Welcome Guest
The time is now 6:16 am
You last visited August 31, 2014, 6:14 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Auto pick numbers or pick them yourself??

Topic closed. 29 replies. Last post 3 years ago by time*treat.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #122867
February 9, 2012
15 Posts
Posted: February 12, 2012, 5:10 pm - IP Logged

I am a lottery noob I think lol. I have only played I would guess 10 drawings total between MM and PB since mid November. I am curious as to what most people do in regards to picking numbers for themselves or just doing the auto pick.

Should I start playing the same numbers over and over and see if that works or should I change each drawing? In the drawings I have taken part in I have picked my own numbers and changed them every time to basically zero success.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    17834 Posts
    Posted: February 12, 2012, 5:25 pm - IP Logged

What ever you do you're likely to lose.  It cost nothing to pick combinations and pretend you're playing and even post them on the prediction board for "bragging rights".  If you ever find something that works while you're pretending then you can start playing for real.

* you don't need more tickets, just the right ticket * 
    * your best chance to win a lottery jackpot is to buy a ticket * 
        Wink 

United States
      Member #122867
      February 9, 2012
      15 Posts
      Posted: February 12, 2012, 5:32 pm - IP Logged

What does "playing for real" entail? More than just the few bucks I am spending per draw?

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        9026 Posts
        Posted: February 12, 2012, 6:13 pm - IP Logged

What does "playing for real" entail? More than just the few bucks I am spending per draw?

Puting money in action and having a paid for ticket in your hand as oppossed to making predictions not played.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
          Member #122867
          February 9, 2012
          15 Posts
          Posted: February 12, 2012, 6:52 pm - IP Logged

So what I am gathering from this is that pretty much either way my chances of winning do not increase lol. Is there a history of one out performing the other?

New York's avatar - 103h4yr
            NYC
            United States
            Member #117988
            October 19, 2011
            1713 Posts
            Posted: February 12, 2012, 7:12 pm - IP Logged

I used to play my own numbers and my numbers half the time had a hit for the Powerball. However, I wasn't satisfied so decided to go playing quick picks. Quick picks failed everytime. In conclusion, I gave up on the power ball all together. 

Anyways, I'm deciding to go back to playing my own numbers because they were succesful half the time. I usually play the ages of my family and on Dec. 7, 2011 the numbers of my family's age were drawn but I didn't play. The whole night I was like this: 

Bang Head lol

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
              egg harbor twp.south jersey shore
              United States
              Member #112972
              June 29, 2011
              3104 Posts
              Posted: February 12, 2012, 7:21 pm - IP Logged

I used to play my own numbers and my numbers half the time had a hit for the Powerball. However, I wasn't satisfied so decided to go playing quick picks. Quick picks failed everytime. In conclusion, I gave up on the power ball all together. 

Anyways, I'm deciding to go back to playing my own numbers because they were succesful half the time. I usually play the ages of my family and on Dec. 7, 2011 the numbers of my family's age were drawn but I didn't play. The whole night I was like this: 

Bang Head lol

this is why i like QPs,i play my own #set on jc5 and now afraid to miss a day cause been playin them for over 10 yrs,

had 3of5 a bunch of times,pays $ 11to$14,and once 4of5 paid $542,once i get all 5 i'll switch to QPs,

like i play on my MMs and states pic6 game.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

NYC
                United States
                Member #117988
                October 19, 2011
                1713 Posts
                Posted: February 12, 2012, 7:33 pm - IP Logged

this is why i like QPs,i play my own #set on jc5 and now afraid to miss a day cause been playin them for over 10 yrs,

had 3of5 a bunch of times,pays $ 11to$14,and once 4of5 paid $542,once i get all 5 i'll switch to QPs,

like i play on my MMs and states pic6 game.

I was so upset that the winning numbers for Dec. 7 appeared. Those numbers were 03-14-20-39-40, Powerball: 37. 

My little brother is 3 years old, my sister is 14, I'm 20, and my mom is currently 39 turning 40. I always had these numbers for both MM and PB but that day I did not play. I was focusing all my money on pick 3 that it passed my mind. Next thing you know those great wonderful ages of my family showed. I was very frustrated lol. Seems like those numbers will never show again. Frown

When I find the charger for my camera, I will post all the tickets with these numbers for you all. 

