

Oh and the Multi-State Lottery Association - thousands of randomly-selected players they surveyed since 2005 have asked for the change.

I wonder how that question was presented? Like this: Would you pay $1 more to play Powerball? or like this: Would you like a game with better

odds and higher winnings?

They can keep it.

dr65's avatardr65

Quote: Originally posted by TNPATL on Jan 3, 2012

I had seen on another website back in November the game was changing.  I had no idea how, but now I know.  So I wonder if Mega Millions will eventually change or will they remain as they are?

My guess is the change will be sweeping...just give it some time. It defeats the purpose of raising the Powerball price to keep Mega as it is. If I wanted

to play one, I'd go for Mega.

earthdragon72

I'd rather stick to pick 3 and 4 no hassles that way! We just stopped playing cause in South Florida no one hardly wins big down here. Mostly in the central or northern part of the state. Give me pick 3 and 4 anyday over powerball!Big Grin

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

Personally,I think it sucks!I doubt if I'll play it twice a week like I do now.I might become one of those people that only plays when the jackpot reaches $100,000,000.

Lukep

Great its gonna cost double to be  a loser now.

Todd's avatarTodd

Quote: Originally posted by Lukep on Jan 3, 2012

Great its gonna cost double to be  a loser now.

LOL  Good one.

JoeBigLotto's avatarJoeBigLotto

l am so happy the price is going up and am happy the jackpot is going up too ,because l was about to start playing the euro millions which is really really big and tickets cost more like $3 . so am one of thoes that only play when jackpots get to $250million so i guess powerball now wants my business seriously and all i can say is bring it on am next inline for the big win and all the beautiful women are already waiting for my check to arrive so we can all go on a private cruise arround the world lol.

JADELottery's avatarJADELottery

It's Powerball!

Now, with Power Drain!

Yep folks, here it is, drain your pockets twice as fast with, Power Drain.

And, for one dollar more you can triple your loss with, Power Play.

It's the trifecta of Power Loss.

Don't you just feel the Power? Not!

TheRightPrice

YES! I was thinking about this. I will buying FEWER tickets. LOLDupe Alert

But I may also stop playing Florida Lotto as well.

There have been times when I only had $1.00 left, or 4 quarters or a combination of nickels and dimes to buy 1 ticket.

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

Quote: Originally posted by JADELottery on Jan 3, 2012

It's Powerball!

Now, with Power Drain!

Yep folks, here it is, drain your pockets twice as fast with, Power Drain.

And, for one dollar more you can triple your loss with, Power Play.

It's the trifecta of Power Loss.

Don't you just feel the Power? Not!

LOL and another good one from the peanut gallery

Twitch play don't play ...... won't make much of a difference  they'll drain your wallet one way or nother

People can cry all they want about the powerball price but wait till the jackpot gets to $500,000,000 and then you see the real lotto fever people will be lining up from all over the world and this big jackpots can now occour more frequeintly meaning i could win half a billion dollars every month .Oh well i am looking at a private island in bahamas already i dont need any noisy neighbor arround my $10,000,0000 mansion only lots of beautiful women geting natural sun tan lol .

TheRightPrice

Quote: Originally posted by JoeBigLotto on Jan 3, 2012

People can cry all they want about the powerball price but wait till the jackpot gets to $500,000,000 and then you see the real lotto fever people will be lining up from all over the world and this big jackpots can now occour more frequeintly meaning i could win half a billion dollars every month .Oh well i am looking at a private island in bahamas already i dont need any noisy neighbor arround my $10,000,0000 mansion only lots of beautiful women geting natural sun tan lol .

Thinking of...YES!  I wonder how big can it get??????Party

Actually, the prize would have to go to $10 Billion before I even think about spending $2.00 on a ticket.

Let the phony cronies play and win amongst themselves; their slowly becoming the only ones that can play anyway.

TheRightPrice

Actually, the prize would have to go to $10 Billion before I even think about spending $2.00 on a ticket.

Let the phony cronies play and win amongst themselves; their slowly becoming the only ones that can play anyway.

I currently play Powerball and FL Lotto. I'm thinking if I give up FL Lotto and even if I win PB's second prize, I will be happy anyways. And my total yearly expenditure remains the same.

dr65's avatardr65

Oh, it's going to be $500,000,000 a MONTH now, is it?  Well, then! Count me.....OUT. $40 million or $1 billion, first you have to hold the winning ticket.

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

I will most likely only play 1 pick without powerplay. It would be nice to see a $500,000,000 jackpot!

LottoGuyBC's avatarLottoGuyBC

Quote: Originally posted by dpoly1 on Jan 3, 2012

I will most likely only play 1 pick without powerplay. It would be nice to see a $500,000,000 jackpot!

$500,000,000.00 Jackpot...that would be pretty sick

$1,000,000,000.00 Jackpot...gonna have to Hiding Behind Computer

ressuccess's avatarressuccess

Good luck to the people participating in this game.

Boney526's avatarBoney526

I was waiting to see the prize table and Power Play prize table before I said anything, but this is aweful.  They didn't even raise any prizes except 3 dollars to 4 dollars (that should excite nobody, since a Powerplayed Powerball ticket always won more than that) and they made the Second prize always a million, which it was with power play, which costed 2 dollars anyway.

This is, actually, overall, a worse prize table, with a higher priced ticket.  That's so ridiculous, it's ridiculous.

TheRightPrice

What I find interesting is that it was Mega Millions (with lower odds) and not Powerball that had really big Jackpots to be won in the past

RJOh's avatarRJOh

This move could make local games more attractive.  There are probably plenty of players who would be happy to just spend a $1 for better odds of being a millionaire rather than $2 for worst odds of being a multi-millionaire.

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Jan 3, 2012

This move could make local games more attractive.  There are probably plenty of players who would be happy to just spend a $1 for better odds of being a millionaire rather than $2 for worst odds of being a multi-millionaire.

You read my mind.

Thumbs Up

lakerben's avatarlakerben

Five numbers with powerplay used to be 1 million now its two million! Sounds good to me!

I'm going to win this year!

Party

I did a short analysis of pay tables for both games, the old and new, with and without powerplay.

Based on the first draw (New Jackpot), the Original returns 23.394% of money played (on average).  With PowerPlay, for 2 dollars, it returns 31.0547%.  The new tickets return 29.3944%, with Powerplay for 3 dollars returns 36.1926%.

I said it before, that it'd only be better if these return tables were significantly better.  They are slightly, but not significantly better, and with an increase in cost, they still result in a bigger Expected loss per ticket (31.0547% of 2 dollars returned vs. 29.3944% of 2 dollars)

I tried posting the excel analysis - but it becomes disorganized on the site.  The conclusion was that these new paytables return a slightly higher percent, but not at the cost you want to play at, and still have a bigger expected loss due to price increases.

david1691

Maybe someone should start a petition like the young lady did against Bank of America.  Anyone can boycott Powerball or any ripoff games.  There are no rules saying anyone has to play.  I will not be playing.

On another note I have thought of a power up option with the three and four digit numbers.  Would something like this generate any interest?  Multiplying these prizes by up to five times would be a big hit in my opinion.

Question: Does a bigger jackpot improve your chances of winning?

Answer: NO!

Carl8080

Those games are already rigged, and once the Jackpot is bigger your chances of winning diminish. Once this thing is over 100 millions they star rigging it . Someone will hit the Jackpot on Jan 14 which is a saturday since the new game start on the 18th. LOL lottery is so predictable.

Mario38

The jackpot will increase by at least $10 million every drawing there is no grand prize winner, whereas under the current structure there is no minimum increase.

The above statement from the story is incorrect. Under the current structure, the jackpot increases a minimum $5 million per draw.

Also, under the current structure, the only way to gain a realistic payout is via group play. The new structure makes it even more difficult to gain a realistic payout as an individual player.

Good luck.

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

People whine about a $2 Powerball ticket & spend $20 to lose a $1,000,000 lottery raffle ...............  Crazy  or to play a scratch off ticket for even less!

People whine about a $2 Powerball ticket & spend $20 to lose a $1,000,000 lottery raffle ...............  Crazy  or to play a scratch off ticket for even less!

boy i'm glad i didn't buy in to the raffle hype last year.

now i'm $10.00 richer.

it's $10.00 bucks a sucker here in Minnesota.

KSplayer's avatarKSplayer

Just means i won't play but maybe once or twice a month or wait until the jackpot gets up there

malie10

I don't like the new Powerplay option. It should be random and multiply whatever you win times that amount. I always play all Red Balls with PP, and if it is only 2x, then so be it, but if it is 5x then better for me. The new $4 payout for the RB only is ok, but $12 payout is only 3x. I won't be buying PP anymore.

malie10

Quote: Originally posted by Carl8080 on Jan 3, 2012

Those games are already rigged, and once the Jackpot is bigger your chances of winning diminish. Once this thing is over 100 millions they star rigging it . Someone will hit the Jackpot on Jan 14 which is a saturday since the new game start on the 18th. LOL lottery is so predictable.

I bet your right. I don't see how it's rigged but I bet the jackpot will go, and will be a winner in NY as usual. I just spent $60 on three $20 instants but I will think teice before I buy 1 single PB ticket. I rather play a state game like match 6 or cash five first.

l do understand people are upset about the lower prices in new powerball not going up too with the price of ticket. But as a real gambler who really cares about small prices .You probably loss more money going after small prices you need to win big or go home just like my nick name says JoebigLotto rules. So stop whining about little prices but focus on the jackpot .In euroupe the euro millions rules with $260million cash jackpot no annuity so thats like $520million with annuity and tickets are expensive. So now powerball can rule the world for a while before the next super game shows up.Well the world is already going to hell so am not blaming powerball am just going with the flow i want my share of the billions ASP.LOL

Well the rule states that when jackpot reaches record level it will slow down by not increasing more than $25million per draw so any extra goes to second prize of five numbers if there is a jackpot winner.so there is no limit on how high it can go just like your wireless service if you use more than 5G they slow down your service.So powerball figured that out too they can slow the jackpot at record level while raking in the profit at maximum speed just like waiting 50yrs on death row oh well enjoy the trip.lol

rad242

It's human nature. No one is going to jump up and down over the idea that ticket prices are doubling. We like the benefits that come with it but not at that price - go figure. I have read EVERY POST on this discussion and each one enjoys some form of legitimacy. We do what we must. At the end of the day YOU HAVE TO PLAY TO WIN. I think instead of whining and complaining we need to channel that energy into forming sound strategies that will yield results over time.

The days are long gone of a dollar and a dream. Step up your game and stop using the dollar quick pick as an aferthought when you fill up your vehicle and then expect to win. Chances are someone will win doing this but if you seriously want it to be you one day, you have to do wayyy more than that!

spy153's avatarspy153

Quote: Originally posted by malie10 on Jan 3, 2012

I don't like the new Powerplay option. It should be random and multiply whatever you win times that amount. I always play all Red Balls with PP, and if it is only 2x, then so be it, but if it is 5x then better for me. The new $4 payout for the RB only is ok, but $12 payout is only 3x. I won't be buying PP anymore.

I noticed that too and I don't like it. I don't mind paying for power play but I feel ripped off with the new changes.  It added excitement to the powerplay to possibly get 5 times the amount.  Then again, at a flat rate amount you can be certain what you're getting if you win with power play and I never turn my nose up at certainty and steadiness.

dr65's avatardr65

Wow dpoly, no one is whining. It's just that with the raffle and instants, they aren't changing the game plan on us. Give me a $20 instant over a

game where they feel the need to increase the play price to double of what it was plus knock down the odds by a mere 20 million and fool everyone

with the $40 million starting jackpot and carefully thought out prize tiers. They will not lose no matter how good it looks...the smack in the face is

the increase of $1 to play one line, $2 without the powerplay option.

Let them try and charge me $2 for a $1 instant, I won't be playing those anymore either. It's the principle and besides, I didn't win anything ever

worth writing about on Powerball anyway and wouldn't expect to with the new changes either.

rad242

Well the rule states that when jackpot reaches record level it will slow down by not increasing more than $25million per draw so any extra goes to second prize of five numbers if there is a jackpot winner.so there is no limit on how high it can go just like your wireless service if you use more than 5G they slow down your service.So powerball figured that out too they can slow the jackpot at record level while raking in the profit at maximum speed just like waiting 50yrs on death row oh well enjoy the trip.lol

That rule will expire and not carry over into the new game. I am looking forward to a $500m jackpot. Are you???

maybe they should have changed the price to $1.99 a play.

https://www.lotterypost.com/blogentry/61998

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

boy i'm glad i didn't buy in to the raffle hype last year.

now i'm $10.00 richer.

it's $10.00 bucks a sucker here in Minnesota.

