Welcome Guest
The time is now 6:48 pm
You last visited November 22, 2014, 6:20 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Rant About Greedy Non-Winners

Topic closed. 16 replies. Last post 3 years ago by RJOh.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Kumo's avatar - ebDWVf6 jpg?1

United States
Member #122240
January 27, 2012
168 Posts
Posted: January 27, 2012, 8:14 am - IP Logged

Hey Folks :)

I am so glad I found this forum, it has definitely given me some great ideas on what to do and what not to do if I ever win. Lately I've been looking over some of the lottery success stories and one thing that I found of interest in a 2008 article on the idahopress site was about Brad Duke's dream to meet Metallica.

"Brad planned for fun, too. When he first won, he announced intentions to splurge on a new house, car, mountain bike, a trip with friends and a meeting with his favorite band, Metallica."

A follow up further down the article...

"Metallica has yet to meet with Brad, only offering to charge him a $3 million fee for a private concert, which Brad said "put a damper on things." The band has so far turned down Brad's offer to attend a recording session in return for a donation to its favorite charity."

Absolutely rediculous, Metallica is litteraly set for life and from what I understand from the article, they are not willing to meet with a longtime fan that has nothing but good intentions in mind unless he forks over a huge sum for their own pockets...

I lost a lot of respect for them during the whole Napster fiasco years ago. After this, I'd definitely stop listening to their music. Any thoughts?

JAP69's avatar - Lottery-053.jpg
    South Carolina
    United States
    Member #6
    November 4, 2001
    8513 Posts
    Posted: January 27, 2012, 8:40 am - IP Logged

I am so glad I found this forum, it has definitely given me some great ideas on what to do and what not to do if I ever win. Lately I've been looking over some of the lottery success stories and one thing that I found of interest in a 2008 article on the idahopress site was about Brad Duke's dream to meet Metallica.

"Brad planned for fun, too. When he first won, he announced intentions to splurge on a new house, car, mountain bike, a trip with friends and a meeting with his favorite band, Metallica."

"Metallica has yet to meet with Brad, only offering to charge him a $3 million fee for a private concert, which Brad said "put a damper on things." The band has so far turned down Brad's offer to attend a recording session in return for a donation to its favorite charity."

Absolutely rediculous, Metallica is litteraly set for life and from what I understand from the article, they are not willing to meet with a longtime fan that has nothing but good intentions in mind unless he forks over a huge sum for their own pockets...

I lost a lot of respect for them during the whole Napster fiasco years ago. After this, I'd definitely stop listening to their music. Any thoughts?

Maybe Metallica feels doing that for one person will leave them open for many requsts from other people for the same privilege.

Stats hunting: Type

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      18020 Posts
      Posted: January 27, 2012, 9:03 am - IP Logged

Before Brad became a multi-millionaire, he would have been happy to buy a high priced ticket to attend one of their concerts with thousands of other fans and not given a thought about the money they made preforming.  Once he became a millionaire he expected a personal preformace for nothing, sounds like he was a greedy winner.

* you don't need more tickets, just the right ticket * 
      * your best chance at winning a lottery jackpot is to buy a ticket * 
           Wink 

United States
        Member #122240
        January 27, 2012
        168 Posts
        Posted: January 27, 2012, 9:09 am - IP Logged

Maybe Metallica feels doing that for one person will leave them open for many requsts from other people for the same privilege.

Good possibility and I can understand the need to limit certain activities, but it also would have been excellent publicity for them.

I'd reckon they could have directed any further requests towards their legal team to filter and to keep it from getting overwhelming.

lottolaughs's avatar - avatar 3824.gif
          California
          United States
          Member #40295
          May 31, 2006
          6686 Posts
          Posted: January 27, 2012, 9:17 am - IP Logged

Over the years I'm sure a band as successful as Metallica has had many odd, weird, strange and perhaps (sometimes) legit requests from the average fan. They don't know "Brad" from Adam...why should they meet him? Just because he won the lottery???!! Donations and charity's aside...they still don't know him from Aunt Myrtle down in Timbuktu so they are under no obligation whatsoever to meet or perform for him. As far as publicity...they probably don't care about that...they are well known and established.

United States
            Member #122240
            January 27, 2012
            168 Posts
            Posted: January 27, 2012, 9:19 am - IP Logged

Before Brad became a multi-millionaire, he would have been happy to buy a high priced ticket to attend one of their concerts with thousands of other fans and not given a thought about the money they made preforming.  Once he became a millionaire he expected a personal preformace for nothing, sounds like he was a greedy winner.

I don't think so, according to the old article, it seems he wanted to exchange a donation to Metallica's favorite charity in exchange for the meeting. Money going to a good cause, good publicity for Metallica and one fan's dream fullfilled.