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                  egg harbor twp.south jersey shore
                  United States
                  Member #112972
                  June 29, 2011
                  3104 Posts
                  Posted: February 12, 2012, 7:50 pm - IP Logged

I was so upset that the winning numbers for Dec. 7 appeared. Those numbers were 03-14-20-39-40, Powerball: 37. 

My little brother is 3 years old, my sister is 14, I'm 20, and my mom is currently 39 turning 40. I always had these numbers for both MM and PB but that day I did not play. I was focusing all my money on pick 3 that it passed my mind. Next thing you know those great wonderful ages of my family showed. I was very frustrated lol. Seems like those numbers will never show again. Frown

When I find the charger for my camera, I will post all the tickets with these numbers for you all. 

when you play your family,ages instead of birthdays your #s will change everyyear and not all will change at the same time.

what happens if you play 04-15-21-40-41 for 52 weeks and the #s show on week 53 after you just changed em again ?

yea, i be upset too. where did you get the 37 ?

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                    -Ridge Runner- Oracle of the Appalachians
                    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                    United States
                    Member #73904
                    April 28, 2009
                    14903 Posts
                    Posted: February 12, 2012, 8:19 pm - IP Logged

So what I am gathering from this is that pretty much either way my chances of winning do not increase lol. Is there a history of one out performing the other?

Quick Picks are said to win about 70% of the time.

But you didn't hear it from me.

Surrender

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      17834 Posts
                      Posted: February 12, 2012, 8:27 pm - IP Logged

There is history to prove anything you want, just ask the winners who picked their own numbers, bought QPs or played the same numbers for years before they won.

* you don't need more tickets, just the right ticket * 
                      * your best chance to win a lottery jackpot is to buy a ticket * 
                          Wink 

LottoGuyBC's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
                        British Columbia
                        Canada
                        Member #116105
                        September 4, 2011
                        3517 Posts
                        Posted: February 12, 2012, 8:30 pm - IP Logged

pick them myself (99% of the time)  Cheers

QuickPick (1%) Poke

"You have to be in it to win it!"

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                          adelaide sa
                          Australia
                          Member #37136
                          April 11, 2006
                          2790 Posts
                          Posted: February 12, 2012, 8:58 pm - IP Logged

my  recent fetish for lotto number picking, is to go to random.org and type in all the numbers in a draw.

ie 1-55, or what ever for your powerball. then use their random list, so it puts only ea number once but in a random order. then i mark em on my tickets, if i use the whole lot, i start again , if i only mark 4 lines i dont get every number in the draw.

I then play em till i get something big, here our games are 1-45 so a 4 +b or 5 would be pretty big.

i would replay  the numbers;  because im lazy, until a 4+b or 5 came up. sooo im still playing , and i just started this plan as of new years. so have just changed all my numbers over.

2014 winnings

JAN -$48.50;  FEB  -$77.5; MAR -$18.05;  APR -$96.05 MAY -$61.10; JUN $-85; JUL $-88.9;AUG -$144.10

yearly grand totalspent = 938.05won= 318.8-$619.25

United States
                            Member #122867
                            February 9, 2012
                            15 Posts
                            Posted: February 12, 2012, 9:28 pm - IP Logged

Quick Picks are said to win about 70% of the time.

But you didn't hear it from me.

Surrender

Perhaps I should try this a few times and see what happens.

NYC
                              United States
                              Member #117988
                              October 19, 2011
                              1713 Posts
                              Posted: February 12, 2012, 10:34 pm - IP Logged

when you play your family,ages instead of birthdays your #s will change everyyear and not all will change at the same time.

what happens if you play 04-15-21-40-41 for 52 weeks and the #s show on week 53 after you just changed em again ?

yea, i be upset too. where did you get the 37 ?

That's way true but that year 2011, those numbers (my family's ages) felt special to me. They aligned so perfectly, that they looked like winners.

Seems like that theory of mines was true. As for the 04-15-21, etc., week 53, I change them, then they show, I think I'll jump off the bridge lmao! lol jk but I'll be very upset at myself for not using my gut I guess, lol. 

As for the 37, I still wouldn't have won the big Jackpot because I played the powerball as 13, my Grandpa's birth date (it's one of my favorites). Two hundred and fifty-thousand would've been really fine though. Thumbs Up