I also refused to spend that $20 they wanted for the Massachusetts raffle. Only half of the raffle tickets were sold meaning the lottery commission never made any profits on the raffle hahaha love that to death! 

$2 a PB ticket? yeah I had said I would keep playing but now I've change my mind. I will stick to the season tickets of Megabucks (local 6/49) and megamillions. No scratch offs either. I've been spending close to $500 a year and havent won anything so I might as well cut down sharply. Who knows, maybe after these season tickets expire I will give up on lottery completely.Banana

spy153's avatarspy153

Quote: Originally posted by rad242 on Jan 3, 2012

That rule will expire and not carry over into the new game. I am looking forward to a $500m jackpot. Are you???

Does anyone know the new rules for this?

Think's avatarThink

They should have changed the game more. Like maybe 6/42 1/33.
  Anyhow, according to todays news, gasoline is going to 4.99/9 to 5.99/9 this summer so the games are going to get played less anyway.

I sent in a suggestion to Megamillions about changing Mega too but they just forwarded it to my state lottery where I got a reply before they promptly ignored it.

The suggestion was to get rid of the Megaplier  and replace it with two options.

You pay $1 for the regular ticket and then choose one, or both, of the following-

an extra dollar to Megaply the $2-$150 prizes with different multipliers while the $10,000 prize would be fixed at $100,000 or maybe $125,000 if that makes more sense.

and the other one would be an extra dollar to fix the $250,000 prize at $2,500,000 with this option also building a second Jackpot that you could only win or split if you chose this option.

so then you could spend $1 on the ticket if that is what you wanted to do or you could spend $2 if you either wanted bigger small prizes or bigger big prizes or you could spend $3 if you wanted bigger prizes accross the game.

Maybe it made too much sense and that is why it was igored?

freeobama's avatarfreeobama

WOW Powerball will be ripping everone off even harder!!! Evil Looking

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Quote: Originally posted by freeobama on Jan 3, 2012

WOW Powerball will be ripping everone off even harder!!! Evil Looking

You don't have to play ! This is not North Korea .......... YET !

US Flag

Guru101's avatarGuru101

I definitely won't be playing Powerball nearly as much as I have in the past. I like being able to buy 5 lines for $5. I don't like spending more than $5 a ticket on Powerball. This means on the rare occasion that I actually do play Powerball, I'll only be spending $4 for 2 lines. Better odds my butt. Because the price is doubling, the odds for the majority of people who play this game will become at least twice as hard.

IITWIB

If no one wins the lottery before or on Saturday January 14th, how will the new rules be implemented?

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

Wow!  Come this February, I'll discontinue playing the Megamillions $12M+ annuitized jackpot with Megaplier ($2, twice each week), yet continue playing Powerball with Powerplay ($3, twice each week).  I like the newly announced Powerball $40M+ annuitized jackpot game opportunity to receive an lump-sum, after fed and state taxed, jackpot that begins at apx. $15.2M (Illinois taxes) 'walk away with monies'!  I also like the Powerplay option of winning a 2nd prize, pre-taxed lump-sum amount of $2M.

Of course, gambling is usually a long-term investment ... I realize that sometimes it requires several state's lottery retailers multiple years BEFORE any particular state wins a Powerball jackpot.

Conehead

Coin Toss's avatarCoin Toss

The number of Powerballs (the bonus number) will drop from the current 39 to 35

New prize and odds table

Match Prize Prize with
Power Play
Odds
3 of 5 $7 $14 1 in 361

35 numbers and the odds against having the one drawn, the Powerball only, are 1 in 56?

WT2?

dpoly1,

Couldn't agree more about raffles. In lotto, every $1 played (now $2 with PB) goes toewards winning millions. In a $20 raffle $1 M raffle, each $1 wins $50,000....'Boston Fire Dep't'., ahem. 

The real irony is that so many here who claim to hate QPs can't wait to fork over $10, $20, pr $50 for a raffle ticket. Huh?

Lukep

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on Jan 3, 2012

LOL  Good one.

yup

rad242

Quote: Originally posted by IITWIB on Jan 3, 2012

If no one wins the lottery before or on Saturday January 14th, how will the new rules be implemented?

It flips into the new game as it would normally rollover. if it flips within the new game it would flip by a minimum of 10mil. and tickets will come at a cost of $2. they are not allowing anyone to advance play beyond 01/14 so no issues on that end

Todd's avatarTodd

Quote: Originally posted by Coin Toss on Jan 3, 2012

The number of Powerballs (the bonus number) will drop from the current 39 to 35

New prize and odds table

Match Prize Prize with
Power Play
Odds
3 of 5 $7 $14 1 in 361

35 numbers and the odds against having the one drawn, the Powerball only, are 1 in 56?

WT2?

dpoly1,

Couldn't agree more about raffles. In lotto, every $1 played (now $2 with PB) goes toewards winning millions. In a $20 raffle $1 M raffle, each $1 wins $50,000....'Boston Fire Dep't'., ahem. 

The real irony is that so many here who claim to hate QPs can't wait to fork over $10, $20, pr $50 for a raffle ticket. Huh?

Coin Toss, you're going to be embarrassed by this one. Embarassed 

The odds are 1 in 56 of hitting just the Powerball, because you need to factor in the odds of getting better than just the Powerball.  If the odds of winning just the Powerball were 1 in 35, that would mean that you will never win any other prize.

Right now the odds of winning just the Powerball are 1 in 61.74.

jump6702's avatarjump6702

hey todd i checked and signed. not good in tn. i smell a rat. i'm  not playing until it high. i believe this move is for people who got money anyway. i can't afford it.

jump6702's avatarjump6702

what if everone stop playing. i don' think that possible. just a throught. i like the old way. no computer drawing. i'm sticking with p3 i have a better change of winning there.

weshar75's avatarweshar75

I have decided to play for $1 on megabucks with kicker and $1 mega millions with megaplier and $2 powerball with powerplay.  For the entire year that is how I will play.  I will probably not win a jackpot but at least I will be in each game for one line and know is half the battle.  Go Joe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-weshar75

From a markeying standpoint, you're right Todd, but I lok at any 5 + 1 (or any +1 game) as two lotteries, the top or first matrix and the bonus number matrix. In a field of 35 numbers one number is drawn making it 1 in 35 or 34:1.

In the the OP it didn't say anything at all about getting better than just the Powerball, it simply said the changes were the Powerball being drawn from 35 numbers instead of 39, and the odds posted in the chart as 1 in 56. The same chart shows 1 + 1 as 1in 111, so it still doesn't jive.

You're really good at getting results and what have you before anyone else can, maybe you can track down the 21 'phantom' Powerballs befor the first drawing with the new rules.

How many times have posters here at LP mentioned playing all the MM bottom matrix numbers to insure a win?

The play 46 numbers to do that, right? And the odds of one number in 46 hitting?

chuck32

Quote: Originally posted by dr65 on Jan 3, 2012

Thanks for the reminder. $3 a line. BS. I won't be playing this game.

I just love how smooth the reasons for the increase roll off the officials lips. 'We wouldn't be doing it if we didn't think more money would be coming

back to the states and help them with revenues during these tough economic times' Rich said.

Actually it seems to me it's more like - We wouldn't be doing it if the tough economic times have forced some players to quit playing Powerball

altogether and we need to milk the loyal players to make up for the difference.

Oh and the Multi-State Lottery Association - thousands of randomly-selected players they surveyed since 2005 have asked for the change.

I wonder how that question was presented? Like this: Would you pay $1 more to play Powerball? or like this: Would you like a game with better

odds and higher winnings?

They can keep it.

Only politicians ask dumb research questions to get the wrong answers they want.  When making a business decision, it is in one's best interest to ask the proper questions to get the real answers.  No one likes to pay more for any product.  Duh!  But when the play of the game is completely explained and understood and players are asked how much they would spend and then a price is suggested at various prize levels, you can come to some conclusions.  Research can only go so far and is only a start.  A business also needs to look at their product mix to see if some brands are too close and if there is room for a premium brand.

petergrfn

This was the same BS reason Powerball gave last time they rigged the game more in their favor and against the players.  The hoopla to adding more states and increasing the odds for Powerball was that more people would be in the game and the jackpots would get up to $200Million+ more often....possibly even $500 Million. Now it seems that the jackpots don't reach $200 Million LESS OFTEN..So people are buying less tickets now they want people to pay more for the tickets.  I think I've reached my limit with Powerball....

chuck32

Quote: Originally posted by Boney526 on Jan 3, 2012

I was waiting to see the prize table and Power Play prize table before I said anything, but this is aweful.  They didn't even raise any prizes except 3 dollars to 4 dollars (that should excite nobody, since a Powerplayed Powerball ticket always won more than that) and they made the Second prize always a million, which it was with power play, which costed 2 dollars anyway.

This is, actually, overall, a worse prize table, with a higher priced ticket.  That's so ridiculous, it's ridiculous.

The prize payout is the same, but the change follows the Powerball theory of a bar-bell prize structure; moving most of the money to the top and bottom.  Everyone plays for the jackopt, but there will no be hundreds of millionaires created per year - and many more players will win $4.  Yes, no one cares about winning $4 but there will be lots of them anyway and it can be churned back into the game to get a couple of free tickets, with more chances to win and so on.  No one even plays for $1 million, but no one complains when they win and this prize level at least makes the local press; helping to promote the game.

The prize table is not worse; it is exactly the same prize payout.  Many more $4 prizes costs a lot.  Quadrupling the $200,000 prize to $1 million costs a lot.

chuck32

Quote: Originally posted by david1691 on Jan 3, 2012

Maybe someone should start a petition like the young lady did against Bank of America.  Anyone can boycott Powerball or any ripoff games.  There are no rules saying anyone has to play.  I will not be playing.

On another note I have thought of a power up option with the three and four digit numbers.  Would something like this generate any interest?  Multiplying these prizes by up to five times would be a big hit in my opinion.

There are no rules that anyone has to play.  All one can do is look at the final product and decide whether it is worth it to play at the new price.  The average jackpot goes from $144 million to $255 million.  The starting jackpot doubles to $40 million and will grow much faster with nearly double the money going to the jackpot pool.  It is easier to match the red powerball number alone (more winners) and the prize is bumped up to $4 (price of two tickets).  Second prize goes from $200,000 to $1 million and there will be a few hundred or more of those a year.  If folks who like to play big jackpot games because they can spend $1, then there will be a game in the product line for that.  If folks want to go for the big jackpot; a $1 million second prize and better overall odds of winning something, then there is now a game for them.

chuck32

Quote: Originally posted by spy153 on Jan 3, 2012

Does anyone know the new rules for this?

The $25 million limitation has been dropped for the new game.

To make thigs more interesting in regards to the Powerball number, the back of the current playslip, 59 /39 says the odds against having just the Powerball are 1: 62.

Let's see,  1: 62 on a 39 number matrix, 1: 56 on a 35 number matrix.

Voodoo math, at best.

Marketing.

Lep

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

Quote: Originally posted by chuck32 on Jan 4, 2012

The prize payout is the same, but the change follows the Powerball theory of a bar-bell prize structure; moving most of the money to the top and bottom.  Everyone plays for the jackopt, but there will no be hundreds of millionaires created per year - and many more players will win $4.  Yes, no one cares about winning $4 but there will be lots of them anyway and it can be churned back into the game to get a couple of free tickets, with more chances to win and so on.  No one even plays for $1 million, but no one complains when they win and this prize level at least makes the local press; helping to promote the game.

The prize table is not worse; it is exactly the same prize payout.  Many more $4 prizes costs a lot.  Quadrupling the $200,000 prize to $1 million costs a lot.

"no one cares about winning $4 but there will be lots of them anyway and it can be churned back into the game to get a couple of free tickets, with more chances to win"

That's as close to the truth as we've heard from you people, but it's really not true at all. More tickets actually means more, and better, chances to lose. That's exactly what you want, isn't it? Turn the meager winnings right back around and put them in your pockets instead of player's pockets.

If a private companywas making the claims MUSL is the government would be all over them for false and misleading advertising. Look at the  "improvements" being promoted, then consider the reality:

1. They claim the odds of winning the jackpot are improving, but right now spending $2 gets you a 1 in 97.6 million chance of winning. The "improved odds"will only give you a 1 in 175 million chance for the same $2.
  2. With the  odds for 3+0 and 4+0 remaining the same a $2 bet now gives you half as much chance of winning the same prize.
  3. The chance of getting only the powerball with a $2 bet goes from 1 in 31 to 1 in 56, making it 80% less likely. In return they'll give you 33% more if you do manage to win.
  4. The chance of hitting an n+1 prize with a $2 bet is about 55% of what it used to be, but the prize doesn't go up even a penny.
  5. The chance of winning anything at all with a $1 bet is now zero.
  6. Powerplay. For the same chance you already had of winning 3 of the prizes and 1.1 times the chance you had of winning 5 of the prizes, paying 3 times as much as you used to will get you...   wait for it...  twice as much money.
  7. The chance to play for bigger jackpots? That's always been there once the jackpot rolls. The only real chance to play for a bigger jackpot will be on the rare occasions that the jackpot  reaches a new record. In 2011 there were 28 chances to spend a single dollar for a chance at winning more than $100 million (annuity value, of course). Putting almost twice as much into the jackpot pool for each ticket may result in almost twice as many chances to play for more than $100 million, but each chance will cost twice as much.

The smart people will spend their money elsewhere most of the time and only play when the jackpot is unusually big. Of course that's  the real point. The goal here isn't to do anything for  players in general. It's to find out how much they can convince peope to spend by having a few ridiculously large jackpots. If collecting twice as much money from stupid people offsets the losses when smarter people walk the states will at least break even, and I'm sure that's what they're counting on. The frenzy if they can  advertise a (bogus) $500 million jackpot will just be the cing on the cake.

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Jan 3, 2012

The local games are already more attractive on a regular basis, but it seems that a lot of players aren't smart enough to take advantage of that.

The chances of winning NY lotto are about 8 times better than the chances of winning MM and 9 times better than powerball. Despite that, MM and PB outsell lotto even on the occasions when the cash value of Lotto is more than the cash value of MM or PB. According to <snip> NY generally has $2.5 million or more in MM sales for advertised jackpots of $12 million.  When NY lotto was advertised at $13.5 million for 12/21 sales were (roughly) a bit shy of $1 million.

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

Although higher jackpots would seem more exciting that is too much to lose for a ticket. I got sick of the powerball losses years ago. As I said for years until I see proof that somone actually won I won't believe it. It is always fishy to me how bith PB and MM are won right before they break anymore records. I not 100% conivced they are scams or that they determine who wins, but seeing is believing and I have never seen #%$@ in real life that anyone has ever won. And I don't believe everything I see on the internet or news. The price raise is just another reason not to play it, the game sucks at $1.00 and does not pay back diddily squat. At leat I won the smaller games a few times. Also most of the alleged winners are already rich, so bascially it is the poor making the rich richer.

Quote: Originally posted by Coin Toss on Jan 4, 2012

To make thigs more interesting in regards to the Powerball number, the back of the current playslip, 59 /39 says the odds against having just the Powerball are 1: 62.

Let's see,  1: 62 on a 39 number matrix, 1: 56 on a 35 number matrix.

Voodoo math, at best.

Marketing.

Lep

As usual, you don't have a clue about odds. Your chances of getting the powerball right are currently 1 in 39, but despite your delusions about PB being two lotteries, everybody who plays a powerball also has to play 5 other numbers on their ticket. Some of those people will have chosen at least one of the five winning numbers that are drawn, which means that even though they have the right powerball it's impossible for them to have only the powerball right. It should be obvious that the odds of getting only the powerball right are therefore less than 1 in 39 even if you can't figure out what the exact odds are.

The overall odds of winning any PB prize are currently 2 in 70.22. Adding up the chances of winning any of the prizes other than just the powerball shows that the chance of winning one of them is 0.8626 in 70.22. That leaves 1.1374 in 70.22 to win the only other prize available, which is the 0+1 powerball only prize. I know it's not in your skill set, but 1.1374 in 70.22 can be simplified by using 3rd grade math and dividing both sides by 1.1374, which reveals odds of 1 in 67.74. By a strange coincidence, that's exactly what Powerball says the odds of winning the 0+1 prize are.

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

"Powerball lottery organizers are betting that bigger jackpots will entice more people to play"

Or A LOT less people will play and the jackpots will stay the same, or take forever to get high and they will go back to $1.00 pretty quickly.

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

"Those in charge of the lottery are gambling that people are willing to pay more for the hope of becoming a millionaire in a down economy."

Lol!! Who are these stupid idiots in charge? Yeah, people are broke from the poor economy so why not become more broke and spend on money on pipe dreams? Lol!! Those morons never cease to amuse me.

TnTicketlosers's avatarTnTicketlosers

There are more negative responses than positive on the new Powerball changes.I read them all.It would cost alot to play now with the powerplay,3 dollars for 1 line is alot.We Americans are struggling already,Ive pawned so many things just to eat,and I know there are more like me here on this post.Ive been out of work since June of last year,I finally got one and start Thursday and I know for sure I wont be throwing it away on the Powerball.As a Tennessee resident I  know I wont play.It will be low money flow for a short time and then more will play again as normal....I guess the best thing to do if your gonna play is M E G A   M I L L I O N S it's cheaper.US Flag

tiggs95's avatartiggs95

How can anyone say hitting the powerball is easier?...Gonna cost you double and just the same odds..Bigger jackpot but still is hard to hit..No matter how you cut it you'll still need tons of luck...

dr65's avatardr65

Quote: Originally posted by tiggs95 on Jan 4, 2012

How can anyone say hitting the powerball is easier?...Gonna cost you double and just the same odds..Bigger jackpot but still is hard to hit..No matter how you cut it you'll still need tons of luck...

I Agree!

tiggs! Nice to see you back.

Happy New Year too!

Good luck today!!

Big Smile

rad242

Quote: Originally posted by chuck32 on Jan 4, 2012

There are no rules that anyone has to play.  All one can do is look at the final product and decide whether it is worth it to play at the new price.  The average jackpot goes from $144 million to $255 million.  The starting jackpot doubles to $40 million and will grow much faster with nearly double the money going to the jackpot pool.  It is easier to match the red powerball number alone (more winners) and the prize is bumped up to $4 (price of two tickets).  Second prize goes from $200,000 to $1 million and there will be a few hundred or more of those a year.  If folks who like to play big jackpot games because they can spend $1, then there will be a game in the product line for that.  If folks want to go for the big jackpot; a $1 million second prize and better overall odds of winning something, then there is now a game for them.

Chuck32 - I have gotten over the price increase and I do like to idea that there's a chance to win $1mil greedy as I am in wanting to win a LARGE JACKPOT. What I do want you to clarify however is, will the method of drawing remain the same? With machines and no a computerized system?

When the new game comes, we think they should change the name from Powerball to Powertrip.

Todd's avatarTodd

I've done some thinking on this, and spent some time writing an e-mail to someone this morning.  It summarizes my views on the changes pretty well, so I'm re-posting it here.

I know that it will not make everyone happy to read it, but I am trying to rise above the anger and contemplate the changes on a reasonable and thoughtful level.  I hope it will be taken as such, as food for thought.

My e-mail below is in response to an e-mail written to me, in which the person does not like the changes and price increase.  I edited my response below slightly to take out some personal details.

•  •  •  •  •  •  •  •  •  •  •  •

I understand your point of view, but I also sympathize with Chuck from MUSL. He is undergoing withering attacks at the moment, and there is no way for him to fully defend himself and his decision until sales prove he is right. And that won't happen for months, especially if there is an initial dropoff in sales.

Frankly, I think some of the anger and vitriol is over the top. It's not like people don't have other lottery options, like Mega Millions and their in-state games.

Clearly, the multi-state games must continue to evolve in order to keep producing the kind of jackpots that get people interested. However, there is really no way for them to expand the number pools, because they are already to the point of ridiculous to win. So a price increase is a way to make the jackpots better, while even allowing the game to get a little easier to beat.

It's not greed, because greed would mean that MUSL would get something out of it. They really don't. The people at MUSL run a tight ship, and do a good job.

Greed would also imply that people will LIKE the changes enough to buy even more tickets. So it doesn't make any sense to say that the changes suck, but the lotteries will make out like bandits. If the game sucks, people will stop playing and they will lose money.

For the last few years, MUSL has been under attack from the state lotteries because the jackpots have not been as high as they should be, and now they are under attack from many players who say they are jerks for raising the prices. So Chuck can't win, other than to make the changes he knows he has to make, and take an incredible amount of heat for months. This time next year he will probably be vindicated.

The other reason I sympathize with Chuck is that I personally suffer the same kind of attacks any time I change something on the web sites. People are so resistive to change that they will lash out any time something changes, without trying to understand why the change was done — or believing the explanations. Some of the most important and best improvements to Lottery Post have produced the most vicious attacks on me. But then after a few months those same people are saying how great everything is. But I've never once had someone who attacked me later come back to me and say they were wrong.

The bottom line is that it is incredibly difficult to be the person who makes a very unpopular change that they know in their heart is the right thing to do.

Well KY Floyd, as usual you're oh so quick to jump on anyone.

As far as not having a clue, maybe you should get a clue AND LOOK AT THE BACK OF A CURRENT PLAYSLIP. THE ONE I'M LOOKING AT SAYS 0 OF 59 + POWERBALL 1:62.

IT ALSO OVERALL ODDS OF WINNING A PRIZE 1 IN 35.11

Happy New Year, KY Floyd.

Dang, I was hoping this year would be different.

Bang Head

Todd,

Good post above, but I really feel that the MUSL is operating under "If you build it they will come" as in Field of Dreams.

Let's call it "If you offer it they will play."

We shall see.

Captain Lotto's avatarCaptain Lotto

Hear, hear, Todd.

rad242

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on Jan 4, 2012

I've done some thinking on this, and spent some time writing an e-mail to someone this morning.  It summarizes my views on the changes pretty well, so I'm re-posting it here.

I know that it will not make everyone happy to read it, but I am trying to rise above the anger and contemplate the changes on a reasonable and thoughtful level.  I hope it will be taken as such, as food for thought.

My e-mail below is in response to an e-mail written to me, in which the person does not like the changes and price increase.  I edited my response below slightly to take out some personal details.

I understand your point of view, but I also sympathize with Chuck from MUSL. He is undergoing withering attacks at the moment, and there is no way for him to fully defend himself and his decision until sales prove he is right. And that won't happen for months, especially if there is an initial dropoff in sales.

Frankly, I think some of the anger and vitriol is over the top. It's not like people don't have other lottery options, like Mega Millions and their in-state games.

Clearly, the multi-state games must continue to evolve in order to keep producing the kind of jackpots that get people interested. However, there is really no way for them to expand the number pools, because they are already to the point of ridiculous to win. So a price increase is a way to make the jackpots better, while even allowing the game to get a little easier to beat.

It's not greed, because greed would mean that MUSL would get something out of it. They really don't. The people at MUSL run a tight ship, and do a good job.

Greed would also imply that people will LIKE the changes enough to buy even more tickets. So it doesn't make any sense to say that the changes suck, but the lotteries will make out like bandits. If the game sucks, people will stop playing and they will lose money.

For the last few years, MUSL has been under attack from the state lotteries because the jackpots have not been as high as they should be, and now they are under attack from many players who say they are jerks for raising the prices. So Chuck can't win, other than to make the changes he knows he has to make, and take an incredible amount of heat for months. This time next year he will probably be vindicated.

The other reason I sympathize with Chuck is that I personally suffer the same kind of attacks any time I change something on the web sites. People are so resistive to change that they will lash out any time something changes, without trying to understand why the change was done — or believing the explanations. Some of the most important and best improvements to Lottery Post have produced the most vicious attacks on me. But then after a few months those same people are saying how great everything is. But I've never once had someone who attacked me later come back to me and say they were wrong.

The bottom line is that it is incredibly difficult to be the person who makes a very unpopular change that they know in their heart is the right thing to do.

I agree with you 100% Todd!

As a policy maker myself I know what it is like to come under fire. He who feels it knows it.