United States
              Member #122240
              January 27, 2012
              168 Posts
              Posted: January 27, 2012, 9:39 am - IP Logged

Over the years I'm sure a band as successful as Metallica has had many odd, weird, strange and perhaps (sometimes) legit requests from the average fan. They don't know "Brad" from Adam...why should they meet him? Just because he won the lottery???!! Donations and charity's aside...they still don't know him from Aunt Myrtle down in Timbuktu so they are under no obligation whatsoever to meet or perform for him. As far as publicity...they probably don't care about that...they are well known and established.

Good point. After reading the article, I was a little disappointed in the way things turned out. Granted, winning the Lottery does not give someone a right to fulfill every single dream. Just seems it could have been different and for the better. :) For being in the public eye, it seems that Mr. Duke is doing an exceptional job of avoiding the typical pitfalls of the majority of Lottery winners.

I am not even going to start on the opposite side of the spectrum, there's one well known failure that I'd love to recommend a Darwin Award to.

Member #0
                January 1, 2000
                0 Posts
                Posted: January 27, 2012, 10:40 am - IP Logged

awwww, poor brad. Is he holding his breath in protest? what's next on his agenda, a tourist flight to mars for only 5 thousand bucks?

you know, i wish i had these problems

United States
                  Member #122240
                  January 27, 2012
                  168 Posts
                  Posted: January 27, 2012, 2:13 pm - IP Logged

awwww, poor brad. Is he holding his breath in protest? what's next on his agenda, a tourist flight to mars for only 5 thousand bucks?

you know, i wish i had these problems

Wow, I guess folks around here don't like him too much. After seeing so many fails, I thought seeing someone do something worthwhile with their fortune was pretty cool. I am new to this forum, was there something I missed?Sulk Off

Chicago
                    United States
                    Member #122157
                    January 25, 2012
                    9 Posts
                    Posted: January 27, 2012, 2:19 pm - IP Logged

He should have donted to MAke-A-Wish foundation, they probably have more clout to make the request happen... but then again he wasnt dying or anything....

United States
                      Member #122240
                      January 27, 2012
                      168 Posts
                      Posted: January 27, 2012, 2:33 pm - IP Logged

He should have donted to MAke-A-Wish foundation, they probably have more clout to make the request happen... but then again he wasnt dying or anything....

I asked my Wife for a 2nd opinion, she's got a pretty good knack at seeing things that I've sometimes missed. She thought it would have been best for him to organize a charitable concert to get his best shot at meeting them.  Can't say I disagree with her, in theory if done right it could possibly work.

garyo1954's avatar - garyo
                        Dallas, Texas
                        United States
                        Member #4549
                        May 2, 2004
                        1136 Posts
                        Posted: January 27, 2012, 3:26 pm - IP Logged

I asked my Wife for a 2nd opinion, she's got a pretty good knack at seeing things that I've sometimes missed. She thought it would have been best for him to organize a charitable concert to get his best shot at meeting them.  Can't say I disagree with her, in theory if done right it could possibly work.

Hard to say what to make of it. Probably dealing with booking agents or PR people.

Then you have the problem of what was meant by a private concert?

Would concert dates have to be rearranged or cancelled?

How many tickets do they normally sell?

Does he want a full show with the works? Lighting? Stage?

So many variables come into play, it is hard to say who was asking too much.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                          United States
                          Member #73904
                          April 28, 2009
                          14903 Posts
                          Posted: January 27, 2012, 4:02 pm - IP Logged

I don't think so, according to the old article, it seems he wanted to exchange a donation to Metallica's favorite charity in exchange for the meeting. Money going to a good cause, good publicity for Metallica and one fan's dream fullfilled.

Who is he to say they should do a show for him if he gives money to a charity? Just pay the band and let everybody give to their own charities as they see fit. I can understand perfectly the way Metallica felt about the deal. He's not their manager or booking agent, they don't work for him. If you want to meet them or have them perform for you, pay them. If you want to give to a charity, do it. But don't try to hold them hostage to some touchy-feely fantasy of yours. He's gotta be a lib.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                            mid-Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #9
                            March 24, 2001
                            18020 Posts
                            Posted: January 27, 2012, 4:28 pm - IP Logged

Wow, I guess folks around here don't like him too much. After seeing so many fails, I thought seeing someone do something worthwhile with their fortune was pretty cool. I am new to this forum, was there something I missed?Sulk Off

Folks around here don't know Brad except by name and that's only because they read about him winning a multi-million dollars lottery jackpot.  They have no reason to like him, dislike him or care about what he does with his fortune any more than any other lottery winner.

* you don't need more tickets, just the right ticket * 
                            * your best chance at winning a lottery jackpot is to buy a ticket * 
                                 Wink 

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                              Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                              United States
                              Member #73904
                              April 28, 2009
                              14903 Posts
                              Posted: January 27, 2012, 5:00 pm - IP Logged

It's the unmitigated gall of the request.

Here's what he's telling Metallica: "I want you to do a job for me because it's always been a fantasy of mine BUT I don't want to pay you for your work, I'm going to donate your pay to some charity."

Pffffffftttttt.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke