Welcome Guest
The time is now 1:59 pm
You last visited October 20, 2014, 1:54 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you think some people are more lucky than others when it comes to winning?

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 3 years ago by Stack47.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #122473
February 1, 2012
415 Posts
Posted: February 7, 2012, 11:30 am - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

I'm just curious to know what people think about some people just being more lucky than

others.  It seems that often I will either read stories of lottery winners who played for years on

end and finally after 30 years or so might win something big or never win anything after all those years

of playing. Then some people seem to have luck on their side and keep winning (okay maybe not the

big jackpot but enough wins to feel good).   I'm not sure what to think because I tell myself that it's such

a random thing like maybe just being in the right place at the right time.  I don't consider myself to be

lucky in life (not trying to sound negative)  it just seems to be the way my life has been.   Some people

will say they always had a feeling they would win one day and yet even when I keep saying positive

things about winning I know that hasn't made a difference, hehe.   Also know that sometimes you

have to hang in for years before one can win anything big if at all.  Just wondering what people  think

about people who do tend to be more lucky than other's.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    17933 Posts
    Posted: February 7, 2012, 11:48 am - IP Logged

All I know is "If you don't play then you can't win" and with odds of one in ten millions or more of winnng a jackpot there aren't going to be many winners.

* you don't need more tickets, just the right ticket * 
    * your best chance at winning a lottery jackpot is to buy a ticket * 
         Wink 

United States
      Member #111446
      May 25, 2011
      6323 Posts
      Posted: February 7, 2012, 12:00 pm - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

I'm just curious to know what people think about some people just being more lucky than

others.  It seems that often I will either read stories of lottery winners who played for years on

end and finally after 30 years or so might win something big or never win anything after all those years

of playing. Then some people seem to have luck on their side and keep winning (okay maybe not the

big jackpot but enough wins to feel good).   I'm not sure what to think because I tell myself that it's such

a random thing like maybe just being in the right place at the right time.  I don't consider myself to be

lucky in life (not trying to sound negative)  it just seems to be the way my life has been.   Some people

will say they always had a feeling they would win one day and yet even when I keep saying positive

things about winning I know that hasn't made a difference, hehe.   Also know that sometimes you

have to hang in for years before one can win anything big if at all.  Just wondering what people  think

about people who do tend to be more lucky than other's.

I believe there are people who have a "gift" for being more fortunate than others. Hear it all the time through news agencies, LP stories.......etc.

Call it good "karma", fate or fortune. Then there are those that are always negative....you can spot them right away. A quick way to find out how a person feels about themselves regarding luck is to simply ask them straight out. Do you play the lottery?, Are you lucky? Do you think you'll ever win?

Listening to the responses, you know immediately! I was purchasing a few ticket's last week at a regular supermarket when a conversation started between a few of us waiting in line to buy our tickets. A middle aged woman who was not buying tickets, overheard us and asked if any of us had ever won anything? We all had positive stories, including myself (I had won $200K with Powerball a few years back). When I asked her if she played she replied that I never win anything, and then continued that she didn't have the time to be buying tickets all the time. I suggested that she simply look into getting a season's pass from the lottery, where she would always be in the game. She then continued mumbling about reasons why she couldn't do that either!

To a degree, I believe your mindset, positive attitude and continued diligence play a role in your ultimate success in anything in life, including the lottery. Many LP members are quick to respond that this is all BSAnd that's great, that's diversity......we need that to keep everything fresh and in the open.

Good luck to you shyguitar.....may your numbers come up often!    Cheers

dk1421's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
        North Carolina
        United States
        Member #64582
        September 1, 2008
        332 Posts
        Posted: February 7, 2012, 12:11 pm - IP Logged

I truly believe there are some people like Gladstone Gander. I, myself, do NOT have luck. However, I am lucky to be married to someone who does. 

And yes, I do ask him to buy the lottery tix once in a while, just to boost our chances.

"Don't be a schmuck, always take the cash." -Coin Toss

New York's avatar - 103h4yr
          NYC
          United States
          Member #117988
          October 19, 2011
          1744 Posts
          Posted: February 7, 2012, 12:19 pm - IP Logged

Personally I don't see luck as a factor. Of course there may be winners who win often than others, but those who do had a plan on how to win, in my opinion. Honestly, relying on luck will make you more of a loser than a winner. The whole theory about a rabbit's foot or lucky charm gives negative results. Playing knowledgeably, having a plan, investing the right amout of money on your tickets, creates a winner. Once you have this in mind, than consider luck as a little factor. When the winning number is drawn, and you win, consider that lady luck was on your side because you helped yourself first... to win. 