We always want more for less and its not realistic. At the end of the day as much as we don't like to hear it, the monies across states are going to fund worthwhile causes that benefit us all. We all want to win and that's not possible so we will whine at every turn.

I don't think we truly appreciate or understand the ODDS we are up against. We say 195mil to 1 so often that it just becomes another ratio. Those are some VERY STEEP ODDS. So we shouldn't be surprized over the fact that most of us haven't won yet or will ever win and chalk it up to some grand conspiracy.

If the MUSL was in a conspiracy, I think they would be far more strategic than the results currently show. They would ensure that all states systematically over time win at least ONE JACKPOT to keep all states engaged. It would just be the smart thing to do to manage these OUTRAGEOUS PERCEPTIONS we all have.

2012 is a LEAP YEAR and with these changes I am prepared to make the LEAP and hopefully be successful this lap!!!

You might want to up the zombie doseage.

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on Jan 4, 2012

The fearless leader has spoken ............. & he is wise !

I will adjust my Mega Millions & Powerball purchases to fit my small budget, and my personal preferences. It can be fun if you make it so!

Thumbs Up  it is kinda like whining about the largest company in the world, Exxon/Mobil, making the biggest profit in the world ...... DUHHHHHH

rad242

Quote: Originally posted by JADELottery on Jan 4, 2012

2 for 1 with your flu shot - Available at your neighborhood Walgreens

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

Quote: Originally posted by Cletu$2 on Jan 3, 2012

Personally,I think it sucks!I doubt if I'll play it twice a week like I do now.I might become one of those people that only plays when the jackpot reaches $100,000,000.

Amen...to that !!   I thought it was nice to dream winning a jackpot for a buck...Same dream costs me twices as much and gives the same results as going to the restroom......FLUSH      Wish we had Megamillions in FL as an option

Well I've come to the conclusion that I don't really hate it, and I'd actually like it if the Powerplay option multiplied the second tier prize more.  I will probably still play a ticket when the Jackpot is high enough.

The main reason is that there are now two options, with essentially the same odds (of a JP win.)  The Mega Millions is a dollar, or 2 dollars with a random multiplier.  The Powerball is 2 dollars, or 3 dollars with a fixed multiplier.  Personally, I think it'd be nice if MUSL or extended games like Hot Lotto - because at least in NJ - the Pick 6 grows ridiculously slowly.

tiggs95's avatartiggs95

Quote: Originally posted by Boney526 on Jan 4, 2012

Well I've come to the conclusion that I don't really hate it, and I'd actually like it if the Powerplay option multiplied the second tier prize more.  I will probably still play a ticket when the Jackpot is high enough.

The main reason is that there are now two options, with essentially the same odds (of a JP win.)  The Mega Millions is a dollar, or 2 dollars with a random multiplier.  The Powerball is 2 dollars, or 3 dollars with a fixed multiplier.  Personally, I think it'd be nice if MUSL or extended games like Hot Lotto - because at least in NJ - the Pick 6 grows ridiculously slowly.

Boney the lowest the jackpot will be now is 40mil..Are you saying you'll buy a ticket when the jackpot is high enough?...Does that mean 40mil is not high enough in your world?..

Quote: Originally posted by tiggs95 on Jan 4, 2012

Boney the lowest the jackpot will be now is 40mil..Are you saying you'll buy a ticket when the jackpot is high enough?...Does that mean 40mil is not high enough in your world?..

Well 40 million is enough.  But they aren't offering me 40 million, they are offering me a small chance at 40 million.  So when the chance is that low, I'll take it when it's at least 250 million, since it's going to cost 2 dollars each time.  That money adds up, but it adds up a lot slower if you play a lot less often.  I usually prefer games like Cash 5 with smaller jackpots, but a much better chance at winning, but I still only play those when their above a certain point.  Not that winning 50,000 dollars wouldn't be enough, it's just not enough to entice me to take that chance.  (Especially if I'm not going to the store anyway)

As it is, it's my habit to only play once the cash option is around 100 million.  So it's really not a big change for me, I always played with Powerplay and now I probably won't.  So - the all in all it's about the same for me one way or the other, except that it will probably get to the point that I'd want to play at more often.

Because, I'm not feeling the full effect yet.

Let me see...

Decisions are hard so that makes them the right ones.

Hmm, interesting equation.

And...

"If you build it, they will come."

A philosophy endorsed by every porn shop, hmm.

Sounds titillating.

And...

"If you build it, they will come."

A philosophy endorsed by every porn shop, hmm.

Sounds titillating.

From what I've read so far, the $2.00 circle jerk of supporters must be really getting a joygasm from it.

rad242

From what I've read so far, the $2.00 circle jerk of supporters must be really getting a joygasm from it.

When all else fails....!

Quote: Originally posted by rad242 on Jan 4, 2012

When all else fails....!

Failure seems to be the Option these days.

GiveFive's avatarGiveFive

I play PB in an office pool, in which I do the collection of money and buying of the tickets.  We tend to play when the JP gets above 100 million.

We've always bought the PowerPlay, so we each chip in $2.00.  I suggested we buy the PowerPlay simply because I was scared to death we'd hit 5 numbers without having bought the PP, and I sure didnt want to disappoint those guys by telling them we won $200,000 when for one lousy dollar more we could of had $1,000,000.  I'm sure there's been more than one person that won 200 grand and were not aware of the PP. Even though 200 G's is a fabulous win, knowing you missed out on another 800 grand for a lousy dollar sure has to sting a bit.

Now, with the 2nd prize being elevated to 1 million dollars without the PP (2 million with it) I guess we wont buy the PP anymore.  I'll ask all of those guys what they'd like to do, but frankly, I dont see many of them wanting to jump up to 3 bucks a game.  I say that even though the same logic above applies - we could have 2 million for one lousy dollar more.   I'd spring for the extra buck, but because I know a tiny bit about the financial situation of some of the people in the pool, I'm not going to push the point.  I've had guys give me two bucks during weeks when we arent playing because the JP is low.  They've told me to "Hold on to it because I  might not have this two bucks when the time comes for us to play."

Guru101's avatarGuru101

Mega Millions, although still a $1 game, will more than likely see worse odds in the near future. The reason being that because Powerball is now a $2 game, a non-Mega Millions state will join Mega Millions. At that time, the odds of Mega Millions will increase. They'll use the same excuse for the last time they raised the odds of winning Powerball to 1 in 195 million - "As a result of adding <state(s)> to the Mega Millions game, a matrix change is necessary because the jackpot would be won too often". I'm sure a lot of you remember them using that excuse for Powerball.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by Guru101 on Jan 4, 2012

Mega Millions, although still a $1 game, will more than likely see worse odds in the near future. The reason being that because Powerball is now a $2 game, a non-Mega Millions state will join Mega Millions. At that time, the odds of Mega Millions will increase. They'll use the same excuse for the last time they raised the odds of winning Powerball to 1 in 195 million - "As a result of adding <state(s)> to the Mega Millions game, a matrix change is necessary because the jackpot would be won too often". I'm sure a lot of you remember them using that excuse for Powerball.

When PB pulled that trick it was only sold in twelve or so states and expanded to 40 or so states possibly tripling its number of players.  Now that both games are sold in forty or more states, adding another state won't increase their number of players to any where near that amount now.

TheRightPrice

I think you could be wrong. It's Mega Millions with Better odds of winning that usually has Jackpots greater than 300 million. Powerball never gets so high before there is a winner with the current odds.

Good points, Guru101.

I remember the front page headlines when California was about to enter MM:

California to Join Mega Millions, $500 M Jackpots Possible.

Hasn't happened yet, not even $400 M.

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

Quote: Originally posted by IITWIB on Jan 3, 2012

I am sure they will rig a win as stated before that, or the jackpot before. But if not I am sure the new rules will just go into effect regardless. They should add $40 million to the pot but I doubt that will happen, the new payouts will just go into effect.

adamc224

Seems the same opinion is rampant on this message board... either stop playing or buy less... but only a few have seen the bigger and brighter picture in all this.
1. There are better odds...
2. There will be in my opinion faster and larger jackpots.
3. Possibility of a 400 million plus jackpots.

For the people that only play when the jackpot is over 200 million, they are going to play as many lines as they did before because it is in our mind that 20 dollars for 200 plus million is better than 1 million plus on a scratch off that cost 20 dollars. It is all a shot in the dark. You play the same risk with the stock market slot machine scratch off or jackpot games.

I am a little upset at the price, I buy only 3 lines and now that is going to cost me 6.00 a draw. But I see it as a way to make more money when I do win the jackpot. I will buy tickets when the jackpot resets because now even the first 40 million is going to be worth winning!!!

Good Luck and God Bless!

gocart1's avatargocart1

OK  ....Maybe it's just me being very tried after working all day , but I was looking to see if the new Powerball was still going to be played with the ping pong balls or was it going to be computer generated ....Please don't take my head off ..I just didn't see it anywere that it was still going to be played with ping pong balls...i dont like the computer generated games out there ...don't trust them ,never did...O ...and                HAPPY NEWYEAR    to all

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

l am so happy the price is going up and am happy the jackpot is going up too ,because l was about to start playing the euro millions which is really really big and tickets cost more like $3 . so am one of thoes that only play when jackpots get to $250million so i guess powerball now wants my business seriously and all i can say is bring it on am next inline for the big win and all the beautiful women are already waiting for my check to arrive so we can all go on a private cruise arround the world lol.

I don't see why. For me $5 million or $500 million is the same, I would not spend all of either and still be happy. $500 million would draw a lot more media, taxes, and unwanted attention also. You got a lot of greedy people who want a billion dollars yet they could not even manage $5 million or spend it, unless they blew it all. So the larger jackpots do not entice me much more. I will take $5-$20 million and be happy. The rest is just bonus money.

TheGameGrl's avatarTheGameGrl

Quote: Originally posted by gocart1 on Jan 4, 2012

OK  ....Maybe it's just me being very tried after working all day , but I was looking to see if the new Powerball was still going to be played with the ping pong balls or was it going to be computer generated ....Please don't take my head off ..I just didn't see it anywere that it was still going to be played with ping pong balls...i dont like the computer generated games out there ...don't trust them ,never did...O ...and                HAPPY NEWYEAR    to all

gocart, You bring up a good point that I hadn't considered thus far. I was only considering the wagering change and the number changes for the draws, not so much the "process" for how or if that would change. So I will error on the side of caution here and say that the drawing will still remain the air ball drawing since it didnt relay via the new promotional schematics that this too would change.

And...a Happy Lucky New Year to you and yours!

mcginnin56

Well they say  timing is everything. I was fortunate to have scored $200k by getting all five white powerball #'s back in "07".  I didn't opt for the powerplay (which was 2); but now for your $2.00 wager you can become a millionaire for the same five balls.  Wink

I'm going to continue playing my three numbers twice a week. I don't look at it as all the extra money I'm losing, but how I will feel when I get those allusive five balls again. Maybe the powerball to?Banana

As time marches on we can either embrace inevitable changes and make the best of our situation, or resist, kicking, screaming and making yourself miserable. Life is far to short.

Best of luck and prosperity to everyone! I have a really good feeling about 2012.  Party

psykomo's avatarpsykomo

Quote: Originally posted by TNPATL on Jan 3, 2012

who n d hello care'sssssssss?????????????

my cable BILL went ^^^more'nn $5.00>>>!

ask O'BAMO 444444444444'cc $change>!

do U r <<<<<<<anyone ??? get cable for?

FREE>>>>>>>>>anyone ??? they ^^^^UP^

what is the 800 # ?? consumer right'ss!!!!

temptustoo's avatartemptustoo

I played when the jackpot was high..  I don't think at this time that I would spend the money.. I would rather LOSE it to pic 3.. LOLShocked

psykomo's avatarpsykomo

Quote: Originally posted by sirbrad on Jan 4, 2012

I am sure they will rig a win as stated before that, or the jackpot before. But if not I am sure the new rules will just go into effect regardless. They should add $40 million to the pot but I doubt that will happen, the new payouts will just go into effect.

I'm sure UR cable is RIGGED>>>>>>>>>>>UNLESS UR on WELFARE<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOW MANY of Uuuuuuuuuuu<<<<<<<<<<<sit on UR asset'sssssss<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<?????????

& get UR cable TV 4 FREE>>>>>>>>so why should powerball NOT^^^

raise UR>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>PRICE of a TICKET??????????????????so uuuuuuuuuucan pay FAIR SHARE !!!!!!

ur a weloff person if u skam D system LoviesLoverJester LaughLovies $$$$$$!

welcome>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>aboardddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd$$$$$$$$$$$$

PartyPartyJack-in-the-BoxPartyPartyWhite BounceWhite BounceWhite BounceJester LaughChair

A Big decision and a Big change with Big jackpots means a Big public ad campaign to let the people know about the upcoming event.

Oh, wait... there was little to none.

jarasan's avatarjarasan

It will affect sales but then again............. the Quick Pickers....................OK so now what will the catchy phrase be?????????  "A dollar and a dream" will only apply to the MEGA.  So what will it be for $2 PBall?

"Two bux sux",  comes to mind immediately,  then "The 2dollar dream ream".  I would like to run their ad campaign.  "reach around...................

Thud

rad242

The Powerball Jackpot rolled over for the 3rd time and by TWICE ($14m) the amount it typically does at the stage in the build up to a huge jackpot. For those of you that trend this you can validate as much.

I guess this is the aggressive particpation of all of those opponents to the new game trying to win before it goes to $2 - lol!

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by rad242 on Jan 5, 2012

The Powerball Jackpot rolled over for the 3rd time and by TWICE ($14m) the amount it typically does at the stage in the build up to a huge jackpot. For those of you that trend this you can validate as much.

I guess this is the aggressive particpation of all of those opponents to the new game trying to win before it goes to $2 - lol!

Excellent observation rad242. Your right on the money, only 10 day's left to win that Powerball at only $1/ticket. Conversely the sales should drop after the 15th for a few months until stability returns.I Agree!

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

Mcginnin56, I just wonder if nobody wins the jackpot between now and the new "$2 start date", will the increase be at normal traditional rates of the past or the predicted rate of the future starting after Jan 15th ?

Todd's avatarTodd

Hmmm, note to lottery directors:  here's a new marketing angle you may not have thought of.  Instead of the next marketing slogan of "You could win!", maybe it should be "You guys better buy more tickets or we'll raise the price."

LOL  If we weren't laughing we'd be cying, right?  Better to laugh.

JezzVim

Dunno WHEN we as a people of the USA will get smart and stop voting in people that do not represent us, disrepect us, use us and threaten us if we don't fall in line with what they want.  They use police action against us if we try to rise up against the crap they spit out at us, calling it "Security", the only thing is secure is that they can make a mockery of our Constitution and the Bill of Right.   Use us as they see fit?   The young ones are fed up with it and they have the power to change things, the powers that be beat them down but they will rise again and again until they win our rights back.  We have a right to assemble and the Constitution says we have Rights to Free Speech.

If they need more money for the States, then the largest "Job Creator" should start hiring to fix the bridges and roads in this country.

Politicians have gone mad with power.  Most, if not all, are too stupid and self centered to help us.

With that beig said, I will never buy another Powerball ticket again. 

rad242

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on Jan 5, 2012

Hmmm, note to lottery directors:  here's a new marketing angle you may not have thought of.  Instead of the next marketing slogan of "You could win!", maybe it should be "You guys better buy more tickets or we'll raise the price."

Todd - I am shocked and appalled at your response and the manner in which you trivialize a NATIONAL ISSUE - lol! lol! lol! lol! Now that I am off the ground and dusted myself off i think I will laugh until I cry.

Your comment was a classic! lol

tiggs95's avatartiggs95

Pretty soon lottery prices will be like gas and need a credit card to buy one...

Quote: Originally posted by tiggs95 on Jan 5, 2012

Pretty soon lottery prices will be like gas and need a credit card to buy one...

I thought some peeps already use their credit cards to purchase lottery tickets What?

THRIFTY's avatarTHRIFTY

Playing the lottery more often for more lines= Spending more money= Gambling addiction.

rad242

Buying HOPE on CREDIT. Now there's a concept!

tiggs95's avatartiggs95

Next will be but 20.00 worth of power ball tickets get one free...Got that here in Ky already..Right now buy 2 five dollar scratch offs of the same kind and get a three dollar one free with a coupon they send you in the e-mail...The lottery peeps are always thinking and lottery peeps keep on buying...One winner and 299 million losers of the big jackpot..

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by tiggs95 on Jan 5, 2012

I can't get credit cards.

The mailman can't seem to get them to the right address.

And I noticed that all the McNutt's just got new overalls and shotguns.

tiggs95's avatartiggs95

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Jan 5, 2012

Move in with th McNutts problem solved....Next!..

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

Quote: Originally posted by gocart1 on Jan 4, 2012

According to the Iowa Lottery.nothing is changing when it comes to the drawings.So no,they won't switch to computerized drawings.

Todd's avatarTodd

Quote: Originally posted by Cletu$2 on Jan 5, 2012

According to the Iowa Lottery.nothing is changing when it comes to the drawings.So no,they won't switch to computerized drawings.

Actually, the draws will change -- they are getting rid of the Power Play drawing, which was the only computerized portion of the draw.

rad242

Yaaay!

I prefer to see my numbers NOT COME

Actually, the draws will change -- they are getting rid of the Power Play drawing, which was the only computerized portion of the draw.

That must be their 'Give and Take' on it.

They must know most people don't like computerized draws, so let's appeal to them, then stick it to them with a price hike.

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by CDanaT on Jan 5, 2012

Mcginnin56, I just wonder if nobody wins the jackpot between now and the new "$2 start date", will the increase be at normal traditional rates of the past or the predicted rate of the future starting after Jan 15th ?

From my observation in NH games CDanaT, specifically the Weekly Grand, and Megabucks+ that both went from $1 to $2 in the last year, their sales based upon the jackpot amounts have gone up steadily, but not right away...... took 3-4 months to catch on.

I predict the same happening with Powerball. Probably by March-April we should see the anticipated predicted rates of jackpot increases.

Todd's avatarTodd

Quote: Originally posted by JADELottery on Jan 5, 2012

That must be their 'Give and Take' on it.

They must know most people don't like computerized draws, so let's appeal to them, then stick it to them with a price hike.

Yes, I'm sure that's their thinking exactly. Roll Eyes

dr65's avatardr65

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Jan 5, 2012

LOL rdgrnr!

I'm not playing PB anymore but am having a good time reading what is going to be changing and how

people are taking it. Good topic.

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

I only know what they told me.Here is their answer to my inquiry:

Hi, Mike!

Nothing in regards to the way the drawings work is changing.

Thanks,

Iowa Lottery Webmaster

At what point are the Lotto Zombies going to realize how much they are getting ripped off?

First it's $2.00, then $3.00, $4.00, $5.00... before long you're plopping down $50.00-$60.00 bucks a combo.

I suppose at some point when they've hacked off all their limbs to pay for a ticket; they'll roll into a store one day, grab some Cheetos and ask for a Powerball.

As they're rolling out the store, Cheetos and ticket in mouth, they'll say to themselves, "What the hell am I doing?"

Buying HOPE on CREDIT. Now there's a concept!

PLAY now PAY later Hiding Behind Computer

rad242

At what point are the Lotto Zombies going to realize how much they are getting ripped off?

First it's $2.00, then $3.00, $4.00, $5.00... before long you're plopping down $50.00-$60.00 bucks a combo.

I suppose at some point when they've hacked off all their limbs to pay for a ticket; they'll roll into a store one day, grab some Cheetos and ask for a Powerball.

As they're rolling out the store, Cheetos and ticket in mouth, they'll say to themselves, "What the hell am I doing?"

And here I was thinking it was TNT that carried the slogan  "We know drama" - lol!

If you're nothing else, YOU ARE ENTERTAINING.

And here I was thinking it was TNT that carried the slogan  "We know drama" - lol!

If you're nothing else, YOU ARE ENTERTAINING.

Hey, Eleven of out Ten Lotto Zombies prefer eating Cheetos while watching TNT.

rad242

Hey, Eleven of out Ten Lotto Zombies prefer eating Cheetos while watching TNT.

Okay, I will adnmit that I am a hugh Law & Order Fan but does that make me a ZOMBIE?

I just happen to see differing perspectives INCLUDING YOURS.

Okay, I will adnmit that I am a hugh Law & Order Fan but does that make me a ZOMBIE?

I just happen to see differing perspectives INCLUDING YOURS.

Nah, watching TNT won't turn you into a Zombie.

Eat enough of those friggin' Cheetos and you might.

That reminds me, I have to pick up a bag of Cheetos for tonight.

I'm outta here....

bobby623's avatarbobby623

Without revealing my age (lol), I can remember a time when most of our elected officials and department heads listened to taxpayers and planned accordingly. Now, the only ones with a voice and the power are the politicians and department heads. The rest of us are suppose to shutup and pay the bills. If we don't like what they are doing, then ..... well, it would hurt if we did it.!

The 'pols' who are suppose to represent me, don't fear anyone or any future election. They have the money and the power. They know that the electorate is mostly stupid, high on drugs or don't really give a crap.

The only ones who had a vote on raising the Poweball ticket price to $2 were state lottery department heads.
They got together in a closed meeting, decided they needed to make more money and adopted the $1 increase.
No public polls were taken. They took advantage of the power they have to do just about anything they want, so long as it generates a profit.
We can complain all we want, but nothing will change. The decision has been made. If you (generic) don't like it, go sit on it.

No lottery in it's right mind is going to admit to any kind of mistake. The $1 increase will cover the initial losses caused by the player defections.
Cannibalizing one game to support another is routine business for lottery folks. Time is on their side. They know as sure as the sun rises and sets everyday that gamblers will grumble but will eventually pay the price.

I think we all know deep down that the cost of playing the Mega Millions game will increase, but probably not in 2012.
When we gamblers adjust to the $2 Powerball in about a year, those with the power will be looking around for changes to
bring in more profits.

Personally, I think lottery directors want that third, higher priced jackpot game. I'm betting it will be a $5 game and we may have it
sooner than we think.

In my humble opinion, of course.

rad242

Quote: Originally posted by bobby623 on Jan 5, 2012

Without revealing my age (lol), I can remember a time when most of our elected officials and department heads listened to taxpayers and planned accordingly. Now, the only ones with a voice and the power are the politicians and department heads. The rest of us are suppose to shutup and pay the bills. If we don't like what they are doing, then ..... well, it would hurt if we did it.!

The 'pols' who are suppose to represent me, don't fear anyone or any future election. They have the money and the power. They know that the electorate is mostly stupid, high on drugs or don't really give a crap.

The only ones who had a vote on raising the Poweball ticket price to $2 were state lottery department heads.
They got together in a closed meeting, decided they needed to make more money and adopted the $1 increase.
No public polls were taken. They took advantage of the power they have to do just about anything they want, so long as it generates a profit.
We can complain all we want, but nothing will change. The decision has been made. If you (generic) don't like it, go sit on it.

No lottery in it's right mind is going to admit to any kind of mistake. The $1 increase will cover the initial losses caused by the player defections.
Cannibalizing one game to support another is routine business for lottery folks. Time is on their side. They know as sure as the sun rises and sets everyday that gamblers will grumble but will eventually pay the price.

I think we all know deep down that the cost of playing the Mega Millions game will increase, but probably not in 2012.
When we gamblers adjust to the $2 Powerball in about a year, those with the power will be looking around for changes to
bring in more profits.

Personally, I think lottery directors want that third, higher priced jackpot game. I'm betting it will be a $5 game and we may have it
sooner than we think.

I would hate to see the commentary on Exxon's website when gas prices go up.

Think about it seriously. Gas for the most part is a NECESSITY. Gambling isn't but on the other the MUSL in effect is taking away our constitutional rights - THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS - lol!!!!

haymaker's avatarhaymaker

Quote: Originally posted by bobby623 on Jan 5, 2012

bring in more profits.

sooner than we think.

could not agree more, not a reg. pb player, but your reasoning is the same as how jersey came to have the highest state tax on winnings. @10.8%

not sure when this happened, boney526,maddog10,todd,anyone help me out on this one,but i'm sure the legislature passed it when most were asleep.

and the it was suppresed by the media, i did't know until i looked for it.

I would hate to see the commentary on Exxon's website when gas prices go up.

Think about it seriously. Gas for the most part is a NECESSITY. Gambling isn't but on the other the MUSL in effect is taking away our constitutional rights - THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS - lol!!!!