All in all, I don't think "some people" are more luckier than others when they win because they had a plan to win. Hope that makes sense.

clutch31's avatar - Yavill
            dunkirk ny
            United States
            Member #83125
            November 29, 2009
            213 Posts
            Posted: February 7, 2012, 12:38 pm - IP Logged

I believe there are people who have a "gift" for being more fortunate than others. Hear it all the time through news agencies, LP stories.......etc.

Call it good "karma", fate or fortune. Then there are those that are always negative....you can spot them right away. A quick way to find out how a person feels about themselves regarding luck is to simply ask them straight out. Do you play the lottery?, Are you lucky? Do you think you'll ever win?

Listening to the responses, you know immediately! I was purchasing a few ticket's last week at a regular supermarket when a conversation started between a few of us waiting in line to buy our tickets. A middle aged woman who was not buying tickets, overheard us and asked if any of us had ever won anything? We all had positive stories, including myself (I had won $200K with Powerball a few years back). When I asked her if she played she replied that I never win anything, and then continued that she didn't have the time to be buying tickets all the time. I suggested that she simply look into getting a season's pass from the lottery, where she would always be in the game. She then continued mumbling about reasons why she couldn't do that either!

To a degree, I believe your mindset, positive attitude and continued diligence play a role in your ultimate success in anything in life, including the lottery. Many LP members are quick to respond that this is all BSAnd that's great, that's diversity......we need that to keep everything fresh and in the open.

Good luck to you shyguitar.....may your numbers come up often!    Cheers

i'm with you I dont win the lottery everyday but I play and yes I'm lucky because I can play everyday karma I do believe I can do it yes i'm lucky even when I don't win everyday !!!!

do something that helps you reclaim your smile. you deserve it!!!

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
              TX
              United States
              Member #121198
              January 4, 2012
              1195 Posts
              Posted: February 7, 2012, 1:00 pm - IP Logged

I am sure there are a few folks who fall into the multi wins category in each state...Go to our website here in Florida and look under the breaking news section that scrolls across the screen. You will see a woman who has won various prize sizes 47 different times. She just made another claim a few days ago. There is also a guy who won a million on a scratch ticket in 2010, then last year hit another scratch for 10 million(  same game)...is it luck??  could be...we also have that Richard Selzig( sp?) guy on the TLCML who's hit 7 diff prizes with the biggest being at $890,000.00 ....so  perhaps some luck or karma or prayer has played a part in it somehow..in MHO....... Gotta remain positive and vigilant....I will win soon Thumbs Up....I am leaning towards tonight or tomorrow night.... I would ask Santa but hes already promised me a Ronco pocket fisherman Thud

Stay Positive, Believe and good things will come your way

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                -Ridge Runner- Oracle of the Appalachians
                Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                United States
                Member #73904
                April 28, 2009
                14903 Posts
                Posted: February 7, 2012, 2:43 pm - IP Logged

Yep, I've known a few.

One of 'em was a miserable, crabby old sob and another one was a happy go lucky type, so I don't think personality or temperament have anything to do with it.

And if Karma was involved, I don't think that crabby old guy woulda won a dam thing.

I think luck visits everybody periodically but with some people it just comes more often.

I'm one it doesn't visit very often so I make sure to leave the door unlocked when it comes knocking by having a ticket (PB & MM) for every draw.

Cuz it might be here for that small jackpot and then go somewhere else for the humongous one.

Just my opinion.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                  Zeta Reticuli Star System
                  United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  9107 Posts
                  Posted: February 7, 2012, 3:47 pm - IP Logged

Yes, absolutely some people are luckier than others.

Consider:

From the book Infinite Financial Freedom
                  What To Do Before And After You Win The Lottery
                  Rob Sanford CFP
                  pp 22-23

Some of the more unusal ways that multi-million dollar winners have reporedly picled their winning numbers include using these:

A dart board's numbers hit by thowing darts;

A camera's serial number;

The serial number from a social Security check;

The lot number on a box of doughnuts bought while waiting in line to buy the winning ticket.

________________________________________________________________________

Nothing but luck in those examples.

And when people play birthdays, ages and anniversaries and hit, that's luck too.