Actually, the lottery is hoping we all have learned enough Harry Potter that we all start trying to transform our losing tickets into a few gallons gas to offest our losses.

Actually, the lottery is hoping we all have learned enough Harry Potter that we all start trying to transform our losing tickets into a few gallons gas to offest our losses.

don't know much about harry potter,but still LOL,maybe a big pile of loosers could be fireplace starter.

rad242

If it's not too personal, how much do you spend on the lottery in a given week? Or are you one of those that waits for the jackpot to reach a certain level?

A lot of the WHINERS on here from what I can tell spend a dollar a week when they treat themselves to the weekly Dr. Pepper and the others buy a quick pick when the credit card isn't registering at the pump and they're forced to go inside to the cashier

yea, 21st century alchemy.

gocart1's avatargocart1

I only know what they told me.Here is their answer to my inquiry:

Hi, Mike!

Nothing in regards to the way the drawings work is changing.

Thanks,

Iowa Lottery Webmaster

Thanks  Mike

Re: Gasoline, I've always felt this way......if three os us here decided to heist a gas station tomorrow, we'd be common criminals......but if the CEO's of three petroleum comanies decided to screw everyone in America who fuels up tomorrow 8 cents a gallon or so, they would be hot shot execs who are taking care of the shareholders, while stuffing their own pockets, of course.

As for PB, this is an interesting thread but let's face it, most of the people here saying they won't play it will play it, the MUSL knows that players will still play, and the 104 or so drawings for the year will produce 12 to 15 jackpot winners, and that's the way it is.

If it's not too personal, how much do you spend on the lottery in a given week? Or are you one of those that waits for the jackpot to reach a certain level?

A lot of the WHINERS on here from what I can tell spend a dollar a week when they treat themselves to the weekly Dr. Pepper and the others buy a quick pick when the credit card isn't registering at the pump and they're forced to go inside to the cashier

between $1.00 to $40.00

THRIFTY's avatarTHRIFTY

"TO HAVE 1 QUICK PICK TICKET IS TO HAVE A TALISMAN OF POSSIBLE WEALTH."

HEY, YOU NEVER KNOW.

Quote: Originally posted by Coin Toss on Jan 5, 2012

Re: Gasoline, I've always felt this way......if three os us here decided to heist a gas station tomorrow, we'd be common criminals......but if the CEO's of three petroleum comanies decided to screw everyone in America who fuels up tomorrow 8 cents a gallon or so, they would be hot shot execs who are taking care of the shareholders, while stuffing their own pockets, of course.

As for PB, this is an interesting thread but let's face it, most of the people here saying they won't play it will play it, the MUSL knows that players will still play, and the 104 or so drawings for the year will produce 12 to 15 jackpot winners, and that's the way it is.

yo ct,you're on the $ as always, when you work for the casino biz.you see the same stupid over&over,

and you know that comedy guy says "you can't fix stupid'

Quote: Originally posted by haymaker on Jan 5, 2012

yo ct,you're on the $ as always, when you work for the casino biz.you see the same stupid over&over,

and you know that comedy guy says "you can't fix stupid'

Ron White.

Ron White.

thanks, could'nt think of his name when making post.

Quote: Originally posted by haymaker on Jan 5, 2012

could not agree more, not a reg. pb player, but your reasoning is the same as how jersey came to have the highest state tax on winnings. @10.8%

not sure when this happened, boney526,maddog10,todd,anyone help me out on this one,but i'm sure the legislature passed it when most were asleep.

and the it was suppresed by the media, i did't know until i looked for it.

It was done in mid-2009, but applied retroactively to January 1st.  The bill came a few months after a group of NJ players won a MM jackpot of about $200 million (annuity value), and many of them believe that was the reason for the change in the law. News articles quoted a state official as saying it would generate about $8 million per year, but figuring the group collected a cash prize of at least $100 million the state would have reaped a windfall of about $11 million just from that one drawing. 

I haven't seen an update, but at least one winner filed a suit against the state, arguing that changing the rules after the fact is a breach of contract. Sensible people balance risk and reward, so sensible lottery players would judge the risk they're taking by buying a ticket with such steep odds against the prize they'll actually net, not an advertised amount that's inflated by more than 100%. To induce players to risk their money and buy tickets the state claimed they would pay the jackpot  free of state income tax. After the players fulfilled their part of the contract by buying tickets the state reduced the net prize by about 10% by taxing it.

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

I bet even if the jackpot gets to $500 million that there will be 3 winners, 2 we never hear from or never "cashed in their ticket". I am sure the Lottery headquarters will have those stashed away to save about $332 million. Skeptical

Quote: Originally posted by KY Floyd on Jan 6, 2012

It was done in mid-2009, but applied retroactively to January 1st.  The bill came a few months after a group of NJ players won a MM jackpot of about $200 million (annuity value), and many of them believe that was the reason for the change in the law. News articles quoted a state official as saying it would generate about $8 million per year, but figuring the group collected a cash prize of at least $100 million the state would have reaped a windfall of about $11 million just from that one drawing. 

I haven't seen an update, but at least one winner filed a suit against the state, arguing that changing the rules after the fact is a breach of contract. Sensible people balance risk and reward, so sensible lottery players would judge the risk they're taking by buying a ticket with such steep odds against the prize they'll actually net, not an advertised amount that's inflated by more than 100%. To induce players to risk their money and buy tickets the state claimed they would pay the jackpot  free of state income tax. After the players fulfilled their part of the contract by buying tickets the state reduced the net prize by about 10% by taxing it.

thanks for that info,forgot about that retro.thing,

jersey is ex. about figureing how to reach into our pockets.

oughta be charged w/ fraud or at least pickpocketing.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Unless you match 5+0 or win the JP, a $1 MM ticket is the better deal

$2 PB ticket  $1 MM ticket
  5/5+B    JP            JP
  5/5+0   $1,000,000    $250,000 
  4/5+B   $10,000      $10,000
  4/5+0   $100          $150
  3/5+B   $100          $150
  3/5+0   $7            $7
  2/5+B   $7            $10
  1/5+B   $4             $3
  0/5+B   $4            $2

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Jan 7, 2012

Unless you match 5+0 or win the JP, a $1 MM ticket is the better deal

$2 PB ticket  $1 MM ticket
  5/5+B    JP            JP
  5/5+0   $1,000,000    $250,000 
  4/5+B   $10,000      $10,000
  4/5+0   $100          $150
  3/5+B   $100          $150
  3/5+0   $7            $7
  2/5+B   $7            $10
  1/5+B   $4             $3
  0/5+B   $4            $2

you're right, i'll still be playing Mega or untill that goes up too.

Iesha Kelly

When gambling is an addiction, that thought will never pop into their head.  They have to gamble.  The gambling matters more than winning or losing.  If they won, they wouldn't stop gambling.  If they lose, they'll keep gambling.  But I liked your imagery.  That's a very frightening thought.

I'm not sure of the cheerleaders here for PowerBall's new game are addicts or paid yes-men/astroturfers. 

When I saw the new prize tiers, I said to myself, 'ahh, they HotLotto'd it'.   HotLotto's Sizzler is a static 3x.  It also takes forever to build up, and the winners come from the same 3 or 4 states every time.  PowerBall put on the appearance of offering more prize money by hoping that people would only look at 'ooh! $1million for $2!', but I look at it from who the small winners are, and PowerBall just completely suckerpunched lower level prize winners.  The least they could do was make getting four balls, or three balls and the powerball $500........ nope.  And the prize for just the powerball is just about the equivalent of 'free ticket' in scratch offs.

In my mind, in a bad economy, only the already rich, the connected and the addicts are going to continue to put down money for a powerball ticket...... especially when MegaMillions is still $1 a dream.  If people want to pay more to lose more often, that's fine.  But it just seems 'smarter', if one is a gambler, to go for the local games, create systems for those, with what should be better odds, and win slowly but steadily over what PowerBall is doing.

Iesha Kelly

I don't understand your contempt towards Jade, rad242.   It's supposed to be a GOOD thing to only spend a dollar a week to treat one's self to a dream.   It's an impulse buy, but it's a controlled impulse buy.  Much better than the sad cases of people spending half their paycheck (or disability, or social security) on scratch-offs and drawings hoping that this time they'll hit it big and won't have to worry about anything ever again.

To succeed, the lottery needs those 'whiners' (as you call them) to believe they have a chance, so that they'll put down that dollar or two a week.  Those dollars add up.  Having casual player say 'screw this!' doesn't help the lottery unless radical changes are made to how the game is marketed, how the game is set up, and how the game pays out.  It takes more than addicts and bored rich folks with a system to make lotteries succeed.

But am I misunderstanding your contempt towards Jade?  Where do you fall, yourself, on the 'how much do you spend' graph?

We're in a bad economic situation, in spite of the growing light at the end of the tunnel.  There is no way I would spend a mandatory $2 on Powerball for the crap prizes they're offering.  There is no way I'm going to spend $3, when the prizes offered under the old system had the chance to pay out much more at lower levels for $1 less.  This $2 game with $3 for added powerplay is strictly for people with a lot more disposable income than I have right now.

If you're one of those people with a lot of disposable income -- be it earned through a straight job, investment (gambling is not an investment), disability or social security, or prior gambling wins -- bully for you.  But I believe it's wrong to call out folks who don't have as much disposable income as you, for not dropping as much money as you on a dream.  Does this make sense?  Or do you disagree?

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by Iesha Kelly on Jan 8, 2012

I don't understand your contempt towards Jade, rad242.   It's supposed to be a GOOD thing to only spend a dollar a week to treat one's self to a dream.   It's an impulse buy, but it's a controlled impulse buy.  Much better than the sad cases of people spending half their paycheck (or disability, or social security) on scratch-offs and drawings hoping that this time they'll hit it big and won't have to worry about anything ever again.

To succeed, the lottery needs those 'whiners' (as you call them) to believe they have a chance, so that they'll put down that dollar or two a week.  Those dollars add up.  Having casual player say 'screw this!' doesn't help the lottery unless radical changes are made to how the game is marketed, how the game is set up, and how the game pays out.  It takes more than addicts and bored rich folks with a system to make lotteries succeed.

But am I misunderstanding your contempt towards Jade?  Where do you fall, yourself, on the 'how much do you spend' graph?

We're in a bad economic situation, in spite of the growing light at the end of the tunnel.  There is no way I would spend a mandatory $2 on Powerball for the crap prizes they're offering.  There is no way I'm going to spend $3, when the prizes offered under the old system had the chance to pay out much more at lower levels for $1 less.  This $2 game with $3 for added powerplay is strictly for people with a lot more disposable income than I have right now.

If you're one of those people with a lot of disposable income -- be it earned through a straight job, investment (gambling is not an investment), disability or social security, or prior gambling wins -- bully for you.  But I believe it's wrong to call out folks who don't have as much disposable income as you, for not dropping as much money as you on a dream.  Does this make sense?  Or do you disagree?

Hats off to you Iesha, we lottery players are as different as the demographic's of this country. Be it a dollar or five hundred dollars/week; We all have our hopes & dreams that take varying venues depending on your soci-economic beliefs. Judge not, less thee be judged. 

I Agree!

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by Mario38 on Jan 3, 2012

The jackpot will increase by at least $10 million every drawing there is no grand prize winner, whereas under the current structure there is no minimum increase.

The above statement from the story is incorrect. Under the current structure, the jackpot increases a minimum $5 million per draw.

Also, under the current structure, the only way to gain a realistic payout is via group play. The new structure makes it even more difficult to gain a realistic payout as an individual player.

Good luck.

"...the only way to gain a realistic payout is via group play."

Actually, that's not true.

When compared with individual wins, group wins are a rarity.

Statistically, you're much better off playing as an individual.

And an added bonus is you don't have to split with anybody or get sued by idiots who claim they were in your group.

Then on top of that you don't have to deal with unscrupulous people who may abscond with your money or deny your winnings.

Not worth it.

But whatever you decide, Good Luck!

Mario38

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Jan 8, 2012

And an added bonus is you don't have to split with anybody or get sued by idiots who claim they were in your group.

Then on top of that you don't have to deal with unscrupulous people who may abscond with your money or deny your winnings.

Not worth it.

I do not think you studied mathematics in school, so I will not bother trying to explain it to you.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by Mario38 on Jan 8, 2012

I do not think you studied mathematics in school, so I will not bother trying to explain it to you.

Well alrighty then!

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Jan 8, 2012

Not worth it.

It hardly takes a rocket scientist to figure out that if you're in a group of 5 and everybody plays $1 you're 5 times as likely to win a jackpot as you are playing $1 all by yourself. To anyone who actually pays attention the statistics show that more than 2/3 of the people who claimed a powerball jackpot in 2011 did so as a result of playing in a group. Some years it's over 90%. As a simple matter of probability playing in a pool very clearly makes you more likely to win.

Quote: Originally posted by KY Floyd on Jan 11, 2012

It hardly takes a rocket scientist to figure out that if you're in a group of 5 and everybody plays $1 you're 5 times as likely to win a jackpot as you are playing $1 all by yourself. To anyone who actually pays attention the statistics show that more than 2/3 of the people who claimed a powerball jackpot in 2011 did so as a result of playing in a group. Some years it's over 90%. As a simple matter of probability playing in a pool very clearly makes you more likely to win.

Well, rocket scientist, from the Powerball website, there were twelve 2011 Jackpot Winners. The only group is the Flatbush Avenue Dodgers. The Carvajal Family Group is more likely a family than a pool. Hardly 2/3 of the 2011 winners, KY Floyd.

You also didn't mention that those in a pool might win and not collect for a good while because a former member of the pool thinks they have a share coming, and depending on the size of the pool an individual's share might not really be like hitting a jackpot.

I think I'm not the only one here wondering just whose 2011 Powerball statisitics you are paying attention to.

Powerball Winners  

2011 Winners
Steven Lloyd
Pennsylvania
November 19, 2011 Cash $59,900,000.00 annuity
$37,622,580.20 cash
Putnam Ave. Family Trust
Connecticut
November 2, 2011 Cash $254,200,000.00 annuity
$151,664,457.51 cash
Kathy Scruggs
Georgia
September 14, 2011 Cash $25,000,000.00 annuity
$15,124,016.94 cash
Name Withheld
Maryland
September 7, 2011 Cash $108,800,000.00 annuity
$65,294,048.66 cash
Thomas Morris
Minnesota
August 10, 2011 Cash $228,900,000.00 annuity
$123,602,685.09 cash
Pending
Georgia
June 29, 2011 Pending $77,100,000.00 annuity
$40,827,464.52 cash
Jimmy Freeman
Massachusetts
June 8, 2011 Cash $25,600,000.00 annuity
$13,493,470.86 cash
1937 Flatbush Avenue Dodgers LLC
New York
June 1, 2011 Cash $201,900,000.00 annuity
$106,159,636.69 cash
Bill Swanson
Indiana
April 23, 2011 Cash $74,000,000.00 annuity
$37,728,064.69 cash
Michael Reardon & Darin Fox
Indiana
April 6, 2011 Cash $221,700,000.00 annuity
$111,737,725.76 cash
Carvajal Family Group
Florida
February 26, 2011 Cash $182,100,000.00 annuity
$91,187,716.61 cash
Stephen Kirwin
New York
January 22, 2011 Cash $122,100,000.00 annuity
$61,224,679.58 cash

http://www.powerball.com/powerball/pb_stories.asp

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by KY Floyd on Jan 11, 2012

It hardly takes a rocket scientist to see a malcontented ne'er-do-well who's always mad at the world for his own failures either.

You're an idiot, K-Y Jelly Floyd.

I think that jelly is traveling from your rear end up to your brain, Floydie. Either that or you just want to lie about this the same way you lied about me saying I used the word "libtard" a million times when you know I've never once used that word. Never in my life. You're a liar.

And if you wanna lie and say that groups win jackpots more often than individuals then just go on saying it, nobody cares.

But it's just another one of your lies because you're a typical lying lib and when something doesn't fit your agenda you lie about it.

And you know it.

PS. Why don't you stop being such a typical liberal cheapskate and help support this site by buying a membership for the first time in your life, Scrooge? Or do you want everybody else here to give you a free ride like you expect from the government? Miserly tightwad skinflint.

Mario38

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Jan 11, 2012

It hardly takes a rocket scientist to see a malcontented ne'er-do-well who's always mad at the world for his own failures either.

You're an idiot, K-Y Jelly Floyd.

I think that jelly is traveling from your rear end up to your brain, Floydie. Either that or you just want to lie about this the same way you lied about me saying I used the word "libtard" a million times when you know I've never once used that word. Never in my life. You're a liar.

And if you wanna lie and say that groups win jackpots more often than individuals then just go on saying it, nobody cares.

But it's just another one of your lies because you're a typical lying lib and when something doesn't fit your agenda you lie about it.

And you know it.

PS. Why don't you stop being such a typical liberal cheapskate and help support this site by buying a membership for the first time in your life, Scrooge? Or do you want everybody else here to give you a free ride like you expect from the government? Miserly tightwad skinflint.

Does buying a membership allow one to ignore the rules of the site?

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by Mario38 on Jan 11, 2012

Does buying a membership allow one to ignore the rules of the site?

Ignore the rules?

You mean like when Todd busted you for posting under a half dozen different names?

Is that what you mean by "ignore the rules", little guy?

You did that without ever chipping in a nickel to help out, didn't you?

You're a penny-pinching cheapskate lib just like K-Y Jelly Floyd.

You two oughta get married. You could save on the K-Y Jelly that way.

Cheap and Cheaper.

tiggs95's avatartiggs95

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Jan 12, 2012

Ignore the rules?

You mean like when Todd busted you for posting under a half dozen different names?

Cheap and Cheaper.

Wow!!...Like wow man!!!...Grovey man grovey...

Guru101's avatarGuru101

1 more drawing for $1 tickets.

Mario38

Ignore the rules?

Cheap and Cheaper.

I never held more than one account at the same time and no evidence was provided to support the accusation. On the other hand, there is plenty of evidence you constantly insult people and thereby break the rules.

Back to my original question. Is it because you pay money, the rules do not apply to you?

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by Mario38 on Jan 12, 2012

I never held more than one account at the same time and no evidence was provided to support the accusation. On the other hand, there is plenty of evidence you constantly insult people and thereby break the rules.

Back to my original question. Is it because you pay money, the rules do not apply to you?

"I never held more than one account at the same time..."

Yes you did.

"...no evidence was provided to support the accusation..."

Spoken like the true vacillating, hand-wringing, squirming, sniveling, slimy little weasel you are.

Nobody has to provide evidence or anything else to you, little guy; you're just the board schmuck.

Now go eat some yellow snow and report back to me.

Iesha Kelly

Probably just a paid troll.  Trolls equal page hits and posts, equals rise in rankings and ability to earn money.  Win win for the right people.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Probably just another cheapskate lib whinin' about something.

Not enough free stuff. Gimme more free stuff.

And dyin' to "stick it to the man."

You go girl!

tiggs95's avatartiggs95

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Jan 13, 2012

Probably just another cheapskate lib whinin' about something.

Not enough free stuff. Gimme more free stuff.

And dyin' to "stick it to the man."

You go girl!

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee doggie!!!!...Love your style ridgey ole palsey walsey!!!!.........

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by tiggs95 on Jan 13, 2012

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee doggie!!!!...Love your style ridgey ole palsey walsey!!!!.........

Well thank ya kindly, tiggsly, I'm beholden to ya.

Quote: Originally posted by Coin Toss on Jan 11, 2012

Well, rocket scientist, from the Powerball website, there were twelve 2011 Jackpot Winners. The only group is the Flatbush Avenue Dodgers. The Carvajal Family Group is more likely a family than a pool. Hardly 2/3 of the 2011 winners, KY Floyd.

You also didn't mention that those in a pool might win and not collect for a good while because a former member of the pool thinks they have a share coming, and depending on the size of the pool an individual's share might not really be like hitting a jackpot.

I think I'm not the only one here wondering just whose 2011 Powerball statisitics you are paying attention to.

Powerball Winners  

2011 Winners
Steven Lloyd
Pennsylvania
November 19, 2011 Cash $59,900,000.00 annuity
$37,622,580.20 cash
Putnam Ave. Family Trust
Connecticut
November 2, 2011 Cash $254,200,000.00 annuity
$151,664,457.51 cash
Kathy Scruggs
Georgia
September 14, 2011 Cash $25,000,000.00 annuity
$15,124,016.94 cash
Name Withheld
Maryland
September 7, 2011 Cash $108,800,000.00 annuity
$65,294,048.66 cash
Thomas Morris
Minnesota
August 10, 2011 Cash $228,900,000.00 annuity
$123,602,685.09 cash
Pending
Georgia
June 29, 2011 Pending $77,100,000.00 annuity
$40,827,464.52 cash
Jimmy Freeman
Massachusetts
June 8, 2011 Cash $25,600,000.00 annuity
$13,493,470.86 cash
1937 Flatbush Avenue Dodgers LLC
New York
June 1, 2011 Cash $201,900,000.00 annuity
$106,159,636.69 cash
Bill Swanson
Indiana
April 23, 2011 Cash $74,000,000.00 annuity
$37,728,064.69 cash
Michael Reardon & Darin Fox
Indiana
April 6, 2011 Cash $221,700,000.00 annuity
$111,737,725.76 cash
Carvajal Family Group
Florida
February 26, 2011 Cash $182,100,000.00 annuity
$91,187,716.61 cash
Stephen Kirwin
New York
January 22, 2011 Cash $122,100,000.00 annuity
$61,224,679.58 cash

http://www.powerball.com/powerball/pb_stories.asp

You do know that the discussion is about jackpots being won by individuals versus jackpots won by "groups", right? The jackpot was only won 12 times, but there were more than 12 winners. Besides the Flatbush Avenue Dodgers there were at least two other jackpots that were won by groups. One of them is clear for anyone able to understand the table you posted. The other received just a tiny bit of notice recently, both here and in other news sources.

That there may be a dispute that delays payment or reduces the amount  each individsual receives is irrelevant to the chances of winning. You do know that the discussion is about the chances of winning, right?

I said it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out. I never said everybody would be able to understand it.

KY Floyd,

You said:

"Your chances of getting the powerball right are currently 1 in 39, but despite your delusions about PB being two lotteries, everybody who plays a powerball also has to play 5 other numbers on their ticket..."

Powerball website FAQ page:

Powerball is actually two games in one – a big jackpot game and a big Cash 5 game.

Tells me you are the one who is delusional Floyd since you think you know more about it than Powerball does.

Quote: Originally posted by KY Floyd on Jan 14, 2012

You do know that the discussion is about jackpots being won by individuals versus jackpots won by "groups", right? The jackpot was only won 12 times, but there were more than 12 winners. Besides the Flatbush Avenue Dodgers there were at least two other jackpots that were won by groups. One of them is clear for anyone able to understand the table you posted. The other received just a tiny bit of notice recently, both here and in other news sources.

That there may be a dispute that delays payment or reduces the amount  each individsual receives is irrelevant to the chances of winning. You do know that the discussion is about the chances of winning, right?

I said it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out. I never said everybody would be able to understand it.

The only one that doesn't understand it Floyd is you.

Now you are overlooking your wild a** guess of two thirds of winners in 2011 and 90% in most years. Just go to the Powerball website, look up past winners, and see what you find. There is nothing there that is close to your claims. A grouop tghat wins isn't going to have one of the group members use their own name and only their name at a press conference and no group win would be listed as Charley Jones or KY Floyd. "Floyd ole buddy, you accept the check, pay the taxes, and then give us our shares, that's right neighborly of ya."

You're just proving yourself to be highly opinionated and completely ignorant that anyone can disputea your claims juist by taking the extra step and looking up the real data instead of taking your opinions, which are nothing but your opinions, as fact.

Perhaps you should go to work for Pravda or North Korean radio.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by KY Floyd on Jan 14, 2012

Face it K-Y Jelly Floyd, Coin Toss nailed you on that one.

Don't make more of a fool out of yourself - you'll be right about something someday, Jellyman.

Kinda doubt it though.   LOL

Wooooooo hooooooooo, Coin Toss!   Thumbs Up

Iesha Kelly

Ignore the rules?

Cheap and Cheaper.

Speaking of........... how many different trolls/handles do you own yourself?

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by Iesha Kelly on Jan 15, 2012

Speaking of........... how many different trolls/handles do you own yourself?