No amount of tracking numbers or trying to develop a system can over-ride THE LUCK FACTOR.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Kentucky
                    United States
                    Member #32652
                    February 14, 2006
                    5510 Posts
                    Posted: February 7, 2012, 4:26 pm - IP Logged

Yes, absolutely some people are luckier than others.

Consider:

From the book Infinite Financial Freedom
                    What To Do Before And After You Win The Lottery
                    Rob Sanford CFP
                    pp 22-23

Some of the more unusal ways that multi-million dollar winners have reporedly picled their winning numbers include using these:

A dart board's numbers hit by thowing darts;

A camera's serial number;

The serial number from a social Security check;

The lot number on a box of doughnuts bought while waiting in line to buy the winning ticket.

________________________________________________________________________

Nothing but luck in those examples.

And when people play birthdays, ages and anniversaries and hit, that's luck too.

No amount of tracking numbers or trying to develop a system can over-ride THE LUCK FACTOR.

According to PB, 70% to 80% of the winning tickets are QPs. Are the players throwing darts more lucky than the players who just happened to be in the right place at the right time when the winning ticket was sold?

Will players who match all five numbers and win $1 million in the next PB drawing be considered lucky or will they be unlucky because they missed winning another $155 million by one number?

United States
                      Member #111446
                      May 25, 2011
                      6323 Posts
                      Posted: February 7, 2012, 4:31 pm - IP Logged

Yep, I've known a few.

One of 'em was a miserable, crabby old sob and another one was a happy go lucky type, so I don't think personality or temperament have anything to do with it.

And if Karma was involved, I don't think that crabby old guy woulda won a dam thing.

I think luck visits everybody periodically but with some people it just comes more often.

I'm one it doesn't visit very often so I make sure to leave the door unlocked when it comes knocking by having a ticket (PB & MM) for every draw.

Cuz it might be here for that small jackpot and then go somewhere else for the humongous one.

Just my opinion.

Hey rdgrnr; haven't been around to long; but couldn't help but notice you haven't made use of any Emoticon's. Is that  taboo for you?

Probably your just old school.....and that's cool!   Cool

Member #0
                        January 1, 2000
                        0 Posts
                        Posted: February 7, 2012, 4:37 pm - IP Logged

the definition of the word "Lucky" is debatable. I consider myself lucky I wasn't one of the over 50,000 who get killed every year driving their cars on the roads. Or that I'm lucky I haven't gotten cancer, or struck by lightning, murdered, and many other instances.

we hit the JP of life everyday and don't realize it. the only difference is that it doesn't involve dollars.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                          Zeta Reticuli Star System
                          United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          9107 Posts
                          Posted: February 7, 2012, 6:01 pm - IP Logged

According to PB, 70% to 80% of the winning tickets are QPs. Are the players throwing darts more lucky than the players who just happened to be in the right place at the right time when the winning ticket was sold?

Will players who match all five numbers and win $1 million in the next PB drawing be considered lucky or will they be unlucky because they missed winning another $155 million by one number?

Stack47,

It's all luck.....I was reluctant to mention the stats on the QP because there's a lot of resentment here about QPs (ut oh) but you're right, right place, right time. Approximately 104 drawings a year for PB and MM, and 12 to 15 jackpots hit, 70 to 80% of those, QPs. Yup, luck.

Not to mention people who hit a jackpot the first time they ever play.

Then how about the prison guard in NY who thought she bought a ticket for one game when it was for the other one and she hit a jackpot.

But regardless of how numbers are chosen anytime the six you've played are the six numbers draw it is nothing but luck.

Lep      Lep       Lep

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                            adelaide sa
                            Australia
                            Member #37136
                            April 11, 2006
                            2791 Posts
                            Posted: February 7, 2012, 6:21 pm - IP Logged

mmmmm doooouggghhhh nuts

im gonna have to try that trick next time i go buy some tickets. if all that fat and sugar dont clog up the old  money winning machine.

2014 winnings

JAN -$48.50;  FEB  -$77.5; MAR -$18.05;  APR -$96.05 MAY -$61.10; JUN $-85; JUL $-88.9;AUG -$144.10

yearly grand totalspent = 938.05won= 318.8-$619.25

Orlando, FL
                              United States
                              Member #115789
                              August 28, 2011
                              259 Posts
                              Posted: February 7, 2012, 7:45 pm - IP Logged

I'm kinda dissappointed that I haven't heard about another "Joan Ginther" win. Maybe she stopped playing?What?