Ahh, jeeeze...

Here we go again...

Relax, Ileashya, go to your happy place.

Quote: Originally posted by Coin Toss on Jan 14, 2012

The only one that doesn't understand it Floyd is you.

Now you are overlooking your wild a** guess of two thirds of winners in 2011 and 90% in most years. Just go to the Powerball website, look up past winners, and see what you find. There is nothing there that is close to your claims. A grouop tghat wins isn't going to have one of the group members use their own name and only their name at a press conference and no group win would be listed as Charley Jones or KY Floyd. "Floyd ole buddy, you accept the check, pay the taxes, and then give us our shares, that's right neighborly of ya."

You're just proving yourself to be highly opinionated and completely ignorant that anyone can disputea your claims juist by taking the extra step and looking up the real data instead of taking your opinions, which are nothing but your opinions, as fact.

Perhaps you should go to work for Pravda or North Korean radio.

The only thing being proven here is that you're got a problem understanding what you read and an inability to understand the information available on the Powerball website. I realize you're not the sharpest tool in a box of mallets, but maybe you could get someone to help you do exactly what you suggested. Go to the Powerball site, and *look up* the  winners. Here's a hint: the chart ha slinks to info aboutsome of the winners.

Maybe the person who helps you can also explain the difference between "some" and "most".

Quote: Originally posted by Coin Toss on Jan 14, 2012

KY Floyd,

You said:

"Your chances of getting the powerball right are currently 1 in 39, but despite your delusions about PB being two lotteries, everybody who plays a powerball also has to play 5 other numbers on their ticket..."

Powerball website FAQ page:

Powerball is actually two games in one – a big jackpot game and a big Cash 5 game.

Tells me you are the one who is delusional Floyd since you think you know more about it than Powerball does.

They're free to hype it as "two games in one", it still isn't "two lotteries".

Get back to me when you buy a ticket for just one game of the two games in one.

gocart1's avatargocart1

Hello  Todd and my LP family friends,

I'm only on here a few years and I'm usually very quiet staying on the sidelines..My question is ..Does this story have the most comments of all the storys on LP...I love reading most of the storys and their comments...I just wanted to know if this was the biggest  comment filled one as of yet..  O ....By the way ...Great job Todd  and the Fans of LP..always makes my day..PEACE AND LOVE TO ALL MY L.P. FAMILYPartyUS FlagParty

truecritic's avatartruecritic

I went down the list provided by Coin Toss and placed all the winners into either the Powerball search or the Lottery Post search to bring up all the news stories about each of the 12 Powerball wins for 2011.

Steven Lloyd (1) http://www.powerball.com/powerball/winners/2011/111911PA_lloyd.shtml

Putnam Ave. Family Trust (3) https://www.lotterypost.com/news/239831

Kathy Scruggs (1) http://www.powerball.com/powerball/winners/2011/091411GA_Scruggs.shtml

Name Withheld (1) Sept 7, 2011

Thomas Morris - Burnsville Couple Claims $228.9 million Powerball® Jackpot (2) http://www.powerball.com/powerball/winners/2011/081011MN_Morris.sh tml

Pending (1) June 29, 2011

Jimmy Freeman (1) http://www.powerball.com/powerball/winners/2011/060811MA_freeman.shtml

1937 Flatbush Avenue Dodgers LLC (20) https://www.lotterypost.com/news/232930

William "Bill" Swanson II (1) http://www.powerball.com/powerball/winners/2011/042311IN_Swanson.shtml

Michael Reardon & Darin Fox (2) http://www.powerball.com/powerball/winners/2011/040611IN_Fox_Reardon.shtml

Carvajal Family Group (1) https://www.lotterypost.com/news/228539

Stephen Kirwan (1) http://www.powerball.com/powerball/winners/2011/012211NY_Kirwan.shtml

12 jackpots claimed. 35 winners total. 8 individuals. 4 groups of 27 people.

27/35 = 77.1% winners from groups

The chance of winning was overwhelmingly better from a group in 2011.  Of course being somewhat more eager to win the largest amount possible, I don't join groups.  And I hope when it happens, there won't be another winner to share the pot.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by truecritic on Jan 16, 2012

I went down the list provided by Coin Toss and placed all the winners into either the Powerball search or the Lottery Post search to bring up all the news stories about each of the 12 Powerball wins for 2011.

Steven Lloyd (1) http://www.powerball.com/powerball/winners/2011/111911PA_lloyd.shtml

Putnam Ave. Family Trust (3) https://www.lotterypost.com/news/239831

Kathy Scruggs (1) http://www.powerball.com/powerball/winners/2011/091411GA_Scruggs.shtml

Name Withheld (1) Sept 7, 2011

Thomas Morris - Burnsville Couple Claims $228.9 million Powerball® Jackpot (2) http://www.powerball.com/powerball/winners/2011/081011MN_Morris.sh tml

Pending (1) June 29, 2011

Jimmy Freeman (1) http://www.powerball.com/powerball/winners/2011/060811MA_freeman.shtml

1937 Flatbush Avenue Dodgers LLC (20) https://www.lotterypost.com/news/232930

William "Bill" Swanson II (1) http://www.powerball.com/powerball/winners/2011/042311IN_Swanson.shtml

Michael Reardon & Darin Fox (2) http://www.powerball.com/powerball/winners/2011/040611IN_Fox_Reardon.shtml

Carvajal Family Group (1) https://www.lotterypost.com/news/228539

Stephen Kirwan (1) http://www.powerball.com/powerball/winners/2011/012211NY_Kirwan.shtml

12 jackpots claimed. 35 winners total. 8 individuals. 4 groups of 27 people.

27/35 = 77.1% winners from groups

The chance of winning was overwhelmingly better from a group in 2011.  Of course being somewhat more eager to win the largest amount possible, I don't join groups.  And I hope when it happens, there won't be another winner to share the pot.

You say there were 8 individuals who won jackpots and 4 groups that won jackpots in 2011.

And from that you say you were overwhelmingly more likely to win a jackpot if you were in a group?

The number of people in the groups is irrelevant, we're talking about winning jackpots. Doesn't matter if there were thousands in the groups. 

There were 12 jackpots won. Eight were won by individuals, four were won by groups.

That's a 2 to 1 advantage for individuals over groups where I went to school.

K-Y Jelly Floyd will dispute this, naturally, because it's not the way he wants it to be.

But that's the way it is nonetheless

Quote: Originally posted by gocart1 on Jan 16, 2012

Hello  Todd and my LP family friends,

I'm only on here a few years and I'm usually very quiet staying on the sidelines..My question is ..Does this story have the most comments of all the storys on LP...I love reading most of the storys and their comments...I just wanted to know if this was the biggest  comment filled one as of yet..  O ....By the way ...Great job Todd  and the Fans of LP..always makes my day..PEACE AND LOVE TO ALL MY L.P. FAMILYPartyUS FlagParty

gocart i joined later than you,

w/out looking up anything .

just a guess,the athiest thread.

sorry dont't know the link.

Ky Floyd,

Some day you'll realize your bs can be oh so easily disproved just by going to the sources you are trying to skew the data of. Nice attempted save.

truecritic,

Floyd's statement wasn't that most of the people who won a jackpot in 2011 had belonged to a group, his statement was that 2/3 of the 2011 jackpot wins were group wins.

I'm with Ridge, 8 of 12 does not = 2/3. Floyd is just doing a huge spin attempt to prove he wasn't wrong.

He went on to tell us that in most years 90% of the jackposts go to groups. Just go to the PB website, it's all there, and in no year is it anywhere c.ose to 90%.

I'm sure Floyd had a grand time at the 1994 World Series, I'm thinking maybe you did to.

gocart1's avatargocart1

Quote: Originally posted by haymaker on Jan 16, 2012

gocart i joined later than you,

w/out looking up anything .

just a guess,the athiest thread.

sorry dont't know the link.

Thanks haymaker..

DC81's avatarDC81

I like that the prize for getting 0+1 and 1+1 are the same as it is with the $7 and $100 prizes... Of course by "like" I mean find absolutely stupid.

Even with YET AGAIN screwing with things, Powerball will STILL fail to get that record breaking jackpot that was promised when they jacked up the odds the last time while MegaMillions did nothing. This experiment will also fail and they'll be right back tinkering with the game again in another couple years. Roll Eyes

Instead of be putting down a couple bucks when the JP's cash option gets to my usual "play amount" (about 45M cash) before I buy a ticket or two I'm going to be waiting for the JP to be around 100M cash before I even consider tossing in my two bucks.

Quote: Originally posted by Coin Toss on Jan 16, 2012

Ky Floyd,

Some day you'll realize your bs can be oh so easily disproved just by going to the sources you are trying to skew the data of. Nice attempted save.

truecritic,

Floyd's statement wasn't that most of the people who won a jackpot in 2011 had belonged to a group, his statement was that 2/3 of the 2011 jackpot wins were group wins.

I'm with Ridge, 8 of 12 does not = 2/3. Floyd is just doing a huge spin attempt to prove he wasn't wrong.

He went on to tell us that in most years 90% of the jackposts go to groups. Just go to the PB website, it's all there, and in no year is it anywhere c.ose to 90%.

I'm sure Floyd had a grand time at the 1994 World Series, I'm thinking maybe you did to.

"Floyd's statement wasn't that most of the people who won a jackpot in 2011 had belonged to a group, his statement was that 2/3 of the 2011 jackpot wins were group wins."

You really are a moron, arent you? Maybe you were late to the 1989 world series and a freeway fell on your head? I've got no confidence that you could go back and find the post you didn't understand, so here it is again. If you print it out and take it down to the elementary school during recess maybe a 5th grader will be nice enough to explain it to you.

"It hardly takes a rocket scientist to figure out that if you're in a group of 5 and everybody plays $1 you're 5 times as likely to win a jackpot as you are playing $1 all by yourself. To anyone who actually pays attention the statistics show that more than 2/3 of the people who claimed a powerball jackpot in 2011 did so as a result of playing in a group. Some years it's over 90%. As a simple matter of probability playing in a pool very clearly makes you more likely to win."

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Jan 16, 2012

You say there were 8 individuals who won jackpots and 4 groups that won jackpots in 2011.

And from that you say you were overwhelmingly more likely to win a jackpot if you were in a group?

The number of people in the groups is irrelevant, we're talking about winning jackpots. Doesn't matter if there were thousands in the groups. 

There were 12 jackpots won. Eight were won by individuals, four were won by groups.

That's a 2 to 1 advantage for individuals over groups where I went to school.

K-Y Jelly Floyd will dispute this, naturally, because it's not the way he wants it to be.

But that's the way it is nonetheless

I dispute it because I went to a better school and/or was more able to understand what was taught.

You'd be right if we were talking about the chances of a jackpot being claimed by an individual vs the chances of being claimed by a group. I'm counting the couples and families (and the 2 unknowns) as individuals, even though multiple family members may have bought tickets, so the 2010 results show that 9 of the 12 jackpots were claimed by individuals. 

Having gotten more out of my education than you did, I recognize that we're discussing something different. We're discussing the chances of people claiming a jackpot by playing individually vs the chances of people claiming a jackpot by playing in a group. Playing in groups resulted in 25 people who claimed jackpots. Playing individually resulted in 9 people who claimed jackpots. 25/34 = 73.5%. That's nearly a 3 to 1 advantage for people playing in groups where most people went to school.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by KY Floyd on Jan 20, 2012

I dispute it because I went to a better school and/or was more able to understand what was taught.

You'd be right if we were talking about the chances of a jackpot being claimed by an individual vs the chances of being claimed by a group. I'm counting the couples and families (and the 2 unknowns) as individuals, even though multiple family members may have bought tickets, so the 2010 results show that 9 of the 12 jackpots were claimed by individuals. 

Having gotten more out of my education than you did, I recognize that we're discussing something different. We're discussing the chances of people claiming a jackpot by playing individually vs the chances of people claiming a jackpot by playing in a group. Playing in groups resulted in 25 people who claimed jackpots. Playing individually resulted in 9 people who claimed jackpots. 25/34 = 73.5%. That's nearly a 3 to 1 advantage for people playing in groups where most people went to school.

Apples and oranges, floydie.

Those people in the groups didn't each win jackpots.

You can't compare the two.

Individuals win jackpots more often than groups do.

Period.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story